[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like reading books? It's so boring.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

File: 1453494518954.jpg (12KB, 296x296px) Image search: [Google]
1453494518954.jpg
12KB, 296x296px
Why do people like reading books? It's so boring.
>>
I literally cannot read for longer than a minute. I lose concentration instantly.

Who else /toodumbtoread/?
>>
File: 1343774894273.jpg (56KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1343774894273.jpg
56KB, 550x550px
>>36555146
I agree. I'm too fucking American to read shit senpai
>>
If you're reading then you have the author's voice in your head instead of your own for a while. That has a lot of appeal for some people.
>>
itt: brainlets
>>
>was forced to read shit books in school
>still hate reading
>only read technical manuals
fiction is as bad a habit as video games
>>
I don't even read posts on 4chan except accidentally as in this instance.
I merely shitpost and run.
I barely even think about my typing because that's a lot like reading too.
>>
File: Threemilk.jpg (109KB, 1084x995px) Image search: [Google]
Threemilk.jpg
109KB, 1084x995px
>>36555146
I agree.

The only thing I'm able to read is manga and comic books.
>>
>>36555257
What happens when you get replies?
I'm making you read fagit
>>
>>36555146
Stop posting pictures of my kot i hope you don't stumble on the lewd ones
>>
Pretentious people thinking they're intelligent and above most. Video games are the superior medium.
>>
>>36555226
Brainlets are the true robots. Intelligence is the most important asset you can have nowadays.
>>
>>36555291
I didn't read your post, faggot
>>
>>36555146
Are you reading fiction?
I thought the same thing until I read something that wasn't shit
>>
>>36555146
As compared to what? Watching YouTube videos?
>>
File: 1491361909601.png (17KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1491361909601.png
17KB, 650x650px
>normies see words on paper
>I see vividly detailed world
get fucked normie brainlets
>>
>>36555291
Not him but i don't read replies too most of my (you)'s go unanswered sometimes i close the tab just after i am done shitposting.
>>
What have you tried to read, OP? Most boys really get a kick out of "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. It's full of violence and death.
>>
File: 1492189717873.jpg (52KB, 640x772px) Image search: [Google]
1492189717873.jpg
52KB, 640x772px
>>36555146
Only normies hate reading. You have to self-insert yourself as the mc.
>>
>>36555339
It seems that you love reading so much, you even had to read the spoilers. That's weather-controlling level homosexual behavior.
>>
>>36555400
I haven't tried to read anything lately because I don't like reading. The last time I read a book was in highschool
>>
>>36555146
When you say it like that..
>>
>>36555146
Funny thing is I used to like reading, I'm just too distracted to collect myself and read shit nowadays.
>>
>hates reading
>has only read what he's been forced to

Makes sense.
>>
File: btfo guy.png (781KB, 1156x910px) Image search: [Google]
btfo guy.png
781KB, 1156x910px
>>36555390
Smart

Origional
>>
>>36555400
yea nah mate i had enough just by reading the back cover its still had a lot of words. Reading is for faggots anyway.
>>
>>36555503
i used to read all the time in elementary school. i dont know what made me stop.

i loved a series of unfortunate events.
>>
>>36555387
Exactly the same. I honestly feel bad for normies since they don't get to experience this incredible feeling
>>
>>36555146
It's not boring unless you're a nigger.
>>
>there are books on pretty much anything you can think of
>you can make your imagination stronger
>you can be smarter as opposed to just appearing smarter
>you can be more knowledgable and have a better understanding of the world
>you can increase your vocabulary and improve language and communication skills

Reading becomes fun and engaging when you read the things you want to read.
>>
a picture is a 1000 words and a video a 1000 pictures, why read a boring story made up by someone, it's only interesting if its giving facts
>>
>>36555613
Tell me what to read. I want to be all of those things
>>
>>36555532
Roll safe is such a great nigger life is unfair i'd gladly consider him honorary white just for his sick bantz.
>>
File: 1490545584073.png (70KB, 852x944px) Image search: [Google]
1490545584073.png
70KB, 852x944px
>>36555423
>mc is stupid asshole
>>
I get my /lit/ fix through audiobooks. I work nights stocking shelves and have 4 to 5 hours of relative solitude for serious listening. Finding the time for print is impossible, and puts me to sleep way too quickly,but a good performance of a book by a reader who gives characters distinctive voices is a treat. Try Librovox if you're poor,or Audible if you aren't, and enjoy.
>>
i used to like reading novels. I recommend the short story "The elephant vanishes" by haruki.
>>
>>36555613
>you can be smarter as opposed to just appearing smarter

not if im reading novels
>>
>>36555645
Go on Amazon and start browsing. Look for books on subjects that you like.

>>36555893
Then don't read novels, smarty-pants.
>>
>>36555146
I can only read fantasy like game of thrones. Other kind of books just bore me
>>
>>36555941
I don't have any money

oreginoliiy
>>
File: adop123.png (723KB, 900x742px) Image search: [Google]
adop123.png
723KB, 900x742px
>>36555941
i like em tho. especially that naughty book that ive read. makes me diamonds
>>
>>36555146
Anyone that doesn't enjoy books just has no imagination.

I don't mean that as a meme I mean just mentally not being able to imagine things.
>>
File: omam.jpg (13KB, 215x335px) Image search: [Google]
omam.jpg
13KB, 215x335px
>>36555645
As a first book, I'd recommend Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck. It's super comfy and pretty short. It's also a great story.
>>
>>36556011
You can download books. You can get one zip file with thousands of books, fiction and nonfiction.
>>
>>36556078
No true. I have a very great imagination. I like to spend time doing nothing other than thinking or daydreaming. I just prefer to imagine what I want to imagine rather than being forced to imagine something already written
>>
>>36555146
Most books are. Some are fun, but my issue is that you cannot eat while doing it, nor drink, because my vision loses vocus, and obviously you cannot sit back and eat for obvious reasons. Audio books are harder to get ahold of, and you cannot control the speed of which you read, I'd imagine. Even if you could, the noise would bother me, I read in silence. There isn't a voice necessarily.

Example of a fun book OP, in case you never read it, is maximum ride. I never finished, because it got lame after the mysteries went away. Door open I like.

The eragon books too, but the ending made me cringe hard.

Just two teen fiction suggestions, because you've probably only read hawy potta.

DON'T READ HUNGER GAMES AND OTHER POLITICLAL PROPAGANDA DON'T JUST DON'T

STOP PROGRAMMING CHILDREN FUCKERS

>DIVERGENT
>ETC
YAMETE

They've made a few and it's what stopped me from reading new popular teen fiction.
>>
>>36556261
>teen fiction

I'd rather read nothing.
>>
im read the books for the tv show the expanse right now because i dont feel like waiting a year for the new season.

i dont read much
>>
>>36556303
I suppose you don't watch teen anime nor read teen manga neither do you fagget?
>>
>>36556011
Go to a library then. Ask for help from a librarian, that's why they are there.
>>
>>36556332
I don't. I actually hate both of those things too. I hate all anime and manga honestly
>>
They make you noticeably sharper and provide you with concise information about how things work.

And fiction is can be incredibly relaxing and escapist.

The problem is there are so many shit books. Find stuff that engages you.
>>
>>36556011
So you sit and watch the data fly by and seek out nothing.
>>
>>36556011
are you friendless?
>>
File: 1423367163873.png (331KB, 356x443px) Image search: [Google]
1423367163873.png
331KB, 356x443px
>>36556361
Then get off the website.
>>
>>36556144
Where
>>36556346
Too scared
>>36556401
Hmm?
>>36556435
Of course. Why else would I be here?
>>36556447
No
>>
File: download (5).jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
11KB, 275x183px
>>36556561
I'd tell you how to download the books, but you don't like anime, so you're not cool enough brah. You let the data fly by and do no research. It's on the tips of your finger tips. You could do research on proper evasion with vpn and such, but nu.

And learn the legalities of having backup copies,

BUT NUU

And libraries are full of books everyone knows that.
>>
>>36556681
I'm too much of a brainlet to understand what youre talking about. I also don't know how to like anime, and trap faggots turn me away from it
>>
Think about it, it will come to you.

Or ask an adult for help, I don't know.
>>
>>36556561
>Of course. Why else would I be here?
alright then, here's your spoon from a sympathetic friendless loser:
https://sites.google.com/site/themetalibrary/library-genesis
>>
>>36555146
The only reason that people associate reading books with intelligence is that before the printing press and public education, almost all books where textbooks, manuals, or encyclopedias, and they where extremely expensive, so only the wealthy with a lot of spare time could read them and gain knowledge.
In reality, text is just another form of media, with pros and cons compared to video, audio, and speech. For example, It takes less data to transmit the same idea over text than over audio, but text can't quite capture exact tones of voice, or have the receiver of the message truly understand how an animal they've never heard before sounds, for example.
Logically, reading books for entertainment makes less sense than watching movies produced before they had audio, but people still do it because, to an extent, we still associate books with intelligence even though we don't have a reason to anymore.
>>
>>36557121
You're right. My dog can read.
>>
>>36557091
In addition to being a friendless loser I am also a clueless brainlet. Is it safe and legal to download from their?
>>
>>36555337
>Brainlets are the true robots

Based on what goes on here, you're not wrong
>>
>>36555146
Because they have imagination
>They're so boring
You sir do not
>>
>>36557285
If I don't have an imagination then why do I spend most of my time daydreaming?
>>
>>36557199
it's not legal and there's no guarantee you won't get malware

but do you think the authorities would rather hunt you down for downloading a shitty 2mb pdf over a normie undergrad dealing cocaine at a frat party? they won't go after even this normalfag, let alone you
>>
File: illustrated-man-1.jpg (47KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
illustrated-man-1.jpg
47KB, 304x500px
I like to read books because I like to dive into my own private worlds that are mine only. Also I like the way how reading a book takes so long, even several weeks if you are doing it only now and then. It means that you can spend a lot of your time in that private world that you created. It's not the same with movies or even tv-series. Tv-series last long, even years, but once you saw the latest episode, it sort of vanishes from your mind while the story of the book lingers on and reminds of itself every now and then. Also when reading a book, I often times feel as if I was being loved and cared for, as if I had friends. I do not feel that when watching tv or movies.
>>
>Loved reading as a child
>But reading has to come off natural, you know
>Forced to read shit books at school, one/month for 3 years, resulting in countless boring stories about ww2 (I'm spaghetti so here we are very strict)
>Don't touch a book for years, only manuals and/or auto/biographies

Don't force someone to read.
Also, now "reading books" is normie, with all these shit novels around and fake hipsters so
>>
>>36555146
Read Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>36558071
Excuse me "The Lord of the Rings"
>>
>>36558071
the lotr books are pretty boring

i honestly like the movies more.
>>
>>36558101
Yeah, he does spend a lot of time explaining details but the books are comfy and the movies left out Tom Bombadil.
>>
File: 1491585548156.jpg (51KB, 299x353px) Image search: [Google]
1491585548156.jpg
51KB, 299x353px
>>36558071
I couldn't even stay awake though the movies. Do you want to put them off books for good?
>>
if youve ever watched the movie the room you need to go read the disaster artist

funniest shit i have ever read in my life
>>
>>36556082
This. Short, interesting, manly story.
>>
>>36555337
>Intelligence is the most important asset you can have nowadays.
Not when you want to be happy.
>>
>>36558250
>Do you want to put them off books for good?
I don't think anyone would care, brainlet.
>>
File: img_2064.jpg (245KB, 634x845px) Image search: [Google]
img_2064.jpg
245KB, 634x845px
Just purchased this from a used bookseller online. Should be here in a few days hopefully. Can't wait to start reading it. Currently halfway through One Hundred Years of Solitude. What are you guys currently reading?
>>
>>36557121

You've said yourself why it's still associated with intelligence, it requires more brainpower to enjoy reading than it does to watch media. The act of imagining how someone sounds or the way a scene looks from a description is using your brain in a productive manner. That's not to say you can't be using your brain while watching television (even trashy television) or listening to music, you obviously can, but it's more of a passive process whereas even reading a shitty young adult book is an active process.
>>
>>36555146
Not everyone is a fucking brainlet like you
>>
>>36555178

I've been trying to read a short book and if I don't make sure to devote time to it every day I will go months without picking it up. The fucking thing is barely half an inch thick and after 4 months I'm still not even halfway done.
>>
>>36558605
>likes LOTR
>calls others brainlets
el oh el
>>
Read the jumper books too. And yes the one books you should skip are the lotr books that were movies

Jumper was a movie, but it's the kind they ruin by not following the actual book. there are four books of that. It was banned from libraries from being kids book because it was too real about sexuality.

There's alot of best time sellers you know.

But yeah, don't watch the movie first. That's gay. If you know about a movie that was a book, don't watch it. Use that as a guide to find a good book instead, unless it's lotr.
>>
>>36558181
Tom Bombadil would've been dumb in the movies.
>>
You find it hard to read because

A. You're not interested enough in whatever you're reading

B. Your short attention span needs you to be more stimulated by moving pictures or controlling a game

C. You're a fag because you're the original poster
>>
>>36555146
Reading is fun desu senpai. I try to get back into it periodically and I always enjoy it but then life happens and I have to drop it. I also find it pretty relaxing and if you get really into the book then you literally lose all track of time and the words basically turn to pictures in your head. Books also stick to your head a lot longer than shows or games.
Like another anon said the biggest downsides are that you can't eat or drink while reading. Also if you are looking to get started in reading go to your local library and just pick up books that look interesting. Although if you don't like a book drop it never force yourself to read something you dont want to . You'll only hate reading more. Take a look at short stories since they are low time commitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjjO8TkOM7U
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.