[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robots who bought into the stem meme, do you wish you picked

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: stem.jpg (39KB, 460x431px) Image search: [Google]
stem.jpg
39KB, 460x431px
Robots who bought into the stem meme, do you wish you picked something that actually interested you instead? At the end of the day, one meme degree is as good as another.
>>
I picked STEM because I have no interests. Might as well study something that will guarantee me a job.
>>
It's a tough thought to reconcile. On one hand, I'll be making good money out of the gate. On the other my student debt is so high that it will be like I'm making a more average income. Makes me wonder what I would be doing right now if I had zero debt.
>>
>>36475583
I wish I never went to college.
>>
>>36475583
This character was a convicted criminal tbf. He tried to lie about it, but he still had an employment gap of like 5 years, and when you've been unemployed that long nobody will touch you.
>>
>>36475583
>Robots who bought into the stem meme, do you wish you picked something that actually interested you instead?
No. My day consists of coding, doing math, and writing about math and what my code did. It's tied with soccer as the best thing going on in my life right now.
>>
>>36475583
Looking back at it I kind of wish i just went into trades, but my parents pushed me towards stem because they said it would be better. Im too far in now to turn back, so may as well just suck it up and finish.
>>
>>36475700
I have an employment gap of 20 years.
>>
>>36475583
Sometimes I wish I picked archaeology, but then I realize I would just be digging pottery and studying some piles of ugly stones
>>
>>36475583

No. Even though I'd be more interested in something like History or Computer Science, going with Biophysics was probably the best decision in my life

>Found an immunology research job well ahead of graduation, my current boss literally responded within 24 hours of me sending my app to an institute-wide database
>Recently decided that research isn't for me and am now heading into the Navy to become a nuclear engineer (they heavily favor people with engineering or math/ physics degrees, and my biophysics degree counts)
>Can even apply to medical school if still want to change careers- my degree program included all of the required coursework for med school applications.

So many options and I didn't even get honors or have to do tryhard shit like double major.
>>
>>36475583
I picked stem because I had genuine interest. Since I was a kid, I was fascinated about how dumb shit like home apliances and computers worked; thats why I picked engineering. Now that I have a vage idea, the magic seems to be gone. Sometimes, knowledge is sadness.
>>
>>36475732
Wait, you're 38 years old? Shit, you're like a dinosaur by internet standards.
>>
>>36475798

He could be smartass who got his first job at 20.
>>
What if you're interested in the STEM field you're in?
>>
>>36475641
>guarantee me a job
I've got some news for you anon.
>>
>>36475798
39. Considering I worked a temp job for a day at a factory one time when I was 18, my gap is more like 21 years quickly approaching 22.
>>
>>36475583

I picked chemistry because I genuinely enjoy it
>>
I always loved sciences. I was genuinely interested in computer science, but I suck at math. Two years into community college, barely making it, I found out I have "dyscalculia" which is basically dyslexia for math.
>>
>>36475832
If I actually finish my degree then job is pretty much guaranteed.
>>
>>36475583
I did math because math was the only thing I found easy.
>>
>>36475839
Damn anon. What have you done with your life instead?
>>
>>36475869
Waste time on the internet. What else? What started out to be aimless surfing and shitposting turned into a programming hobby. I got a BS in CompSci (got it 2 years ago - time flies) but haven't mustered the courage to apply to many places (employment gap is a big concern.) I have been dicking around with grad programs. I'm about to apply for some more after withdrawing from yet another one. I figure it is harder to reject a MS than a BS.
>>
>>36475861
where did you get that idea, because some clueless journalist said STEM is in really high demand? in reality there's NO guarantee unless your daddy has tons of connections. but I guess it depends on what you did, which is why this whole thing is retarded, there's no such thing as majoring in "STEM" what do you actually study? if it's CS or something, then yes you can quite easily get a job. if you study physics then you're fucked.
>>
>>36476015
I study medicine.
>>
>>36476145

Medicine isn't actually STEM. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>36476269
Then what is it? I would've assumed it fell under the science part.
>>
>>36476269
again why the STEM meme makes no sense. medicine is a very good thing to study, but because it doesn't fall under some arbitrary category you think it isn't.
>>
I study EE because it interests me and I enjoy the challenge.
Also I have to work with a lot of different people for projects so it helps as exposure therapy for my social anxiety.
>>
>>36476269
Medicine is a hard science.
>>
>>36475583
I did STEM and I got the cushy office job I was promised. I have no interest in it and have no idea what I'll do with my life after I inevitably hit my breaking point, but at least I'll have a bit of money
>>
>>36475583
I never got my degree to get a job, otherwise I would've gone CS or other some shit. Unfortunately my biology degree doesn't give me good career options so I wish I had double majored or gotten a trade or something.
>>
>>36475938
Please dont devaule graduate degrees with your unmotivated, pathetic beta genes
>>
>>36476933
I will do what I like. There are things in computer science I still want to study that are only covered in grad level courses.

Don't mistake a keen awareness of my instability and sleep disorders with lack of motivation.
>>
>>36475583
I'm gona echo >>36475641 but also add that math is my easiest subject so it was a natural choice. I wasnt trying to impress anybody or pick something stemy. Just wanted to get throigh college. But also >>36475671. Huge waste of time.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.