[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musician Feels

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 17

File: 1491408052096.png (430KB, 960x804px) Image search: [Google]
1491408052096.png
430KB, 960x804px
Hello there fellow robots, it's now time for your semi-demi-hemi weekly musician feels thread. In this thread, we discuss
>tfw no bandmates
>tfw no gigs
>tfw crappy instrument
>tfw no inspiration
and other uniquely musician related feels. I'll start.
>Be playing a bar
>Normally I just play covers of songs
>they're generally well received
>last time time try to sneak in one of my own compositions
>gets some scattered pity applause
>I almost bolted right then and there
Feel free to post whatever you've been working on as well.
>>
File: 1491408746882.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1491408746882.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
shameful self bump

present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.
>>
shut up, fucking normalfag.

why you are still here?
>>
File: 1490598316225.jpg (21KB, 234x236px) Image search: [Google]
1490598316225.jpg
21KB, 234x236px
>>36191804
there are plenty of people with jobs here
>>
File: 1476046626334.png (57KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
1476046626334.png
57KB, 600x434px
>>36191262
>always thought composition was a much cooler skill than technical ability
>spent the years learning about avant-garde harmony, counterpoint, pandiatonicism, etc. rather than playing scales at 400bpm every day
>can still play functionally, pretty well, but not incredible, more like a B/B+
>decide to audition for college jazz band to make connections with some of the other musicians there
>they don't care about composition
>they just want you to have amazing technical ability and be good at solos
>have to sight-read & play uptempo songs in the audition
>everyone else is a fucking technical prodigy
>mfwmfwmfw
>>
>>36191262
>piano
>most stupid non practical instrument in the world
>will never experience playing in the band
>not good for the jazz enough

It hurts me seeing friends playing mediocre on the quitar and living the rockstar life, playing in different places, meeting all these new bands and I am here playing by myself for myself fucking kill me
>>
>>36191999
>focused a shit ton on music theory
>tried to go to the Jazz band
Classical cares more about that shit than Jazz
>>
>>36192022
then learn to play the guitar, I did. It's not that hard fag.

Also for the thread, recently released my third album through a major label. Going pretty alright I guess. No gigs tho.
>>
I'm at college for music and I nearly want to fucking kill myself I hate theory
>>
>>36191999
I can't relate to that feel unfortunately anon. My lesson teacher as a kid was very big on technical skill. To this day I start out my practice sessions with 30 min of scales. Luckily for you, you already have all the theoretical knowledge you'll ever need. Don't give up, and I'm confident you'll make it eventually.
>>36192022
I started out on piano. I think it's the best instrument out there; there's a greater range of musicality available than on any other instrument. However, nothing should stop you from learning another instrument. You should try bass, since you already have a good knowledge of chord structure and music reading from piano.
>>
>>36192054
I see where you're coming from, but jazz uses the composition style and harmonies that I like much better, and the atmosphere of a jazz band is way more dynamic and fun than that of a classical ensemble.

technical ability in jazz is so important, partly because it's nearly all improvised. with classical, everything is written out for you; in jazz, you have to compose and perfectly execute a solo right in the moment. listen to people like art tatum or django reinhardt, it's insane.
>>
File: richard-wagner.jpg (40KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
richard-wagner.jpg
40KB, 580x326px
>>36192092
Link?
>>36192113
What part about it gives you trouble?
>>
>>36192140
I don't really want it known I browse here, you might imagine why I'd like to stay anonymous.
>>
File: le90skid.png (511KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
le90skid.png
511KB, 499x499px
H-h-hey, guys! Does anyone want to be in my Nirvana tribute band?
>>
>>36192114
i wish my teachers had instilled more discipline in me as a kid. i'm always ashamed to say the real number of years i took lessons, because even though i'm ""good"", i should be much better given the amount of time.

Is there still hope for me? it just feels so ridiculous practicing scales when i'm farcically bad at them.
>>
>>36192174
I suppose that makes sense. Could I ask what style of music you play? And how did you end up making it with a label? Am I doing it right?
>>
File: 1464237408214.jpg (9KB, 185x200px) Image search: [Google]
1464237408214.jpg
9KB, 185x200px
>>36191262
>Have all these ideas in my head on what kind of music/albums/songs I want to make
>Suck so much at guitar, can't do chord changes fast enough, can't play a barre, fail at basic beginner shit that 13 year olds can do

Where did it all go so wrong.
>>
>>36192226
barres are easy dude
use the side of your finger more than the bottom
and bring your index finger nail like beyond the width of the neck
>>
>>36192210
From the sound of it, you'd really like to be in a jazz band. And there's not a path around it; you have to know every single scale by heart. Jazz is all scales, but you know that already. Practice every day, and practice the right way (ie with a met, starting slowly then building speed, using proper fingerings) and you will see improvement very quickly. like, within a week,
>>
File: armind.gif (2MB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
armind.gif
2MB, 375x211px
>he wrote yet another mediocre 30-second loop that goes nowhere, and will never be developed into a full song
>>
>>36191999
Damn dude. I used to be like that but I started taking music a lot less "seriously" when I realized I would never become one of the greats anyway.
>>
Reminder: being a rhythm guitar in a pop punk band is super easy and fun
>>
>>36192221
Metal, so that might already disqualify me for some here. I honestly wasn't even looking to "make it with a label", I just really enjoyed making music and producing. At some point I made enough to cut a demo, released that through a small label. After that I kept making things and listening to other projects, which got me connected to other bands and eventually labels. It's all networking in the end.

You're probably doing fine, it depends on what you want. I wouldn't bank on being famous, you have work extremely hard and be extremely lucky for that. I'm willing to answer some questions if you have em tho.
>>
>>36192356
how do I make my breakdowns more brutal?
>>
>>36192381
step 1. immediately tune low E 5 half-steps down
step 2. chug mercilessly
step 3. ???
>>
>>36192381
Probably a b8 question there, but I do have an answer to this sort of thing. My best advice for anything music is to just copy what you like. Find the breakdowns you think are most brutal and find out what makes them work. Write a couple of extremely generic copies. That's how I learned to write things I like.
>>
>>36192296
You should check out Bill Wurtz on youtube. He started out like that, and he's one of my favorite artists. I try to style myself after him.
>>36192346
Unpopular truth. Even if I played in a pop band I wouldn't admit it here, you guys would shred me.
>>36192356
I don't really want to be famous. I'd just like to have a bit more security. Right now I make enough money to sustain a "comfortable" lifestyle (I live in a single studio apartment) but I'm afraid that someday my usual places won't call me back. Is the industry looking for a certain style of musician? Because I play/sing mostly folk stuff, and it seems like there isn't really a place for me.
>>
>>36192441
Man, like I said, I have albums out that sell reasonably well, but I work a job next to it. I actually have a career besides music that allows me to have the security not to worry about rent and shit.
>>
Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to advertise for an r9k musicians discord I just made. You don't even have to talk in it when you join. I'm just lonely. pls join ;_;
discord gg/jxNfBbu
>>
>>36192296
I have about three billion started projects. Some of the loops are actually pretty dope. But none shall ever be finished.
I finished like one track
>>
>really into electronic music composition
>start to get "good"
>listen to a 12 y/o on SoundCloud
>he's five times better than me
>listen to a professional track
>i BTFO myself

My stuff is really good as long as it's all I hear,
d-desu
>>
>>36192622
>start to get "good"
When you sound dope as fuck to yourself you've reached a good point but now you've got to start shameless copying what you love about other artists in order to reach the skill and level you'd like to be at.
>>
>>36192622
>>36192673
Err I mean shamelessly copying in the sense that you learn from them, not plagiarize them.
>>
every time i tried to study music i fail miserably, and thats the only thing that i would like to do.
now i'm waiting for my death i think.
>>
>>36192698
I kinda do that already
But I literally can't make the sounds they make. My own style of sound design is pretty cool, but.... y'know...
>>
>>36192783
just watch some tutorials on sound synthesis desu
>>
>>36191262
>Get into one of the nicest conservatories in my country
>Financial aid package they gave is good
>Still can't afford it
I fucking hate acedemia
>>
>>36192296
truth.

oregeno
>>
>>36192783
Isn't it all about what software you have?>>36192807
Mind telling us more? What do you play?
>>
>>36192875
I'm a vocalist actually
>>
do y'all like fl studio? I'm enjoying it for its simplicity yet versatility. it's not the greatest but it's a nice springboard.
>>
>>36192894
Wow, I'm unironically jealous. That's pretty much the one thing that can't be improved indefinitely without natural talent.
>>
>>36192931
Well thanks anon. What do you do?
>>
>>36192800
I DID FUCK OFF

SEAMLESSR CAN ONLY GET YOU SO FAR
>>
>>36192875
people like you trigger me! You don't just buy the software and automatically be proficient in it! That's like saying you just need to buy the best guitar and you'll be the best player that ever lived. Software does play a large part, but a much larger part I see played by proficiency and genius
>triggered because I thought it'd be like u said when I first got into it
>tfw it's not
>>
>>36193002
A bit of everything. Piano is my #1, but to keep myself in house and home I play guitar and sing.
>>
>>36192897
FL Studio actually is the greatest. The only things that make it not the greatest (recording capabilities, a few options) will probably be fixed in an update or two because they are petty basic.

Everything else about it is far superior in almost every way.
People just bought into the "muh protools" meme, protools honestly is subpar. Pop artists use it because they just pull up their presets and then use it's admittedly superior auto tuning stuff.

Other than that, ProTools is laughably bad. It doesn't even have VST support like wtf
>>
>>36193002
Are you classically trained, or do you sing more current stuff?
>>
>>36191262
>you will never be a good composer
>everything you could possibly want to express in music has been expressed 1,000 times over by 1,000 other composers 1,000 times better
>>
>>36193362
it's easy to fall into this sort of existential trap but at least there are moments where you can let yourself breathe as you realize even the simplest thing can be expressed in a seemingly endless variety of ways
>>
>>36193579
But all the ways I express something are shit
>>
>>36193666
They might be good, but just not how u expected/wanted them to turn out.

My strategy is to pretend someone else made it and listen to it.

I also listen to "professional songs" and listen, pretending I made it. I find much more flaws and enjoy the songs less.

It's the musician's curse, my brother
>>
>>36193666
:(
nothing is shit as long as it comes from the heart anon
even someone like daniel johnston is regarded as a deep and prolific artist when he was just a really lonely guy who hardly even knew how to play the instruments he had
>>
>>36192119
>the atmosphere of a jazz band is way more dynamic and fun than that of a classical ensemble.

Not necessarily

>jazz requires more technical ability than classical

You couldn't be more wrong
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1E2wfvhoI1U

shitty waltz
>>
>>36192140
Fucking jazz theory
I suck at math which is why it hurts my brain so much
I'm graduating in may though
>>
>>36191262
>Went to high school with a kid who floats between bands/was always starting up new flop bands
>Was a pretty well-liked guy and our town was small so "a lot of people" (him and his fucktard friends) would attend each other's shows
>Gets a sense of grandeur from this, decides to make an attempt at a music career
>This slowly degrades into him bullshitting about booking "major shit, man"
>The other day he lied, saying that while he was working at Starbucks, the owner/CEO of starbucks came in and he showed him his music. Then the guy supposedly said he'd give him a "Spotify deal" that would play his band in all the locations around the world
>He also lied about booking "that one big yearly show in Cali, that like hella people go to" and pretended to forget that it was called Coachella. He really lied about booking coachella.
>Shortly after, his band conveniently breaks up. They still have hundreds of t-shirts of a few different band logos that they made but never sold.

>His well-off dad has invested $50,000 in his various projects over the past 5 years and he hasn't booked anything resume worthy. Hasn't occurred to him that if he can't do anything with $50,000 of startup money then he's probably not a very good businessman

I feel bad for aspiring musicians who have to compete with people like this guy.
>>
>>36194262
Fuck that guy up and down holy shit what an asshole
>>
>>36194102
but its all simple because 8 octaves
>>36193780
yeah this guy is right the whole point of jazz is that you improvise and are less stringent than classical stuff thats why people like ahmad jamal call jazz american classical music cause its like a twist on the way music was played or whatever think like gerwshin or stravinsky etc
>>
>>36192174
Are you in code orange
>>
>>36194392
Not really
Modes are complicated as fuck senpai
>>
File: 1490753805051.jpg (23KB, 446x362px) Image search: [Google]
1490753805051.jpg
23KB, 446x362px
>self taught drummer/bassist
>my dream is to produce music
>know nothing about music theory
>too broke to get piano (for practice) and other music equipment to get me started in producing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1X2wg_hggA
>>
>>36194392
>>36195497
it really depends on your definition of technical. from a purely physical standpoint, classical is a lot more difficult. But jazz requires a much more advanced understanding of music and chord structure since you essentially write on the fly.
>>
join the r9klavierstucke discord and see the world

discord gg/jxNfBbu
>>
Pianist and choir conductor here.
I also study Timani; a recently founded school of instrumental technique based on anatomy and physiology.

>>36191999
>me ooga
>them booga
>SCREEE
>>
>>36195838
as someone who has done both classical and jazz gigs it's really not as cut and dry as that

improvisation requires a lot of theoretical groundwork but in practice it's almost never "writing on the fly", but putting into practice scales and rhythms you subconsciously have already got under your fingers. Once you see the chord changes you're really relying on your instinct and feeling in each key rather than strictly thinking about each note (especially at faster tempos). As for rythyms, pretty much everything boils down to semiquavers, groups of fives and groups of sevens so if you learn them you can't go wrong really.

You also have to consider the nature of each performance. In classical performance there is ZERO margin for error. Your mistakes will stick out horribly. In jazz solos, less so. People remember the highs rather than lows of the performance, and even ugly sounding notes can be resolved.

In short it's really pointless to try and claim one is harder or more complex than the other, they're two different skills.
>>
>>36193666
Every violinist sounds shit the first 1 000 times they pick up the violin
And the first 1 000 bars of music that you write will be barely mediocre
That's part of learning a craft that you must accept
>>
>>36196146
>ooga booga scree
what did he mean by this
>>
>>36195838
I'm so much more of a classical musician at this point
>>
>>36196182
I agree, I was just trying to put how I thought into words. It's apples and oranges.
>>36196446
masterrace
>>
>>36196516
Exactly
I also play guitar sometimes as well as sing. I'm going to throw up a cover on here in a second.
>>
here is my one shot cover
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0N6uaqRx9OL
>>
File: 1464904772805.gif (16KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1464904772805.gif
16KB, 645x773px
>>36191262
>that riff you created that you thought was amazing turns out to have been already written decades ago
Which one was it for you guys? Island in the Sun for me
>>
>tfw wish I could be in a prog/jam band and make really cool music and play the keyboard
>no friends to do it with
>>
>>36197365
I thought this was good. Your voice has a nice quality that most female singers don't. kinda amy winehouse-esque
>>
File: 1462045758744.jpg (42KB, 300x470px) Image search: [Google]
1462045758744.jpg
42KB, 300x470px
>>36197516
.jamming with friends
>have no concept of scales or music theory
>end up playing mash of notes that dont sound right at all
>>
>>36197582
thank you
yeah I've always had a lower voice so I always end up taking songs sang by females down an octave or transpose them into another key

tenor male parts are pretty good for me 90% of the time which is nice to give a female spin on. think decemberists-esque
>>
File: 1488594432540.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1488594432540.png
64KB, 658x901px
>nobody cares about your instrument except other people who play it
>entire community is just a circle jerk over mediocrity
>>
>>36197480
Of all the bands to have beaten you to the punch, at least it was a great one like weezer. It must be something about them, because I was working through something I was really excited about, then I realized it was too similar to the chorus from their "California Kids."
>>36197516
What kind of prog rock do you listen to? And you could always be like Chris Squire
>>
>>36191262
>pretty good singer
>don't know any instruments
>have a casio keyboard, wanna learn it
>can't be arsed to practice because every time I play I suck dick and get embarrassed even though no one's there
>>
>>36197639
https://www.musictheory.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lXRj0hjHcM

learn the circle of 5ths nigga
>>
File: 4076-24858.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
4076-24858.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>36191262
>tfw you go through an undergrad and graduate program for performance on an instrument that somehow "nobody plays" but has NO job openings for the next ~10 years
>>
>>36197639
It's never too late to learn fampai. But without scales, you won't get anywhere.
>>36197642
Unique voice qualities like yours are a nice break for most people. Is it anything more than a hobby?
>>36197648
What do you play? also, join our discord
discord gg/jxNfBbu
it's a circlejerk, but at least we're self aware
>>
>>36197711
>Its another "dude just learn this" episode
If I didnt understand it the first time then what makes you think that throwing this scribble will help this time? I dont understand the concept
>>
>>36197799
You've got to start somewhere. I'd recommend getting the first book in the "Just The Facts" series. It does a great job teaching theory starting very slowly.
>>
>>36197799
What part did you have difficulty with?
>>
>>36197756
I haven't really considered going pro for a sure thing because now of days it's really hard to be a musician unless you're fit and attractive and I'm only one of those. I have a music jewbook page with like 2.5k likes but I don't really consider that to be professional status.

should I?
>>
>>36197658
King Crimson is easily my favorite band, and I just like a lot of the older stuff, mainly Gentle Giant, Genesis, Yes, Caravan.
>>
>>36197922
You don't have to go pro if you don't want. Depending on where you live, look around and see if there are any hipstery coffee shops or bars that you could play at. That's what I do. Then if you want to go further, you can.
[Spoiler]or you could busk. it can be embarrassing, but it's good practice for bad crowds[/spoiler]
>>
>>36197987
tfw everything is super saturated here because everyone and their mom is a musician
>>
>>36197987
>inb4 you can't spoiler. typing is hard
>>
File: 1485054640637.gif (6KB, 756x142px) Image search: [Google]
1485054640637.gif
6KB, 756x142px
>>36197897
Basically when I look a at pic related I have no fucking clue what any of it means. When I play any 2 dots they still fucking suck
>>
>be in band
>play lots of shows
>start building up a small fanbase
>band starts demanding more time from me but its already hard with my 40 hour a work week job with a commute
>feel like im losing myself in order to stay with this band
>also artistic differences, they are going in ways they want but i want to go in ways i want
>quit last week

feels bad man, but i know the stars will align one day again soon :)
>>
>>36197982
Genesis is great. It's a meme, but even so: Phil Collins is a god.
>>
>>36198031
What the fuck kind of dilemma is this? Just quit. You almost have it made and you want to waste your life working? What the fuck
>>
>>36198086
by small fanbase i mean REALLY fucking small, we have like 600 followers on insta which aint shit, but we started from 0 so it definitely feels like an accomplishment.

also, i'd rather gamble and try again then spend a shit ton of time committing myself to something i don't feel invested in. if i want to lose myself, and dedicate everything and quit my job and shit for music i want it to be music i'm emphatic about. im not feeling emphatic about the music we were making and when i tried to bring up friendly and constructive criticism it went terribly wrong. so nah
>>
>>36198031
>>36198086
fucking this, what were you thinking dude. I'd kill for a chance like that,
>>
>>36191262
Hello guys. I am a piano composer. My biggest dream is to become the next Beethoven or Mozart. I know it's a pipe dream that sounds crazy but I secretly wish it could happen. I love Classical music and I admire the many great composers who wrote in that genre. I try to write music similar in style to the many composers who lived in those times. I am currently working on two pieces which I will publish as soon as I can figure out the copyright situation. I'm also writing a four movement piano sonata. I may write another string quartet in the near future.
>>
>>36198124
If people like your music then why quit on them? Why change your style on them? go back to your band NOW
>>
>>36191262
>tfw you play the banjo
>tfw everyone you know hates the banjo
I just want someone to enjoy playing music with but I have no friends.
>>
File: Komugi4.gif (979KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Komugi4.gif
979KB, 500x281px
>>36191262
a-any talented concert pianists willing to play me something beautiful on vocaroo?
>>
gonna bump the thread with another cover
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1VGBJ6HtCu6

keep it alive famalam
>>
>>36198979
no but I'll do a guitar/vocals or uke/vocals cover if you want it
>>
>tfw just started to learn guitar on an old beat up acoustic i borrowed from a friend
>won't stay in tune
>fingers hurt
>can't play an A chord without killing my index finger
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I JUST WANT TO BE A DIRTY HOBO PLAYING GUITAR
>>
>>36199258
play songs learn scales play one chord and then another really fast one after the other like those repetitive games where you have to mash the x button just do that with your chords
>>
>>36198378
>he makes music for other people
>he thinks a band can't replace one dude leaving

kek'd
>>
>>36191262
Just put my saxophone for sale after 3 months. Playing an instrument is not for me.
>>
>>36192022

>piano not practical
>not good for jazz

you're an absolute fucking retard and i hope you get crippling tendinitis and never touch an instrument ever again
>>
>>36199258
Do you know anybody at work/ school who could teach you?

Search Craigslist for a teacher maybe.. instructors are not cheap but are the best way when your starting
>>
I want to learn piano but ive got 0 musical knowledge. How long will it take me just to grab the basics? Im 21 so i know its going to be hard and ill probably end up as a mediocre pianist but i would really love to have something to teach to my hypothetical son
>>
>>36201218
piano is hard to pick up
it'll take a while to pick it up

you should try picking up ukulele if you want super easy
>>
>>36201251
I dont want to take the easy route. It sounds pretentious but i chose piano because for me to learn it i would need to be dedicated and disciplined. Both things of which im really lacking in my life
>>
File: image.jpg (156KB, 1278x718px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156KB, 1278x718px
>>36191262
How can you make other genres of music? I've only ever really made trap beats and a few ambient songs here & there.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.