[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hermit life

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

i know a lot of us fantasize of leaving society and going to live in some forest completely off grid.
but for me it's not really realistic since i'm a lazy piece of shit with a lot of health issues, and i'm used to modern comfort too much.
so i decided i will try to do something kinda similar-

i live in a shitty country but i have an american citizenship.

from what i understand i can buy land pretty cheap in murica.
i want to move to america, buy a piece of land, build a shack and live there.
requirements for land:
>able to get water, electricity and fast internet connection for reasonable price.
>patch of forest/trees so i can pretend i'm an indian and shit.
>no neighbors close enough to see me/meet me/whatever.
>no more than 1 hour drive to a shopping center so i can restock on neet supplies cheaply
>not too hot, not extremely cold&snowy (i can deal with cold better i hate when it's too hot)

i plan to save up enough money to be a neet there for around 5 years and then ill probably an hero and leave it as an inheritance for some random robot.

how do i go about it?
where should i do it?
what do i have to consider?
what kind of legal stuff do i have to know? i don't want some normies coming there after a few months saying i did not pay taxes/sign papers or some stupid shit
how much do you estimate it will cost to set up?
how much do you estimate it will cost to maintain?

links to helpful sites and relevant land for sale will be appreciated
any tips&knowledge will also be appreciated

also feel free to discuss your own hermit life fantasizes/plans and post comfy pics and questions of your own
>>
File: 11115128_3_1280x1024.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
11115128_3_1280x1024.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
>>35827491
are you stupid or something, you can buy a flat in some small village in the middle of nowhere in Poland for 10k $ and then pay almost no taxes on it, and there is grocery shop in every village
https://www.otodom.pl/oferta/mieszkanie-25-m-gluszyca-gorna-ID33mRg.html#gallery[1]
pic related it costs 9k $, you pay 15$ per month for building maintenance
>>
>>35827491
your fantasy is probably about 50x as expensive as what I just said and it's less comfortable too
>>
File: 1467857614784.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1467857614784.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>35827709
i don't have polish citizenship
and i don't want neighbors, especially when i don't know their language&customs and am completely unable to deal with them.
also ill be "that weird foreigner that looks like a troll and doesn't talk to anyone or ever leaves his house or talks to anyone", and teenagers will dare each other to throw stones at my windows and set my house on fire and stuff.
>>
File: 423.jpg (331KB, 1300x700px) Image search: [Google]
423.jpg
331KB, 1300x700px
I would want to be alone on my own island, to be able to lie on a beach at night and look up the stars.
>>
>>35827793
you don't need citizenship to buy a flat, beside I guarantee you this village is full of only old people, there are only like 20 houses there, you would probably be the only young healthy man living there so if anything they should be scared of you
>>
>>35827874
but you need it to live there
>>
>>35827913
dunno where you are from, in general I don't think getting a permit or long-term visa is hard
>>
File: Sunset-At-Hunters-Cabin.jpg (68KB, 600x484px) Image search: [Google]
Sunset-At-Hunters-Cabin.jpg
68KB, 600x484px
>>35827970
i'm not from an european union country.
and i think you need to have a degree and a job offer, and all kind of stupid shit.

i really don't want to deal with normies and legal stuff especially when i don't know the language
>>
>>35827970
What happens when the oldies die out?

There are places that are extremely cheap in my country too but there is nothing there. It my sound like a dream come true but its hard work.
>>
b u m p
u o
m m
p m u b
>>
Bump for op as I'd also like to know

Op here in Ausland land can be ad cheap as like 60$ an acre in qld / a bit inland. If you invest in a good air conditioner the heat won't phase you.

Godspeed OP
>>
>>35827491
If you get injured or ill, you will die if no one stops by.
>>
>>35827491

anon you have to be very specific with yourself about where you want to live in the usa because we are a collection of states; some with very strong state, county and municipal rights that don't have very friendly laws towards people who want to "live off the grid".

Not trying to scare you away, but it's nearly impossible to exist anywhere in the usa without paying taxes, surcharges or fees/fines; even rural, middle of nowhere people.

Pick an area you like and start reading up on the state and county laws regarding utilities, taxes and municipal annexation. Many states in the usa do not differentiate between cities, towns, villages etc. it's either incorporated or unincorporated. Many incorporated areas have the right or can gain the right to make decisions for unincorporated neighboring areas -- even annex them, partition land for public use, etc. Oil and gas companies reign supreme in rural areas. There will be no dispute if they want to disturb your hermit cabin or partition and sell off land. It's like the old saying, they dont make land anymore. surface usage, right of way, wildlife management designations, protected biomes, blah blah blah, it's all bs
>>
>>35827709
I'm getting my polish passport (grandparents) and moving here once I have enough money.

All I need is high speed internet.
>>
>>35827709
Feels interesting to get out from the sandniggers hell hole my country is becoming. Would a polish QT accept to live there too though?
>>
>>35830569
haha no, qties only want to live in big city
>>
>>35827491
wait for 3d printed houses anon
>>
I've been investigating this a lot, OP and after reading up on it, have come to some conclusions.

It's probably better to just get a cheap, gridded home on the outskirts of a city rather than do the work of getting permits, running sewers, or dealing with water deliveries, sceptic tanks, or whatever. As you said, if you're close to the city, you really have big advantages like grocery stores, emergency services, etc.

Buying a place may seem more expensive, but for a comfy life, nothing beats it. And depending on where you are, you can find a home for under 30k. Hell, I saw a 2br one near my area for 18k that needed work.

And speaking of bedrooms, it would help a great deal to have at least one other room since you can probably rent it out for extra cash. That alone would pay your utilities and internet.

But, no matter what you do, the biggest problem is not getting somewhere to live, it's getting a steady side income to pay for the little things in life. Even if you cut to the bone, you'll still have to pay property taxes, insurance, and health care.

The Poland idea sounds reasonable, but it'll be a bitch if you ever have to move back to the US for any reason. You may become financially trapped there. Besides, there are places in the US that are pretty cheap, mostly in the southeast. (West coast and NE would be too expensive). You want to look at state income tax, property tax rates, etc.

I have more info, any interest in this, should I continue?
>>
>>35829895
implying anyone would stop by at my apartment if i lived in a city.
>>35830139
i have no idea how these things work in america so that's why i made this thread so maybe someone who knows can tell me about relevant locations.
>>35830660
i'm not planning on living somewhere totally secluded, i just want an area i can do whatever i want in and do stupid cringey childish shit and never have to deal with anyone seeing me/watching me.

like if someone lives 15 minutes walk from me and he had infrastructure stretched to his location then it wont cost that much to stretch it to mine, right?

i don't really want to buy a house since i really like the idea of making it my own project from 0 and knowing everything is new and i made it.
also i don't need a full house, i really just need a bedroom/kitchen and a bathroom. kinda like a studio style apartment.
i would consider just buying a trailer and putting it there but i like the idea of a wooden house i made myself.

there is no way i'm living with a roommate, this is gonna be my temple of seclusion.

it would be nice if i found a way to get a steady passive income to support this, but it's not realistic.
as i said, i plan on saving enough money to do this for about 5 years and then ill off myself.

if i had citizenship and knew the language&customs then east europe would be great, but i don't.

i would love for you to continue
>>
what country are you in ? in most 3rd world countries you could easily rent some land off a farmer and build a cabin. besides, it will be ridiculously cheap, you could go much longer
>>
>>35830569
>Would a polish QT accept to live there too though?
No, of course not, she wants to go to a) America, b) UK/Germany, c) other Western Europe, d) Krakow/Warsaw
>>
>>35831541
Do you even have the know-how to build this house yourself? And I'm pretty sure building codes exist even out in rural areas. Though with a small house, I don't think you'd have too much issue with that.

This isn't simple shit man. And it varies from state to state. You're prolly gonna need to pick a state and look into it yourself.
I've wanted to do this too, but without a good income I don't see it ever happening. Buying the land itself isn't too much of an issue so long as you're only buying a couple of acres, it's all the government bullshit that comes with trying to build a house and getting utilities.

And all of that varies from state to state. Living is neither easy nor cheap.
>>
>>35831859
>in most 3rd world countries you could easily rent some land off a farmer and build a cabin
>what the fuck are building permits
>>
I plan on buying and moving on 150acres within 2 years, willing to allow anons to part their trailor or tent and live ina community with me, only have to help me pay incom tax (aprox 400 a year) reply if interested ill use this correct 2 years til i get it somewhat as vetting
>>
>>35831859
israel
please don't turn this into a jew/middle east conflict thread.

>>35831904
i wont necessarily build it myself but i want to plan it myself and know it's all new and mine.

what state do you recommend?
>>
>>35832003
Be careful not to hire a German plumber.
>>
>>35827491
>>able to get water, electricity and fast internet connection for reasonable price.

You cannot have those demands. It's not going to happen.

Also fuck the internet. If I were to go hermit, I'd take a bunch of books to keep me occupied and go completely offline.

Do you or don't you want to escape society?
>>
>>35832003
Dunno, US is pretty damn big, and even within a state geography can be pretty varied.

A lot of cheap land right now is in Texas, but Texas can get hot as fuck. Texas is pretty big though, so maybe you can find somewhere more temperate.

I would decide what kind of geography and weather you want first. Arizona is pretty mountainous, so it's great if you like living around mountains, but it can get hot as fuck, it barely rains but when it does it fucking floods, and the wildlife will try to kill you.

But places like Colorado are cold as fuck, can have really uneven terrain possibly making it difficult to build a house, and the wildlife will still try to kill you. Just not as many creepy crawlies as Arizona.

You have to decide what you're okay with and what you're not. Then look for land in areas that have those things.
>>
>>35832131
Electricity probably won't be too much of an issue, though I'd buy a generator in case there's a storm or something.

Fast internet aint gonna happen though. You'd have to get satellite.
And water, I really don't know anything about. I just find it hard to believe everyone in rural America has wells on their land. And what do they do for sewage?
>>
>>35831916
>implying a fuck is given
lol
>>
>>35832131
why not? as i said, i'm not looking to go somewhere completely cut off of civilization, i just want a big private plot of land with no normies in sight.
i don't mind if someone lives 15 minutes walk from my house.
originally i was fantasizing on moving to the middle of no where in alaska and going full cave man mode, but i came to realize i'm too lazy and have too many health issues and also i'm too used to the comfort and distractions of modern society to do that.
i plan on pretending doing stupid survival shit on my property, but i can only do it so much. i need my internet, vidya, and movies.
>>35832163
i kinda described what i'm looking for in the OP
>>35832270
i don't really have much knowledge on how to get connected to the internet but from my response to >>35832131 do you reckon it's possible?
for sewage ill use a septic tank or a outhouse.
>>
File: Neuschwanstein-Castle.jpg (683KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
Neuschwanstein-Castle.jpg
683KB, 1000x666px
>>35827491
>ywn live isolated from the world in a hilltop castle
>>
File: zen5.jpg (19KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
zen5.jpg
19KB, 400x225px
>>35827491
i have been considering a sailboat hermit life
>>
>>35831541
Ok, I'll continue. (Sorry for the delay, I thought the thread was dead)

At least in my mind, this type of escape-society project is hard enough without adding in more complexity. I understand that you want to build something yourself, but I've done even smaller projects than that and, lemme tell you, it's a bitch, especially if you're new to it. This is why I recommended that you buy. It doesn't have to be a full-blown house, it's just that over time, condos/apartments can be more expensive, since there is monthly maintenance fees which will always go up.

I get that you don't want room-mates, it was just a suggestion because incoming cash is going to be your number one problem.

So, where to choose to live? If it's in the US, look at the top most affordable cities:

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-affordable-housing-markets-in-the-us-2016-9/

Ignore Detriot, to me that's too scary. Let's take Cleveland as an example and break down costs, since it's near the top of the list. Here's an example place:

www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1182-E-147th-St_Cleveland_OH_44110_M41245-28528

A total of 6300 to purchase, but it looks like it needs some fixups, so lets say another 3000 for fixups, new carpet installation and paint. Call it 10k total.

(cont'd)
>>
>>35833455
With this setup, you'd probably need to make ballpark 15k per year to make a go of things. How much would you need investment-wise for that? Assuming about 6% return, that's over 200k, which is pretty steep for a lot of people. What to do?

Now, let's look at an alternative place, same city:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1753-Collamer-Ave_East-Cleveland_OH_44112_M48316-27041

It's more expensive at nearly 10k plus rehab costs, but the key here is that it has 2 units, one for you and one for a tenant. According to hotpads.com, rents around that area are about 500-600, but let's call it 500. You'll probably want to pretend like you're a renter too, so get a management company to handle all of the rents. They generally charge 10%, so you'd be making about $450 / month just by living there ($5400 / year). That's enough to pay taxes, insurance, internet, and maybe even some of the utility bills.

Now, that 15k per year expenses is now only about 10k, so your investment dollars can be lower, a little over 150k. But, if that's still not good enough, maybe get a second duplex for another 10k which pulls in another 900 / month (450 for each unit). You're income is now 450*3*12, over 16k per year.

Now, it's not perfect. you still have to do fixups on the houses (which comes out of the rent) and deal with vacancy issues, but you buy enough of these types of places, you could get a reasonable life going. And, add a part-time gig to that, even at $10 per hour, you're doing better than a lot of people.
>>
>>35833713
Anyway, this type of "house hacking" seems to me the most powerful escape plan I've found. And, you can buy places like this even before you're ready to move and just collect the rental income in the meantime. But there are some downsides.

First, it doesn't work everywhere. If the housing market is going gangbusters in an area, the prices may be out of reach.

Secondly, the income from them is variable. Someone moves out, the roof leaks, things like this can take a bite out of your plan. So, having some savings, investments, or part-time work is probably advisable.

You can run these numbers on any city, though, to see how well they work. Again, though, looking at a top 10 list is probably the best way to find the likely candidates.

Another site I use is numbeo.com, which allows you to see and compare cost of living for a giant list of cities.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Cleveland
>>
>>35833042
Thats a bretty big castle
>>
>>35832002

this thread makes me happythat im not alone
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.