[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you a product of the 90s public school system where they

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

Are you a product of the 90s public school system where they said you were smart even though you were as dumb as a box of rocks? How did you turn out? How long did it take you to realize that you were either stupid or average at best?

Me? I genuinely thought I was of above average intelligence until like my 25th birthday.
>>
>>36009569
Yes and they still do, apparently knowing lot of trivial shit makes you smart these days, go figure.
>>
>>36009569
No and I doubt the public school system has that much influence over most people
Your self-esteem has everything to do with life experiences and the way you're treated by family and peers, the teacher saying something nice every once in a while
Though I don't know where this "Everyone's a winner" boogeyman even came from, I went to elementary/middle/high school in Tennessee and the teachers were more hands-off and distant than mindlessly supportive
>>
File: 1462327077047.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462327077047.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
>>36009569
Non verbal learning disability here.

I would say that it ruined my life, but then I realize that because I'm an idiot I wouldn't have gone anywhere anyways.

It just made it more painful when i finally crashed. I fucking hate people who tell these white lies.
>>
>>36009569
It's hard to say honestly, I got shitty to average grades in most subjects but sometimes I would do really well in a certain class if only because it interested and the teacher would act as if I was some kind of genius. Idk my whole experience with the k-12 education system was bizarre, I remember being in the first grade among the learning disabled, then in second grade I was in a regular class but a slow reader and would be pulled to the back for additional instruction. 3rd grade comes around and boom I all of a sudden score 99th percentile on some standardized test in math and reading causing me to be placed in the top "academy" classes in fourth and fifth grade where I struggled among the probably bottom five worst students of the class. Also I remember being pulled into therapy sessions by the school counselor/psychologist, this is in an underfunded public school in Queens nyc in the mid 90s, the therapy sessions took place in basically an old utility closet. I don't remember much but I remember her telling me not to share it with my parents.

Overall I'm definitely a weirdo chucklefuck, it took me until my mid 20s to realize people talk down to me and treat me like a child and condescend to me all the time, I went through a period of going to bars alone to get drunk and try to talk to people and make friends and it ended disastrously.
>>
File: 1489470236867.gif (28KB, 596x558px) Image search: [Google]
1489470236867.gif
28KB, 596x558px
>>36010158
>struggled among the probably bottom five worst students of the class. Also I remember being pulled into therapy sessions by the school counselor/psychologist, this is in an underfunded public school in Queens nyc in the mid 90s, the therapy sessions took place in basically an old utility closet. I don't remember much but I remember her telling me not to share it with my parents.
>>
I was always causing trouble in class. I don't think teachers liked me they always sent me to the office or told me to stand in the hall
>>
>>36009569
stop anon im a special snowflake
>>
>be homeschooled
>get to college
>do drugs
>flunk out
>come back
>get academic awards
>my essay is used as a model for objective research
>regulary acknowledged for good work
>start doing classical performances
>perform classical pieces live by memory
>teach myself computer coding
>start a web design service

Growing up, people always told me I was stupid because I was homeschooled. I never really believed them, but now I'm pretty sure I'm not stupid. Most of that stuff takes a decent level of intelligence right?
>>
>>36011573
You seem pretty well anon, contrary to the stereotype supposedly home schooled regularly BTFO kids who go through the school system.
>>
>>36009569
>failed almost all of my classes
>dropped out junior year
>devote most of my time to independent study

Relying on someone to spoonfeed you basic shit isn't how people become educated. The American educational institutions are antiquated and degenerate. We live in the age of information and so few take legitimate advantage of it.
>>
>>36009569

I'm 28 and people are still telling me I'm the most intelligent person they know, it's my biggest pet peeve.
I work at a coffee shop and I've never done a single intelligent thing in my life. If you took my life history and just looked at the facts you would conclude that I was semi-retarded.
>>
>90s public school system
same with 00s, I can assure you
>>
I always had a vast knowledge on useless subjects because i spent so much time alone, but my grades were poor and i struggled with math. I dont think any true intelligent person could find themselves in our situation. This is nature telling us to die off.
>>
>>36009785
>went to school in Tennessee
well maybe Tennessee is more down to earth, but I can say where I live (California), what OP is describing is very real.
>>
File: home-school.png (503KB, 764x969px) Image search: [Google]
home-school.png
503KB, 764x969px
>>36011573
>>36011573
>>36011787
home schooled kids in general are actually the true master race
>>
I was homeschooled until high school. High school was easy, I was by far the best student in my class. That was probably because I didn't hate being there yet, unlike literally everyone else. Once burnout finally caught up with me in college, wew boy.
>>
>>36011945
I see. That's interesting.
Here in Tennessee, the closest we ever came to what OP describes was the "you can be whatever you want to be" spiel in kindergarten (which is pretty harmless, and something that kids realize isn't so cut and dry long before they enter the work force). Otherwise, teachers were pretty... well, normal. They praised you if you did something well, and ignored you if you just sat in the corner of the room like me and never spoke.
What was your experience like?
>>
>>36009569
I found work I had done in high school. Never was it more apparent just how retarded I was ( probably still am ) and how far the school system has fallen
>>
>>36009569

Took me until I entered my early teens. Was playing some Warcraft 3, bragging about how smart I was and my opponents tore me down mentally both in-game and out. They basically just destroyed my self-image nonstop for two hours straight. It was the most beautiful and humbling thing to ever happen in my life.
>>
>>36009569
Turns out, I am smart.
I just stopped listening to whiny cunts and actually decided to learn instead of make excuses.
>>
>>36011975
well from firsthand experience with other homeschooled kids I don't think the stereotypical depiction is too far off. It can be good but usually isn't.
The problem is that parents, especially those with some graduate education, think far too highly of their ability as educators, proceed to fuck up, and never ask for help or try an approach other than the one they schemed about before the kid was born.
Then there's the religious nuts. The year is not 1500, and a selection of bible verses is not an education. Kids who go through that emerge hopelessly ignorant of literary classics and the most basic mathematical and scientific thinking.
Still anecdotal of course, but the only homeschooled kids I know who turned into reasonably functional adults are myself and 2 other guys, we all had very hands off programs where the parents provided the resources to learn things and allowed us to choose the direction ourselves. Being able to genuinely choose what's interesting and teach yourself shit in depth is something that seems lacking in the public school crowd, so I'm glad I got that.
>>
>>36011975
>>36012141

t.homeschooled virgin

My parents were religious nuts but I also had to do actual school work, math, reading all that sort of stuff. The curriculum was shit but it worked in terms of learning the basics and allowing me to read/fill in the gaps myself

Did last 2 years of school public after a brief stint in online school and quickly discovered vast majority of public school kids are dumb as shit in comparison to me, at least where it came to reading comprehension/spelling/general writing/english and anything to do with history

But I think I was just an autist who spent a lot of time reading and enjoyed history so I'm probably not even that smart

I was pretty shit at maths/science mostly because I never put any effort in but I was still shit at it
>>
>>36011897
THIS
I work at a coffee shop too 26, Coworkers/customers always tell me I'm smart but in reality they are just dumb as shit. I might have some quick wit and good jokes here and there but I practically flunked out of high school, my memory is absolute fucking shit, borderline adhd, and I'm 26 working in a coffee shop with no future prospects. Why would anybody praise me for my average/below average intelligence?
>>
File: 1426788635477.png (158KB, 1000x963px) Image search: [Google]
1426788635477.png
158KB, 1000x963px
>>36012244
Will you wagecucks EVER learn?
>>
>>36012206
>at least where it came to reading comprehension/spelling/general writing/english and anything to do with history
That was the big one for me too. I liked science and thought I was shit at English/reading literature. Then I went to the public high school, and while I was still on par with the otherwise all-asian STEM whiz kids, it was anything to do with writing and those standardized tests for reading comprehension that made me feel like everyone else must be complete dumbasses.

That's a universal homeschool superpower I guess: we don't hate reading books!
>>
File: blooms taxonomy.png (13KB, 591x402px) Image search: [Google]
blooms taxonomy.png
13KB, 591x402px
>>36009611
This frustrates me so much. Why does everyone think memorizing trivia is the same thing as being smart?
The capacity to do stuff with information is what makes you smart.
>>
File: 1478898004895.gif (8KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1478898004895.gif
8KB, 645x773px
>>36012347
>can't even remember most things unless a unique action occurs at the same time
>can't memorize names and formulas by reading them or hearing them

School is suffering. I can't learn like this.
My genetics set me up for failure.
>>
File: 1488148167869.png (80KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1488148167869.png
80KB, 560x407px
>tfw took GRE
>tfw scpred 99th percentile on the writing portion, 83rd percentile on the verbal portion, 75th percentile on the math portion
>spent the last five years wasting away as a NEET in my mother's basement because of schizophrenia
bring back euthanasia plz
>>
>>36009569
i got told i was stupid since grade 3 lol
>>
File: 486545674531.gif (110KB, 416x234px) Image search: [Google]
486545674531.gif
110KB, 416x234px
>>36012471
>tfw scored 99th percentile on every standardized test I've ever taken but still ended up a NEET piece of shit
where did it all go wrong?
>>
File: 1489719126070.jpg (33KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
1489719126070.jpg
33KB, 400x343px
>>36012612
We are the spiritual aristocracy of the digital age and the internet is our monastery.
>>
>>36009569
They made me believe i was some sort of retard because it would make others feel bad about their grade if i had 80 without effort.
>>
>>36009569
I wish I wasn't told I was doing well in school because I was smart, but because I was trying really hard and taking it seriously. It would have saved me a lot of time figuring out im actually average and need to work hard.
>>
>>36009569
I always felt I was more intelligent and it was proven when an IQ project started at all schools and after I took the test(was 7th grade back then), I've been told my IQ equals to the average 12th graders' IQ.

9 years later I feel like I understand the universe on a deeper level, i.e looking at everything through chaos theory etc
>>
File: 99999999999990.jpg (37KB, 910x553px) Image search: [Google]
99999999999990.jpg
37KB, 910x553px
>>36012787
>>36012612
>>36012471

>near perfect scores on statewide / federal standardized testing
>drop out of high school after becoming homeless because of abusive parents
>spend life wasting away with schizophrenia
>now hopeless neet
>>
>you're so smart!
>why wont you apply yourself?

>just try!

been hearing this my whole damn life. being overwhelmingly intelligent means nothing when you have no work ethic
>>
>tfw had an IQ of 120 in the 8th grade

>didnt end up graduating, now NEET
>>
I had the opposite experience. I always did poorly in school and am severely under-educated as a result. I also lack the money to change that, so this condition seems as though it will be permanent.
>>
I was raised in 90's america.
>Was bad at math.
>got put in IEP program.
>Had to leave class to go with not quite retarded kids.
>Knew I accelerated in reading and writing.

I knew very fast I'm academically inferior. It haunts me till this very day.
>>
>>36014925
>I knew very fast I'm academically inferior. It haunts me till this very day.
I know this feeling. I have an obsession with one day attending a prestigious university just so I can prove otherwise. That's really all I want out of life at this point.
>>
>>36014601
I love you, anon.

You make me feel less alone in my own incompetence and misery.
>>
slavic school system master race

getting told that you're stupid 24/7 by sociopath failure teachers
>>
>>36014985
I love you too anon. We can only strive to do our best every day. I believe in you.
>>
>>36009611
Because I knew a ton of trivia and was "creative", my school deemed me as "gifted" even though I can barely do math. Much like myself, it's fucking retarded, and I didn't realise I have no actual skills until about a month ago (18 turning 19 in the summer, I'm still in high school because I failed 5 classes due to being a retard who was treated like a genius)
>>
>>36014957
I hope you reach that goal, I want to study in Psychology at some point in the distant future and I know it can seem distant but I think you'll get there somehow.
>>
>be school teacher
>give assignments
>grade based on how I feel the student will do in life from their behavior alone.
>give kids whose parents email me too much an automatic A.

BAHAHAHAHAH Thanks for confirming how much of a shitter these kids will become.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHAAHAHHAHAHGAHAQHAAH
>>
>>36011868
someone was spoon feeding you and you failed anyway

now you call educational institutions antiquated because you were too stupid to hack it

sad!
>>
>>36015065
I hope so. Right now I've reached a point where I;m so miserable that I can't imagine a decent future, so I've started pretending anything after the next two weeks doesn't and will never exist. I hope I can get out of this rut soon.
>>
>>36015082
>>36015107
And again, the fringes of positivity in a /r9k/ thread are washed away thanks to toxic roleplayers.
>>
>>36009569
I think I'm above average at least. Find myself doing very well at things I am interested in and bother putting in the effort, but for most things I just scrape through just enough to avoid any repercussions.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.