[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell do you get a job?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

>see job posting for a clerical job at a medium sized financial services firm
>job pays $8.75/hr which is 50 cents more than my last job.
>job posting has no hard requirements so I apply
>have to take online cognitive test after applying for the job before they even give me an interview
>CEO calls to congratulate me on getting the highest score on the IQ test in the 20 year history of the firm
>still doesn't give me a job because I don't have any relevant work experience

What do I do fellow Robots? How the hell do I get work experience without having a job?

Was Charles Murray mistaken when he said cognitive ability determines your status?
>>
>>35925417
You're too smart for the position, you'll have better use of your time somewhere else, you'll be thankful of this rejection in the long run. Also, is it some legit test? Care to post the link?
>>
>>35925417
>CEO himself callls you
>and then denies you the job
Nice bait. Here's your (you).
>>
>>35925467
>you'll have better use of your time somewhere else

I hope so. I only have 5 left until I ascend to wizardhood.

>Also, is it some legit test? Care to post the link?

https://www.criteriacorp.com/solution/ccat.php
>>
>HR Employee pretends to be CEO
>they tell everyone that he or she got the highest score ever to make them feel better right before rejecting them

standard practice ... at least they weren't rude and you feel smart now
>>
>>35925619
The company has <200 employees.

This wasn't exactly Goldman Sachs.
>>
>>35925417
>How the hell do I get work experience without having a job?
Lie
Normally, you'd have connections via friends or your family would help you. Since you're here I doubt you have those
>>
>>35925417
Know someone or blow someone.
>>
>>35925717
The problem is all my friends are similarly unemployed and my parents are uncooperstive, to say the least. I feel trapped.
>>
>>35925676
>standard practice ... at least they weren't rude and you feel smart now

No, he spent 10 minutes giving me a bunch of brain teasers over the phone.

I think he suspected I'd somehow cheated on the test, and wanted to verify that I hadn't.
>>
>>35925417
How old are you opop
>>
>>35925691
>>35925759

The CEO is a retard and you shouldn't work there, if what you're saying is true. If you're literally the highest-scoring person to have applied there, he would have hired you on the spot.
Why?
Because 8.75/hr is peanuts and he could groom you into something more useful. If he didn't have the foresight to do that, then his business will fail.
>>
>>35925754
Your options at this point then are to lie, list companies that went out of business as places you've worked, use your friends to lie

Another option is use one of those temp worker places, though you can get screwed by them.
The truth is, the economy is dogshit for everyone right now and it's probably going to get worse over the next few years
>>
>>35925828
No, companies will try to avoid hiring the "best", since they'll tend to get better offers elsewhere and leave pretty quickly
It's a poor investment on their part, same reason they won't hire "overqualified" people
>>
>>35925837
>The truth is, the economy is dogshit for everyone right now and it's probably going to get worse over the next few years
Don't I know it brother. I'm terrified of finally landing a job and then lmao recession. I'm leaning towards military but have no idea what to expect from their. It just seems safer than retail and shit.
>>
>>35925819
I have 5 years left until I get my official wizard card.
>>
File: Candy_store2.jpg (288KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Candy_store2.jpg
288KB, 1024x768px
>>35925417
>need previous work experience for $8.75 an hour
Man I feel really bad for you. That sucks. That's fucking chump change.

Just lie and say you have previous experience? Seems like everyone does that. What's the worst that will happen? They'll fire you? Well hey, that's further than you would've gotten. And you would've wasted the douchebag's time, too.
>>
>>35925828
You know why mcdonalds don't hire people with degrees?

Because the managers don't want their spot usurped, same shit happened here.
>>
>>35925967
This.
A lot of managers really enjoy the power they think they wield and if they feel like you're too smart or strong-willed, they won't hire you.
>>
>>35925887
>I'm leaning towards military but have no idea what to expect from their
boredom for the most part, and they won't really give you "direction" that most people claim they will.
They are gonna rapidly expand in the near future though and we'll probably have a shooting war with someone before Trump is out
>>
File: the_power_of_meme_magic.jpg (227KB, 724x1200px) Image search: [Google]
the_power_of_meme_magic.jpg
227KB, 724x1200px
A couple years ago I was a little asshurt when I wasn't hired at a new tech support call center in my town that was hiring tons of people. I was a recent college grad, I knew I was more qualified than most of the people they hired and it paid better than the food service bullshit I was doing at the time. Then a couple months later I landed an office job that is better in every way (don't have to talk to people, get to work from home which I am doing as we speak, only have to actually work for a couple hours each shift to get everything done) and this job pays three times as much as being a phone jockey.

It's scary to think how much shittier life would be if I did get that call center job.
>>
>>35926042
Well I'm at least a little smart because I managed to snag a math degree with honors so I'm hoping I can take on an engineering gig or something with them and then transfer that to the real world, but again I don't know what to expect and my parents are liberal and hate war n shiet.
>>
>>35926094
I would just say to make sure you don't end up in some kind of "analyst" style position
Those are already being automated in the big firms and will probably be significantly reduced or wiped out by 20202
>>
>>35926162
My strength, and weakness, is that I have no pull in life and my parents never gave me one that wasn't a half assed suggestion. I like and am good at science/stem shit so I figure I'll eventually land something in their. I just hate academia though maybe if I have a career I would be able to stomach it. For now I just gotta get the hell out of my house. Military will do that plus give me better wages than my alternative (retail/entry shit) on top of helping pay for loans. I might make it. We'll see.
>>
>>35926229
Also
check Craigslist job postings, while there's more shit jobs on there, you tend to get way more responses back
>>
File: wahatnoway.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wahatnoway.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>35925417
>claim to have high IQ
>still figuring out how to get a job
>>
>>35925837
>Your options at this point then are to lie, list companies that went out of business as places you've worked, use your friends to lie

My plan is to start up my own company and just list myself as an employee. Is this a good or bad idea?

I've also fudged job titles in order to game the Applicant-Tracking-Systems the geniuses in HR are using. It seems like unless your previous job title is almost exactly the same as the job they're hiring for, your resume is going to end up in the bin.
>>
>>35926301
I'm convinced that if you're a robot, it doesn't really matter how high your IQ is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYo46N-Kfuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNM2a_P0tis
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.