[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG General

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

File: Magic-AmonkhetPrerelease-Web.jpg (539KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
Magic-AmonkhetPrerelease-Web.jpg
539KB, 1200x500px
If you're lonely, why don't you go out and play some Magic The Gathering? It can be a fun and, most importantly, cheap way of spending a friday evening.

>But I don't have a deck!
Most places I see run drafts instead of constructed, so you're fine there.

In fact, there is a whole new set being released soon! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-2txz0F48 for more detail.

>But I don't know how to play the game?
If you have literally never played MTG before, check out Magic Duels, a F2P magic game. Basically, all you need to know is the basics of the game. People are usually very helpful if you admit you're new.

>It's too expensive
You don't need to own a 400 dollar deck to play Magic. I'm not talking about getting a budget deck, or any of that bullshit. All you need to do is just draft.
To do a draft costs around 15-20 Canuckbucks and usually last at least three hours. Not to mention, if you do well, you can get prizes that pretty much pay for your draft. Or, you can open really good cards that you can sell for money.

>I don't know any place that plays magic
http://locator.wizards.com/

>I'm not a nurd tho
Yes you are.
>>
>>35833403
Anybody excited for the return of cycling?
>>
Exert allows creatures to give a little more effort to produce unusually good results.

You make the decision whether to exert a creature as you declare it as an attacker. If you choose to have it exert, an ability will trigger and grant you some bonus. As a trade-off, the creature won't untap during your next turn. It's tired. Needs a nap. Attack more later.
>>
File: Dusk-Dawn.jpg (41KB, 350x515px) Image search: [Google]
Dusk-Dawn.jpg
41KB, 350x515px
>>35833403
Dusk // Dawn
Destroy all creatures with power greater or equal to 3

//

Consequence (Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.)

Return all creature cards with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.
>>
File: bump.jpg (25KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
25KB, 223x310px
>>35833403
Bump is the thread
>>
File: stasis.jpg (55KB, 550x300px) Image search: [Google]
stasis.jpg
55KB, 550x300px
>Sunk thousands of $$$ into a bunch of decks for Modern/Legacy/EDH/Frontier (inb4 >Frontier)
>The nearest store is too far away for me to get there regularly, not to mention crippling anxiety
>The only time I get to play with my cards is on the kitchen table with a few friends a few times a year
>Half of my decks are just not fun to play against so they end up just gathering dust
>The decks I do play often get wrecked by their decks which cost barely a tenth as much

Doesn't feel good.

At least I could always cash out and sell some at any point.
>>
>>35833930
You ever try MTGO/Cockatrice? Cockatrice is good for constructed, as you don't need to buy anything. Bit of a pain to do any sort of limited, tho.
>>
>>35833403
>cheap
lmao kid
>>
>>35833950
I tried MTGO and it was clunky as fuck, not to mention that you need to buy cards on there too, making it an extra money sink.
>>
>>35833968
15 dollarydoos for over 3 hours of entertainment, plus the opportunity to win back most of the money you spent is pretty damn cheap.
>>
>>35833403
is there any MTG related merchandise i should buy for my MTG loving bf?
>>
>>35834378
What decks is he building?
>>
then i would be both lonely and poor
>>
>>35834676
It only costs 780 a year to draft, and that's assuming you draft every week and win absolutely nothing of value.
>>
>>35834523
A Commander deck.
But also trying to play with cards only from 1998 (is that autistic?)
>>
>>35834072
I'm sorry, but drafts really aren't new-player-friendly. You'll get steamrolled if you don't know autistic things like what cards are in the set, card distribution in packs, etc.
>>
>>35834865
And you'll be steamrolled if you don't bring a tier 1 deck to most constructed events. No, I don't expect noobs to be able to 3-0 every draft every time, but the goal is to have fun.

>>35834845
Is he wanting to only use cards printed in 1998, or is he fine with reprints? And, what sort of commander deck is he building?
>>
>>35834914
Not ok with re-prints.
I don't know what sort, sorry.
But thanks for the Yous anyway :)
>>
Drafts and pre-releases (Sealed?) is fun, but I never really got that much into standard, even tho it's the one I like most on paper. Nowadays I can't pull my finger out of ass to get to any events, despite that I live close to the biggest LGS in my country. Funny how that works.

Haven't played in ages anyways, all about Warhammer now
>>
>>35834970
Well, there's a prerelease coming up soon. You should go.

What city do you live in?
>>
>>35833711
>asymmetrical halves

BAAAAAH

I like the Ravinica model better
>>
>>35835006
It's to differentiate it from the split cards of Ravnica.

Although I do wish they would just bite the bullet and have double sided cards be a regular thing. They are so versatile of a concept.
>>
>>35835003

Stockholm, Swedistan.

Pretty good place for nerds actually. I might just go if I get the time for it.
I'll admit the thread made me a bit hungry for some draft action. Are you a WoC employee?
>>
>>35835056
Kek, no. I do want to become a judge, however.
>>
>>35835056
Where are you going? Dragons lair?
>>
>>35833668
I want this card, where will I be able to get it?
>>
>>35835215
Its a buy-a-box promo and probably at the dollar-rare bin a week after launch.
>>
>>35835332
bit generous

garbage dragons generally hit 20 cents quick
>>
>>35835356
It DOES have haste. It might do something in standard.
>>
>>35833668
>>35835332
>>35835356
>>35835387
it says "gameday" though, is that like the day we play standard with the new rotation? Do I have to make it far to get it?
>>
>>35835468
Oh yeah, it's not buy-a-box. The promo version is given out to the top 8 on gameday. All participants get another promo card as well.

Or, you can wait a week and pick up the normal variant for a buck.
>>
Yeah I was planning on going to this one already OP
>>
>>35836111
Where were you going to play?
>>
>>35833403
Fuck no. I play 40k and to get really into magic tou need to spend even more money.
>>
>>35836963
How is spending 15 dollars a week such a deal breaker?
>>
>>35833503
Street wraith reprint when?
>>
>>35833403
I like yugioh though
>>
>>35834072
>win back most the money
That is the biggest load of shit circulated by mtg fags. It takes way too much effort to resell your cards. When you spend money on magic cards, that's it. Your money is gone you now just have pieces of cardboard.

Just use cockatrice or something.
>>
>>35838231
Unless you are playing in your friends house, you will likely have somewhere you can hawk cards right in front of you.

Sure, you wont get 100% market value, but suck it up.
>>
I get where you're coming from, I really do, but you're missing the obvious angle that any friendly local gaming store you go to to play Magic, you can just go to to play real board and card games that aren't dinosaurs shambling around on a broken system from 1993.

If it has to be cards, play Android Netrunner, which is a beautiful asymmetrical game where there are no booster packs - instead, there are packs with set cards, so you can always build the deck you want, you just need Pack 21 and Pack 10, etc. So you aren't being scammed by a disgusting "rares" system.

Okay with board games? That's even better! We're in a board game renaissance, check out all these options! You could meet people from all sorts of diverse backgrounds, just learn when your game store does open gaming nights.
>>
>>35833403
I've considered it. But ultimately I don't fucking like people.
>>
File: image.png (141KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
141KB, 375x523px
>Tfw too scared to go to prerelease
I don't do well with people.

I mostly just play the game with my friend, he got me into card games. Mtg isn't really expensive if you play like that, you could easily make a competent deck for 30-40 dollars. Assuming your friend(s) are also cheap.

>>35833982
There are many online tcgs, mtgo is pretty shit among them actually. Mtg is more physical oriented, doesn't help that Wotc can't program for shit.

I play lots of hearthstone, but the game has gone to shit so I don't recommend getting into it. Try shadowverse or duelyst. I hear Elder scrolls legends is good too.
>>
>>35840864
I am pretty much the opposite. I don't really know anyone to just play around casually, so I pretty much have to go to the prereleases and events.

Me being a total spike doesn't help much either.
>>
File: skyla fa.jpg (310KB, 324x450px) Image search: [Google]
skyla fa.jpg
310KB, 324x450px
>>35840864
PTCG is unironically the best online cardgame even though the client crashes for some people.

I don't think there's another game that gives you the same volume of free shit. Only downside is that there's one rare card that every deck runs at least 2 of so it's worth like 25 packs online or $40-50 irl.
>>
>>35841689
IMO, I find that PTCG is the better constructed format. Though, there is a whole lot less flexibility in deck construction, and Magic will always be able to have more abilities/interesting mechanics.

It's just kind of annoying that every Pokemon deck has to essentially be a creature deck. You might be an aggro creature deck, or a control creature deck, or a combo creature deck, but you're still focusing on creatures.

Although I have never tried drafting PTCG, and I do want to. Trouble is that no one seems to run any events that I can see.
>>
File: DecodeTalker-ST17-JP-OP.png (314KB, 300x438px) Image search: [Google]
DecodeTalker-ST17-JP-OP.png
314KB, 300x438px
MAGIC SHITS GET THE FUCK OUT MAGIC IS FOR FUCKING NORMIES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>35841793
I get mad and confused whenever I see new YuGiOh cards. Is this what being old feels like?
>>
>>35838525
board games are for casuals and normalfags
>>
>>35842439
yeah same lol i played it when i was a kid but they've added like 6 rarities and 5 new card types

>>35841793
look just because no game stores are willing to host disgusting unwashed weeaboo autists doesn't mean that magic players are normal

my lgs literally had to cancel yugioh events because those unattended children were leaving horrible messes after every event

one of the employees found like half of a chicken tender from the nearby burger king stuffed behind a shelf
>>
File: 180px-VileplumeAncientOrigins3.jpg (18KB, 180x253px) Image search: [Google]
180px-VileplumeAncientOrigins3.jpg
18KB, 180x253px
>>35841758
Well, pokemon is kind of all about creatures, it wouldn't really make sense for the game to not be about the creatures, 'summoner hp' just wouldn't make sense within the context of the setting.

There should be at least a little more draw engine diversity post 2017 rotation after Shaymin leaves standard. Then in 2018 the staple draw/shuffle support cards will probably leave as well, and the ones they've printed in the SM sets so far are a lot slower which will allow for more diversity in decks.

The issue isn't necessarily that it's just creature decks, but it's almost all basic decks, evolution sucks ass because it's inherently too slow to keep up with draw 7, draw to 6, shuffle and draw 6 effects in every single deck.

Oh also this card which in combination with forest of giant plants basically turns the game into solitaire in a way I haven't seen since Pichu/Feraligatr in the Neo era.
>>
Embalm is basically flashback for creatures. You exile the card to put a token thats a copy of that card into play.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.