[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free will makes no sense

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 434343.png (499KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
434343.png
499KB, 449x401px
The whole idea doesn't make any sense and it just seems like some stupid BS shoehorned into peoples' worldview for religious/political reasons.

Free will doesn't explain anything, doesn't simplify how things work, and honestly? Speaking for myself here, I don't "experience" it, so to me, it isn't even an illusion.

I don't even feel like I choose my thoughts. They literally just come. I don't sit there "pre-thinking" my thoughts, evaluating them on their perceived merit, and then choosing to think one of those thoughts as opposed to the next one.
>>
going to give this thread the old bumparoonie
>>
Get mental help, you sound insane
>>
>>36317657

I don't think there's anything much more insane than believing in free will.

It is completely illogical. Either your thoughts and actions are the causal products of prior events (so they're not free), or they're up to "randomness" (still not free, by definition uncontrollable).

Neither of those is compatible with free will.
>>
>>36317689
We are free enough to stay within our constraints
>>
>>36317831

Not if you get too much of some neurotransmitter in the wrong place, or too much pressure on some special part of your brain.

Then you're out howling at the moon or climbing up a water tower.
>>
Free will is irrelevant and pointless.

For if there is free will or there is no free will, one does not know what's around the corner, and will always act under the belief of free will. Or freely subjugate himself to the devotion of a deity, and them offering the same thing to him.
>>
>>36317960

>will always act under the belief of free will

That's just the thing. I don't act under that belief, and I don't believe many people do either.

They just think they do, but if they took their beliefs to its corollaries, it would soon become patently absurd.

I don't believe free will exists, I don't believe it's an "illusion", and I don't believe that I "experience it". On top of that, I don't believe others "experience" it either, or even assume its existence. I think they just think they do, but really don't, because free will belief leads to absurd consequences very quickly if you follow the logical implications.

>Or freely subjugate himself to the devotion of a deity, and them offering the same thing to him.

I don't think even a deity could have free will. It's a meaningless, empty concept, like "square circles".
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.