[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: books that influenced you Whats the books hat changed

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Hyperion.jpg (551KB, 1500x1137px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion.jpg
551KB, 1500x1137px
ITT: books that influenced you

Whats the books hat changed your thinking or that you personally enjoyed anons?

>Hyperion and the fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
>>
File: dune-messiah.jpg (120KB, 608x1022px) Image search: [Google]
dune-messiah.jpg
120KB, 608x1022px
>>36186830
Cliche as fuck

but Dune and Dune Messiah changed the way i look at politics and people. it had a massive influence on my political outlook as well
>>
>>36186830
Hyperion was mind blowing anon. 11/10 would recommend. especially the stories of Hoyt/Dure and Sol
>>
>>36186830
I think the reason this thread failed is there are no intellectuals on /r9k/ only pseudo-intellectuals.
>>
Drizzt Do'urden books.
>>
Redwall series
Watership down
Anne rice vampires
Clan of the cave bear series
Short stories by ray Bradbury
BNW

Random non series books I don't remember.

But they are always fictional.
>>
The doctrine of awakening by Julius Evola
>>
>>36186830
another science fiction one: blindsight
>>
>>36186830
East of Eden. It's also my favorite book. It taught me that you get further in life by being able to do bad things and not living by a set code or set morals.
>>
the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series is probably at least partially responsible for how I've come to see the world and my place in it.
>>
The Power of How and A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle.
>>
Currently reading Walden by Thoreau

Still not finished and it already has influenced me in many ways, most of which I didn't expect before starting the book

Besides this, only religious books have had this much influence on me
>>
VALIS by Philip k dick

>>36188352
Walden also had a pretty big impact on me and led to my love of poetry.
>>
>>36186830

Any fiction or nonfiction books that would help me have a better view of life?
>>
Non-fiction especially:
- Antifragile
- Psychology (political science, cognitive biases, evolutionary psych)
- Evolutionary biology
>>
>>36188535
Bertrand Russell the conquest of happiness
>>
>>36188535
The prophet by Khalil Gibran
>>
This was a big one for me.

But also
Dubliners by James Joyce
Anything by Carver
TC Boyle's short stories

Bukowski put a fire in the belly of my 16 year old self, but his writing sucks more and more the older you get. It's 2edgy4me now. It shouldn't be what a teenager reads and says "Yeah this is the fuckin shit." But I did and it did give me a kick in the ass and sort of inspire my coming out of my shell. As a very impressionable young lad I really went all the way after reading that old fuck. Started coming to school drunk and late most days eventually. Started flirting and actually getting somewhere with women. I was fucking gross about it, but at that age all you really have to do is say SOMETHING, and I did.

The Sun Also Rises is what sort of evened me out, or at least I read it while I was evening out. It's so slow and beautiful. Sunny river banks in Spain with bottles of wine and a friend. Shit's soothing. The book's takes on masculinity really made me look at myself and think about what I saw as a man and whether that was me and I realized that I was acting like a boozy child. Highly recommend.
>>
File: tumblr_lvhrn3v8V31ql3h6t.png (319KB, 480x461px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lvhrn3v8V31ql3h6t.png
319KB, 480x461px
>>36187694
>read YA fiction book
>intellectual
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.