[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Driving

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: P5-Pritchard-Stree_593412821.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
P5-Pritchard-Stree_593412821.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
How do you guys deal with the stress of driving?

I'm almost 19 and I want to get my license, but it's just such a stressful idea to me.

>controlling a huge vehicle
>with many other huge vehicles on the road
>people that are probably mostly average iq
>but definitely some with lower iq
>only have a few mirrors to tell you of your immediate surroundings

I've only practiced a bit in a lot, but i'm much too spooked to enter the road.
I don't wanna be that one anon without a license at 30 years old.
>>
Listen to eurobeats
>>
>>36537654
I want to listen to eurobeats in a car while driving actually, but i'm just too spooked to learn how to drive first.
>>
>>36537642
20 here, just got my license last year.

It becomes soothing once you finally get used to it. Putting on some vaporwave and zoning out while you drive through the city is fucking transcendent.
>>
>>36537664
You guys are doing exactly what I want to do.

Why did you get your license so late? Were you spooked as well?
>>
>>36537674
Honestly? It was mainly because of my mother just giving me incessant unnecessary reminders.

>Stop here, anon.
>Make sure you know the speed limit, anon.
>Slow down here, anon.
>No, you'll stop at the next light.
>Speed up.

It just irritated the fuck out of me. Once I finally got the opportunity to drive a short distance on my own (it was to the apartment clubhouse because I had to shit), I fell in love with it and haven't stopped since.
>>
>>36537738
I see.
So basically the nagging ruined it for you.

What would you say the actual hardest part to learn is?

I'd love to just drive through the city at night listening to some song like HOME-Resonance or something.
>>
>22
>dad has tried to help me learn how to drive a few times
>same for mom and a few pals
>every time i get a nervous breakdown after 10 minutes on the road

no license for me

good luck tho op. but desu with you, some people are just not meant to drive..
>>
>>36537856
I'm sure you can do it anon! Even if you fail keep going. Accepting failure will never get u anywhere.
>>
>tfw got bored of driving
>I like the bus more for some reason
>get to daydream and check out qts
>car is sitting in my driveway as I autistically take the bus
>>
>>36537642
>>36537908
worst case scenario you don't get it
and life goes on.
best case scenario you get it and crash and become a retard for the rest of your life.
>>
>>36537793
Hardest part to learn is really just developing an instinct.

Signs and shit, learning right-of-way, what to do when ambulances pass (pull the fuck over), that's all just rote memorization. The real kicker is knowing when some fucker is gonna pull in front without his signal, or when you realize you're gonna have to make a really weird turn (accidentally drove for like 30 feet on the wrong side of the road once, fucked up a turn and had to make it right).
>>
>>36537642
You'd better be learning in a manual trsnsmission. Otherwise your anxiety is ridiculous.

It's ridiculous either way, just worse.
>>
>>36537958
Driving anxiety isn't ridiculous. There are a massive number of incredibly shitty drivers on the orad and you need to be on constant alert for these morons who don't check blindspots and lane change into you, who don't look both ways before turning, who run red lights, don't use their turn signals. It's stressful. I'm an extremely cautious driver and still had some near misses because of fucking morons speeding around not watching where they're going.
>>
>>36538009
It's funny because my anxiety was caused by being in cars with many of my high school friends that couldn't help but do all of the above.
>>
Perhaps taking Adderall would help?
>>
Here's what helped me a lot it's only two things and they're fairly simple.

Understand the rules of the road / the law. If you don't have to think about if what your doing is illegal that's a lot of stress being taken off.

Realize that even though a lot of people are bad drivers, they don't want to get into wrecks. Cars are expensive, so people will in general try not to do things to break them.

As long as you're driving around during the day, and paying attention to what you're doing, you should be fine. Focus less on whether you're doing the right thing and be more confident that you are doing the right thing.

As long as you don't bump into anyone, you will be fine. Worst case scenario if you do break a law, which should be hard if you don't speed it red a run light, you will get pulled over by a cop, maybe get a ticket, and then remember to not do that again.

Just try to be confident. It might be hard at the start, but do your best not to worry.
>>
>>36537654
I listen to the eurobeats and I should probably stop before I get done in for going way too fast. Or maybe I should go back to driving a S2000, because that car would fuck me for making a mistake, so I would never push it hard unless on a track. Shame they're so damn expensive now.
>>
>>36538150
How long should it take to get the mechanics down? I can sit and read all day but I only have a small window each week to practice driving in an empty lot.
>>
Driving in an empty lot is ok to get an idea of how the car works, but i don't think it'll help much unless you set up some cones to drive around. One thing that might help assuming you have someone with you is for you to sit in the driver's seat and have the other person walk around the outside edge of the car a bit so you can get a good idea of how much room the car occupies. Sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly where you are in a lane and you might end up trying to place yourself in the center of the lane, but since you aren't in the center of the car you end up being really close to the edges of a lane.

Ass long as you stay in your item lane while driving you're pretty good.

If you do need to merge into another lane, one thing you can try to do (though would not recommend, especially on your driving test) is to wiggle you're steering wheel a little bit so the car kinda wiggles (don't fucking jerk it like an autist and kill yourself, imagine the word butt wiggle thing cats do). If you do a little wiggle along with your blinker people tend to back off a bit because they don't know what you're doing, so you can merge pretty easily.
>>
>>36537642
It gets better over time. You'll make stupid mistakes and do dangerous things, but you'll learn and get more confident.

>>controlling a huge vehicle
>>with many other huge vehicles on the road
>>people that are probably mostly average iq

The thing about driving is that not a lot of people want to get into a wreck, Anon. There are some suicidal assholes who drive into trucks, but most people just want to go about their daily life. Everyone else is more experienced and thus more confident/aware of their limits than you. Most other people will be able to compensate for your mistakes.

You'll learn when you should back off from an aggressive driver, over time. Each vehicle is different, so you'll learn the limits of it too.

>>but definitely some with lower iq

You seem to forget they have a license and you don't. Don't trash talk people who are better than you.

>>only have a few mirrors to tell you of your immediate surroundings

Cars don't come out of nowhere & they're not silent. They're 2 ton death boxes which move pretty slowly. You have your hearing & memory, and if your video game addiction has taught you anything, it's being able to keep track of objects.

You should also be looking over your shoulder to check your blind spots, but again, you'll get better at this over time.

>I've only practiced a bit in a lot, but i'm much too spooked to enter the road.

You should be practicing on low-traffic roads. If you're not confident with speed or traffic, pull over, let them pass you, and then continue. Practice with a licensed driver so they can keep an eye on your positioning & traffic.

>I don't wanna be that one anon without a license at 30 years old.

Then don't.
>>
For your actual driving test you have to do only a little bit more, depending on where you live.

You only really need to check your mirrors fairly often, look over your shoulder when merging, and understand right of way rules. Also make sure to come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights, even when turning in a red. Don't hut the brakes too hard, but try not to start breaking a mile away.

Right of way is fairly simple, but it caused me to fail my test the first time.

At an four way intersection that's a two way stop, the lane that does not have stop signs do not stop unless they need to in order to allow incoming traffic to pass to make a turn. If you are in the lane with stop signs you obviously wait until it is clear for you to go.

At a four way intersection with for stops, whoever gets their first usually goes first. It can be a bit more complicated depending on who is doing what, but generally people just take turns going round robin if they have to.
>>
>>36537642
It's honestly not as hard as it seems. The government puts a lot of simple rules that keep most of the retards driving in check.

The hardest part is merging into a busy lane.
>>
>>36538396
Shouldn't actively brake at all whenever possible. Let the engine slow itself down if you know you'll have to stop.
>>
>>36537642
I hate driving cars, motorcycles are more fun and I might even get to die.
>>
idk i dont give a fuck while driving
>>
>>36538314
>wiggling
Fuck no. Don't act irrationally in traffic, you fuckwit. Start blinking early and lightly tap your brakes so the lights flash.
>>
>>36538179
>not him but

It took me around 80 hours of highway/city driving to be confident enough to take the test. Your main mechanics are:

- Keeping track of speed and maintaining a consistent speed (as well as maintaining the flow of traffic when appropriate)
- Braking smoothly and at appropriate distances
- Turning & knowing the radius your car requires to do so
- Reversing the vehicle smoothly
- Parking
- Keeping track of other cars
- Keeping track of signage and responding appropriately (when to stop, when to yield, how to handle odd merge lanes, memorizing the markers & general signs)
- Navigating narrow roadways
- Merging into traffic
- Watching for hazards on the road (animals/other drivers)

There's more, but that's what's off the top of my head. These things come with experience & practice. There are also lots of lessons on YouTube which can help on the specifics.

They're not hard, and eventually they'll be subconsciously done. You'll continue to learn even after you get the license, since road tests only cover a small portion of skills.
>>
>>36538487
Same, people will adjust to my autism.

>car in front of me is making a right
>realize too late that I can't just pull off to the shoulder and I won't be able to break comfortably
>pull into oncoming traffic to avoid him
>cars 300 yards away lose their shit when they see my car looking at them

Haha yeah beep beep to you too faggots
>>
During your driving test, make sure not to ask your tester how to do something. If you do, they might dock you or even auto fail you for instructor interference. Be confident in what you're doing. You can ask for clarification on directions, like if they say turn up ahead you can ask if they mean the next street or the next stoplight, but don't ask them what to do to make that turn.

They will test you a little bit on how to operate certain features of the car, like the defroster, the blinkers, how to open the hood, fairly simple stuff you can do in the driver's seat.

If you know what town you're taking the driving test in, then you can practice driving around that town before taking the test. Becoming familiar with the area, knowing where the roads go, where stoplights are, and what the speed limit is can help you from stressing a lot.

Always remember that a lot of people fail their driving test the first time. If you do, the instructor will tell you why, and give you a sheet with what you scored on everything. Use this as an opportunity to better yourself and work on any problems and errors you made.

There are some auto fail things, but they are kinda hard to do unless you don't know them. You should be able to look up a scoring sheet for wherever you are, but the auto fail things are stuff like running red lights.

As long as you don't hit anyone, though, there isn't any problem with failing your first time.
>>
>>36538492
Yeah like i said i wouldn't recommend doing it, but sometimes people are cunts and will not let you merge into a lane, especially in the bay area. Sometimes acting like you're an incompetent fuckwit who will get yourself and them killed is the easiest way to get around.
>>
File: 1492701344851.jpg (86KB, 600x739px) Image search: [Google]
1492701344851.jpg
86KB, 600x739px
> tfw cant live out of a little pickup truck
> going to have to buy big rv and lug it around
> i dont even own a vehicle
>>
It's the parents watching over your shoulder that are making you nervous. I got my license late too, and after I learned the absolute basics I would just steal the keys and take the car out at night. Less cars on the road and very cozy. Not recommended if you are an african american for obvious reasons.
>>
>>36538492
Brake checking doesn't work on maniacs like me, friendo. Neither does wiggling and spazzing out. Only thing you can do is go faster. Or you could go really nuts like this one dude who was waggling his car around with his finger out the window and lose control and go off a cliff. That was fuckin' hilarious. Hope the fucker lived.
>>
>been driving almost daily for 12 years
>no tickets ever

goml
>>
>>36537642
I've always found driving to be very relaxing. Especially if you're driving a nice car. Mine is a 25 year old shit heap but even still I enjoy driving and maintaining it.
>>
File: 20170419_215626.jpg (806KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170419_215626.jpg
806KB, 3264x1836px
>listening to music
Guess I don't have trouble driving. It was hard for me too at first but I got used to it. Listening to music works for me since I drive more nicely.
>>
I'm fine with driving but when I drive somewhere more than 30 minutes away I get REALLY anxious and nervous.
>>
>>36537642
Most cars are safe af now. You won't die unless it's head on or into a tree on a highway so just fucking relax. The shittest drivers I know are the most unconfident who are indecisive and just freeze.
>>
i wish driving licences didn't cost a month of full-time minimum wage where i live
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.