[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Be a happy consumer.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: 1378027462417.jpg (88KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1378027462417.jpg
88KB, 700x525px
Why do men feel like they need to be useful or productive in order to feel happy? There are way too many people in the world, no one needs you to create things or effect change. Why can't you just enjoy experiencing things other people have created and go out and enjoy nature without feeling bad that you haven't contributed anything?

I created this thread after seeing some of you relate strongly to this passage of a professor's suicide note:
>Why not do the things I love? For example, I loved novels, (live and recorded) music, plays, movies, and films. I enjoyed watching ball sports on tv. I loved being out in nature, on a trail or off.

>Over the past few years I've tried to do that, and while my enthusiasm for those things did not wane, they share something in common: they are consumption. And for some unknown, damnable reason, I could only do so much consumption. Just doing things I enjoyed consuming was a tried and true path to depression for me. To feel good about myself -to be able to look myself in the mirror - I needed to produce.
https://willopines.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/punched-out/
>>
l reaIly wanna know
>>
>>36423309
well the problem is if everyone thought like this we would get nowhere in life.
>>
File: 1485883813222.png (239KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1485883813222.png
239KB, 900x675px
>>36423309
It's human nature to want to produce as well as consume. If it wasn't, no advancements would be made.
Humanity would die out.
>>
File: UrinalPeeBag.jpg (61KB, 783x1029px) Image search: [Google]
UrinalPeeBag.jpg
61KB, 783x1029px
>>36423449
But if people don't adapt to accepting passive consumerism and self enjoyment they end up depressed and even suicidal because they can't deal with how disposable, useless and irrelevant they are.
>>
>>36423536
speak for yourself anon. Not everyone is going to be depressed for being productive. That kind of thinking is probably aiding in your own depression, you should think about that.
>>
File: happy-balls.jpg (58KB, 1195x900px) Image search: [Google]
happy-balls.jpg
58KB, 1195x900px
>>36423568
Pic related, its me. I'm just trying to enlighten some folks who feel bad because they can't compete in society, whereas I literally don't give a fuck. Not trying to glorify incompetence, but rather to tell men that your self worth should not be tied to your utility- undo that mentality.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
This thread is so filled with implicit ideology that is not even funny.
>>
I consume and contribute as little as possible. I just like doing nothing. That's the good shit.
>>
File: 1478599900098.jpg (87KB, 882x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478599900098.jpg
87KB, 882x640px
>>36423727
hahahahah

fuck the roboto
>>
You sound like a taoist or like someone who would enjoy learning about taoism

I suggest you check out the tao te ching. Translations of it are very easy to read, but you still have to think about the true meanings
>>
>>36423449
dubious

people rise to challenges

there is a problem of artificial challenge promoting artificial growth

humanity is in such a fantasy bubble worth bursting it isn't even funny
>>
>>36423449
But not everyone thinks like this. Only some of us. All we're saying is we shouldn't be shamed fro not having the same values.

To some, being "productive" leads to stress and an unfulfilled life. To others, the opposite.
>>
>>36423309
yh no, you are just one of those people who havn't learn enough to do their own thing, like its great to create somethings others use and/or admire. it gives you status and feels good desu.
>>
>>36424136
But what if you are just average all around? No one cares about ok art, they only care about the masterpieces.
>>
File: gv46354y54.png (724KB, 928x475px) Image search: [Google]
gv46354y54.png
724KB, 928x475px
>>36424136
>its great to create something
Sure
>others use and/or admire.
But the satisfaction you get from being creative shouldn't depend on how others receive it, or if anyone even notices
>it gives you status and feels good desu.
good goy
>>
>>36423309
Indeed no one needs you to create NEW things, but they do need you to create things that we know of.
Only a few actually do want to create something new and make a break through, most are being "productive" simply for the money they need to survive.
>>36424258
If you dont feel more joy when something you create or do inspires joy in others, i dont know what to say.
>>
>>36424342
>something you create or do inspires joy in others
I never known what this feels like and it can't be healthy for you to require such thing sin order to feel happy and intrinsically valuable
>>
>>36424342
>If you dont feel more joy when something you create or do inspires joy in others, i dont know what to say.
I feel the same, anon.
>>
>>36424516
It cant be healthy for you to require any 2 specific things to be happy, whatever they are, these 2 are no different.
But on top of other things that do make me happy that dont require interactions with others in any way, making someone laugh or brightening up their mood certainly does make me good as well. Seeing people enjoy what i draw is a nice feeling. And its certainly a much different feeling when people enjoy something you create, than when you enjoy something others have created. Its just not the same. Whichever you prefer is your personal preference and i dont care about it, but you cannot judge me and people like me for it.
As far as value goes, and what people do to feel valuable, thats a far more complex topic than youd think, it really comes down to what the person believes. Some believe they have to achieve something, some believe they dont, some believe that helping others makes them valuable some dont, personal preference.
But if you are lets say a game developer of a series somebody likes, you certainly are valuable, not just to yourself, but others as well, and once again those are 2 different feelings.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.