[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you don't even have the illusion of free will

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: The actor with the beard.jpg (6KB, 196x223px) Image search: [Google]
The actor with the beard.jpg
6KB, 196x223px
Literally everything I have ever done in life felt like the only reasonable course of action. I can't recall having been in even one situation where two exclusive options both seemed possible.
>>
Not believing in free will is like admitting to your low self esteem.

Stop feeling like you have no control over anything and maybe you won't be such a pathetic loser arguing about philosophy.
>>
>>36161393
>>36161496

not believing in free will is the sensible thing to do because free will isn't a thing..
>>
>>36161393
anjlakdouakljds;gipiahn;ksdnfdkldddadlfksjalksdnv;klbn oirajwtk;lng;kljafgi;akljdsfl;kjadsgk;ljadsf;klhgfdsklnv;lksjdfhoigsjkngsr;ldivhjzf;oivnfdklnckghdkjfsndghsfj;vkntuyoittouyuoeirsjkjd;gndfh;ijtdskbgxnoigjkmdnotibkmns;odfikbj sfd jfdsjbv;oifno'eja'fvobsidjnm
>>
>>36161496

I don't feel like I can choose whether or not to be philosophical.

The thought of becoming like you nauseates me too much.
>>
I had such a case this morning when I decided between toast and cereal

Maybe the dominoes of the universe fell so that I never had a choice, but there was no real logic behind my choice beyond a whim
>>
>>36161542

Sure. Random values don't really exist but you somehow generated some.

Sure, all circuits follow logical and predictable operations but for some reason the electrical signals in your brain are unique in the universe.
>>
>>36161525

You typed that based on a reaction to your free will being questioned.

Your reaction is no more random than any other reaction to a reaction. Like a newton's cradle.
>>
>>36161530
Have you ever tired living your life without the need to question everything that happens in front of you, or are you just autistic?
>>
OP here.

Although obviously people are going to talk about the greater concept of free will here, and that's fine, I started this thread mostly to try to talk to someone else who also does not even experience the ILLUSION of free will.

People say free will isn't real, and is an illusion. It doesn't even go that far with me. I do not feel like I have it, and never have.

I just do what seems like the best (or least worst) course of action, at the time, with what I have.

And that's basically it. I don't feel any "freedom" in it.

I don't believe free will even exists, but it seems from the way people talk about it like some people are experiencing some kind of illusion that I do not experience.
>>
>>36161739

>Have you ever tired living your life without the need to question everything that happens in front of you

Maybe you need to do a little more questioning. Read my OP and think about it. The answer to your question is in there.
>>
>>36161748
yes, i have tried to focus on the local agency because ultimately we are so pathetic and linear that our awareness and interactions does not have a wide enough scope to know the slope intercept or what have you. basically molinism without religion.
>>
>>36161393
Maybe you're living in a self fulfilling prophecy - you don't think you even have the illusion of free will, that you have no choice and because of that you subconsciously dismiss other routes/choices/etc because you've already resigned yourself to what you believe you're stuck with
>>
>>36161984

>you subconsciously dismiss other routes/choices/etc

Whether consciously or subconsciously, I don't see how everyone isn't doing that all the time whenever they make a "choice".

As far as I can tell, the only real act of choice IS dismissing other routes and choices. Otherwise you didn't even make a choice.
>>
File: 1466100356340.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1466100356340.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>36161505
>your choices influence your genetic expressions
>ultimately free choice is a thing
>god is laughing at you for being a fag
>>
>>36162092

>your choices influence your genetic expressions

The "choice" you make whose consequences end influencing your later genetic expression was itself influenced by your earlier genetic expression.
>>
File: 1465932446271.jpg (797KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1465932446271.jpg
797KB, 1080x1920px
>>36162138
>that's not you, that's just a sequence of information so long it's literally impossible to imagine, made up of select of information made up of your ancestors, selected in a manner as of yet unknown to science, totally unique to you
>but that's not you, you're just an illusion

sounds like you're cucking yourself with cerebral bullshit. why are you throwing yourself, the organism, a moral conundrum that no other organism ever had to face? pack that shit in and pick up the xylophone or something, you fucking nerd.
>>
>>36162306

The thought of not being a philosophical nerd makes me sick. I feel literal waves of nausea when I think about not thinking deeply about things.
>>
>>36162431
philosophy used wrongly can be a vice, same as anything else.
>>
>>36162501

I don't see how we could even evaluate the merit that statement without getting philosophical.
>>
>>36162052
sorry pal but whatever choice you were going to make was what you were always going to do based on the set of information available to you.
>>
>>36162566

I don't know why you're apologizing. That's exactly what I was getting at.

Whenever I'm faced with a choice between Option A and Option B, I evaluate their relative merits and "choose" the one that seems better, with the information and motivations I have at that time.

I am not sure whether A or B will end up being the one I pick until the moment of decision, but it doesn't seem like I'm in some world were both are somehow real possibilities.

In a sense, it feels like I'm in a process of "discovering" which one is the real possibility and which one's the mere epistemic possibility.

And looking back on the past, it never feels like I could have done otherwise. This applies both to the good and bad decisions I've made.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.