[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Uni/ General ywn be a math major edition

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 17

File: 9695294.png (51KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
9695294.png
51KB, 250x187px
>tfw would have gotten a 100 on my calc II test if it wasn't for a silly mistake
>>
>>36627996
Don't feel bad mate. I have a B.S. in math and have been unemployed for a while.(3 months).
>>
File: 1462779536800.png (201KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1462779536800.png
201KB, 576x432px
>tfw you said you would never need any of this once you graduate and you actually need it
>>
>tfw would have gotten a D on my English exam if I hadn't dropped out
>>
How the fuck do I make friends in my major? I have zero friends here. Even the super autists have made friends. I don't know how to talk to people at all.
>>
File: TIX8uaA.jpg (847KB, 1424x1424px) Image search: [Google]
TIX8uaA.jpg
847KB, 1424x1424px
>>36628081
>math
Should have taken a real degree, goober.
>>
File: 1452483208807.jpg (128KB, 740x722px) Image search: [Google]
1452483208807.jpg
128KB, 740x722px
>tfw failing every class
>>
File: IMG_5511.jpg (112KB, 1223x1240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5511.jpg
112KB, 1223x1240px
>>36628229
>tfw on the cusp of just passing every class
>mfw every final exam is going to be on a pass/fail basis practically
It's gotten to the point where if I don't either abuse Adderal or get a girlfriend, I'm not going to make it.
>>36627996
I got a 36% on my first Calc II exam before I dropped it. Good thing I didn't need it for my major.
>>
>>36628081
Sorry to hear that anon. I hope you find something.
>>
File: 1446767383564.jpg (88KB, 500x552px) Image search: [Google]
1446767383564.jpg
88KB, 500x552px
Looks like I'm going to fail the same class a second time
I'm on my second semester and I'm on academic probation(this is my first time on it I'm also a freshman)
I have an a and 2 bs and I needed this to raise my GPA to a 2.0
Should I transfer to a community college and will me being on probation effect the aid I get at a community college?
I'm thinking maybe I should just give up
Gghh
>>
>>36628081
Applied mathematics will be your salvation my friend
>>
>>36629425
which class? original bbkkbb
>>
>>36628170
>Should have taken a real degree

How is math not a real degree?
>>
File: horribel.gif (188KB, 559x373px) Image search: [Google]
horribel.gif
188KB, 559x373px
>>36627996
>always hate school
>just wanted to get a low skill job after hs
>don't even care about money since no gf and don't have hobbies
>parents force me to go to college
>fucking miserable now
>barely passing classes
>have to spend hours studying every week just to get Cs
>still no major declared
>have to move to different state for uni
>can't see friends anymore
>college is a fucking party school full of chads and stacys
>don't want to make friends with these fucking people

fuck college! FUCK... COLLEGE!!!
>>
>>36627996
Finals coming up next week. Gotta score a 90+ on a hard exam to pass, but my other classes are good so if I do I'll get a 3.5. I'm done being a fucking loser, I'm picking up my book and studying rn. I believe in you guys too
>>
File: 1492634914653.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1492634914653.png
64KB, 658x901px
>>36627996
Looking for the anon from last night

boards.4chan.org/r9k/thread/36611533

You told me you live in IN after I fell asleep, I am in state right next to you, we should go to same uni and room together anon.
>>
>>36627996
>mfw got 110 on my calc2 test and I'm not even majoring in math
>mfw.jpg
>extra credit too easy
brainlets BTFO

t. UCSC history major (going into medicine)
>>
>>36629705
it's a real degree, but as far as STEM degrees go it's pretty shit.
have fun being a teacher I guess.
>>
>>36629705
It's almost as much of a meme as sociology or something.

>Go to school and get into thousands of dollars of debt for a degree
>as you near graduation, an old acquaintance shows up
>"Oh hey anon, you're almost done with school right! What did you major in again?"
>"M....math"
>"....Math? Like, was it an engineering program, or some science thing, or...?"
>"M-math...."
>"It had to be something more specific than that anon, haha! What sort of STEM-related job just wants a 'math' degree?"
>"I....I don't know....."
>"Are you sure you didn't have some sort of specialized degree? You just spent four or five years learning equations and getting into debt but you didn't get trained in anything you could actually *do* with that stuff...?"
>*you autistically run away to do more Log problems and cry*
>>
>>36630173
>do more Log problems and cry
Somebody with not even a highschool education really can't talk shit about math degrees, and this is coming from cs degree where autistic math majors are always dumping on us.
>>
>>36629834
>as far as STEM degrees go it's pretty shit.
have fun being a teacher I guess.

So why is there even an M in STEM anyways?

You really think a B.S. in the Hard sciences like biology, chemistry, or physics is any better? What the hell can you do with just an undergraduate degree in physics?

Most degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on. This goes for STEM degrees. I know so many engineering graduates who are working shitty jobs in retail and food service. Many of them have to go back for master's degrees to compete in the job market.

STEM is a meme started by baby boomers to shift the blame onto the younger generation.
>>
>>36629834
>>36630173
t.brainlets
>>
>>36629813
>tfw spending shit load of money at another overpriced UC uni and time to get 40k a year

Nice lad
>>
>>36629425
At my school they don't allow you to take a class a third time if you're on acedemic probation.
In my opinion, you should be allowed to retake a class as many times as you'd like. I guess the problem with that is a few students per class maybe there to just to take up space and fail.
>>
>>36627996
Any master race CS memers here?

>tfw offered a 10k sign on bonus and 60k a year from local company that came in last month
>just became junior
>>
File: (you).png (263KB, 445x668px) Image search: [Google]
(you).png
263KB, 445x668px
>>36630334
I'd rather be a free brainlet than a numbercuck
>>
>>36630410
This doesn't make any sense. Kys.
>>
File: breakdown.jpg (141KB, 731x630px) Image search: [Google]
breakdown.jpg
141KB, 731x630px
>be in medschool
>just study for tests
>2017, starting internship
>I know shit
>mfw will graduate in about a year and become a shitty doctor
>>
>>36630378
I'm not paying shit LUL financial aid covers all my costs LUL made sure I wasn't getting jew'd out. Literally cheaper than k-12 :)
>>
Mathbots, I have a calc 2 test coming up involving parametric functions and polar curves. How do I graph that shit? I can barely follow polar curve graphing
>>
>>36630656
your question is too vague to help you
>>
>>36630704
Sounds like you're just too stupid to answer his question.
>>
>>36629674
Trig
Hgh
>>
File: muh.png (77KB, 474x398px) Image search: [Google]
muh.png
77KB, 474x398px
>>36630504
>spending years of your life and hundreds of dollars getting degree in doing number shit
you don't make sense!
>>
>>36630656
Read your textbook or go online for help. They're not hard you can figure this out anon. For polar curves it might help to sketch the graph in Cartesian coordinates first.

>>36630798
I'm an Electrical Engineering major. I might double major in math though. When I do then you can insult me.
>>
File: tfw too intelligent.jpg (121KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tfw too intelligent.jpg
121KB, 1000x1000px
>>36630781
>taking trig in
really wish they'd stop letting brainlets like you into college, it's just making everything worse for all us nonretards.
>>
>>36630861
>I might double major in math though. When I do then you can insult me.
sounds like a plan
>>
>>36630173
>Go to school and get into thousands of dollars of debt for a degree
lol what the fuck, if you can't afford university don't go to university
>>
>>36630624
what kind of grades did you need to get into medschool? and mcat score?
>>
>>36630656
Sketching parametric: it obviously depends on what your function is. If it's something like (t,f(t)) then it's just your usual y=f(x) sort of deal in the x,y plane (instead of having points on the graph of (x,f(x)), they are now (t,f(t)).

If it's something more complicated, like (f(t),g(t)) then I would look for suitable values of t to get a few points down. eg. if it involves trig functions, then look for t=0, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, pi etc. If it doesn't, look at t = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. You shouldn't need a lot, as you will be looking for a general shape you can fill in.

Be sure to exploit symmetry (grants you some free points, if applicable, as they will be whatever it takes to make it symmetric), and make sure you are aware of the domain of your function. If it is [0,1], do not feed it t=2!

Sketching polar: Polar coordinates have a radial and an angular component. The radial decides how far from the origin you are, and the angular decides how far "around" you are, measured counter-clockwise from the positive x-axis.

So if you have r = constant, you know immediately you have a circle of radius constant. Why? Because your points are always constant distance a from the origin, which means they lie on a circle.

Another common one is r(theta)=theta, which is a spiral. Why? As your angle increases, you get further away. If this doesn't make sense, try drawing it - it will make a spiral.

If you have something like r as a function of theta, and you are really not sure what the hell is going on, treat it like the parametric equation above: substitute in suitable values of theta to get some sample points, then try to fill in the details based on that. Again, make sure you are aware of the domain you are working on. If you have something like r is a function of theta, and that function is a trig function, you will see some periodicity. ie. r=cos^2(theta) will repeat itself after 2pi, because cos(x+2pi)=cos(x).

Do some more practice problems. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>36630173
>log problems
>equations

i see you're an engineer brainlet. no wonder you hate the math fags
>>
i literally have no idea how you fail to graph parametric, literally plug in values of t and get the points to graph. then connect the dots.

for polar, learn the important curves like cardioids, rose curves, limacons and others, and remember the formulas that graph them. remembering those should get you at least a 90 on the polar section. If all else fails, plug in 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 and figure it out
>>
File: 1486919174678.jpg (45KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1486919174678.jpg
45KB, 409x409px
>>36627996
>tfw Spanish major, about to graduate
>tfw just got a comfy work from home medical interpreter job
>>
File: shino3.jpg (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
shino3.jpg
61KB, 500x375px
>>36631801
Do you happen to be Australian?
>>
>>36631984
Nope, burgerlander
>>
>>36631992
Damn. I thought I found an old friend on here.
>>
>tfw barely passed precalc
How the fuck am I gonna do calc 1-3?

Tell me it miraculously gets easier from here.
>>
File: mathisfun.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mathisfun.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>36627996
You have been muted for 2 seconds, because your comment was too low in calories (0.00% content).
>>
>>36632037
OP here. I got a 69 in precalculus in highschool. I was really depressed and unmotivated back then but now I've rekindled my love for math. I got an A in Calc 1 and currently have one in Calc 2. It's possible.
>>
>>36630290
>what can you do with just an undergrad in physics

I became an aerospace engineer
>>
>>36630290
>I know so many engineering graduates who are working shitty jobs in retail and food service. Many of them have to go back for master's degrees to compete in the job market.
They obviously did jack shit in Uni.
>>
File: ugh wojak.png (14KB, 635x773px) Image search: [Google]
ugh wojak.png
14KB, 635x773px
Music major edition when, I hate math... Also where'd the other musician anon go, I wanted to talk to them some but the thread died
>>
File: 1470747911403.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470747911403.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
Any other robots do a complete turn around from being a robot in uni? I want to completely change my life around next semester, I have two years left and I want to at least spend them having friends and maybe a gf but at the very least not being the depressed lonely sack of shit I am now. But I've never had even had friends before and I have no idea how to make them, how to approach people or keep a conversation going. I plan on going to clubs next semester but I feel like that's going to go nowhere like it did last time I tried and it'll just end up being me getting sad and watching all the normies interact like it's so natural for them while I'm completely left out.
>>
>>36632616
I don't think you're the type of person who would benefit from going to bars/clubs. Try to find organizations/groups in your uni that are based around one of your interests
>>
>>36632654
>organizations/groups
Which is what I mean by clubs stuff like gaming club but the last few times I went no one talked to me and I had no idea how to talk to others the few people I did try to talk to were already with friends and didn't seem interested in talking at all. As far as I know we don't even have bar type clubs around me only a few old shitty taverns
>>
>>36627996
High school can be rough.
>>
Classes are over but I still have exams. I'm good for most of them, but fucking Chemistry, why is it so hard? I'm taking CH101 for the second time, and I still hardly understand it. I'll be lucky to make a C in the class, which I need to get into an engineering department. I'm not even trying to get into a field that requires any chemistry.
>>
>Math major
>Not getting credit for a 5 on calc BC in HS.

What are you doing with your life
>>
>>36633345
>going to a school non-shitty enough to even have that many AP classes
get out normalfaggot.
>>
The only class I'm getting an A in is Chemistry Lab. I hardly show to the other classes, and the only reason I consistently go to that one is because my lab partner is a cutie girl.
>>
>>36632753
whats so bad about chem 101? Honestly I thought chem 1 and 2 werent too bad until I got to Ochem
>>
>>36633345
I'm not a math major.
>>
>>36630656
I have that same test coming up next Monday. If you have a TI-84 click "MODE" and the fourth line down that is ""FUNC PAR POL SEQ" move the blinking box over to par for parabolic or pol for polar.

Then you just hit the y= button, input the two functions for X,Y and hit the graph button. It'll graph it for you and even show you the direction to draw the arrows (the direction the graph is drawn).

If you hit "2ND -> TABLE" you can put in t values to graph it yourself since the TI-84 graph can be hard to read.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.