[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are normies so religious? Let's have an actual discussion

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 31

File: 1474231854530.jpg (44KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1474231854530.jpg
44KB, 540x540px
Why are normies so religious?

Let's have an actual discussion and not a bunch of faggots posting fedora memes

Think about it. These retards actually think that a Jew born from a virgin died and came back to life because we all sin because a talking snake told the first human woman to eat a fruit from a tree that some desert semitic god told them not to eat.

Are normies literally insane

It's funny because they make fun of scientology for being such obviously made up bullshit, but they think that just because their religion is older then that means it's not equally ridiculous.
>>
File: 1491954284649.png (1MB, 684x1766px) Image search: [Google]
1491954284649.png
1MB, 684x1766px
It's almost as if people enjoy tradition and socializing with other human beings.
>>
File: 1491459420813.jpg (36KB, 720x611px) Image search: [Google]
1491459420813.jpg
36KB, 720x611px
>>36546039
Why do we have to believe a bunch of made up nonsense just to have tradition and socializing
>>
>>36545991
You seem butthurt about something relating to religion. But what has you so butthurt, anon?
>>
>an actual discussion
>not a bunch of faggots
>posting fedora memes

>These retards actually think
>Are normies literally
>obviously made up bullshit
>>
>>36546061
>point out how illogical religion is
>hurrrrr why are you so butthurt bro lol
Worthless post.
>>
>>36546071
Get off this board and never return, Norman.
>>
File: 1382439213073.jpg (62KB, 500x611px) Image search: [Google]
1382439213073.jpg
62KB, 500x611px
Do you still think Flying Spaghetti Monster is cool?

Get with the program. The militant atheist thing hasn't been relevant since the mid-00's. All the cool secular people are nominally religious or "spiritual but not religious" these days.
>>
>>36546140
If you have nothing of value to contribute, then don't post.
>>
>>36546079
All you did was get more butthurt... Seriously, what's with all this charged up venom in regards to religious people?
>>
I wish I could believe in religion. I love the concept of it but I just can't buy into the mysticism and woo.
>>
File: 1476027186932.jpg (73KB, 875x387px) Image search: [Google]
1476027186932.jpg
73KB, 875x387px
>>36546189
Because you religionfags are all the same. When you get cornered in a debate you just resort to "but muh holy spirit told me. I can feel it." and then you shut down further discussion.

The only one who has made a remotely worthwhile or substantial response is >>36546039
and he still hasn't answered my follow up question.
>>
File: 1490682215876.png (339KB, 2000x2368px) Image search: [Google]
1490682215876.png
339KB, 2000x2368px
>>36545991
>2017
>Not going full gnostic

Have fun sucking archon's dick
>>
File: 1492018345050.png (194KB, 1251x585px) Image search: [Google]
1492018345050.png
194KB, 1251x585px
>>36546232

Eh, why not go for the sense of community? The spiritual stuff kinda sets in as you get older.
>>
>>36546265
>muh kike mysticism
Embarrassing.
>>
I don't get it either. Spirituality, religion and everything related is such obvious bullshit and yet billions of people believe it. This species is fucking retarded.
>>
>>36546242
What about the multitudes of people who attest to the fact and died for the fact that they literally saw jesus rise from the dead, and all of the villages that witnessed his miracles.

What if I've personally witnessed super-natural phenomena in my own life, is historical record and personal experience not evidence in it's self?
>>
>>36546242
I literally have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
>>
>>36546289
I don't really see what I can offer a community who exists to worship a being I can't believe in.

I've read the bible and a lot of apologetics. I own a good chunk of C.S Lewis's work. I gave it the old college try but nothing has really compelled me.
>>
>>36546314
My sister swears up and down she once saw a teddy bear walk across her room. It must be true, someone saw it happen.
>>
>>36546314
>muh anecdotes

>>36546330
>nuh uh, YOU'RE the irrational one
>lol bro I don't even know haha
>>
File: 1489748896107.png (4KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1489748896107.png
4KB, 205x246px
The real red pill is realizing that religion is bullshit, but that it's necessary for the functioning of modern society.

You have much to learn, OP. You can still turn back, if the burden becomes too heavy for you.
>>
>>36546314
Not that anon,

I'm the farthest thing away from an expert there is but couldn't claims, stories and writing from thousands of years ago be steeped in half truths, exaggerations or even fabrication?

I'm not trying to be a fedora tipper I'm honestly curious.
>>
>>36546368
Is there 4 different independent accounts of your sister seeing a teddy bear walk across your room that if checked for cross verification are correct and the people that wrote them including your sister willing to die for her claim?

But if there was pictures you'd just be like "The pictures are fake!" if there was a recording of it happening, "This is just a fake!" there's more records of jesus Christ and his miracles than there are of the emperor of roam at the time. But if you refuse to believe any of that, I really don't care. This is why I have faith. I know it can't be proven, but I have faith.
>>
I can't speak for the normies though it seems that the main reason why religion is popular is because it's passed down through generations

I personally find it boring to simply admit than there is nothing more to life than cold hard science and biology
Believing in some kind of superior beings who hold the key to a higher plane of existence is much more attractive in that aspect
>>
>>36546371
>Because you religionfags are all the same. When you get cornered in a debate you just resort to "but muh holy spirit told me. I can feel it." and then you shut down further discussion.
Anon, this never happened. Nor do I know of anyone who carries out discussion this way. You're in your own world right now and I think you might be high. You've definitely got something buggering up your arsehole though I'm done trying to figure out what it is.
>>
>>36546307
>Actually falling in the demiurge plan

Top kek , just meditate 20 mins every day for a month.
While religion is bullshit , spirituality is something real.
>>
File: 1491872267300.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1491872267300.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
>>36546140
>basing your view of reality by what happens to be cool or popular at the moment
You people are fucking pathetic.
>>
>>36546438
Spiderman came to my birthday party when I was 5, dozens of people saw him. There are pictures of spiderman everywhere. There are 12 different accounts all agreeing with one another of his origin story. Therefore spiderman exists.
>>
>>36546429
The fact that Jesus was able to convert an entire region to his religion with his miracles makes me feel like he was more than a roaming cultist, but actually the son of god. I know it could all be half truths, exaggerations, or fabrication. But I don't think Jesus Christ, who was by all accounts was a good man was a liar. I don't think he was a mad-man either. I believe he was the son of god.
>>
>>36545991
Most normalfags aren't really religious. They might pay lip service to it and go to some service on holidays, but they don't really care about what the Bible has to say.
>>
>>36546390
>it's necessary for the functioning of modern society
How so?
>>
>>36546489
Really now, lets see those accounts. Do you have legal documents of spidermans attendance to your birthday party for the government, did spider man literally swing his web across town and everyone saw it?
>>
>>36546489
By the way, for holding these belifes about Spider-Man I'm going to kill you unless you say that none of that happened. are you still ready to stand by your claim?
>>
>>36546527
Let's see the accounts of yeshuwah, oh wait, all that exists is a musty tome written decades after he died. Can we talk to the people that saw him be raised from the dead and summon zombies? Oh wait, they have been dead for thousands of years. Gee whiz. Your argument is falling a little flat.
>>
>>36546491
This.

You'd be surprised how many religious people there are who haven't read their sacred book or even know anything about their religion other than the bare basics
>>
>>36546039
>going back to church cause of muh community

No thanks. I'll find a community that doesn't tell me to feel bad because I like to drink, fuck, and trip.
Also every 13 year old and stoner believes that bottom one. I'm not saying it's wrong but it certainly isn't some mystical hidden truth.
>>
>>36546390
>>it's necessary for the functioning of modern society.
>this stupid meme again
Yeah because our religious society is great isn't it? We've got Jews preaching degeneracy, Muslims swarming into the west and murdering us, and Christians either accepting it and preaching tolerance, or doing nothing. And the Pope is happily encouraging this.

Tell me more about how religion is so great.
>>
>>36546593
The life of jesus Christ is one of the most documented events in human history. His life was so impactful that he is probably the most influential person to ever live. He created the largest religion in the world, and the church which he established 2000 years ago still exists and is known as the catholic church today. We literally count the days since he died, the world over. If he is the sun of god, which I believe he is, then his effect seems to be directly proportional to what would of happened if he was the son of god.
>>
>>36546567
Okay Mr hardcore bismuth level edgelord. Simmer down a little bit, buck-o. It's a style of argument called reductio ad absurdum. You show how dumb someone's argument is by using the logic under another context.
>>
>>36546567
There were a lot of charismatic cult leaders in recent history who convinced people to lay down their lives for their beliefs. Jim Jones and Marshall Applewhite come to mind. Granted those examples are on a much smaller scale.

L Ron Hubbard was able to amass a large amount of fervent followers to his religion in a very short amount of time too.
>>
>>36545991
in first world countries, religious people are the minority

i haven't met a Christian in a long time
>>
File: ghjuyukykghjk.jpg (28KB, 400x368px) Image search: [Google]
ghjuyukykghjk.jpg
28KB, 400x368px
Life is fragile but I see through...

Everything...yet nothing in particular. Existence, compliant resistance and circumstantial recuprocation of a strong and savage nation...the nature of contemplation and nuke puke regurgitation...greed fueled by starvation and violent salvation...irony for sake of a long lost punchline a diseases vine powered by besieged minds...mines, explosive corrosive behavior...coveting the killing our neighbors in search of our tortured savior and consumed martyrs of a bitter transgressed flavor. Flames in a blame game torched our consciences scorched by radical freedom from a cannons blast independence goes forth in despite our outhouse retort...used for purposes befitting the times stealing your tithes and raping your lives...

Or some such...
>>
>>36546703
>>36546704
I don't really care if you believe in god or not. I'm simply making the case that this whole jesus shit, if you really look at the evidence, is fucking mind blowing.
>>
>>36546390
This hasn't been true since the downfall of monarchy. Our leaders now have a more reasonable claim to power than "God says I should be king".
>>
>>36546679
He was so influential that zero people wrote about his alleged resurrection until minimum 50 years after the supposed event took place. .More people have written about shits they have taken during the event taking place than chose to write about a dude being brought back to life. Who believes this nonsense.
>>
>>36546804
Because people straight up didn't believe it, or were illiterate
>>
>>36545991
Christians are the minority nowadays, which is why you see 4chan making fun of atheists. It's all about having the unpopular opinion.
>>
>>36546819
They didn't exactly have social media to go "OMG JESUS DID SOME CRAZY SHIT GUAIS!"

much less the ability to read or write.
>>
>>36546679
Lol. You could say the exact same thing about Mohammed being the prophet of God. Don't think you're better than Muslims just cause your club is like 20% bigger.
>>
>>36545991
getting rid of religion would be good if everyone under 110 iq was sterilised
>>
>>36546762
And what is even more crazy and mind blowing is having an understanding of basic biology chemistry and physics. According to the Bible wizards exist, 7 headed dragons, 3 headed dogs and talking snakes are real. Want to defend those too?
>>
File: CJdSyUV.jpg (65KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
CJdSyUV.jpg
65KB, 530x600px
>>36546679
>the church which he established 2000 years ago still exists and is known as the catholic church today
I thought the Protestants were the true arbiters of Jesus's church after they called out those pedophile apologetics on their money grubbing pay4salvation policy.

Also, you're basing your cosmological view on the same logic as a rock band groupie.
>>
File: nodon.gif (445KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
nodon.gif
445KB, 200x200px
>>36546752
>I can see what you see not-
>Vision milky, then eyes rot.
>When you turn, they will be gone,
>Whispering their hidden song.

>Then you see what cannot be-
>Shadows move where light should be.
>Out of darkness, out of mind,
>Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
>>
>>36546496
It's a very complicated topic. Here is a quick rundown.
Humans are very, very tribal. We sort ourselves into identity-tribes, heavily select for our own tribe, and demonize tribes that oppose our own in any fashion. This behavior is arguably the cause for most of our social problems.

In other words, we evolved to be a species that live in (relatively) small tribes, and we, perhaps because of an errant accident, moved on to live in much larger communities. But, how can you get a large group of people to cooperate effectively? A good start might be to unite them under a single identity (a tribe, if you will). I should have spelled out enough for you.

Modern western society, aka the most 'advanced' society to exist, is built on the doctrine of morals provided by Christianity. It is a fact that you can have western morals, but not have a Christian background. You would be a fool, however, to believe that most people will organize themselves to follow western morals without the justification of religion, or to see past the tribalism and cooperate regardless. This arrogance is what is contributing to the decay of western society.

This is, of course, presumpting that you want western society. There are bigger pills than this waiting to be swallowed, as long as you are willing.
>>
>>36546438
>roam
>>
>>36546804
There's undoubtedly a lot of wiggle room for these stories to get blown out of proportion. That's to say nothing of the Old Testament.

Regardless, religious thinking in itself is more philosophical than anything. Trying to debate it using observable evidence kind of flies in the face of the "point".
>>
>>36546438

At that time in history, the Romans, like all civilizations from the Chinese onwards, kept records of every person going in and out of their cities, along with a meticulous birth record. When the Romans conquered the Egyptians, they taxed LITERALLY EVERYTHING. So they had a record of literally every item and animal existing within and moving into and out of Egypt.

Why isn't Jesus in any of these records?
>>
You can't argue rationally with a religious person because religion is based on the suppression of free thought.
>>
File: 1477062854759.png (27KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1477062854759.png
27KB, 300x168px
>>36546789
I'm OP but I disagree with you here. Monarchy would be preferable to this corporatist democracy.

>>36546825
>Christians are the minority nowadays
Even if that's true, they have an absurd amount of power and influence over the country for a minority.
>newborn boys are literally mutilated because the magic jew book says you're supposed to do that
>the country defends and supports and gives outrageous amounts of money to Israel because Zionists believe we are supposed to protect them
>still normal to swear on the bible in court of law
>a non Christian or non Jewish politician wouldn't stand a chance
>>
>>36546819
Somebody would have written about it. Jesus literally summoned dead zombies who supposedly walked around during broad daylight and not a single fucking person made a mention of that anywhere? Come on man, you don't believe that.
>>
>>36546845
I don't honestly.... I talked to a catholic preist about the subject of different religions. He said "we all worship the same god, but their god is not the same god we know".... Okay then, I figured.

I think it works like this, there is 1 god, but humans have different interpertations of his existence. Many people lie about god, don't understand god, or have false belifes about god. But all of the major world religions are connected to that same god. I think, even if jesus was somehow the son of god, not everything he said might be true for everyone.

The catholic church I think is full of shit in a lot ways too, like how they molest kids. The bible doesn't say anywhere it's wrong to masterbait, that you shouldn't do drugs (in moderation), that pre-martial sex is wrong, etc. It even is contradictory in lots of places, and doesn't even make sense half the time.

There is something that the church says that is interesting though they call it "The mystery of faith".
>>
>>36546840
I can tell you are a redditor. Go back and stay there.
>>
>>36546965
I'm done arguing with you people... I've made my case. I don't want to sit here all day.
>>
>>36546922
>This arrogance is what is contributing to the decay of western society.
Religion is necessary to start a society. We're already into society's endgame.

At this point, the decay is being fueled by religion (mainly Islam). But don't act like Christianity isn't dragging us down by doing stuff like throwing pearl-clutching fits over things like biotechnology that can grow organs.
>>
>>36547000
Having your faith in a book you've never read shaken that easily? Pathetic.
>>
>>36547000
>You have to believe all historical accounts!
>B-b-but people not that historical account
You have most definitely made a point.
>>
>>36547083
My faith isn't shaken, it's just that I don't want to about how jesus didn't exist and he didn't walk around doing mircles with someone who hasn't read any of the evidence what so ever or ever even studied jesus and his dicisples life.

Like, I'm not a teacher, I don't feel like teaching you algebra. I just wanted to express my opinion, and then I'm gone.
>>
>>36547153
Do you believe Jesus summoned literal zombies who walked around interacting with people or not?
If you say yes, you lose any credibility you had as a rational debater in this thread, if you say no, you expose yourself as a hypocrite, so which is it?
>>
File: untitled.png (89KB, 292x172px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
89KB, 292x172px
>>36547226
>If I say yes I lose all credibility
>If no I'm a hypocrite

oh gosh what ever shall I do
>>
File: 1464519113758.png (147KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
1464519113758.png
147KB, 597x597px
>>36547011
I'm not saying it's perfect, or even that it's good. Only that it is necessary for western society to continue (and, by extension, that religion is necessary for some society to function). Religion isn't a cause of problems in any meaningful way, it's a symptom of the Larger Problem.
>>
>>36547226
Jesus did summon zombies, and there were special types, boomers, smokers, and hunters

and then he said

"yay, ye shall play left 4 dead"

and it was good
>>
>>36547262
You apparently came here to make a point, according to your own post
>>36547000
So if you want us to take you seriously... wait, you aren't having trouble answering the question, are you?
>>
File: 1477015790205.jpg (14KB, 563x563px) Image search: [Google]
1477015790205.jpg
14KB, 563x563px
>>36546825
Why do Christfags always paint themselves as some sort of oppressed minority? You idiots rule the country. This victim complex is unbecoming and it's probably a trick you learned from your Jewish masters.
>>
File: 1485010998127.png (301KB, 794x564px) Image search: [Google]
1485010998127.png
301KB, 794x564px
Who /right wing atheist/ here

Feels lonely to be quite honest
>>
>>36546969
wouldn't it make more sense that multiple gods exist with conflicting interests, causing a chaotic and fucked up universe without any true moral justice?
>>
File: wtc_bombs-759x500.jpg (85KB, 759x500px) Image search: [Google]
wtc_bombs-759x500.jpg
85KB, 759x500px
>>36547309
>Only that it is necessary for western society to continue
ok lol
>>
>>36547153
Can you link me to some websites where I can read about the evidence?
>>
You know what? Fuck it. Get the time machine. Let's go back 2000 years, do a bunch of cool magic tricks, spout some words about how people should live, and see what kind of book they wrote when we get back.
>>
i don't know religion is stupid. there are a bunch of religions out there. Jewish people are waiting for jesus to rise, i guess Catholic people are just waiting for god's answers.
>>
>thousands of religions, most of them dead already
>BUT NUH MY RELIGION IS TRUE MY RELIGION IS THE ONE TRUE RELIGION
>even though I'd believe something completely different if I was born in a different place and time

Why are they so stupid?
>>
>>36549135
Because promises of eternal life and all of your enemies roasting in hell trumps skepticism.
>>
>>36546060
>Why do we have to believe a bunch of made up nonsense just to have tradition and socializing
Because its retarded otherwise.
>why do we bother with the ceremony of burying our dead friends
>why do we have to get up in the morning to talk to each other, can't we sleep in this once
>Why Sundays? Lets start doing Mondays.

Without God or spirituality tradition and ceremony have no point. Look at Japan for example. Yes they still hold lots of traditional things yet as every year passes on the traditions they used to do get less and less popular.
Look at holloween as another example. Look at how Christmas went from a holiday about spending time with family and giving things in appreciation to getting gifts.
Atheism is literally the tool of the jew. They make you an atheist, which makes you cynical and nihilistic. Once that happens your going to be wondering why you shouldn't live life to the fullest and become a transgendered thing.

As it is now, you don't like tradition because its tradition, you like tradition because its cool and hip now. Thats not what tradition is about. You're a fake traditionalist. You only want to do these things for ulterior motives and because you've seen first hand the gap that tradition leaves in our souls.
Its all or nothing.
>>
>>36546488
But thats exactly what you are doing or did a long time ago.
There is no proof god(s) don't exist and you will never prove such a thing. Sometimes things are a little too much of a coincidence and your just unimaginative and brush it off as nothing.
>>
>>36546639
The pope is a jew. Catholics are cucks and have been subverted by jew christianity.
Christianity itself is not a cuck religion but its still a semite religion and semites are power hungry egotistical shits.
>There couldn't possible more than one god in this universe
>its more likely that every invisible force in this world was one god.
>>
>>36549367
Where did all these gods come from? Who created them?
>>
File: 1488202526426.jpg (14KB, 480x567px) Image search: [Google]
1488202526426.jpg
14KB, 480x567px
>>36549232
So you are admitting that it's not that any one religion (like Christianity) is right. It's just that a religion of some kind is needed to have a traditional society, be it Christianity or what have you

So you acknowledge that Christianity isn't the objective truth, it's just a convenient lie because it's so popular in the west.
>>
>>36546140
>Get with the program. The militant atheist thing hasn't been relevant since the mid-00's. All the cool secular people are nominally religious or "spiritual but not religious" these days.

Atheists got too big, and loud, and created a bit of a backlash. Partly because they also attracted the wrong kinds of people. Loser neckbeards who wanted to feel superior to others for not doing any good.
>>
>>36546969
Why do you insist on talking about topics that are CLEARLY above your intellect? Why don't you go back to elementary school and learn to spell basic words?
>>
>>36547226
>literal zombies
How do you interpret the phrase "born again" Anon?
Do you think Christians literally emerge from their mother's literal vagina again?
>what is new life in Christ?
>>
>>36545991
Thinking about the very beginning will eventually turn you mad I think. I mean the big bang is nice and all, but when you realize that very essential stuff like time and space were created after the big bang happened it gets weird really quick.
>>
>>36549497
see>>36546039
There is an underlying truth in all religions.
>>
>>36549290
>There is no proof god(s) don't exist and you will never prove such a thing

Bertrand Russell put this argument to rest over 50 years ago with his celestial teapot; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

Can we disprove the existence of this teapot? No. Does that make it reasonable to believe that the teapot is there? No. Is it reasonable to be agnostic about the existence of this teapot? Not really.

End of argument about religion, basically, because once the burden of proof is shifted onto the religious it becomes an intolerable burden to them. The religious just do not have the sort of evidence they would need to prove that their religions are true, and so the job of the religious apologist in modern times is to talk a really good game around this core epistemological problem.
>>
>>36549497
Humans need something that is bigger than them in order to function, I guess. Doesn't matter which god you chose to serve, be it Yahweh, money, freedom, democracy or anything else which can function as an ideal for people.
>>
>>36549290
>There is no proof god(s) don't exist and you will never prove such a thing.

All you have to ask is: where did this idea come from? If it's just some arbitrary cultural thing, why would that have any bearing on the reality fo the world? Think back. Without this cultural belief, would there be any reason to actually propose such a concept?

Sort of like Astrology. You can argue this or that, or try to tackle the justifications for why it toally works. But ask yourself: what is this based on? Where did it come from? Did some guy just make it up one day? As such, what did THEY base this on? Why should we assume this has any bearing on reality?
>>
>>36549808
Ye can not serve both God and Mammon.
>>
>>36549774
There's no reason to believe the teapot exists but there's a reason to believe a god or creator exists because there's not nothing. Moreover, our definitions of 'something' and 'nothing' are bound by how the universe works. Just like we can't describe exactly how the big bang worked and we can't describe what the status was that existed "before" the big bang took place.
>>
>>36549874
Exactly. That's the point of monotheistic religions, you can't serve two gods at once when every god demands your full attention.
>>
>why are normies so religious?
they need something to do on sundays
>fedora memes
*le tip* XD
>Are normies literally insane
no, they're just stupid.
>>
/pol/fags need gtfo this board and take their shitty persecution complexes with them
>>
>>36545991
it gives them

>the feeling that everything will end up ok for them
>if they do something bad they will be absolved if they repent
>a place in the world/universe
>belonging to something important
>a sense of superiority over other people for knowing the truth
>>
>>36550098
Protip:/r9k/ actually ruined /pol/ with their persecution fantasies
>>
>>36550098
>trying to have a reasonable discussion
>XD POL FAGS BTFO XDXD

does /pol/ dictate your every move? This has nothing to do with politics you incurable moron. inb4 "BUT POL TALKS ABOUT RELIGION TOO". Are you trying to say that /r9k/ and /pol/ have absolutely no amount of overlap when it comes to threads? Idiot.
>>
look up jonathan kleck
>>
>>36549940

The God of the Gaps isn't a strong concept either, because what we've found is that the religious explanations are consistently replaced with scientific ones when the science advances; try to imagine any question where we once had a scientific explanation, but now it's been replaced with a better religious explanation. Sure there is ignorance of what was before the big bang, if anything, but that doesn't make it right or sensible to fill it in with God; if we don't know, we must just admit that we don't know.

What we can ask about the world is whether our knowledge of it suggests a God, or if it's compatible with the existence of a God. The answer to the first is almost always no, and the answer to the second can always be yes. Our universe is mostly empty space and dead rocks, for instance, and most of the species that have ever lived on this planet are now extinct, over 90%. Does this suggest a creator deity with a conscious will, as opposed to the easier explanation of evolution? Not really. Is it compatible with one? Sure, you just have to say "God works in mysterious ways, he had to create then destroy for some reason." You can justify anything that way.

And this is assuming we're talking deism now, which is not the kind of god that most of our neighbors believe in. The idea that Yahweh specifically exists is even more ridiculous than what we're discussing, because Yahweh is a much better described character than the nebulous deist God that hides just beyond the border of scientific knowledge, and so his existence would require even more rationalization. Does the existence of billions of suns that are not our own, including all the ones we can't visually see, suggest the existence of a supernatural deity who created the universe to have a relationship with humans, specifically where he tries to dictate what kind of hooved animals we eat? Hell no. But is it compatible with Yahweh? Sure, Yahweh is mysterious or whatever.
>>
File: 1482601428562.png (694KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1482601428562.png
694KB, 1024x768px
>>36549727
How can that be true when different religions directly contradict each other

>some have many gods
>Abrahamic religions state there is only one god
>different creation myths
>different views on the afterlife
>different morality
>>
>>36549940

1. No one has any idea what happened before our current Big Bang models because physics breaks down. It's not that suprising that we don't know the exact origin of the universe since there's so much more for us to understand. This also means that you don't know either.

2. Isn't it interesting how God is conveniently lurking where we happen to know nothing? Always in the shadows.
>>
>>36550379
The god of gaps wasn't my point, my point was that the teapot or occam's razor only work within the context of our universe, they'll fall apart when we speculate about things that exist or existed in some form outside of our universe.
Before you go and debate about the different gods mankind has believed in so far you first have to determine if the concept of a god is something that's applicable or not.
>>
>>36550441
There isn't any way we can understand more when it comes to the big bang. Any kind of information was also created by the big bang so the amount if information that existed before the big bang is exactly zero. You can't even comprehend and much less describe something which has neither time nor space.

Science and god are not in a competition with each other. The scientific explanation doesn't always contradict the religious one or vice versa.
>>
File: 1450801278757.jpg (197KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1450801278757.jpg
197KB, 900x1200px
We don't know; the reason why you'll never find an ending debate between an atheist and a theist is because we don't know. If we did, we wouldn't need to ask (Neither party has legitimate arguments or proofs; we simply don't know).

God could exist and he could not; Jesus could have been god's son or he could have just been a wise Jew going around fooling the idiots that filled the land.

Think of all the idiots we have in our world today, I mean if I'm chad, I could literally go find a girl and slowly brainwash her over the course a few months into thinking I'm some sort of demigod. This is also the same world where we believe in

>Cults
>Scientology
>Con artists
>Schemes
>That reality tv is real
>That wrestling is real
>That Paranormal Activity was real
>Ghosts
>UFO's kidnapping farmers with their magic beams and anally probing them
>Demons
>A literal hasbro toy can communicate with the dead
>Astrology
>Just "beeing" urself
>Literal faggots who don't think they're gay because their boyfriend has feminine features

Normies and people are fucking dumb, and the brain is very easy to manipulate and good at brainwashing itself into believing what it wants. The probability that religion is made up is extremely likely and the fact that people would blindly follow it is practically a given.

Despite all this, the possibility that there is/was a god is out there, and that religion still serves a fundamental purpose for humanity and civilizations today.
>>
>>36550381
There's also a lot of similarities. The concept of an afterlife for example is something that has no roots in real life but pretty much every religion is built on top of that.
>>
File: tipping.gif (1MB, 479x700px) Image search: [Google]
tipping.gif
1MB, 479x700px
>God doesn't even real
>>
>>36550733
But you can't just ignore the contradictions.

If somebody asked what 2+2 equals and you said 4 and somebody else said 5, would you say that both answers are right, or that there is an "underlying truth" in both answers?

Objective reality can't contradict itself.
>>
What do we call these faggots who mindlessly shout fedora at you when you explain why their religion is stupid

We need a name for these scumbags.
>>
>>36550733

The concept of an afterlife is in all religions because death terrifies people and promising some kind of balm to it is a surefire way to get people listening.
>>
>>36550872
They are called redditors.
>>
>>36549596
>>36546969
>masterbait
i see what you're doing over here
>>
>>36550784
The underlying truth in both answers would be that both statements imply an understanding of simple mathematics and how they work.
>Objective reality can't contradict itself.
That's true but also meaningless because humans can't experience objective truth.

>>36550882
That sounds plausible, but people came up with afterlives even before they understood what death even means.
>>
>>36550595

But you wouldn't claim to ever know that those exist if you're simply speculating about them, right? In fact, buried in the phrase "speculation" is an expectation that those things aren't true and can't be acted on in the same way your knowledge of, say, gravity can.

And imagine speculation about other things, like say healthcare. You could speculate that illness is actually just a reaction to holding the wrong beliefs, and that if you switch to the right beliefs then you will be cured of your illness no matter what it is. Anybody would want some proof that this method works for curing their appendicitis before doing it instead of the tried and true method; nobody would treat it as being basically the same effectiveness as an appendectomy just because of the speculation that it might be. Incidentally we know this doesn't work, this is why Christian Scientist children have died of easily treated maladies of this sort.

Yet you're claiming that when it comes to the biggest questions we have about the universe and where it and we came from, that speculation and knowledge might as well be the same thing. If you're speculating that something exists outside of what we can observe, find some evidence for it, or consent to being a fiction writer.
>>
>>36551139
>If you're speculating that something exists outside of what we can observe, find some evidence for it
What is the Big Bang.
>>
If there was evidence of God's existence there would be no reason to believe in him. You would know that he exists.
>>
I think the problem is simply that normies don't think very deeply. They're always going somewhere, doing something, talking to someone, etc. Normies don't ever just sit and think about philosophical issues. It's actually shunned in western society. "Don't be lazy!" "Go outside and play!" "Go socialize!" "Don't think, just do!" "Work hard, play hard!" It's evident in America's fascination of professional sports. Those who do physical things are looked up to by children and adults alike. Your average American man could tell you trivial sports statistics, team rosters, etc. but couldn't tell you what quantum tunneling is or what Plato's Allegory of the Cave is. I don't know. These may seem like shallow insights, but they're relevant nonetheless. I think a mandatory philosophy class in high school would create a better society.
>>
>>36551359
People involved/active in the Catholic Church will be way more philosophically knowledgeable then normies.

The Church has been the foundation and maintainer of philosophy for thousands of years.

>couldn't tell you what quantum tunneling is

Yeah because this is at all useful, watching some stupid neil degrasse tyson or vsauce video about some useless factoid isn't anything to be proud of.
>>
>>36551359
Philosophy drives you mad.
>>
>>36551284

How is that evidence for things beyond it? Merely because it produces a gap in knowledge? You can write that it's not a god of the gaps argument but this is clearly a god of the gaps argument.
>>
>>36551488

Oh please, Church attendees don't tend to think any deeper about anything than most people. They ARE most people in the West. They just sit in a pew and get told things about the Bible more often.
>>
>>36551488
>Yeah because this is at all useful, watching some stupid neil degrasse tyson or vsauce video about some useless factoid isn't anything to be proud of.
One could say the same thing about watching baseball. There is nothing wrong with being interested in something. Take your postmodern 2cool4school philistinism somewhere else.
>>
>>36545991
hey there pal, let me introduce a brand new concept to you
it's called "people have their own personalities and views"
no, most people DON'T fucking believe in some garden we got exiled out of, and lutherans also don't believe in the miraculous jewish carpenter
and this one will blow your mind: the bible (and other religous scriptures, but we're talking mostly christianity here) to make you, pathetic fuck, a better person that isn't a cynical murderous piece of shit
and keep in mind that we are still animals that prefer socializing rather than being a recluse, because that's what gives us entertainment, feeling of safety and all that kind of maslow shit; that means we will enjoy belonging to a group of people with beliefs similiar to ours

we don't live in the middle ages anymore, how come fedora dipshits still think all believers are some crazy fucktards that will swallow every dogma getting thrown at them as some sort of divine untouchable axiom

or maybe americans are just dumb
>>
>>36551646
You clearly don't live in America and have no idea what American Christianity is like.
>>
>>36551646
was written to make you*
rustling jimmies makes you forget words sometimes
>>
>>36551570
>How is that evidence for things beyond it?
Because the big bang was what caused the universe to exist. The universe and the natural laws that come with it didn't exist back then, as well as space and time. That what would eventually trigger the big bang did.
>>
>>36551696
yeah, i don't
not a big surprise given the last line
>>
>>36551761
Then stop acting like you know what you're talking about when you obviously don't you idiot.
>>
>>36551787
OP doesn't narrow his post down to just america, so what the fuck is your problem here
>>
>>36551871
But the thing is that the American kind of Christianity has spread to the UK and Australia as well.
>>
>>36546964
>first two points are entirely about Judaism, not Christianity
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>36546438
Lol dude you don't even know your own fucking Bible. The gospels are not consistent between eachother, plus the fact that the books were selected from a multitude of accounts during the creation of the Bible as we know it. Im sure I can find plenty of writing of how Obama is the second coming but that doesn't make it true.
>>
>>36552102
okay, but that still doesn't make my post irrelevant to the topic anon
and i don't live in the uk either
>>
>>36552116
It's Christians you idiot. American Christians especially have been brainwashed by zionism.
>>
I was raised in a religious household and I've never understood it. Reading the Bible as a kid was boring as fuck. These days I can appreciate it from a historical perspective but I'll never wrap my mind around faith. I honestly think it has something to do with the way your brain is wired, it's the only explanation I can think of. Some people are so fucking dogmatic it boggles the mind.

Then this guy in the thread is saying that there are eyewitness accounts of Jesus' miracles. From 2000 years ago! Is that stuff really credible? Why are some gospels/etc. in the Bible but others were left out? Yeah, maybe Jesus existed, maybe he convinced an entire region to believe in him. So what? You ever hear about Jim Jones? People are gullible.

Even if the eyewitness accounts are true, i still don't believe them. There's a reason why eyewitness testimony in a court case is so shaky. Memory is a fickle thing, and that's a proven fucking fact. People remember things differently from how they actually happened. Mass psychosis is a real thing as well.

There was a study done just after 9/11 happened, where a bunch of people were interviewed and asked where they were when the towers fell. A year later the interviewers went back and talked to those same people again, asked them the same question, and more often than not, the person misremembered where they were or what they were doing on 9/11.

Back in the ancient days, people didn't know how lightning and thunder worked, they thought it was God or the gods. Native American mythology has two birds in the sky, one of them is fast and that's lightning. Thunder was an egg that the birds laid on top of the clouds, rolling around up there. We didn't know how it worked so we made shit up because we want to know.

We don't know how the brain works, not completely, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. Until then though, mind/soul/spirit will prevail.

I'm not trying to tip fedoras here, I promise.
>>
File: 1493055186504.jpg (12KB, 380x405px) Image search: [Google]
1493055186504.jpg
12KB, 380x405px
>people still talking about the existence or non-existence of God

You'd think this pointless back-and-forth talk would bore everyone by this point.
>>
File: 1492553721989.jpg (40KB, 480x486px) Image search: [Google]
1492553721989.jpg
40KB, 480x486px
>>36553036
it's been a few thousand years and a few hundred philosophers, and it still hasn't become stale, anon.
>>
File: 1483656919376.jpg (38KB, 803x798px) Image search: [Google]
1483656919376.jpg
38KB, 803x798px
>>36553741
>hasn't become stale

>God doesn't exist. it's illogical and there is no evidence to support God's existence
>he does. you have no evidence to prove he does not exist
>no he doesn't because [insert logical fallacy here]
>well he does exist because X

Been thousands of years and you still haven't gotten closer to the truth at all because you can't. It's just become pointless mental masturbation and whatever supposed "truth" you can slap together is subjective
>>
>>36545991
Idiot. Nobody ACTUALLY believes it. Does anyone treat heaven or hell like they're actual, real places? Where you'll inevitably end up in one or the other? If people actually believed that they'd try a lot harder. Everyone is just faking it.
>>
>>36545991

IMO it has to do with control. well, that's what it started as anyways. that way people had something to fear and didn't go fuck their sister or kill children. ironically both still happen . I think a lot of people hold on to that 'hope" for reward and self righteousness. kinda sad people need to be bribed like that to be a decent human being but like, still desu....it boils down to control. control of the herd, minds, money, morale standards.
>>
File: 1491107847013.gif (792KB, 450x281px) Image search: [Google]
1491107847013.gif
792KB, 450x281px
>>36553948
obviously it hasn't gotten stale enough for people to stop talking about, eh anon?
>>
>>36549808
This is retarded, you don't need made up deities to function in day to day life. That is why religion is fading away, only weak willed people cling to it, to make them feel better. People only need good schooling to function, to make them learn what they should do with their time.
>>
>>36546265

love thiss ^_^
orig comment
>>
>>36554053
no schooling has ever demonstrated a coherent reason for living
it currently relies on evolutionary savagery that is little more than genetic tyranny
hardly an existence to delight in
>>
>>36554053

Religion isn't fading away, though. It's still strong as ever, just the names change every now and then. Ideology or religion, it doesn't really matter. People still need to believe in something that's bigger than themselves.
>>
File: 1478569727955.jpg (34KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1478569727955.jpg
34KB, 540x960px
>>36554050
People argue about the existence of God because they have nothing better to do, not because it's fun. It's stale as fuck and people say the same shit, yet people are pulled into bait and want to control the opinions of others to win " heh I won that argument" points
>>
>>36554053

I agree. some of the most powerful people are their own god(s) . the weak ones (sheep) need a hearer. hence jesus being shepherd
>>
>>36554188
you say that. but look at Chris Brown and Rhino (Rhinestones? Ribosome?). They were the talk of the town, every mainstream media was covering them when it was found out Brown was beating her face in. And now? Half-assed jokes barely worth the time, it's in the past, it's stale. Religion has been around a lot longer than anyone currently alive, and spirituality was around long before that, yet we still talk about it. The questions are stale, but the topic is not. If it were we'd have stopped bitching about it millennia ago.
>>
They are as mere insects, acting on primal instinctual drive alone. But just as the ant fries under the magnifying glass of the child, so doth the religious fry their minds with their worthless doctrine.
>>
File: 1492556398176.jpg (64KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492556398176.jpg
64KB, 480x480px
>>36554398
Holy shit anon, totally freaking lost it.
>>
They aren't. None of them know anything about all of the horrific, evil shit that their vampire god did in the old testament, the only thing they were taught was "Jesus = good, pray and you'll get into heaven lolz". Most people either can't be bothered or don't have the critical thinking capacity to realize how full of shit the bible and every other religious text is.
>>
Tbh I'm an atheist but only because "God" is a silly concept. Like in the bible with Noah's ark thing they only mentioned animals native to America and big animals such as lions, giraffes, what about all the bugs or snakes or scorpions that were in the dessert, also why did Noah have to saw the animals? Couldn't "God" just make new ones? That's why it's nonsense. Also religion is kind of satanic in a way, not satanic as in satan but admit it's a little weird how we chant prayers to a being we don't even know exists, we praise a dead Jew, and we eat bread as Jesus' body and wine as his blood. Seems a little spooky to me
>>
File: 1481163486855.jpg (366KB, 841x819px) Image search: [Google]
1481163486855.jpg
366KB, 841x819px
>>36554398
>doth
>>
>>36555121
>also why did Noah have to saw the animals?
Some were just too big.
>>
>>36546039
Most normies today are agnostic or atheists- it's the new pleb-tier attitude to have.
>>
>>36546314
>Thinking anecdotes are fact
>Believing your schizophrenic cousin's delusions because he said so

kek
>>
File: Pepe.jpg (68KB, 960x945px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe.jpg
68KB, 960x945px
>>36555384
Abrahamics get the fuck out with you normie religions
>>
It's a way to virtue signal moral superiority. Don't take it seriously.
>>
no adult in the west actually believes their religion to be factually true, which is why they always give practical reasons like its good for their community or something ambiguous like "thats why its called faith :^)" if you ask them if they really believe it
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.