[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me you didn't fall for the STEM meme, /r9k/.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: STEM.jpg (39KB, 460x431px) Image search: [Google]
STEM.jpg
39KB, 460x431px
Tell me you didn't fall for the STEM meme, /r9k/.
>>
Computer science PhD. Only recommend it if you want to understand exactly why tech is terrible and the current fads (i.e., machine learning) aren't going to work out.
>>
Worked for me.

Orig
>>
I did for the STEM meme and now I'm meme making 100k a year.
>>
I graduate Software Engineering this month...
I also watched antman last night

what a coincedence.
>>
>>36289406
>and the current fads (i.e., machine learning) aren't going to work out.

Care to elaborate?
Or post some links if you're too lazy.
>>
>>36289406
>current fads (i.e., machine learning) aren't going to work out
Can you tell me why? I'm not STEM, but I have a friend graduating in a month in CSE and he's super into that. I'd like to know what's up before I crush his dreams.
>>
No. I dont have a GED or anything at 34 and I've worked at Walmart for 11 years. No debt, but can't ever get a real job. Still, at $14/hr, it's the best paying job I'll ever have.

If I hadn't found something to do with my life by now, I never will.
>>
>>36289376
>Bigger brother went into engineering school, now 100k$ job as communication engineer at 24.
>friend of mine, also communication engineer, 100k as well
Lool u retard
>>
my brother makes 70k/year with the stem meme

I'm going medical meme though
>>
>>36289460
>>36289531
For machine learning in particular, it's not the best argument, but it's the simplest: You could build a digital computer entirely out of water pipes, since all the fundamental electronic components have plumbing analogues. How complex would a plumbing system have to be before you'd describe its behavior as "intelligent?" Not in this lame "my thermostat is smart because it shuts off the heat/cold while I'm away during the day," but in the more important sense of---being able to understand explanations, synthesize facts to generate new knowledge, invent new phrases to describe new situations, stuff like that. I think people get caught up in "brains are electric and computers are electric, and I use them in ways that are mysterious to me."

But for the broader question of why the fads never work out, it's because people don't know what they want. You have to have a fully-specified model of something to write a computer program, and the fads tend to represent a misunderstanding of models or their specification. For example, "machine learning" is a name that's applied to certain kinds of statistical inference, so "learning" refers to its jargony use in statistics (finding coefficients for a formal model, i.e., regression), which has nothing whatsoever to do with actual learning.
This also means that, to understand where this falls off the rails, you have to understand modeling in general. What do people want with models? Fundamentally, they want to control some aspect of the world. And here's an SEP article to better relay that aspect:
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/causation-mani/
But the problem is, what we want models to look like (i.e., "interventionist theories") can't capture the actual dynamics of the world. Scientists, bless their hearts, believe that any answer is better than no answer at all, so the next new thing always comes with starry-eyed hype that can never follow through into reality, because of our deficient techniques.
>>
>>36289376
Im American and luckily did not fall for the college meme. Make great money in my trade, work with my hands, get to be outside instead of a stuffy office.
>>
>>36289376
I'm a Microbiology BSc student that plans to get a PhD in parasitology or immunology

Is that a meme? Genuine question.
>>
>he fell for the STEM meme
>he fell for the liberal arts meme
>he fell for the trade school meme
>he fell for the high school diploma meme
>he fell for the education meme
>he fell for the career meme
you poor, sad, normalcuck bastards.
NEET life is best life.
>>
>>36289693
That was actually a well thought out and interesting response. Didn't see that coming on /r9k/. Not sure what to say other than thanks anon.
>>
Truth: out of five IT guys who work in a company where I wagekek two are autodidacts who never went for a degree.
Most employers these days are starting to realise that university education is a meme
>>
File: 1492200846854.png (15KB, 299x544px) Image search: [Google]
1492200846854.png
15KB, 299x544px
>>36289693
fuck you i WILL have my robot waifu and she WILL love me. Bezos would enver lie to me
>>
>>36289693
>being able to understand explanations, synthesize facts to generate new knowledge, invent new phrases to describe new situations, stuff like that.
why are those specific things outside of the reach of technology? while the rest of your post at least seems to be well structured, this part seems to be pulled straight out of your ass.
if you said the way we are going right now probably won't result in AI because most people don't think about these things, then i might agree with you, but saying that these things are outside of the reach of technology is just bullshit, more so with no explanation.
>inb4 because i said so and i am smart.
>>
>>36289406
which uni?

>>36289407
what field?

>>36289438
what field?

>>36289445
do you have a job lined up?
>>
File: Bored Nat.jpg (22KB, 395x428px) Image search: [Google]
Bored Nat.jpg
22KB, 395x428px
>math degree
>my one year neetversary is comong up
Well damn.
>>
Studying to become a doctor ATM, feels pretty good
>>
>>36291383
Are you me? Life is pain.
>>
>>36291436
Depends, you given up on a ever making a good career and joining the navy?
>>
File: 1491479978751.jpg (86KB, 599x669px) Image search: [Google]
1491479978751.jpg
86KB, 599x669px
>>36289376
I'm majoring in Art with a minor in Software Engineering.
>>
>>36291383
>math degree
fedora the degree
>>
>>36291383
At least you know math, I envy you. CS is a dogshit degree that provides no real insight
>>
Kinda, I did IST.

Just started looking for a job, I can probably find something remotely related. Hopefully learn a bit more from the job and on my own time so i can get into something more cushy. I'd like to do databasing cause it's not really programming and sql is easy.
>>
>>36292046
But anon that isn't philosophy. Besides I only did it since it was my easiest subject. I'm pretty indifferent to math.
>>36292400
I've forgotten so much though. Kinda sucks since I can't even explain to people how bullshit higher level math can be minus odd references to linear algebra and differential equations. Oh and mathematical statistics. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>36289693
Except that nobody except idiots outside the field ever claimed that machine learning is actually anything more than finding coefficients and building a reliable model.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.