[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helping people (Volunteering)

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with volunteering?

I've volunteered so many times over the course of years and pretty much all the time I feel like volunteers are treated shit apart from top few percentage of volunteers. (I don't mean volunteering for animals)

Some thoughts?
>>
>>36307624
i've found it really enriching but it takes effort and once you stop volunteering you end up back where you started.

i imagine it could be difficult for somebody who isn't outgoing or empathetic. you have to put your own needs after those of others. in general it is quite thankless. you need to appreciate the positive effect you are having in the lives of others.
>>
>>36307660
What kind of volunteering do you do?
>>
>>36307624
Never did because I just got my green card after finishing my high school.

BUT maybe after I finish my Mathematics/Education degree in 4 years I'll go to the Peace Corps and maybe go somewhere in South America so I can teach math to the kiddos.
Would be funny if I actually came back to my homeland (Mexico) and teached kids math there, lmao.
>>
>>36307692
i have volunteered with kids, the elderly, animals. you name it. old folks are a struggle. most of my experience is with kids ranging from 6-18.
>>
>>36307748
Looks like we volunteer for different reasons. I mostly volunteer for events. That's probably why I feel like most volunteers get treated like shit.
>>
>>36307624
ill never get volunteering. i did it for 2 days, and then quit. literally working for FREE. doing hard work, putting up with peoples bullshit, and not even getting paid for it. no thank you.
>>
>>36307902
What kind of volunteer work did you do?
>>
>>36307804
I've also volunteered for events (well, just one)
The only bad part is that the group I had to welcome/help didn't do the things they had to do and expected me to do it instead, but it wasn't possible for me because I didn't have their information (and they did, they just didn't read it)

Example: they expected me to know what they had to do the next day. They had that information, didn't read it, didn't know they had it and asked me. I had to ask everybody to find out some information they already had and looked as an idiot as they expected me to have it.
>>
>>36307624
I "volunteered" to work the polls. You're considered a volunteer but you get a stipend. I made $160 during each election day. It's also something I put on my resume. It hasn't gotten me anywhere though, and I've been a full blown NEET the last 4 months.

Anyway, I guess the county registrar of voters was desperate enough, because my request to serve as a polling place supervisor was approved. Everything went smoothly. I'm a college graduate, and the polling place was small - everything fit into a garage. Processing voters is easy and gets repetitive fast.

The service pins we received were made in China. LOL.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.