[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1294448659144.jpg (62KB, 550x555px) Image search: [Google]
1294448659144.jpg
62KB, 550x555px
How much can one be blamed for being depressed? Where can we draw the line between blaming a chemical imbalance in the brain and having an emotional problem?

My mom has been extremely depressed for the majority of my life - that is to say at least 20 years. My father has basically decided enough is enough and wants a divorce. My mother is an alcoholic mess. I'm completely at a loss as to what I can do. My mother believes it's strictly a chemical imbalance which is causing her depression. Not enough serotonin or something. My father, the working class, extremely hard working man that he is, doesn't buy it - or rather, is just tired of my mother laying bed missing work and getting trashed out of her mind.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do in this situation? Where did I go wrong? I feel fucking helpless.
>>
every malady is entirely the fault of the person experiencing it
you can not help them in any way shape or form they have to do it entirely of their own volition and power
cut your losses and sever your emotional bonds right away
>>
>>36032638
has your mom talked to a counselor?

that's step one
>>
File: 1490480791651.jpg (380KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490480791651.jpg
380KB, 1920x1080px
>>36032713
That's what I suggested. But she seems adamant to the idea that it's just a chemical imbalance in her brain. Something that cannot be helped through therapy.
>>
>>36032797
does she have scientific evidence or a medical opinion on it? If not, then get that. Maybe try antidepressants (or ketamine/shrooms I've read can work really well, but do your research).
You could also go through the motions of asking her if she wants to get better, and if not, why not. If she does want to get better, then keep searching for solutions. A depressed person may want to get better but be too depressed to seek help. She may also not understand her own psychology and not see the patters of thought that she has which could be helped by cognitive behavioral therapy.
>>
>>36033759
She's been on antidepressants for as long as i can remember. She's more or less lived with the depression until she lost her job about about a year back. My parents were making a decent living during that time and so I think that might've been why she was able to live with it better then. Now she's sunken into a level of depression that we've never seen, frankly. I kind of feel this is the problem, as the antis clearly aren't helping her, yet she insists it's a chemical problem. At this point is she overestimating that theory, or has she just been on the wrong meds?

I've asked her to go to therapy and my grandma is taking her to the doctor's tomorrow. I just don't know how much more I can do in this situation and I feel awful.
>>
>>36032638
Sorry, man. That's a really shitty situation. Don't shoulder this because it's not your fault either way. I don't really have an answer for you except bring her to therapy as others said.
>>
>>36033919
what does "it's a chemical problem" even mean to her? does she have any kind of reasoning to think that? if her meds aren't working then they're not working, so i'd say that's wrong. antidepressants aren't super consistent across all people. Depression has many different causes and it's hard to tell what the cause is until you've tried several solutions to see what works.

If she's just using "it's a chemical problem" as an excuse to not do anything to try to lift her depression, then the excuse making might just be the depression talking. Try to understand that she is still the same person somewhere inside as you might remember her in the past. You just have to explore all of your options.
>>
File: 1484885660769.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1484885660769.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>36034219
I really appreciate the help anon, thank you. If it's possible then I'll take her to therapy next. She's been on many types of SSRIs and various other types of antidepressants in the past, and I've failed to ever see a difference in any of them. I think taking her to therapy would be the next step to see if the purely "chemical imbalance" diagnosis is indeed true. Perhaps it's more of an emotional problem that can be fixed through some sort of behavioral therapy. She's been the most fickle, insecure person (likely as the result of a tough childhood) imaginable so to think it's just a neurochemical brain problem sounded fishy to begin with. I just don't even know if this'll be enough to salvage the marriage or even if it's worth salvaging at this point.

Lots to mull over and lots to deal with at this point. I hate it but I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks again.
>>
>>36034442
happy i could help anon, I hope things work out well one way or another. Depression is pretty shitty for everyone involved.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.