[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there so much status and other shit attached to wine?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

File: muh wine.png (2MB, 1000x1148px) Image search: [Google]
muh wine.png
2MB, 1000x1148px
Why is there so much status and other shit attached to wine? I mean first off, it's fucking disgusting. Ever the worst pisswater beer tastes better than "good" wine. I mean, is it just an excuse for people who are in their mid 30's and older to pretend like they're so worldly? Especially women.
>had a tough day, gotta half a bottle of wine and have some "me time"
I mean, FFS, at least with men who drink beer it's pretty obvious where they're going with that but wine drinkers, especially women, act like it's this big maturing and worldly experience or something.
>>
>>35851523
It's just that in your shitty country you don't have any good wine and therefore will never be able to enjoy the experience of drinking actual good alcohol.
t.french
>>
They were socialized to be like that. Wine was the "fancy adult" drink that their parents had and now that they're adults, they want to be fancy adults.
>>
>>35851544
>muh magical fermented grape juice
A $1500 a bottle wine tastes no different than a $40 a bottle wine.
>>
File: 1487446080216.jpg (22KB, 512x362px) Image search: [Google]
1487446080216.jpg
22KB, 512x362px
>>35851579
Magical kek.
It's just that you drink it like beer, and have no idea how to actually taste it.
>>
>>35851575
I've noticed this trend especially bad with millenials. You'll have this 22 year old chick who thinks she's some sort of expert.
>>
>>35851599
How does your own ass smell? Aged like a fine wine to go with your dick cheese?
>>
File: IMG_0504.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Wine connoisseur coming through with superior opinion:

Best wine growing regions:
South Africa (pic related)
Western Australia
South Australia
Victoria
New Zealand for some whites and pinot noir

Regions where I haven't tried enough to have an informed opinion but liked a few bottles:
Chile
France
Argentina

Regions where the wine was shit and expensive
USA

Regions where the wine was shit and cheap:
Italy (but haven't spent much time or money trying out this region)
>>
>>35851544
But France motherfucking sucks, though
>>
File: 1487526204535.jpg (57KB, 540x723px) Image search: [Google]
1487526204535.jpg
57KB, 540x723px
>>35851630
It's another "Angry burger is just too stupid to come up with a witty response" episode.
Just accept the fact that you are an idiot reactionary millennial as well, and uncultured at that.
>>
>>35851633
HAHAHAHAHA

Wine connoisseur coming through with superior opinion?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Did you type this expecting these kids to be in awe? Come oooon, maaaan...
>>
>>35851633
I hope this post is in jest. You're exactly the problem. I mean, I could understand someone with an interest in food and other shit from around the world... but it's just fucking fermented fruit nigga. It's alcohol. Enjoy it all you like and enjoy all the different kinds you've tried or whatever but to act like it makes you this "international" or some sort of high class ass muncher is just sad.
>>
>>35851659
Fuck, you win. You've convinced me. Not only am I hurt now, I am going to change my life after this post. Thank you for saving me!
>>
>>35851659
>muh cultured
Fuck, I hate commies but if there's one thing I can agree with the real ones on it's that you smarmy bourgeois fucks should hang. The idea that consumption of something is in and of itself an experience is the most degenerate decadent bullshit imaginable.
>>
File: 1488978169011.png (32KB, 506x533px) Image search: [Google]
1488978169011.png
32KB, 506x533px
>>35851684
You're welcome, my dear. Fufufufu
Now please kiss my superior european feet.
>>
File: IwvC1.png (418KB, 313x482px) Image search: [Google]
IwvC1.png
418KB, 313x482px
Ameriturd spotted. Back to your cheese tube, overweight Stan.
>>
>>35851701
>proceeds to burn cheese and slop it off onto raw ground chuck beef
>>
File: 1488205969205.jpg (55KB, 652x448px) Image search: [Google]
1488205969205.jpg
55KB, 652x448px
>>35851699
Nice rant there, but it had nothing to do with my post. Did I say drinking was an "experience"? Nope, so please take your medications for once and let the grown ups talk about something else than your McBeer and McBurgers
>>
File: 1476457763610.jpg (68KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
1476457763610.jpg
68KB, 699x485px
>>35851523
Is this bait? Wine tastes great, especially white wine.
>>
>>35851757
Typical Eurotrash, rant something about
>muh stupid Americans
then you get btfo and all you can do is default to
>muh stupid Americans
>>
>>35851523
>it's an amerilard can't appreciate good food episode

You've probably only tried some cheap Californian wine. Also, you're supposed to drink it during a meal (unless it's a very particular circumstance) and not to get drunk with it like some shitty liquor
>>
>>35851523
Dumb american
>>
>>35851811
Could you remind me the part where I got btfo? Because the only thing i see here is someone getting mad at something that wasn't even said and threw an unrelated temper tantrum.
>>
>>35851807
>>35851822
>>35851838
*swishes around in poor restaurant hygiene standards*
Fucking Ameri-
*honhons*
I be sayin', fuckin Amerilards
*Je suis le Caca*
uncultured
*doesn't wash hands after going to the bathroom*
vive la, I sayin vive la revolution
*spits in food*
>>
ITT: butthurt americans don't know what good good tastes like
>>
>>35851913
I'm Italian actually, stop being this delusional
>>
>>35851945
Oh wow, you're Italian? Well imagine almost word for word what I said but in your local dialect of Italian. You are the shit after all. Just add
>*gets run down by the local mob because he didn't pay his protection fees*
>>
>>35851523
wine tastes good. so thus beer. wine is less water and higher alcohol % so you can get drunk faster with wine. That is really the knack of wine over beer. you wont end up pissing as much.
>>
>>35851928
It's actually mostly Europeans and wannabe Europeans condescendingly defending their fermented grape juice.
>>
>>35852023
Oh really? I don't even drink wine myself, I don't particularly appreciate it, but saying it's just fermented grape juice is like saying beer is just fermented yeast: even though it technically is, there's a lot more to it. And people saying that cheap wine is like expensive wine are really stupid: if you drink cheap wine, you'd get horrible stomach ache and it will taste like grape juice with alcohol added to it, while actual wine has a lot of variety and different tastes. It takes some time to get accustomed to it, just like you can't at first tell apart many beers, but welp...
>>
>>35852089
The point isn't that cheap wine is like expensive wine, it's that the difference isn't worth the price and that the "status" and "culture" attached to it is fucking ridiculous because it's attached to the price more than the taste difference itself and that FINALLY, even cheaper alcoholic beverages of other types taste better than the $15k bottle of wine..
>>
>>35852132
These points mostly have to do with the fact that you probably don't live in the right place to enjoy wine...For example, a 40$ bottle in France will cost 200 in the US, because some people take advantage of the "wine meme" (which is real, but prices are just ridiculous).
In fact, wine is among the cheapest beverage in France, next to beer.
But the fact that there is such a frenzy with wine in the US and the like is jut ridiculous indeed, and that's sad because it keeps people away from some genuine good stuff while making it sounds like some luxury item, which it is not.
>>
>>35851523
This is an exceptional post and something I've always wondered too.

>people actually go on wine tasting holidays
>don't even drink the wine they spit it out and other weird traditions

Would rather tour the Coca Cola factory desu
>>
>>35851599
How does one properly taste it?
>>
>>35852218
The only reason why you spit it is that if you drink it you'll get drunk pretty fast, and the taste will stay at the bottom of your throat, and you won't be able to taste anything else.
>>
>>35852239
Is it really that good tasting that it merits this tomfoolery?

Or is it just for 'the experience'?
>>
>>35852224
Well first off, you have to make sure it is at the right temperature, at around 15-20 degrees, then you have to rotate it a little to mix it, and then take a small sip, mix it with air in your mouth, and then either drink it or spit it out if you intend on tasting others as well.
It might seem weird, but most of the taste actually is in the smell it has, and if you just plain old drink it, you will get almost none of it.
>>
>>35852260
Most people only do it because they think it's a luxurious thing and it's classy, but if you really want to taste it, it's better to just go to a cave or even shops and then just taste it there. It's an entire culture, but most people get it wrong, in that they think it's some kind of culture-ish classy thing when it's just about enjoying good alcohol...
>>
>>35852261
Literally just sounds like it's your mind just winging it then if the unique "taste" is n't even the taste but the smell.
>>
>>35852291
Well you know, 90% of what you taste is actually the smell of it going up your nose while eating. That's why people who lost the sense of smell also often find food bland and uninteresting. And with alcohol it's especially important since your tongue tends to be overwhelmed by ethanol and doesn't taste shit.
>>
>>35851523
YOU HAVE TO BE 18 OR OLDER TO POST FUCKING MODS MOOODS
>>
mfw I drink a good cab...

jesus christ its good

its better than sex... cutfag not surprised.
>>
>>35852261
What you taste and what you smell aren't identical?
>>
>>35852332
>haha, you thought you could have an opinion on something, kiddo? Well you're wrong so I'm going to claim you're underage.
>>
>>35852343
Not really: when you eat, you have both the smell and the taste combined, whereas when you smell, you just have your olfactory sense. Plus the texture of what you eat comes into play, so it can end up being very different.
>>
>>35852358
Oh, that's neat. I guess there is a depth to that kind of stuff.
>>
>>35851523
Yes, OP, most things people do are pure pretense. It's all part of the "fake it 'til you make it" philosophy that normals love.
In order to appear cultured, there are certain things you have to do. One of those is to drink wine.

Wine is also considered a woman's drink. Women drinking beer is seen as mannish and unfeminine. Add to that some alcoholics think drinking wine every day isn't a problem.
>>
>>35852490
Actually do you know that red wine is probably the healthiest alcohol you could drink? That is why France has the lowest rate of cardio-vascular diseases while eating cheese and meat all the time.
Most alcoholic drink white wine, which do not have these benefits.
>>
>>35851544
Isn't alcohol haram in Islamic countries?
>>
>>35852509
>i-it's healthy
Same thing the fat ass that east 50% cocoa "dark" chocolate says as he eats 1200 calories of it.
>>
>>35852526
Hahaha, very funny...
hits close to home...
>>
>>35852490
>Wine is also considered a woman's drink
Good wine complements food and beats beer when it comes to being socially intoxicated.

OP is simply unlucky in not having found good wine to drink yet. It took a while to browse through various shelves, but I have finally a small cabinet of wine and it is glorious.
>>
>>35852532
Of course drinking too much is not healthy. But in a decent amount it is not as bad as beer.
>>
>>35851523
Because women see wine as the mature, feminine thing to drink. They're the type that'll just buy anything and suck it down while getting their opinions of it off the internet.

It's like everything though. You'll get some people who actually enjoy it, you'll get some people who see it as a superior status thing while actually enjoying it, you'll get some people who see others using it as a status thing and emulating it, and you'll get people like you who dislike/hate it. It's the same as cigars for men or beer for college aged people.
>>
>>35851523
>Ever the worst pisswater beer tastes better than "good" wine.
Have you never had white wine?
>I mean, FFS, at least with men who drink beer it's pretty obvious where they're going with that but wine drinkers, especially women, act like it's this big maturing and worldly experience or something.
Clearly you've never seen hipsters around craft beer.
>>
>>35852781
>hipsters are somehow an indicator of beer drinkers
>>
>>35853040
>Basic bitches are somehow an indicator of whine drinkers
>>
>>35851633
>Wine connoisseur doesn't even speak of Portugal or at least Port Wine.

Are you absolutely fucking mental? You think you can pretend to know wine just because you're on r9k, GET OUT. In no other place in the world can you buy wine as cheap and as good as in Portugal.
>>
>>35852581
Pretty much, but probably no one in this shit place even dines or knows how to cook well enough to desire a good wine to match their meals.

I do know that a fresh Rose alongside sushi and other Asian dishes is one of my favorite things.
>>
File: LFOMG.jpg (24KB, 363x402px) Image search: [Google]
LFOMG.jpg
24KB, 363x402px
>>35851523
Beer, wine and coffee are all 'aquired tastes' in that most first-time drinkers are not impressed by the flavors.
>Why is there so much status and other shit attached to wine?
This is more true in Anglosphere countries because England didn't have a lot of vineyards in the 19th Century so people who speak English defaulted to ale as the alcohol of choice. Wine had to be imported, making it expensive, making it the province of the well-t-do, giving it an association with wealth and class.
The French think that's funny.
>Ever the worst pisswater beer tastes better than "good" wine
Unless you have extreme tastes this just means you've only ever had limited exposure to wine. There are so many types of wine available with some experimentation you can find one you can enjoy, if not love.
>at least with men who drink beer it's pretty obvious where they're going with that but wine drinkers, especially women, act like it's this big maturing and worldly experience or something.
This is known as 'distancing' - ever have that male friend that rants about craft beer and then gets drunk as shit? Similar principle. By masking their goals in higher language they can accept that they are drinking for effect without *saying* they are drinking for effect.
>>
>>35851633
>Wine connoisseur
>lists Italians and Americans as crap
Both slap Australia around like a pimp slapping a $5 whore holding out in taste comparisons, poseur
>>
>>35852089
>beer is just fermented yeast
No, beer is fermented barley water - the yeast *does* the fermenting, it isn't fermented.
>>
File: 1460274085504.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1460274085504.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>>35852526
oh that is fucking brutal kek
>>
I like beer AND wine
>>
Wine has its cultural roots in religion. Ancient civilizations such as Greeks and Romans were crazy about wine. Wine is basically the alcohol you're allowed to drink without feeling too guilty and ashamed over it.
>>
this post is retarded. wine is heaven and if you don't like it than that sucks for you but don't try to convince others it's bad because you have shit taste
>>
>>35851633
You should try portuguese wine, there are a few bottles that are cheap but very enjoyable
>>
>>35853281

Greeks watered down their wine until it was scarcely stronger than a soft drink.
>>
I always thought that people just pretended to like beer/lager, that really is fucking disgusting.

Wine is God-tier
>>
>>35853202
HAHAHAHAHAHAH
oh Lordy. You guys really just need to be the best at everything hey?
Italian wine is often cheap and crude, unless of course you're getting high end restaurant wine from vineyards owned by the Bulgari guy.
Australia, especially for such a small population has an awesome breadth of wines in price and availability. The problem with America is you guys don't normalise drinking safe amounts with meals; Italians, french etc let their children have it and Australians pretty well are okay with under 18's having a few beers or glasses of wine. America is either 21+ or dry... really just saying hold off for 21 years then go crazy, leads to more binge drinking and alcoholics. Anyways, point is with american wine culture, not only is it reserved for adults, it's more stigmatised and held to a higher standard because you don't have the same accessibility and freedom when it comes to alcohol, good or bad.
>>
>>35854257
source?
thats total bullshit
>>35854585
its almost like different people have different tastes.
>>
>>35851523
we mostly hear middle age women talk about wine all the time

it's because that's all there was (unless you wanted to be a BLACK PERSON by smoking marijuana) when they were in their 20s so that's what they know
>>
>>35851633
>Regions where I haven't tried enough to have an informed opinion but liked a few bottles:
>Chile
>France
>Argentina

Nigga you're missing out on literally the best wine in the world
>>
I mean when I do drink I only drink Vodka...Wine and Beer taste kinda bad in my opinion
>>
>>35852261
well that sounds fucking pretentious. Next time I serve someone a dish and they call it shitty, I'll tell them to sample it while standing on one leg and screwing themselves in the ass with the buisiness end of a fork. At precisely 293 kelvins of course.
>>
I just want to order wine from the bar without people commenting on how sophisticated I look (or trying to look), or being asked about my favorite wine varieties (I couldn't care less about that shit). I've even been asked what's the most expensive wine I've ever had (what would it mean to drink expensive wine anyway?). I only drink the stuff to get me drunk quicker. wine culture, craft beer connoisseurs - it's all just try-hard crap
>>
>>35854976
Well...What can I do for you? It's the best way to enjoy it, just like you have a favorite position to sit or an optimum sleeping pattern.
I'm not going to be condescending, but you have to understand this is not arbitrary, nor to act snobby, but merely because it allows for a better experience, by making the taste more vivid. Temperature allows your taste buds to be more receptive, and also allows for odors to leave the rink more easily.
>>
File: GoodRedWine__1_.jpg (127KB, 1296x1936px) Image search: [Google]
GoodRedWine__1_.jpg
127KB, 1296x1936px
>>35851523
Hey now. I like wine but you're right and I have always thought this. What the fuck is up with women and the ever so pervasive "LE WINE XDD" meme? Can you dumb cunts stop thinking you're sophisticated for drinking festered grapes? The caliber of the wine is what matters, not just wine in and of itself. There are $5 bottles of wine and $5000 bottles of wine. And if you drink it every night that makes you an ALCOHOLIC, which of course is not sophisticated but rather pathetic. Yet they advertise such nonsense as if being a lush is something to be praised, some badge of honor. Well don't look to me for your liver replacement, whore. Fucking hate those cunts. Get fucked and die.
>>
>>35854976
top kek
Wine snobs are such fags.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.