[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you call these?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

What do you call these?

Where I'm from we call them Freedom Fries but I guess most people just call them Fries and Europeans call them French Fries for some reason?
>>
>>36072169
Fries or chips

Britfag here
>>
File: 1491240937795.jpg (68KB, 540x513px) Image search: [Google]
1491240937795.jpg
68KB, 540x513px
>>36072169
No, me and my entire lineage calls them fried potatoes
>>
>>36072169
Here, we call them french fries/strips

Also, if you'd have done some research, it would have been clear that 'french fries' is a mangled version of 'fried fish'.
>>
CHIOPS
>>
Pommes
>>
we in germany call them pommes which is a french term for potatoes the full name is pommes frites which means fried potatoes
>>
"Kartoshka fri"
>>
Long dogs
>>
>>36072169
i call them chips but i'm a burger. i also follow premier league intimately, drive stick, and don't make eye contact with people on the streets. my teeth are awful
>>
>>36072406
Actually "pomme" means apple. Potato would be "pomme de terre" (which literally translates to earth apple or ground apple)
>>
>>36072404
fried apples?
>>
>>36072169
Patat

Fucking uncultured barbarians.
>>
>>36072169
frytki

let me post mr robot
>>
>>36072169
>Freedom Fries

Republicans are such fucking morons. They did this at my school cafeteria after 9/11. Was literally written on the menu.
>>
We call them potato scrapings
>>
>>36072751

You said it.
An elegant word for a more civilized age.
>>
>>36072169
Yeah no one calls those freedom fries anymore you dumb memer.

It was a thing at congressional cafeterias for a brief period in 2003.

>>36072902
It had nothing to do with 9/11. It was because France did not participate in or support the Iraq war.
>>
>>36072902

Because Americans are too dumb to know that "french" doesn't refer to country of origin, but to style of cut. "Frenching" is to cut into long, thin strips before cooking.
>>
>>36072169
french fries or just fries

i'm well aware that they did not actually originate in France
>>
>>36073103
Not really. Frenching refers to cuts of meat.

Julienning is what you're reffering to.

The French in French fries does come from the country of France even though the fries are from Belgium. It was just people making assumptions, like how even today most people think that "Chinese food" is stuff like general tao.
>>
>>36072169
Papitas Fritas
>>
>>36072169
Hranolky to be honest
>>
>>36072902
>>36073076
haha are you guys serious? where im from thats what everyone calls them I had a feeling it was less common to call them Freedom Fries elsewhere
>>
>>36073447
>where im from

Where exactly are you from?
>>
people in europe don't call the french fries.
>>
Papas
>>
Chips. Though technically they shouldn't look like that.
>>
>>36072169
The best English translation would be "French potatoes" or just "French".
>>
If you call your french fries Freedom Fries(tm), you are in a backwards shithole that thinks changing the name of a food is sticking it to a country that was smart enough to not be roped into a special interests war.
>>
FRITES
>>
>>36073279
Papas fritas dickwad
>>
>>36073774
hhmmm your story checks out. A few places here and there still do that apparently.

I didn't think it was still possible for people to still be shaking their fist in the air a decade and a half later and cursing France for not bombing Iraq with them, but it looks like the few places that still call them freedom fries either forgot why they were called that to being with or it's because of other reasons that has nothing to do with the Iraq war.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nobody-knows-why-we-still-call-them-freedom-fries
>>
>>36073832
I call them freedom fries out of a sense of sarcastic nostalgia for the early oughties.
Most people who do at this point in history are likely in the same boat.
You have autism, so this may be difficult to believe, but there just comes a time when something becomes "old" enough that it loses all original meaning and those of us who don't have autism use it as a fun joke.
>>
>>36074413
>eighties
>when this fucking retarded meme was 2001
I'm guessing you're some retarded kid who thinks he's being clever.
>>
The only good way to say it:
Friet
Patatfags should hang themselves
>>
Woah we also call them freedom fries

weird I thought my town was unique
>>
>>36072169
>Freedom Fries
I'm from the heartland of America and I've never heard anyone who wasn't forced to say that, actually say it.
I've only ever heard people say either 'fries' or 'french fries'.
>>
>>36072169
pomfrit or pecheni krompir or krompirichi
Serbian fag here, our letters aren't allowed
>>
"batata frita" in hueland
>>
>>36074554
> not Frietjes
Shame
>>
>>36072169
I'm American. Here, we call them French fries, or simply, fries.
We do have "fish and chips" here though, in certain restaurants.
>>
>rane
or
>ranu
>>
>>36073964
Fuck off, beaner. I call them papitas
>>
>>36073259
Are you saying general gao isn't chinese?
>>
In England, we call them chips.

We might even call the particular kind McDonald's chips - even if they aren't from McDonald's :^)
>>
File: 1457987296980.jpg (50KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
1457987296980.jpg
50KB, 876x493px
>>36075929
ew m8 calling them that is so fucking scuffed

pic related these are chips
>>
>>36076633
Those are crisps
>>
>>36074551
I wrote oughties.
I meant oughties.
"Ought" means none, so the first decade of a millennium are the oughties.
Don't be a nigger about this.
>>
>>36072169
belgian chips
>>
>>36076881
>Those are crisps
Bollocks
>>
>>36072169
>>36072187
I usually call those fries which is short for French fries and save chips for fat chips, like the ones you get from chippys or with steak and chips. Proper British chips.
>>
>>36075289
general tao was made by an american
>>
>>36078389
Wikipedia disagrees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Tso%27s_chicken
>>
>>36072169
Ops cock

Because it's small, skinny, white, and I like sticking them in my mouth
>>
>>36072169
In planet earth they're called fries.
>>
fried root sticks
>>
It does not matter what you call those, what matters is knowing the name of two superior side dishes.

>tater tots
>potato wedges
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.