[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

International Baccalaureate

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12

File: IBlogo.png (48KB, 494x485px) Image search: [Google]
IBlogo.png
48KB, 494x485px
Hey lads, do any of you take the IB? If so, what has been your experience with it? Do you feel like it was worth it?

The final exams for the IB Diploma are in 2 weeks and I'm freaking the fuck out ~desu.
>>
File: IBDPModel2013_2015.jpg (54KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
IBDPModel2013_2015.jpg
54KB, 590x590px
>>36354424

By the way, for those of you who don't know what's the IB Diploma:

>The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a two year educational programme primarily aimed at students aged 16 to 19. The program provides an internationally accepted qualification for entry into higher education and is recognised by many universities worldwide. It was developed in the early to mid 1960s in Geneva, Switzerland, by a group of international educators.

Pic related. It's what we do in the program.
>>
>>36354424
My current high school is an IB school. I'm not planning on taking the IB diploma program but I've heard mostly negative things about, which was part of my decision not to take it.
>>
Took IB when I was in highschool a few years back. I passed everything except HL Physics and I never bothered to retake it. Honestly it was p useless but the workload prepared me for college
>>
>>36354633
Yeah, many parts of it do tend to suck. My school doesn't give us a choice taking it so there was nothing I could do there. A good thing is that the amount of workload in the IB prepares you for further education.
>>
I did IB. 200% not worth it. Assuming you go to UNI/Collage...they don't give a toss whether you did IB or local equivalent.

AMA
>>
>>36354725
Which subjects did you take besides HL Physics?

I took:

>English Lit & Lang HL
>Spanish Lit SL
>Physics SL
>Computer Science HL
>Maths Studies
> Business and Management HL
>>
>>36355020
I took:

Eng HL
Span SL
Bio SL
Busman HL
Hist HL
Studies Sl

I did enjoy tok.
>>
>>36354984
I'm planning to go to a uni in the UK. I've been told by my teachers that the unis over there love the IB, specially the EE.

I would like to ask:

>Which subjects did you take?
>How many points did you score?
>>
>>36355044
Oh sweet. How much did you score?
>>
>>36354424
IB cuck here. Here's my list of subjects
>Geography SL
>French SL
>Physics SL
>English (lang/lit) HL
>Math HL
At least my exams are in a month
>>
>>36355127
In order of last post:

I did pretty good.
>>
>>36355183
Forgot to mention Chemistry HL
>>
File: 1492476927231.jpg (42KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492476927231.jpg
42KB, 720x720px
>>36354424
Overall, I would say the program is not super useful, but it can be a fun experience. You will make good friends (maybe) and lots of IB teachers are pretty cool, while some are shit. The workload will definitely prepare you for college, but all the loopholes you need to go through are just annoying and restrictive such as being forced to do IAs, the EE, take TOK, CAS, etc. An IB diploma will also have no use considering you should have already applied to your desired colleges

You can take AP classes and have a bit more freedom. You might even have more free time to pursue ECs, which will help you more.

And I would not stress about the exams at all. I did about 30 minutes -1 hour of "studying" prior to each exam and just bullshitted my way through. I learned nothing and still thought it was doable if you simply think. And even if you don't get the diploma, there's not much consequence. It only hurts your self-esteem and every other IB student will try to figure out who didn't get it. The diploma is basically a glorified sticker of completion

so yeah, if you're not dumb and put effort into the rest of the program, you'll be fine
>>
>>36355183
In a month? Crap, I'm jelly.

How do you feel about the IB?
I tend to see a diverse set of opinions regarding the IB depending which country one is from. Americans tend to hate it with a passion.
>>
>>36355213
>Chemistry HL
>Maths HL

Did you have a death wish?
>>
>>36355206
Wow, that's really fucking good.

>Tfw struggling to get a 5

(Assuming you're in uni) Has any part of the IB been useful to you in university/college?
>>
>>36355274
Meh. There was a lot of shit I wanted to do that I couldn't get done because of IB, so I have mixed feelings; I feel well-prepared for uni but I'm disappointed that I couldn't do what I wanted to do.
>Americans tend to hate it with a passion.
So do Canadians, for the same reason I guess
>>
>>36355307
Chem was terrible tbqh, but I really enjoyed math HL (for which I have a predicted 7)
>>
>>36355269
Thank you, anon. Stress does get to me sometimes.

>But all the loopholes you need to go through are just annoying and restrictive such as being forced to do IAs, the EE, take TOK, CAS, etc.

THIS to the power of a billion. TOK and CAS were one of the things I'm hating the most. I feel like I would have liked TOK more if our teacher knew how to teach it.

By the way, I'm not from the USA but I would have taken the AP's if I could. My school made it obligatory to take the IB's.
It would be pretty disastrous if I don't pass my IB though, it costs a pretty penny and it's my way out of the country I'm living in (I hate it here)
>>
File: IMG_1259.jpg (42KB, 600x315px)
IMG_1259.jpg
42KB, 600x315px
I went to an IB school where I live (SoCal) and it (plus other factors) nearly drove me to kill myself and for the other students caused a shit ton of headaches and sleepless nights studying. Only 3 students that have taken full IB schedules got into an Ivy League school since IB became a thing at my high school in 2011(?). Everyone else goes to various state colleges and are getting mostly bullshit liberal arts or communications memes and a lot of the kids that breezed their way through IB ended changing their majors, sometimes twice, and I only graduated in 2015. The only person I know that isn't going into a meme-tier degree or a specific field is a friend of mine busting her ass getting an economics degree but she has told me on several occasions that the uni she goes to doesn't give a fuck about her and that the school is overrun with FOB asians or Libtards. I got a job directly after high school and learned very quickly that high school does not matter.

>tl;dr don't take IB
>>
>>36355602
Yeah, that's basically in a nutshell why Americans don't like/don't have much use for the IB. It really is a shitton of work.

What job did you take after finishing school, anon? I'm still considering my options besides going to university (in the UK)
>>
>>36355762
I ended up working at a grocery store chain as a bagged but I just got promoted to a straight cashier, they don't care about your grades, they want someone with a work ethic and someone who can actually get shit done
>>
>>36354424
my ex gf( she said it was only out of pity, so not a norman) took it. Only got into the local uni with it, and she was disabled so she had neetbucks to pay for college anyway. It's basically a waste of time.
>>
>>36354424
I fuckinh failed and you will too if you don't get your shit together
>>
File: cri.jpg (12KB, 500x259px)
cri.jpg
12KB, 500x259px
>>36356051
I know. I'm trying, anon.
>>
>>36356047
>disabled so she had neetbucks to pay for college anyway

I'm failing and now considering if I should disable myself for some sweet neetbucks.
>>
>>36356107
wanna know the worse part anon?
I fucking studied for this shit for 6 fucking months prior the test
I left HS and when I got my grades back I knew I could never looked my teachers in the face again
and they were the type of teachers who gave a shit about learning
I fucking gave it my all and failed
this is a failure I have to take for the rest of my life
of all 6 exams I took I only passed 1
everything else I got 3's
this killed me on the inside
only a few people aside my teachers know about this
every time I remember this failure I die on the inside a little more
don't be me anon
I'm not even memeing
>>
>>36356155
she has had Arthritis since childhood, basically college and the rest of her life are paid in full. I doubt you could get as good a deal.
>>
File: IQ_template_Copy.jpg (191KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
IQ_template_Copy.jpg
191KB, 857x1202px
Eh I went 5 years ago, I ende up dropping out and going to a normie school. Its the moment I realized I failed and am irredeemable in life. The school I went to was also the best school ive ever been to as well. I sometimes drive to the school at night smoking cigs and just crying looking at the school from a distance. IB, if I had my shit together would have been easy but i fucked up from grade 8 to 11 and lost it all, intelligence was the only thing i had and i lost it.

I want to die. Good luck anon.
>>
>>36355269
>IAs, the EE, take TOK, CAS, etc.
what is all this crap. how do you keep track of whatever these are?

>t. went to average american h.s in the 90s
>>
File: Ux0dvc6.png (30KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
Ux0dvc6.png
30KB, 500x461px
>>36356191

I'm really sorry to read that, anon. I really mean it. Shit like that happens, I'm sorry you went through it. Don't let stuff like that define you.
>>
File: 1492409527631.gif (2MB, 448x295px)
1492409527631.gif
2MB, 448x295px
>>36356406
>IAs
stupid little essays you need to do

>EE
a big dumb essay you need to do

>tok
99% of the time a pointless class. For about two days, we discussed the notion: "if a banana turned blue, would it still be a banana?"

>CAS
community service. 150 hours required in total. you also need to write shitty ~2 page essays about how it changed your life, and you need to get signatures from your teachers. if they take it seriously, it's a pain in the ass
>>
If it wasn't for IB I would be in a fucking ditch somewhere, probably. Just fucking do it.
>>
>>36356406

>IA = Internal Assesment
These are 2000 word essays you have to do for each of the 6 subjects you chose. Some subjects require you to do more than 1.

>EE = Extended Essay
A 4000-word thesis-like essay about a subject of your interest. If you fail that crap you fail the IB.

>TOK = Theory of knowledge
Basically, a subject everyone in the IB has to take, and also write an essay about. It's like epistemology 101.

>CAS = Creativity, Action,Service
An extra thing the IB requires you to do for "personal development". Throughout the 2 years of IB, you have to do 150 hours of CAS. I did backstage in a school play (creativity) I was in a football team (action) and I volunteered in a local orphanage (service)
>>
>>36356406
IA- I forgot.

EE- Extended Essay, pretty much a legitimate research essay that you have like a year to do. Ends up super long.

TOK- Theory of knowledge, bullshit useless class thats requires for some reason.

CAS- Pretty much like service hour requirements but instead of just like volunteering you have to do art hours (Creativity, the "c" in the acronym), athlete hours (Athletics, the A) and service which is just normal service hours.

IB is just a shit ton of work.
>>
>>36356401
Thank you, anon.

One never knows what could have happened exactly if you did x or y. Things might not have played out like you thought they would.

Good luck in life to you too!
>>
>>36356605

Depends on what you want to do after HS really
>>
>>36355020
SL Economics
HL English
HL Spanish
SL Business and Management
HL Physics
SL Math

thats it
>>
>>36356191
that's rough stuff, I know how it feels when I study my shit off for a test, but this is definitely a bigger scale.

it makes you feel limited, but know that there are people who wouldn't even bother to put that effort in.

what was the test about? I don't even know what you're suppose to learn for it
>>
File: 1486357045281.png (32KB, 688x578px) Image search: [Google]
1486357045281.png
32KB, 688x578px
>>36354424
I am going to take the exams in 2 weeks as well, and I honestly think the whole thing was pointless. I already got into a good college, so what's the point for these exams? what is that trying to prove?
I heard that a lot of people in the year before mine didn't give a shit about the exams.

also, The school I am going to right now is starting to realize that it it isn't really all worth it.
OP, how are you dealing with all of it right now?
for me,
I don't care much for the exams and I'm not really going to study for them at all.
>>
>>36356708
Eh im a narcissistic lil bitch so I had pretty grand schemes, I expected myself to be the richest persom im the world, which I guess shows you how delusional I was. I still think it could have happened had a fuckup I committed in 8th grade not snowballed. Maybe thats just how one should feel when your family are accomplished investors, rocket scientists and physicists.
>>
File: yes.png (127KB, 327x338px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
127KB, 327x338px
>>36356871

I definitely feel very overwhelmed by it all. I go to a private school where everybody has to take the IB and people here really do take it very very seriously. After the exams, it's a tradition to host a really fancy graduation with all students and families so it would be fucking soul-crushing to attend knowing that you didn't make it. It also costs a ton to take these exams in my school, so my parents would be very disappointed. To top it all off, my family is planning to move to the UK this year, if I fail the exam I'd have to do a retake in November, meaning I would have to find a new house and live on my own for 6 months.

Yeah, basically I'm shitting myself.
>>
File: ffrogggo.jpg (80KB, 976x988px) Image search: [Google]
ffrogggo.jpg
80KB, 976x988px
>>36357087
I also go to a private school, but the difference is that everyone doesn't take it very seriously but they still require everyone to do it.
My plans for the future are to go to college in the same city I live in, and I'm already enrolled and everything so I feel like I don't even need to worry about these exams but will still try to do my best.
Just curious, but where are you from? are you moving to UK from the US?
>>
Fuck me. A ton of people here are likely underage.
>>
>>36357065
Your family history certainly did put the stakes high for you, I don't blame you for beating yourself up for it.

You know what they say:
>You can only ever be disappointed if you had high expectations in the first place
>>
>>36357167
people taking the exams would be 18 or 19.
>>
>>36357167
OP here. I'm guessing most anons here are 18 - 24. I'm 18 myself.

Not sure what you mean though.
>>
>>36357142
I'm from Mexico City. I've gone all my life to a British-Mexican school so it makes sense to move to a uni in the UK. I already have some family living there too.
>>
>>36357167
>>36357204

At the start of the programme, people are usually 16-18, and at the end mostly 18 or 19. So yeah.
>>
>>36357262
Oh ok. I am from the US. I hear about how "international" the program it is and I think thats the reason why my school made us do it. I go to a turbo liberal sjw normie hipster school within a turbo liberal sjw normie hipster city. Thats probably why not many people at this school even take it seriously.
only a few people are in it for the actual academic aspect.
I'm only in it because my parents forced me to because they thought I would drop out to watch anime and become a neet.
>>
It's a fucking scam dude, you're better off taking AP classes
>>
>>36357336
Yeah, there are a ton of IB World schools all over the globe. It's kind of cool to think about it, how many students all over the world share your experience with the IB.

>I go to a turbo liberal sjw normie hipster school within a turbo liberal sjw normie hipster city.

You poor thing. As if the IB wasn't bad enough already. I would have assumed the SJW's would be into this kinda stuff, hm.

>I'm only in it because my parents forced me to because they thought I would drop out to watch anime and become a neet

Kudos to your parents hahaha
>>
>>36357393
I would have if I was from the USA. I didn't have a choice in the school I go to.
>>
>>36357452
It is still really cool to think about what you were saying.
>you poor thing
I was trying to comment on the nature of how white people (especially in really liberal areas) try really hard to be all "cultured" and stuff like that but it ends up making them look even more ignorant. at least that's what it is like here.
>>
>>36354424
I did the IB program but never finished the IB diploma, in my senior year of high school I tuned out and never did the essay project thing

I am at a top 20 college now and like it here so I suppose everything worked out for me
>>
>>36357541
>try really hard to be all "cultured" and stuff
I can imagine. There's some of those over here as well, kind of. It does suck that over in the US by the time you get your exam results you should have applied to college already. Kind of defeats the purpose of it all.
>>
>>36357697
yeah thats exactly why I'm considering not even trying. LIke I said, I'm already enrolled in college for next year, so why would I even need to care about that?
It might seem less pointless if they had exams earlier than that, but I don't know how that would even work out.
>>
>>36357670
How did you get into it even if you didn't get your diploma?

(P.s. I'm not from the USA desu, so I'm not sure how your HS system works.)
>>
Everyone in my grade who had the classes were usually pretty same-y, all rich and/or had too much self-worth for their own good.

Also
>literal fucking high schoolers posting on /r9k/

Kys
>>
>>36357724
Well, just try for the sake of it. You have nothing to lose.

Plus, If you ever consider further education in a European country, many like to see how you did in the IB. Even employers look at that, I believe.
>>
>>36357813

>Everyone in my grade who had the classes were usually pretty same-y, all rich and/or had too much self-worth for their own good.

Spot-on description for my classmates over here too.

>Kys

Don't tempt me. I'm close enough already.
>>
>>36357864
I just found it kinda funny. All they really had to be proud of was being smarter than a bunch of niggers and kids who barely even came to school.

I'm glad i stayed away from that bullshit, I wanted to kill myself enough in high school, having to be indoctrinated into the jew's higher educational system that early would have made me do it
>>
>>36357979

Well, the IB really is a pain in the ass to complete successfully so I would say it's fair to be proud of doing that.

>having to be indoctrinated into the jew's higher educational system
Don't know about that desu
>>
>>36356861
>history HL
It was over us history from the first colonization to current day basically
There were 2 other sections over world war 1&2
At least that was the areas my teacher thought for the test

>physic HL
It went over velocity, momentum,energy, waves, them traveling through mediums and light waves, forces and rotational forces
The special topic we were prepared for was relativity
Math SL
Literally all math up to calc 1
Comp s I HL
The concept and functions of Java code
And the various concepts and functions of computer terms in coding and software
And a topic for me over digital animation

>English HL
Just fucking understanding literacy and some certain writers

>French HL
Literally just understand the French language verbally, orally and in writing

I only passed English
>>
>>36358245
Did you do the November re-takes?
>>
>>36358314
No
It wasn't an option
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.