[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is time?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: CheeseDanish.jpg (130KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
CheeseDanish.jpg
130KB, 500x350px
What is time?
>>
File: da18-Djn.jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
da18-Djn.jpg
12KB, 240x240px
>>36460429
A concept made by humans to help organize their day to day lives
>>
File: kant.jpg (206KB, 710x735px) Image search: [Google]
kant.jpg
206KB, 710x735px
It's one of two the a priori conditions of all human sensibility, as everyone knows.
>>
>>36460429
Its the 4th dimension of space.
>>
The 4th dimension, which contains every possibility for manipulation of the 3rd
>>
A way humans measure change
>>
>>36460429
A fourth axis of movement.
>>
>>36460858
>>36460807
>>36460799
>>36460520
>>36460471
>>36460470
But what causes it?
>>
>>36460902
Well theres more than one definition but we're talking about movement so in a sense nothing does just like nothing forces you to move (other than spatial movements outside of your control).
Don't try and vosualize ot though since humans can't think in four dimensions and we really have no control over it anyways. Besides it has more to do with astronomy than just humans moving through space.
>>
>>36460930
Just because humans can't think in four dimensions doesn't mean there isn't an answer to my question
What was the great initiator? Is time infinite?
>>
>>36460858
But we only think time exists.
Science is based on the illogical conqution that because we can't perceive everything all at once, things like time, and cause and effect exist.
>>
>>36460930
>>36460858
Such a useless definition. It's not like a 4th axis of movement, that doesn't explain time at all
>>
File: bee-yourself-2713479.png (29KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
bee-yourself-2713479.png
29KB, 500x663px
>>36460429
The movement of everything with a tendency for stuff energy to mix and dissipate. Time is meaningless without matter. That's why modern physics consider time and space one and the same thing. They talk about spacetime.
>>
>>36460946
For us humans it may as well be infonite though we cant comprehend that either so oh well. This is usually where God comes in and takes over science.
>>36460948
Look up time dilation. Time is very much a real movement. It can be accelerated or held constant. Dont get philosophical on us. If you want to argue that we cant perceive the universe then just shut up because you cant perceive your own fedora. Science is just observation and speculation, nothing more.
>>36460961
Theres obviously multiple definitions and perspectives to all this since time is a vague word, but you give it a shot then. I'm just talking about it in the sense of spacetime since that's the most "physical" definition.
>>
>>36460902
The legit kantian answer would be something along the line: lol idk, the human mind is just that way, get over it. To put it simply: Kant saw time as an inherent human mental construct that shapes how we perceive reality (this is known as the ideality of time, that is, time is nothing independently of the human mind, it has no substantial, independent existence as Newton thought). He never really answers WHY space and time are the only two a priori concepts that shape our whole perception.
>>
>>36460976
This is way to accurate for /r9k/. The retards here don't get entropy.
>>
>>36460902
Also note that causation makes no sense when related to time. The relationship of cause and effect already implies the concept of time. If time were the effect of something else, then that something else would exist before time, which makes no sense because before time there is no "before".
>>
>>36460429
It is speed x distance.
>>
>>36461203
And speed is distance/time. Circular definition. Try again.
>>
File: velocity.gif (3KB, 270x149px) Image search: [Google]
velocity.gif
3KB, 270x149px
>>36461233
Blahblhhhabla
>>
daaaayum would eat that kaffeestueckchen
>>
>>36460902
I know you're trying to be "wow2deep4me"

but it's "caused" by the rotation around the sun.

which is caused by the physics of the universe and alignment of earth as it is situated in space.

splitting the clock into 24 hours is relatively new as far as human history goes, however we can quantify a second, and therefore every other unit of measurement, but all of this is flawed, any math involving time is always going to be near imperfect and just a human way of organising something they can't quantify into meaningful, "close enough" chunks.

Time is like God, it's just a way of justifying something that is really hard to justify, except it is actually calcuable, but not to most people, therefore the 24 hour clock.

that is "time" as it exists on earth, in regards to the universe and outside the universe, time passes at a constant, what doesn't pass at a constant is light.

"Time itself", "Real time" isn't anything, it's just the period of time where we haven't succumb to heat death, prevented by chaos in the universe.
>>
>>36460429
a one way street
>>
>>36461871
So is time infinite?
>>
>>36461904
time isn't infinite or finite, time is a human measurement, projecting meaning onto a system based wholey on physics.

There is no "time" outwith the human understanding, and light restrictions of "time"

No, "time" is a striaght line, and that's all it ever has been, or will ever be, it is nothing.

Even after the global heat death of the universe, "time" will continue.
>>
Time and space are powerful lenses which draw out whole world of phenomenon.
>>
>>36461934
>numbers aren't real; they're just abstract concepts humans use to quantitatively understand the laws of nature!!! ! !!! ! !!! ! ! !1
oh boy, next you're gonna start telling me love is just a bunch of chemical reactions in my brain encouraging me to propagate and ensure the survival of my species. pfffffftttt boring
>>
>>36461988
b-but a-anon that is exactly the case.
>>
>>36460429
The fuck is toast? Pieces of bread? What is bread?
>>
>>36462119
What is bread? Heated dough. What is dough? Flour mixed with water. What is flour? Finely ground wheat. What is wheat?

I dare any anon to keep going from there for at least 3 more questions.
>>
>>36461997
these might be the concrete answers to the question "what are" but that's not the most interesting question to ask. pseudointellectuals and master baiters will ask "why are", but clearly that's not the most interesting question either because nobody can agree on anything and it's honestly just cringy opinions of edgelords and armchair PhD holders. "how" is the question that fills in the gaps left over by scientists and "detail" thinkers.

"what is" love... sure.
"why is" love... well ok.
but "how". "how" is love.

how do people endure so much pain for someone else when it is not beneficial to their survival. how do people live with themselves knowing they've broken other people's hearts. how does one summon the courage to tackle all odds for love when they have easier options available to them. how is what makes us human. how is the beautiful gray area between the autism of what and why, in which you will find actual answers relevant to how you experience life. embrace how, embrace life.

jk i'm a pseudointellectual too l m f a o
>>
>>36462119
Does toast exist? If toasts exists and toast is good, why does evil exist?
>>
>>36462203
I like this post

originally of course
>>
>>36462203
I mean if you asked "how does someone get over a breakup"

my answer would be "time"
>>
>>36462203

Is time part of space? or are space and time separate, because things happen "in" space, but very rarely does something happen "to" space. in the same way things happen "in" time but not "to" time.

we can't physically touch space, or time, touchign space is like touching nothing, space isn't even a mixture of gases, we're told it's nothing at all.

how does space exist? how are objects suspended in nothing, not even gravity? why?

Why does my dog shit on the rug?

Why does my roomba avoid that one spot?

why is cheese yellow?

who cares about any of this shit, you'll never know, so stop fucking tryharding.
>>
File: IMG_1237.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1237.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
STOPPED

ZA WARDUO: TOKI WO TOMARE
>>
File: 1492761270724.jpg (14KB, 323x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492761270724.jpg
14KB, 323x250px
>>36462145
Wheat is a plant. What is a plant? A plant is a organism. What is an organism? An organism is something that replicates and reproduces by extracting energy from sunlight, the soil, or other organisms - in other words, a living thing, life. What is life? Life is something that clmes together in environments where the energy and nutrient allow for their combined utilization, such as on Earth, the chiec element of this being water and the liquid state of it.
>>
time is the perception of passing events
>>
>>36460429
Mmm that picture makes me crave pizza. I haven't eaten dairy in 3 weeks. Either I'll keep that meme rolling or I'll get pizza soon. Pizza Hut lets you get cheeselovers and add extra shit onto it in a way that makes the extra cheese free.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.