[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you grow out of atheism? Me? I was 23.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: 1491859087453.jpg (285KB, 889x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1491859087453.jpg
285KB, 889x1126px
When did you grow out of atheism?

Me? I was 23.
>>
>>36191745

Maybe 23, most likely 24 as that was the definitive age for me. 23 is when the process started anyways.

Anyways, don't insult atheist robots, I know how they feel about life and it's not fair to further poke at their anguish.
>>
>>36191745
why is it that atheists are all average and mediocre while theists are usually complete retards or geniuses
>>
>>36191745
I grew out of it at 18. From the age 15-18 i would have these completely retarded "debates" with my dad over religion (he was raised Catholic, and raised us as Presbyterian) and I would always get so worked up over it. After a few years of that and after exploring my thoughts and beliefs, I abandoned atheism altogether. I believe in God again, but not really within any strict theology
>>
>>36191835
these are good questions
I think there's like 3-4 lectures by peterson out there on that topic
>>
File: pic related.jpg (85KB, 720x757px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
85KB, 720x757px
I grew into agnostic atheism at 13, thanks for asking op.
>>
>>36192760
oi wuss poppin
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-12-18-34-12.png (508KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-12-18-34-12.png
508KB, 540x960px
>>36192760
Same only at 12 tho because its kind of stupid to act like you now everything about the origin of life because in the end you look no more intelligent than the fedora wearing athiests and the bible thumpers
>pic semi-related
>>
>>36192928
Know*
Sorry for bad spelling
>>
>>36191835
retards are led easily by whatever is told to them is good, geniuses are a little weird in the head and prone to obsession over philosophical stuff, and religion is the best candidate for that.
>>
I never went atheist in the first place, but I got reassured in my faith when I was 17.
>>
>>36191745
When i lost my fedora.
>>
>>36191745
I'm too intelligent to believe in god unfortunately
>>
>>36191745
I didn't. Trusting some entity I have no reason to believe in wouldn't improve my life.
>>
>>36191745
I had doubts throughout high school and occasionally seriously considered agnosticism, but I never ventured into fedoratry because my parents took the head on in these kind of debates
>>
File: 1484873226473.jpg (15KB, 363x363px) Image search: [Google]
1484873226473.jpg
15KB, 363x363px
>It's another "Christcuck couldn't handle the reality that his life was literally pointless so he resorted to lying to himself in order to feel better" episode
>>
>>36193957
>>36193893
>>36193802
Don't like it when it's your own ass getting fucked, do yeah fedorabros?
>>
Pure atheism is bollocks, I knew that early on. Pure theism is also bollocks. I knew that earlier on.

Hail Eris.
>>
>>36192760
Fuck you

I stopped at 22. God I was such a faggot. I honestly thought of myself as superior when I was an atheist. Glad those days are over.
>>
>>36193985
Being purely atheist or purely theist means you have conviction and think seriously about things. Being indiferent and undecided is the easy way out.
>>
>>36194201
Serial killers also have convicion. I'm just not selfish enough to say god does or doesn't exist. Why believe in something that is at most unfalsifiable.
>>
>>36194279
Being a psychopath is just the anti-social equivalent of being a philosopher.
>>
>anti-atheism meme
>2017
>>
Religion is just one way people make excuses to think with "muh fillings!" rather than with logic.
>>
>>36194393
If I ever kill some people I will use that in my court case.
>>
So as a non-atheist yourself, what do non-atheists believe?
>>
I grew out of it at 18. I considered myself an atheist for a very short time, probably around 2 years.
I realized secularism is a major contributor to the downfall of societies, and this can be observed many times throughout history, in allegories and reality. Some days I'm not sure what exactly I "believe", but I can live with simply knowing there are things beyond us that we can't know.
>>
>growing out of atheism
so in other words you lurked on /pol/ so much that you started to believe atheism is a jewish ploy to destroy western society or some shit. I highly doubt you actually became a theist again, I've never heard of that actually happening. I wanted to believe in god again but once your mind rejects the idea of theism I don't think you can return to it.
>>
The world is suffering so there is no god i will ever worship. I dont think an all knowing all powerful god would let Suffering happen so im athiest. Sciencefag athiests are a problem tho
>>
>>36194704
that observation should not affect your personal beliefs. I find it ridiculous that so many faggots on here let politics affect their religious beliefs. religion does keep society in order, people have better morals when there's a supernatural cause to believe in. but that doesn't make god's existence any more plausible.
>>
I grew into it. I just don't see it necessary at all. And this is coming from someone who used to be a hardcore "born again" Christian.
>>
>>36192760
fuck you

oringaga
>>
When did you grow into a child who LARPed as a Christian online? You are no more obnoxious than the Reddit atheists and their fedoras.
>>
File: friedrich NEETzsche.jpg (21KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
friedrich NEETzsche.jpg
21KB, 474x528px
if you don't believe in god you're not a christian

if you believe in god in 2017 you're retarded

take on new values, be your own man, read nietzsche
>>
You don't need Christianity to get mad at faggots and muslims. I learned that a long time ago.
>>
>it's a christfags pretend they can comprehend a being that's beyond comprehension thread
>>
stupid religion stuff. there are a bunch of religions, some are waiting for god to come back, other's are waiting for god to rise, some religions have a bunch of gods. who cares about religions.
>>
>>36192760
damnit i thought i saw something fishy about this post. I hope your athiest god dies in his sleep tonight
>>
>>36192760
haha funny post anon
>>
What makes you a theist, OP? Is it that you believe an impersonal force called god created the world as we know it in an instant? Do you think he retired after that? Do you believe you have a close personal relationship with god through prayer? Does God talk to you? Do you go to church? What denomination are you? What does your denomination believe? Do you believe the bible is the literal word of God? Which books are in your bible and why? Is your church reformed? Which reformations do you reject? What lifestyle sacfices do you submit to because of your beliefs? Are you living how you want to or would a God-free life be more comforting/pleasing? Do you yield to a spiritual authority? If so, who is it? Who taught you the right answers to these questions? How did they learn the answers?
>>
>>36194201
>Being indiferent and undecided is the easy way out.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in regards to religious beliefs. you cannot prove either side indefinitely as the 100% truth when it comes to religious beliefs, and you NEVER will, which is why many choose the middle ground, such as agnosticism. In other words, they choose to keep an open mind when it comes to the origin of existence, analyzing both sides of the argument to why things are the way they are, but never fully falling on either side, only leaning closer to one side or the other. There is no "taking the easy way out by choosing neither" because neither side is completely right. Of course, one can lean towards science more than creation, and vise versa, but never is it healthy to adamantly stick to a statement as stupid as "God created the heavens and the earth because it says so in the Bible and I will have it no other way" or "God cannot exist because so many religions exist so none must be true." Both are blatantly ignorant statements.
You could argue that politics are the same thing as religion, and by choosing neither side to lean on is a terrible decision. I would agree, but a person unable to keep an open mind about politics and choose to just follow one side and ignore the other's good points entirely is just as bad as the example I gave. Literally zero critical thinking skills involved. You have to achieve a balance if you want to avoid looking like a dumbass.

tl;dr there's nothing wrong with balancing between pure atheism and pure theism, and choosing a middle ground belief such as agnostic-atheism or agnostic-theism. Like an agnostic-atheist scientist who won't believe in a creationist theory until factual evidence for it is presented.
>>
File: 1437154667145.jpg (82KB, 546x698px) Image search: [Google]
1437154667145.jpg
82KB, 546x698px
>>36191745

Why do you treat religion as a natural part of maturing? Is it some sort of applicable knowledge? Or maybe it's a part of healthy sexuality? Tell me everything, religious man. Everything you think to be true.
>>
>>36191745
I personally was never a full atheist. I've seen what the majority of those people are like and I had absolutely no intentions of being associated with them. Last I wanted to do was get to 300 lbs. while wearing a trilby, which is a shit tier hat regardless of who wears it and brings shame to legitimate fedoras. I was sort of a Catholic when I was a kid, nowadays I'm an agnostic but I've been getting some thoughts about looking into Catholicism again, though I don't think that would go through very well now and I'm not a huge fan of the current state of the church. Also, almost all of the most successful societies and people of all trades were on some level a theist/agnostic, and while there's nothing I personally condemn about atheism I can't stand a lot of the smug sense of superiority that a lot of atheists have just because they don't believe in a deity.
>>
>>36195723
>you cannot prove either side indefinitely as the 100% truth
I do not think you understand either 'prove' or 'true'.
>>
>>36191745
Grew out of it at 13, fucking hated being dragged to church and I resented the Lord himself in turn.
Got back into it last year, my life feels much calmer.
>>
File: 1491102073936.png (34KB, 830x662px) Image search: [Google]
1491102073936.png
34KB, 830x662px
>>36192760
(You)

Gdhkcdrgbkig
>>
atheism is the only rational conclusion after examining what we currently know and understand about the universe. literally no evidence or reason to believe in god. theists are retarded and the cancer of the world.
>>
>>36191745
I was in middle school when I started believing in atheism. I got out of it early junior year. Currently an Agnostic.
>>
>>36191745
Still don't believe in God. People who think they are superior are terrible. Hated Christians for a while because I had to deal with enough of them, especially family, who thought they were superior because they were Christian and atheists are all terrible. I don't insult religious people so long as they don't insult me for being atheist. I just get angry when people won't give me the same respect I try to give them.
>>
>>36198354
Agnostic atheist or agnostic theist, desu? I lean towards agnostic theism, and Jesus is a pretty fascinating figure, but I'm reluctant to attach myself to any church because I don't really believe that the Bible is literally true. I like Peterson's comment that it is 'meta-true', and there's obviously a lot of wisdom that people can glean, but there's also a lot of untenable stuff in there too. Still better than atheism tho.
>>
>>36198503
Agnostic atheist. I don't really believe in a higher power. I think society and chance affects everything in life. But there are people who can break the barrier as small groups of determined individuals. The bible is interesting and a really good read and I like religious people more than I like atheists even if we have more differences in theological thought but I just can't really get myself into believing it.
>>
>>36198354

>believing in atheism

"I started believing in not believing in a god."

You seem bright.
>>
>>36194865
>that observation should not affect your personal beliefs.
I think observing the world should most definitely shape our beliefs.
>I find it ridiculous that so many faggots on here let politics affect their religious beliefs.
We could nitpick here all day, but I believe it is much more than just politics.
>religion does keep society in order, people have better morals when there's a supernatural cause to believe in. but that doesn't make god's existence any more plausible.
Of course. Catholicism was, from the beginning, nothing but a means to control the populace but that does not make it true. The majority of contemporary religions today are nothing but a way to get rid of your spare change, and do nothing to help you. A building should not control you, it should come from within.
>>
>>36191745
Can someone convince me to believe in God or is it COMPLETELY faith based.
>>
>>36199827

You answered your own question. It IS completely faith based. There's no substantial argument for it. At best, you'll get some convoluted drivel which basically amounts to "we don't yet understand some things, therefore God".
>>
>>36191745
I tried religion 3 times as an adult. Too much holier than thou attitudes and hypocrisy. Also churches are enabling the homeless problem
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.