[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nostalgia Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 15

File: early 2000s.jpg (82KB, 640x472px) Image search: [Google]
early 2000s.jpg
82KB, 640x472px
What are you nostalgic about /r9k/?

For me it's the early to mid 2000s, before smartphones and social media fucked everything up.

I wish I could go back to that time and enjoy it again.
>>
>>35987316
My whole life up until 2015. The nostalgic gets worse the further I think back though.
>>
>>35987316
having a full cod 1 server
sigh.
>>
I really miss early 2000s flip phones and wish they were still popular (I think they were in Japan until the start of the 2010s, so that's kinda cool). I'm sick of every phone looking the same with their obnoxious giant touchscreens and unnecessary normie apps. I wish I still had my Razr
>>
>>35987316
2005s runescape
cs 1.6 in the school computer room
>>
Anything prior to 2007
>>
File: 1491158120700.jpg (146KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1491158120700.jpg
146KB, 500x375px
>4th grade
>tfw i was desperate everyday to come home and fish lobbies in karamja because that was my only source of social interaction
>>
>>35987316
WC3 custom games (not fucking dota I mean the actually fun shit)
The first few years of Starcraft 2
>>
>>35987316
I miss the days when you had to be actually smart to even use a computer much less get on the internet. The days of point and click adventure games and dial up modems. The days before any idiot with a phone could just spout whatever bullshit came to their mind. The days when there were zero comments on anything.
>>
>>35987316
I'm definitely nostalgic for oldschool PC gaming.
>>
Freshman high school.

Mainly because I want to go back in time and tell my younger self to forget about arts and focus on banking instead.

That's it. I don't really give a shit about my childhood or whatever. It was terrible
>>
Why does it feel like everything has been getting worse since around 2007 or so? I blame a lack of good video games, the stock market crash, the rise of Facebook/Twitter and modern SJW culture and eight years of Obama
>>
Pretty much any time before I developed anxieties. So before I was 8 years old. I wish I was home schooled and got a job at 16. The education environment was fucking toxic for my well being.
>>
>>35987316
Going to sound edgy and not robot but to be honest, fighting.
I miss fighting, I miss the adrenaline rush that came with it. I miss the feeling.
I miss walking home with the few friends I had, arms around each others shoulders, recalling the fight.
I know they only kept me as their 'friend' because I was a big guy who could take lots of hits, but those moments?
They felt special. It felt like I was in a movie, like this was a book. It was unreal. It was a fantasy.
But it wasn't, it was real. I remember stashing weapons in the back garden. I have some of them next to me.
It was before I had a good PC, before I became fully withdrawn, before I gave up on trying to feel alive.
It was before I couldn't leave the house, before I had no friends, before my life began to spiral out of control.
It was when I was happy.
>>
>>35987316
I wish i was back when youtube was just beginning to get popular and the internet wasn't a 24/7 thing. Like back in 2008 i'd always play on my wii and browse youtube hoping for info on smash bros but instead get rickrolled, jumpscared, or memed. Looking back on it, it truly was great. The Wild West, as i call it now.
>>
>>35987550
things have been getting worse for a lot longer than that, 2008 was a brief acceleration of shit due to corporate mergers and such but the trend stayed the same
what do any of us know though, we just become comfortable with the world as it is at a certain point in time. we usually never quite come to terms with anything that happens afterwards. that's what sets are perceptions of cultural and economic decline in motion.
>>
>>35987615
holy shit remember those days where watching a youtube video was always a risk of a jump scare fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i want to go back.
>>
ah im just in time for another 2000s nostalgia thread i the last time hit post limit while i was taking a nap.
>>
File: 1491188063340.jpg (132KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491188063340.jpg
132KB, 500x500px
Everything before 2010
>>
>>35987615
I for one do not miss the overused memes of early youtube. At least now the 12 year olds self segregate to reddit tier channels and "drama". Haven't been able to replace my favorite channels from that era though.
>>
>>35987316
I think most of us here are only nostalgic for the early 2000s because i assume all of you were born sometime in the early/mid 90s so we were kids at the time. 5 years from now you'll have robots reminiscing about 2013.
>>
Downloading text files about hacking on Usenet. Even if the most "hacking" I could do was editing ROMs and build GeoCities homepages. The idea that one smart teen like Kevin Mitnick could defeat multinationals and the government, to me, that's the promise of the Internet.

Also I would randomly get .txt about sex, so that was pretty exciting too.
>>
File: 21.png (594KB, 576x431px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
594KB, 576x431px
>>35987316
well it's hipster foreigner opinion so most anon's probably not feel it.

i spend whole my childhood in front of computer. mostly i played a shitty flash game and watching flash movies on newgrounds,listening trance music from dutchland, reading book related animals(yeah not read a text almost)

but most missing thing is game in this picture
this game was spin off version of famous game. it's pretty gayass graphic nowday's point
but this shit was too intensive and extremly fun at that moment
i played with all of my friends,cousin etc.
in 2003 and play it all day
and this game closed service at 2004 because this game was hipster shit.

pretty shitty nerdy childhood but nostalgia is nostalgia
https://youtu.be/37IbGnxwvzM
>>
File: ps1.jpg (26KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ps1.jpg
26KB, 1280x720px
>>35987316

I didn't get into PC gaming until I was older.

The PS1 is very nostalgic to me. The sound of the system into will make me cum.
>>
>>35987694
you know there was a thread about this very topic earlier today if you read that you would get it better

but yeah i was born in 1990 maybe im just being dumb lol
>>
I made an r9k Nostalgia Discord so we can chat it up whenever.

There were a lot of good nostalgia threads today. Many feels.

https://discord.gg/3Uqqs
>>
2011-2012 but mostly 12, best years of my life, even though they arent even average on a normie/chad life they were the best for me.
>>
>>35987316
>What are you nostalgic about /r9k/?
When I was happy instead of always worrying about life, being an adult, money, dying alone, and growing old.
>>
File: 101.jpg (24KB, 350x267px) Image search: [Google]
101.jpg
24KB, 350x267px
>>35987782

>Wondering if you will ever accomplish anything
>>
>pokemon gen 1,2,3 on gameboy
>age of empires 2
>2005 runescape with your classmates, talking about it everyday on school
>when staying up late meant midnight
>>
>>35987316
>the 90's in general
>early 2000's video games
>even some games that released from 2006-2012

For 90's its everything from gaming, tv shows, the trends of the day and so on. Especially Pokemon when it comes to gaming.

For early 2000's I am probably most nostalgic for Halo. I didn't get live until 2006 I think so I missed out on most of Halo 2's great online but I did love Halo CE and 2's campaigns a lot. FFX and GTA games also stand out as nostalgic for me for these years.

For my last point, CoD games, Halo 3, Gears of War are how I mostly gamed online so I am nostalgic for that. Souls games (mostly just Demon's and Dark) are also probably my most fond nostalgia for the later years.

I feel like my life and life in general went to shit after a certain year. I would have loved to have played certain other things back in their prime like Starcraft or Doom on pc for example. If it weren't for vidya I would have probably an hero long ago desu senpaitachi.
>>
>>35987782
Right in the feels, but so true. People always talk about kids as if they're greedy, ungreatfull, etc. and that may happen from parenting, but at the core, kids are just existing. Living day by day.
>>
I don't hate modern technology, I just hate the culture it has created. Basically it proved my misanthropic feelings that humans have to fucking ruin everything.

And nothing has made me more misanthropic than the mass media and social media cultures of CNN and Instagram, Snapchat, Vine.
>>
>>35987814
The last game I remember truly loving is Halo 3. I would stay up all night playing Team SWAT with three other friends over the summer.

They all found cooler friends a few years after that and haven't spoken to me in years, meanwhile I feel like I haven't matured mentally since I was 16 or so and just want to go back. Needless to say, I'm still a kissless virgin
>>
>sitting in the back of the car playing my gameboy color when we were going on a holiday

Man I miss those 1000km trips to Austria
>>
File: 100.jpg (8KB, 244x206px) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
8KB, 244x206px
>>35987894

I try to tell my self there is some good things out of this tech so I don't fall into total nihilism but, for the most part I agree.
>>
>>35987550

The first commercially successful smart phone was released in 2007.
>>
>>35987954

Was it? I could see that. Thats when our need for constant entertainment and distractions in our hands
>>
>>35987954
Shit, I think you nailed. The rise of smartphones and the constant social media culture it created is the root cause of the social decay of the late 2000s/2010s
>>
File: cplwinter2001.jpg (52KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
cplwinter2001.jpg
52KB, 560x420px
Who else had a 50 lb CRT?
>>
>>35987904
I know most of your feels man. Some of my friends were actually late bloomers and didn't really get gf's or sex until after high school. The thing though is that they eventually found paths in life and even gf's/sex where as I haven't.

I also seriously miss the days Halo 3 was popular for a few years. I actually wish I played even more of it looking back even though I still got plenty of play out of it. I would easily put more hours into Halo 3 then other games if I could go back. I swear shooters and games in general started to go to such shit the more popular CoD kept getting. MW2 imo is where shit really started hitting the fan with this damn industry for the worse.

These days I barely play games and I am even feeling schitzo now. I feel like I am living in a bizarre matrix that isn't anything like the movie. It is a bizarre normie matrix for normies by normies and I'm going to keep suffering until I give in to the normie hivemind borg way of life like all normies have.
>>
>The glorious experience of leveling your first character 1-60 in WoW.

Nothing can compare to the Vanilla/BC era WoW.
>>
File: 1351246680584.png (201KB, 721x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1351246680584.png
201KB, 721x1000px
>When RuneScape moved into RS2 but kept RuneScape Classic items and stats
Good
>When RuneScape moved into RS3, was forced into hosting RS2 servers with items/stats wiped
Awesome. Great idea, guys.

I've taken to replaying the Silent Hills games for nostalgia. I have some old Tekken and Guilty Gear I mess around with, too.
>>
>>35988092

I just pulled out my PS1 the other day and planned on playing Tekken 3 and MGS
>>
>>35987973
>>35987975
It's true. Plus Twitter started to get popular not long after and we see the daily shit thrown around daily on that nowadays.
>>
>2005
>17 years old
>Friends bring their computers and/or xboxs over to my place every friday
>I was the only one with high speed internet, 5mbps DSL
>Play CS:S, Halo 1 and 2, WoW, Brood War, WC3, whatever
>Drive to the pizza place, 40 minutes away
>Order a ton of pizza
>Go to WalMart, buy tons of snacks and soda
>Spend the entire weekend playing video games
>Sometimes we could get someone to buy us booze

I'm nostalgic about early/mid 2000s LAN parties.
>>
File: 1357771349623.jpg (486KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1357771349623.jpg
486KB, 1800x1200px
>>35988114
Tekken 3 was pretty good. I had a friend who usually played Ganryu and I was typically Yoshimitsu.

Off-topic, if anyone still plays MMOs or D&D have you noticed how everyone's trying to min-max everything and win all the time? Fewer and fewer people are going online to kill time and make friends. Or at least that's my perspective.
>>
>>35988198
Yes

That's how it is in Runescape now

Maybe I'm biased but nobody talks everyone just grinds xp
>>
>>35988174
Damn anon that sounds nice and comfy as fuck.

How long were y'all friends? I take it you guys aren't in contact anymore?
>>
>>35988174

Same exact experience and timeframe for me, except we played 1.6, WoW, and a bunch of random Half life mods(Sven coop was fun as hell)
>>
>>35987954
Blackberries existed before then, though. I think it was the proliferation of social media and Web 3.0 that ruined everything. I guess the general rise of smart phone adaptation played a part too, but Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, reddit, etc all played a huge role in the decline in society.
>>
>>35988225
I moved to this town when I was probably 10, befriended them fairly quickly, We were fairly close friends through school, decent friends for a year or so after high school, and then we lost all contact. I haven't talked to any of them in over 10 years.
>>
>>35988198

There are some good WoW private servers for vanilla with active and healthy communities. I'm only at lvl 41 right now so i havent gotten to endgame yet, but everyone I've grouped with while leveling has been extremely chill and I've already made a couple friends. Also, they seem to be a lot more competent than the average player was in retail.
>>
>>35988263

Blackberries did exist, but web browsing on them was tedious. The Iphone's touch screen concept pretty much revolutionized the smart phone market overnight.
>>
>>35987316
Who could be nostalgic for that time? Games had shitty graphics. every movie was a remake or pirate shit. Rap music was everywhere. Slow internet. Outside of obesity and maybe easier to get laid nothing good about the era
>>
File: sd.webm (1MB, 612x497px) Image search: [Google]
sd.webm
1MB, 612x497px
>>35987710
also
oreganoooo
>>
>>35987615
>>35987644
>>35987684
>kids this young think hey have the right to post
>>
>>35987988
everyone not a kid currently?
>>
>>35988174
this is the only post here that made me feel the second hand nostalgia. very nice.

except that last line, but nothing's perfect.
>>
>>35988659
We only managed to get booze maybe two times in 2 or 3 years. Getting drunk twice in 100+ LANs isn't too degenerate.
>>
>>35988739
No, it's completely fine, it just ruins the comfy for me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNoHtrSyBQ
>>
>>35988174
Kids still do these, nothing to be nostalgic about
>>
>>35987574
This was really saddening to read, anon. I hope one day you will fight again.
>>
File: 1487988788130.jpg (75KB, 1013x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1487988788130.jpg
75KB, 1013x1072px
>>35987316
>What are you nostalgic about /r9k/?
Hope.
>>
>>35987811
Play age of empires with me plz
>>
Being 18 and playing 50 hours of COD4 a week.
>>
>Early 2000s kids are now 20-23/24

How fucked are they?

Also you're a "[Decade]'s kid" based not necessarily on when you were born, but when you were 6-10 years old really.
>>
>>35987316
Bionicle by far
>>
>>35987316
play cs 1.6 lan games after school with a few good freinds
>>
>>35989944
that really seemed as far as it could go at that point, makuta being the final boss and all, I can't belive the sheer amount of lore they made up later
>>
>>35989925
20y/o faggot here
I'd say pretty fucked but then again I'm on /r9k/, so depends on what your definition of fucked, I actually might have a chance.
>>
>>35987316
>TFW
>Now I just want Vodka
>>
>>35990099
Forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1xKiYoJZM
>>
bumponsdsdgsgbsd
>>
>>35989920
I literally have 30+ days on every CoD from CoD4 to Bo2. The most being 52 on MW2.
>>
smoking weed with my friends in the garage :(
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.