[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Liberal Arts degrees

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 19

>he has three degrees
>why is he delivering your lunch?

Don't study liberal arts, kiddos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAgTjsxJ8NE
>>
He looks so androgynous. Asian men really are hopeless.
>>
>>35928921
If you do you should at least get one that involves art lol.

You know writing or music or film editing or something.

Sombody has to make the movies, books, and music for the people who didn't follow their dreams.
>>
File: 1483760791525.jpg (378KB, 3240x3210px) Image search: [Google]
1483760791525.jpg
378KB, 3240x3210px
>>35928921
Why is he talking about it like it's something derogatory?
>>
What the fuck is gender study?
>>
>>35928921
I have 2 STEM degrees and I'm unemployed. Higher education in general is a fucking joke these days.
>>
>>35929064
Studying gender roles in different cultures and across time. For example, in shakespeares plays there are a ton of times where chicks dress as dudes and vice versa. In china the generals were often eunichs. When chicks entered industry during wwii. Shit of that nature. You know, common knowledge.

But then with a libera agenda spin where they start implying that one way or another is wrong or right by forcing people to read feminist texts like the 60s one about the male gaze.

I took a race and gender in american conema class because I'm a film major and it was retarded. I got a 97% though
>>
>>35929139
This
degrees as a whole are a fucking joke, there's not enough jobs to go around
>>
>>35928952
>follow your dreams

what dream isn't ultimately in the service of your fellows
these artists and engineers, doctors and landlords, mayors and farmers - which of them isn't a whore in the end
what person could ever claim to be wholly uncucked
>>
>>35929205
Come on, being a writer is a dream. Being a cubicle monkey at intel is a career choice specifically sacrificing happiness for money and stability.
>>
File: blessed.png (60KB, 904x692px) Image search: [Google]
blessed.png
60KB, 904x692px
>tfw comfy work at home office job with significantly higher pay than the national average despite my shit tier lib arts degree and sub-3.0 GPA
>tfw getting paid over $250 for my labor today even though I'm spending 3/4 of my shift funposting, fapping and playing vidya
>tfw no nepotism or networking was necessary to get hired, I was just in the right place at the right time and managed to avoid sperging out in the interviews
>tfw beat the odds
Take that, teachers and parents who told me I would never get paid to play video games all day
>>
>>35929161
How is that applicable to the real world?
>>
I still hope they will put a minimum IQ requirement to enter universities, brainlets shouldn't be allowed to waste time on useless degrees.
>>
>>35929225
>being a writer is a dream
maybe it seems like that but you are either an invisible wordsmith or a bestselling wordslut
>>
>>35929317
It's supposed to make me think twice about making a shifty arab trader like the mummy 99 when writing a movie or making the chick weak and stupid like in indiana jones temple of doom.
>>
>>35929189

That's why you actually get degrees in fields that are growing.
>>
>>35929317
It isn't. Gender studies is far-left political indoctrination and activism masquerading as education.
>>
>>35929377
So you basically studied fantasy biology/history?
>>
>>35929386
What school really is is proof that you can suck cock to completion.

You do what you don't want to do as proof to employers that you can do what you don't want to do for multiple years and pay someone to make you do it. Then they reward you for having your certificate of dick sucking and pay you to suck their dick until you retire and die.
>>
>>35929407
I have to take like 4 liberal brainwashing classes before I graduate as a screenwriter.
>>
>>35928952
I agree, if you can make 15k a year as an artist, isn't that better than making 15k at McDonald's?

t. non-artist
>>
>>35929377
So it's going to impede your creative process?

Almost everyone in that movie was an Arab because it was set in Egypt. If one of them ended up being shifty, that doesn't prove a damn thing.

No wonder modern day degree-having filmakers can't hold a candle to directors like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Orson Welles, and many others who never attended schooling past 18. No wonder a bs movie like moonlight is the best picture because it plays every sjw card in the book.
>>
>>35929418

That's life m8. Working for money is still better than rotting away in a basement filled with cum rags, and piss bottles.
>>
>>35929139
Not all stem is created equal. I have a stem degree which I researched before hand the country job openings. I had 5 offers before leaving college.
>>
I guess he makes more than I do.

I studied History and literature. I am a teacher with 400 euros wage lel
>>
File: 1347571869718.jpg (16KB, 365x385px) Image search: [Google]
1347571869718.jpg
16KB, 365x385px
>>35928921
Master of Public Policy isn't a liberal arts degree and "research interests" aren't degrees, just interests. MPP is called a Professional Degree and requires formal accreditation after studying things like cost/benefit analysis, statistics, and economics. Don't be dense.
>>
>>35929161

I had to take a sociology course for a gen ed requirement and there was one that fit perfectly in my schedule to fill a gap between two classes I had to take but I was skeptical because it was called "Race Relations in America." I took it anyways because I figured I could just put up with some whiny libshit professor for a semester and tell him what he wanted to hear for an easy A. First day I walk in and see a black professor and think "Oh great, I have to listen to a whiny nigger bitch about white people three times a week the next four months."

Boy was I wrong. Turned out he was an African straight out of Africa and not a Basketball American. Fucker hated blacks more than me. He gave multiple lectures where he said the only thing holding down blacks in America is their own bad attitudes and decisions and they would never improve themselves if they kept believing they were eternal victims. Some black student tried to argue with him once, saying shit about "muh projects muh bad inner city schools muh no father figure" and the professor shut him the fuck down. Told us a story how he watched warlords burn down his village, murder his parents and rape his sister yet he still went on to be a successful individual, so don't cry about your trivial problems to me. He was so based. I took a couple more of his classes after that.
>>
>major in physics
>have to drop it in 3rd year because i am just not geared for it
>do geography cuz fuck it i like maps
>almost everyone in physics faculty mocks me mercilessly for doing such a worthless degree
>fast forward
>i have a real job with benefits
>they are celling cell phones at the mall, folding shirts at the gap, flipping burgers at a family restaurant

why do STEMcucks think that a STEM degree = automatic good job? if you're not good at it you're going to fail at it even if you graduate

the only guy who showed any amount of humility and didn't shit on me for my "useless" degree is the only one who actually went on to apply his physics knowledge in a real capacity and make real money doing it
>>
>>35929514
And of course you're not going to name your mythical high-demand degree.

I smell bullshit
>>
>>35928921
>The explosion of unpaid internships is a problem
Agreed.
>Ban it
Every fucking time there is an issue, the first thing that comes to their mind and out of their mouths is the authoritarian left's favorite solution. I was offered an unpaid summer research position at a top 20 US university, but turned it down in favor of another position that would allow me to actually afford to do it.

Wanna know what 'entitled' means? Taking out a loan or asking for money to pursue an unpaid position which you hope will result in personal gain, failing to gain anything, then asking society to pick up the burden.
>>
>>35929189

University wasn't always purely meant for future job prospects, it was an option for those who COULD AFFORD IT to further their studies in an interest. Today people see it as "OMG NEED A DEGREE TO GET A JOB OR DO ANYTHING IN LIFE" while they come from a lower middle class background. So they take out a shit ton of debt not realizing they should've never been involved in the first place without the funds in place. That degree was meant for only those who could afford it and do something with it.

>omgz femnazi-ism is so important, I should get a degree!

Not realizing that program is NOT intended to land them a job, it's for those who already have a career and are established in their field.

Stupid fucks.
>>
>>35929538
Almost every degree has to take a course in statistics.

I don't care if he took one or two watered down courses in statistics where he learned to draw a bell-curve graph.
>>
>>35929139
Hate to break it to you anon, but higher education isn't a joke, you are
>>
>>35929501
Kubrick is so over rated it's a joke
>>
>>35929590
A lot of it comes from STEM majors who barely can pass their classes and don't apply themselves. The kinds of people who study their asses off, network, and put the time in to succeed will succeed in most places. Those that can't put down people in other majors, because in their mind it's better to be close to drowning in STEM than to be comfortable somewhere else
>>
File: DELET THIS.png (95KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
DELET THIS.png
95KB, 500x378px
>>35929621

no fuck off

it's total bullshit to treat the best and brightest of young people as slave labour

these people are dedicating their lives to become masters of their field, and that takes time and effort. this kind of dedication is basically a job in itself and they shouldn't have to waste their energy on some degrading wagecuck job like the rest of the plebs when it could be better spent realizing their full potential
>>
File: 1490859671146.png (41KB, 1790x1640px) Image search: [Google]
1490859671146.png
41KB, 1790x1640px
>Filipino
I wouldn't trust them with my lunch to bee quite h
>>
>>35929645
MPP is not a liberal arts degree regardless of your opinion on statistics, it was an example of a systematic and not "liberal arts" topic they have to study in order to become accredited.
>>
>>35929538
The problem with MPPs now is that they've become a fat cash cow for most universities
Hell, a lot of terminal masters degrees now have turned into degree mills
>>
>>35929538
This, MPP is a pretty valuable degree and if this guy can't find a job he is really fucking up

He should he able to find something with that
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 229x220px
>>35929139

>mfw I dropped out of college, took up the skilled trades in a field that isn't replaceable by automation and am set to make $100k+ in the next 3 years
>>
>>35929684
>it's total bullshit to treat the best and brightest of young people as slave labour
>best and brightest
>slave labour
Is it slave labor if you voluntarily sign up for it? I just gave an example where one shows dignity and recognizes one's own value. If your self-assigned value is '0', then you're probably not among the 'best and brightest'
>when it could be better spent realizing their full potential
It's a cost-benefit analysis for these people, if they think that working for free will end up better for them than working elsewhere, it's their decision. Apprenticeships deserve to make a comeback, but somehow I doubt that those exist for fields like 'gender theory' where there is literally nothing being produced.
>>
>>35929702
>MPP

Ok I found the program from the university he graduated from

https://www.hertie-school.org/en/mpp/curriculum/

>master's degree
>No prior knowledge of statistics is assumed

lol. Just as I thought. Watered down as fuck

>an introduction to micro- and macroeconomics. It is suitable for students without an economics background

Yeah that's a master's level degree if I ever saw one.
>>
>>35929684
the free market created this problem, the free market WILL fix it, one way or another

>it's total bullshit to treat the best and brightest of young people as slave labour
if that's where they are demanded, then suck it up bitch.

I am not a libertarian by the way but this problem is literally a result of oversaturation of the labor pool, and that's just the way things are now.
>>
>>35928952
lol former music student here. There are thousands upon thousands of people trying to make those books tv ect, but the problem is that there are hundreds of thousands trying to do that. The supply is too high already. Unless you know you will be the best, dont even try (when it comes to art).
>>
>>35928952
>learning to make basic shit in blender
>literally more difficult than programming
Why do people take that route?
>>
>>35929788

>hurr people decide to be miserable and they don't deserve a living wage to serve their country by becoming highly-trained experts

i bet you grew up in a comfy suburb and mommy and daddy paid for your whole ride to wherever you ended up, but you seriously believe that you got there by your hard work and bootstraps

>'gender theory'

yup that's who is working in unpaid internsips. not biologists, physicists, chemists, accountants, technicians of all sorts, statisticians and engineers

this herring is redder than your fucking maga hat
>>
>>35929859

>MUH FREE MARKET FIXES EVERYTHING
>btw im not libertarian!!!

well you got that right, you're probably not old enough to use this website as well!
>>
>>35930033
>not biologists, physicists, chemists, accountants, technicians of all sorts, statisticians and engineers
but anon, all STEM students get paid $70k right out the gate, unless of course they're failures :^)
>>
File: 1481912082690.jpg (50KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
1481912082690.jpg
50KB, 433x469px
>>35929621
>>35929788

If unpaid internships are the only way to get a job in your field then it isn't really voluntary. IMO some government control is good. Given no regulation corporations have(and will) fuck people raw.
>>
>>35930078
what point are you trying to make

I'm not saying this is the best of all possible realities, I'm saying things happened because of factors outside of any individual's control. And even after I told you I'm not defending it, your only response is "y-you're probably underage!"
Fuck off faggot
>>
>>35929788
>>35929859

top kek

if you don't sponsor your own children to become the professionals of tomorrow, you're just going to keep relying on importing darkies from the middle east and other shitholes just because they have a degree.

i hope you like a rich ruling class that has been thoroughly baked in sharia cuz that's what you're going to get with this kind of bullshit
>>
>>35930130
This. The modern job market is just another means of subversion.
>>
File: 32peopleapplied.png (41KB, 606x657px) Image search: [Google]
32peopleapplied.png
41KB, 606x657px
>>35930033
>yup that's who is working in unpaid internsips. not biologists, physicists, chemists, accountants, technicians of all sorts, statisticians and engineers

Unpaid internships are becoming more and more common in STEM fields as well.

What's happening is a lot of businesses are on the verge of failing, they can't afford to pay anyone so they hire a bunch of unpaid/government-subsidized interns to keep their failing businesses afloat. They rope these kids in with the promise of full time jobs but the next recession hits and most of these companies are gone anyways.
>>
>>35930229
>the reason the only positions available to my son are unpaid internships is because of a massive shitskin conspiracy!
It's the way the cookie crumbles, not a "means of subversion" fool. The west devalued its own labor, no one else.
>>
>>35929615
Not him but I'm doing a Mechanics&Materials formation in apprenticeship, I work as an apprentice chemico-physical engineer in an aerospace research center and they said they'd want to hire me when I graduate.
I'm in France though, I don't know what's the situation in America. Overall apprenticeships are much better to find jobs since you already have experience when you graduate (also helps financing yourself). Also it doesn't make you waste your time since to come into the formation you have to find a company that will accept you beforehand.
>>
>>35930307
Apprenticeships only exist in certain trades in burgerland
the closest thing we have to that would be a co-op
>>
>>35930300
I was talking about globalism, Chaim.
>>
>>35930346
Oh okay, that's a shame. It's not that developed in France either but it's been gaining traction in the last 5 years or and a lot of engineering schools are opening apprenticeship formations alongside the "regular" ones.
>>
>>35929659
Nah, the bigger problem (not him btw) is that colleges are all over the country/world regardless of local industry. I learned the hard way that a degree means shit if you don't live where the jobs are and don't have money to move. Plus, why would an out of state company hire me when they probably have 200 local applicants including the manager's son? Not to sound pessimist or nothing that's just how things are. I have a math degree with a ton of stats and I can barely get calls back in my shit hometown for retail. Things are bad.
>>
>>35930379
If I had things my way we'd have those
2 or so years of focused school work, no extra electives, then apprenticed out

The way the current education system works is pretty shit here
>>
If you aren't going to college for:

Education
Engineering
Business (accounting or finance)
Computer Science
Nursing
Doctor of Medicine

Then you should probably drop out and kill yourself
>>
>>35930443
>Education
That's terrible advice
Unless it's hilariously specialized, and even then you're gonna have to go to grad school to make it work
>>
>>35930084
yea actually im just a decent student and set to graduate in 3 weeks. I've had multiple offers and chose one at 70k a year, Controls Engineer position.
A lot of you guys fuck yourselves up by thinking too much. I had to convince someone in my class, over the course of many weeks, that academically was doing worse than me, to just go to the career fair and try.
Long story short he got a call back this week.
>>
>>35930416
It's the perfect compromise imo, the company pays for the tuition fees (they're way cheaper than in the USA though), you get paid every month and you get some work experience. It's a little special though because since you alternate between your company and school regularly it's hard to get back into it whenever you switch.
You have one week with your head full of problems at work and next week you get back to the classroom and need to study for an exam.
>>
>>35930512
It's not the comfiest or most well-paying job but they're a necessity to society
>>
>>35930235
should've studied to be a doctor and not some faggot in a lab lmfao
>>
>>35930443
I learned this the hard way. t.biology major

if you aren't going to school for something important then just don't go to school.
>>
>>35930565
>Studied to be a doctor
It takes like 15 years to be a doctor lmao, fuck that
>>
>>35930560
>they're a necessity to society
True, but the field is flooded with people right now, to the point where education degrees are one of the lowest paying out there, plus you have certification requirements and have to actively keep up with them even after you start working.

>>35930596
real problem with going for a doctor is getting into a decent med school and dealing with student debt
you probably won't have a decent income until your mid 30s and debt is probable until you're 40
t. have 2 doctor siblings
>>
>>35930596
lmfao massive payoff for 15 years motherfucker
but no you'd rather be in debt for 100k starting at 29%APR + other extra late fees doing nothing but twiddling your thumbs in a meeting room. useless to society and useless to yourself.
>>
>>35930640
>The field is flooded with people right now
Depends on the state and subject you're teaching, if you want to teach Math or Science you're gonna be fine, English and History not so much
>>
>>35929904
A better idea is not to appeal to a broad audience, but pander to a niche group. Like gay furries. People will pay top dollaroo for good gay furry art, but no one will pay for straight 3D porn unless you're retarded.
>>
>>35930654
You know like half of Doctors incomes go to making sure they can't be sued, right?

Also there is no way you can get 100k debt unless you go to law or med school, 30k is the max if you're not a retard with your bachelors
>>
>>35930687
>bachelors
good luck getting a job in this day and age kiddo. BS and BAs are the bare minimum.

>half a doctor's income go to making sure they can't be sued
alright lemme break it down motherfucker. great docs make over 200k a year (meaning specialists like neurosurgeons), the average doc is sitting around 100-150k after taxes. half of that range is 50-75k. the remaining is 50-75k a year. to do whatever the fuck you want with. low stress work too once you master the shit.

and on top of that you wil literally never be out of a job. doctors can never be out of a job unless they are fucking incompetent or straight up killing people, both cases are EXTREMELY rare.
>>
File: 1408895266588.gif (54KB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
1408895266588.gif
54KB, 384x512px
>>35930731
>low stress work too
Now I know you're retarded

Being a doctor is a rewarding and noble job, but if you're expecting a low-stress job as a Doctor you should probably think of a different job
>>
>>35930767
finish reading the comment you fucking retard. docs who master their shit walk in like the job is a walk to the park. dumbass
>>
>>35928921
The amusing thing is how these people see themselves as better than others like food service workers. It's these same people that are socialists and yet don't catch the irony.
>>
>>35930551
>>35930379
>>35930307
Damn, I wish I'd have been born in Europe to have access to this kind of shit. One of the reasons I didn't go to college is the retarded fees. Turned out okay since I like my job now.
>>
>>35930777
>>35930777

>HURR DURR A JOB IS EASY IF YOU'RE GOOD AT IT

Make way people, Captain Painfully Obvious is on the scene!
>>
>>35930814
no you don't, there's a reason why europeans are fucking immigrating to USA since 1995

they always play their shitty country up like it's the best thing since sliced bread then they fucking migrate over here. stay over there yuropoors, and deal with your shitty government by GETTING INTO GOVERNMENT, stop leaving.

Germans go back to Germany, French back to France, Africans back to Africa. Solve your own fucking problems. If I have to hear one more fucking comment about some other country in the USA I will fucking kill ten immigrants.

>>35930850
You're first on the list.
>>
>>35930862
>If I have to hear one more fucking comment about some other country in the USA I will fucking kill ten immigrants.
Germany has better apprenticeship and internship systems than the US
The bachelor's degrees over there are basically equivalent to a Burger's master level degree due to better education and work experience
>>
>>35930862
Are you autistic ?
Serious question by the way, I'm worried about you.
>>
>>35930915
Of course he fucking is.
>>
>>35930850
>I'm bad at my job! Hire me anyways!
>>
>>35930565

You do realize those faggots in a lab are the only reason the medical profession exists.
>>
>>35930883
I know other countries actualyl have it better but I grew up all my fucking life being told America is number fucking one. Turns out it isn't, and only when I finally get to university do I wake up and smell the air. I'm pissed off. 21 fucking years wasted, partially due to my own ineptitude and partially due to being flooded with lie after fucking lie.

>>35930915
no I'm not autistic and your question isn't serious coming from you. it's a passive aggressive insult as usual. I know how this stupid fucking site works and I know how the comments work.
>>
>>35930958
And you do realize that labs don't require a million faggots. What IS understaffed now are hospitals. nurses and doctors are needed, but you won't do that because your a lazy piece of shit who knows nothing and will do nothing with your life. you don't shoot for what you want. you shoot for what you need.
>>
>>35930956

>Point out one retard's completely retarded point
>Another retard chimes in with a non-sequitir
>>
>>35930990
It's non-sequitur you fucking brain-dead dolt. God I fucking hate you idiots.
>>
>>35930962
>I know other countries actualyl have it better but I grew up all my fucking life being told America is number fucking one. Turns out it isn't, and only when I finally get to university do I wake up and smell the air. I'm pissed off. 21 fucking years wasted, partially due to my own ineptitude and partially due to being flooded with lie after fucking lie.

Then why did you go on that rant about the frog anon talking about how apprenticeship works in France ?
>>
>>35930990
>Waaah! This job is hard why aren't I getting a raise! Waaah! Gimme gimme gimme!
>>
>>35930978
And your breath reeks of curry, Patel

No matter how often you tell people you have an MD it won't change that fact.
>>
>>35931022
Because I fucking can't stand hearing about other countries. They always immigrate to America and shit this place up. Every day I hear "the people here are dumbasses" and similar comments. Fuck off.

I apologize to the Frenchman though I don't expect it to be accepted. I should control my anger.
>>
>>35931053
I'm Jim, not fucking randeep. Indians back to India too, and stop shitting up (literally) your own backdoor. We don't want you here in America, you smell like fucking shit and don't believe in deodorant. Assimilate to the fucking culture or get the fuck out of the USA.
>>
>>35931010

Trolling autistic faggots like you is really too easy.
>>
>you can get degrees in nu-male cuckdom
What a time to be alive.
>>
>>35928921
Daily reminder that double or triple majoring is not the same as having three degrees

Also despite knowing this I will say I have 2 degrees when I graduate because fuck it naw I mean?
>>
>>35930565
>>35930978

Not everyone can become a doctor. If more and more people try to become doctors, they'll just make the entrance requirements to medical school even more competitive because they need to restrict the supply of doctors.

The doctors guild has a vested interest in keeping hospitals understaffed so that they can keep raking in more cash for themselves.
>>
>>35928921
>Don't study liberal arts

No shit. No one with half a brain needed to be told this. You either go to college and get a STEM or business degree, or you wasted your money.
>>
>>35928921
Going to college is just a way of marking class. It means you are civilized enough to sit down and study until your early 20s
>>
File: 1490135526078.jpg (36KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
1490135526078.jpg
36KB, 600x456px
>>35928921
>>35928921
>>35928921

I personally know a bitch with a political science degree from Carlton (considered a shitty school, University of Toronto is leagues better). BA in Poli Sci. We never actually fucked, but this girl used to suck my dick a lot when both of us were 14.

She's 28, works for the government of canada (department of finance), makes $72,000/year (about $30/hour) doing basic bitch work almost any average (100 IQ) non-retarded high schooler can do with MS Excel and some knowledge of the laws & accounting. Her name, professional designation and code, salary, email/phone, contact info, contracts she works on are all public info. Almost guaranteed promotions, almost guaranteed job security for life, nice benefits, medical, pension, 3 weeks paid vacation, 10 sick days.

Spent all of university fucking Chads in cool local bands (Ottawa and Toronto areas) and cosplaying at anime cons.

How did she get the job? She speaks both English and French (she's Quebecois) and quelle fucking surprise...both of her parents spent their entire lives working for the Government, too.

Meanwhile I've worked ass-to-ass with like 111 IQ Pajeets and pakis with advanced medical degrees, IT certs, accounting diplomas, busting our backs in warehouses as temp workers, loading trailers in 30 degree heat, getting paid minimum wage, lifting 5-40 lbs. boxes 8 hours a day.

I have an okay IT job now. Am I still mad? You fucking bet. I'm not gonna doxx her, but you fucking bet I'm mad as hell

I would LOVE to have a drink with this poor bastard from OP's pic and tell him all about my high school ex...
>>
>>35931444
Business degrees are worthless and STEM is overrated. Most STEM majors work jobs unrelated to what they we're studying
>>
>>35931520
And yet either one is still 100x better than a liberal arts degree.
>>
>>35929780
>am set up to make
oh shut the fuck up
>>
>>35931520
>Most STEM majors work jobs unrelated to what they we're studying
Doesn't matter as long as the pay is fine.
>>
>>35931517
They had to get a shit GPA and/or no internships to not get a job with an Accounting degree, that's entirely their fault
>>
File: 1458788776063.jpg (161KB, 1890x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1458788776063.jpg
161KB, 1890x1417px
>>35930235
>4 years of software developement REQUIRED
>diploma REQUIRED
>for a fucking unpaid internship

That ad is ruining my fucking life
>>
>>35931596
Degrees from another country aren't worth a whole lot in Canada.

What the other guy said doesn't surprise me in the least. I've worked in a warehouse in Canada and a few of the guys there had advanced degrees in STEM fields.
>>
>>35929225
I want to be a photographer, that would be my dream

>everyone has photography as a hobby and people take amazing photos in their time off

Sigh
>>
>>35931851
The get a decent job and do your photo thing on the side.
>>
>>35931581

Already make $75k/year

>umad?
>>
Is it possible to use advocacy in a sentence and not absolutely destroy all of your credibility? The exception being the preceding sentence.
>>
File: 1490612577291.jpg (28KB, 483x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490612577291.jpg
28KB, 483x480px
>>35931769
A lot of companies specifically tailor their job ads to be as exclusive as possible, so they can "legally" say that they couldn't find anyone and need to hire internationally (in IT it's usually Pajeet from India).

There are lawyers who are hired to coach HR how to do this. If you feel like raging, watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

In the US it's H-1B, in Canada it's TFW ("""temporary""" foreign worker)

On the flip side, there are companies overseas (Tata Consultancy Services is a specific Indian company that does this) who tailor their human resources' resumes to specifically match these impossible ads.

I've seen a "Hiring" sign on my (South East Asian owned and operated) local Tim Horton's that's been up for 5 months now. There are three high school within 20 minutes walking distance, they seriously can't find someone? It's a scam, it's all a fucking scam and none a this matters
>>
File: 1490324370844.jpg (29KB, 529x446px) Image search: [Google]
1490324370844.jpg
29KB, 529x446px
>>35931835
Then they should stay in their shit country or go back to school in Canada

They have nothing to blame but themselves
>>
>>35931943
Nope, that's a magic word instantly triggers multiple orgasms and guaranteed job offers
>>
>>35931987
If any Canadian who has to work as a grocery clerk because his degree wasn't validated by another nation thinks the same?
>>
File: 90.gif (40KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
90.gif
40KB, 1000x1000px
>>35931517
It's been 20 minutes since I wrote this post. I drank 4 beers in that time and I'm still mad

I think I'll just spend all weekend thinking about this
>>
File: 1489401333217.png (766KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1489401333217.png
766KB, 2000x2000px
>>35932054
u wanna try that again anon?
>>
>>35932078
Don't be so freaking salty about it. She's given the red carpet and now makes bank while doing nothing. It's not fair. But getting yourself tangled up in it makes it even more useless, and now you dragged me into this.
>>
>>35931943
No I don't think it's possible.

Someone who advocates for something just wants other people to solve a problem for them.
>>
>>35929780
What field?

Hjdtyyb booght 677
>>
>"fell for the STEM meme" meme

I just graduated this May and have a great job engineering, I love it

fellow STEM faggots, have faith
>>
>>35929317
I'd be the last to agree with leftist propaganda, but things dont always have to applicable to the real world to be worthwhile
>>
>>35929225
my dream is to work in an anonymous cubicle desu, flipping papers all day and wasting time online. Dilbert always seemed to have it made.
>>
>>35931886
I have one. But being just a photographer is my dream, since my job isn't very fulfilling to me. Shooting in my time off is fun, but what if I could travel and shoot without having to work around my work, literally.
>>
>>35932576
Dilbert committed suicide at 39. I urge you to rethink your life.
>>
>>35932603
Huh... I always thought he was older
>>
>>35932603
source? is this cannon? lol
>>
File: 1489735103047.jpg (39KB, 668x729px) Image search: [Google]
1489735103047.jpg
39KB, 668x729px
>>35932635
>homer simpson is 34
>>
>>35929325
They're gonna make a big bitchfest about "Intellectual Disability phobia" or some stupid shit. Until Campuses stop fucking bending over waiting for the SJW big black multicultural oppressed cock college is gonna be a joke
>>
>>35932603
he had a good run. I'm still envious.
>>
>>35928921
Mate I have a degree in the promised +60k out of college engineering degree.

It's been almost a year out of college: 200+ applications, 5 interviews, still jo job.

Degrees are the bare minimum requirement to get a job these days. You need to "stand out" from your peers, and simply joining a few clubs and having 1 or 2 personal projects won't cut it. It's the most fucking cuckold shit I've ever experienced and I loathe it with a passion.

Rather just start my own company and employ myself. Coming up with an idea is tough though.
>>
>>35931960
>In the US it's H-1B, in Canada it's TFW ("""temporary""" foreign worker)

This guy gets it.

>There is no official estimate of the size of the total H-1B population; our estimate is >650,000 as of September 30, 2009, 10 times larger than the flow number usually >referred to.

vs.

>Between 2006 and 2014, more than 500,000 workers (referred to under the program >as Temporary Foreign Workers or TFWs) were brought into Canada under the >program.[5] In 2013 there were 338,000 foreign workers in Canada.[6]

Now keep in mind that Canada has 10% of the population of the United States.
>>
>>35932854
Have you done any internships? I'm asking since I don't have any internships and might not be able to since I don't have a vehicle. I'm poor.
>>
>>35930407
>I have a math degree

you fell for the math meme. unless you go to an ivy league school; get a teaching certificate; or get an advanced degree in statistics/comp sci/engineering, you're not going to find a job.

3.8 gpa with an applied math degree and i couldnt get anything. went back to school for a masters in accounting and 6 months into the program i got a $27/hr internship that lead to a $55k/yr full-time offer that i will start next summer/fall.
>>
>>35928941
Literally all he has to do is lose weight
>>
>>35932854
>EE degree from state school, decent gpa
>no internships
>no networking contacts
>no extra-curriculars

Took a year to get a job. $62k starting and paying for my Master's (+$13k a year effectively). Solid job security.

Just keep at it. Get good at interviewing. Be a likable person (hard for robots I know) and you'll land one eventually.
>>
>>35933310
How did you write your resume/CV? This info could help me out.
>>
>>35929139
>tfw M.Sc
>tfw working as a quant
>tfw 105k starting
>tfw 200+ in the next two years.

Feels god damn fantastic.
>>
I'm an ultimate poorfag starting at community college this year. I'm intelligent enough to crush the classes there easily, transfer to a 4 year state school and get any degree I want from there.

What would be the best option for me? I'm signed up with a maths & science course right now, something technical would probably be best right?
>>
>>35931517
im with you i know some chad who studies with me who got hooked with a goverment job from his family ,makes me so mad
>>
>tfw got a criminal justice degree & got rejected from the police

well shit

what do i do now
>>
What sort of shit schools/shit courses are people taking?
I was a philosophy major and by the time I graduated I could
>program (Intro to alg, discrete structures, comp for stats and modelling)
>weld, do carpentry, and CAD ( intro to production design, wood sculpture, volunteering for set making)
Plus history and finance classes.

I got a job in data analysis for an insurance company out of college. Lmao if you go to college to study russian lit for four years and take shit electives of course you will be unmarketable.
>>
>>35932950
No internships here. Might have been my mistake, I dunno. Maybe I didn't network hard enough because all my supposed contacts seems to be useless.

>>35933310
EE graduate as well (below average gpa thanks to nearly failing 1st year). I have loads of extra-curricular and I've been browsing diy religiously just to get some hardware projects off the ground.

I haven't had an interview since January. Got all of my interviews in the span of 3 months and that's it, no one is responding anymore.
>>
I'm going to graduate with high honors in neuroscience and psych but I'm so sick of match and statistics that I'm just going to go to law school.

That's right, an anti-social aspie will be a lawyer. Watch out, world.
>>
>>35933867
Apply in a different state

Or do border control, that's a pretty comfy job
>>
>>35934049
in the usa? If you don't get into a top 25 law school, don't bother. Plus, being aspie and working at a law firm is maximum stressful.
>>
>music major
>became musician
>live as musician
everything went better than expected
>>
>>35934153

Yea in the US. I have a neat GPA so if I ace the LSAT, I should get a full ride to a T14.

I wish I did better on the GREs though. Would have applied to a top tier neuro lab. Fuck math.
>>
>>35933867
Dallas needs dispatchers and police. If the police don't accept you, dispatchers might, which looks good on a resume+shop talk about crazy 911 calls during interviews.
>>
>>35933867
apply for a cop porno
>>
>>35929904
Sounds like you were just bad and got discouraged rather than encouraged.
>>
>>35928921
>social capitals relationship to political economy

perfect, he should understand exactly why he's in this position. Properly qualified for the job, desu.
>>
>>35929858
this is also somewhat suspect
>>
>>35929306
Lucky brother, what's your Job?
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.