[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey r9k, recently I have been trying to improve my linguistic

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1490383635320.jpg (46KB, 540x438px) Image search: [Google]
1490383635320.jpg
46KB, 540x438px
Hey r9k, recently I have been trying to improve my linguistic skill and overall get better at the english language but my low functioning retardation and 29iq is getting in the way. I need help using semi-colons and I don't really know when to use commas.
Thanks guys.
>>
>>36047487
>I need help using semi-colons and I don't really know when to use commas.

The usage of semicolons isn't thoroughly grounded, so they're regarded as very much optional. Few people bother to juggle them in everyday writing, so not understanding which situations might call for a semicolon won't necessarily hinder you.

In a nutshell: A semicolon's "official" function is to indicate sentences that are very related, but could also stand alone. For example:
>I went to the story today; it was incredibly crowded.
This is fine. But...

>I went to the store today. It was incredibly crowded.
... is also fine.
>>
>>36047633
Thanks dude; you're pretty cool.
:3
>>
>>36047487
>commas

The function of a comma is to separate clauses that may be linked by conjunctions, and to separate lists of items. Some examples:

A list of items
>I would like five bananas, four apples and three kiwis.
Note: You could also place a comma after "apples" if you feel so inclined.

Example conjunctions
>I just came from the store, but I forgot to purchase everything on my list.

Example conjunctions 2
>I'm finished with the laundry, so now I'm going to do the dishes.
Note: "so" is a conjunction here.
>>
File: Stephen-Hawking.jpg (42KB, 590x563px) Image search: [Google]
Stephen-Hawking.jpg
42KB, 590x563px
>>36047710
Again, thanks for your help.
You truly are a mastermind.
>>
>>36047655
>>36047791

Not a problem. You might want to try >>>/lit/ for further grammar advice, though. Even though it's a board for literature, it also seems to be the de facto board for grammar and philosophy.
>>
>>36047813
Awesome dude, ill give it a shot.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.