[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I solve existential depression?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

File: UGHHH.png (21KB, 736x616px) Image search: [Google]
UGHHH.png
21KB, 736x616px
How do I solve existential depression?
>>
drugs, suicide, lobotomy
>>
>>35824063
escapism
Doesn't much matter what form you choose.
Normies will try to take your method of choice away from you too.
Death is the real answer anyways.
>>
File: gunbysandler.jpg (31KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
gunbysandler.jpg
31KB, 400x600px
you know how, anon
you just don't want to know
>>
>>35824063
Bumping because please send help
>>
File: happy-balls.jpg (58KB, 1195x900px) Image search: [Google]
happy-balls.jpg
58KB, 1195x900px
Learn to be OK with the fact that everything is meaningless, your life has no purpose, and you are going to die and then cease to exist forever.
>>
>>35824250
this movie was actually really surprising and deep until they rammed that "it was a dream" bullshit in there at the end
>>
File: 1490165767558.png (729KB, 1416x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1490165767558.png
729KB, 1416x1204px
>>35824063
By not being underage.
>>
File: r2smrt2win.jpg (94KB, 639x782px) Image search: [Google]
r2smrt2win.jpg
94KB, 639x782px
>>35824289
I definitely enjoyed parts of it, which was indeed surprising, wouldn't rate it good+, even without the bullshit ending though
>tfw I jammed the ff button years on my remote years ago
>at least the ride will end sooner
>>
>>35824315
what prompted this response? existence magically starts making sense as an adult or you become apathetic to the horrors of existence with age?
>>
File: No more.jpg (18KB, 600x238px) Image search: [Google]
No more.jpg
18KB, 600x238px
>>35824271
This, please send help.
>>
>>35824063
Psychedelic drugs, antidepressants and cognitive-behavioral therapy. In that order
>>
>>35824362
The second one, I think.
I never got the first part, magically or otherwise.
>>
File: 1488580515062.jpg (25KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1488580515062.jpg
25KB, 346x346px
>>35824362
>Existence magically starts making sense as an adult

No, that's the point, it never makes sense. We all go through an existential crisis in our early teens and we never arrive at a satisfying conclusion so we push it to the back of our minds until we gain new insight into the matter. It's pointless to fret over it since you will never have enough information to definitively put the issue to rest so people either accept it's a journey with no visible end in sight or they make up a purpose and cling to it in hopes of salvation. If you are not underage then that means you either a) failed to stop focusing on it b) accepted conclusion that is detrimental to your mental well being or c) don't have the ability to find a purpose for yourself. I find it hard to believe someone would go this many years without getting this out of the way.
>>
Hey. All depressions are the same. remember it's something happening inside your brain that causes you to feel bad. It's nature. And you wont feel like that forever. Cut down on shit food. Eat carrots and nuts. Soon you'll feel allright.
>>
>>35824362
Yes to both.

oregano
>>
>>35824644
explain the part that makes sense to you, please.

>>35824490
life is a journey that has a very visible end in sight. i am curious how you are comfortable with committing to this journey that has no purpose.
>>
>>35824720
>Life is a journey that has a very visible end in sight

I wasn't referring to life, I was referring to the search for true knowledge of existence and our place in the world. No, it is not the same thing. Animals don't contemplate the nature of the world, they simply are.

>I am curious how you are comfortable with committing to this journey that has no purpose

I don't really have a lot of options do I? I either think about it or I don't. Regardless, even if this journey is truly pointless and nothing matters and everything we hold dear is but dust in the wind, so what? What does accepting or denying this change? You are free to accept your own worldview or someone else's but regardless the choice the world goes on. We can either choose to continue on living or die. You are asking me why I choose to go on. Because it's more difficult to go on than to die. I can experience things and contemplate while alive, which I find gratifying. You always have the choice though, but there is really no reason to think killing yourself is any better a choice.
>>
>>35824882
so, you do have meaning. the search for true knowledge of existence and your place in the world along with the chance to experience different things is gratifying enough for you to want to be alive. it makes sense that you don't think about it if you have created a meaning of your own.

i question whether it's really more difficult to go on than to die. it may last longer, but is it really more difficult for you if you have things that satisfy you? i would suggest that it would be much more difficult for you (you, personally) to kill yourself than to keep on living.

>so what?
so, if a person is suffering without reason or purpose, then existence makes much less sense and the chance to "experience things" takes on a different meaning.
>>
yo guys, latley I'm really not sure if my the state im in is pathologic or If everything is still cool.

I don't want to spam this thread but if you guys are down with it I'd love a opinion.
>>
>>35824063
religion is the answer here
>>
>>35824063
It turns out that every single state of being is infinitely beautiful - even (or especially) the saddest of them. Oftentimes just not to the one currently experiencing it, unfortunately.
>>
>>35825077
Not a doctor, have been insane for many years.
AMA if you'd like.
>>
>>35824063
Smoalk (smoke alkaloids) dmt
>>
>>35825170
Not him, but me
>>35824348
>>35824370
>>
>>35825040
>it would be much more difficult for you personally to kill yourself than to keep on living

This is true. I have found (or if you prefer, created) a purpose for my own life. It's one of the only options we really have.

>I question whether it's really more difficult to go on than to die

As much I would prefer to live I could die in the next hour from a heart attack or from falling off the third story. In the vast number of planets in the universe only a relatively small percentage can even hope to harbor life. Life is a difficult state to achieve and maintain as it is so vulnerable and can be snuffed out at a moments notice.

>if a person is suffering without reason or purpose, then existence makes much less sense

Fucked up things happen for no reason at all. Suffering is a fact of life. This does not make it easier for the person experiencing it.

>the chance to "experience things" takes on a different meaning

The idea of suffering for the rest of your days for no reason is a terrifying situation to find yourself in as a sapient and sentient creature. The desire to move away from pain and the idea that death will be a release from pain is a logical conclusion that these kinds of creatures make. I have no problem discussing philosophy but I am not a psychologist or a religious official. I can't offer advice or give reasons for you personally to go on.

>>35825095
It's an option.

>>35825153
If everything is beautiful then there is no difference or margin by which we can determine something to be beautiful and the term loses all meaning.
>>
>>35825153
this is pretty much what i thought as a teenager. eventually, enough unhappiness turns most things ugly in a very real way.
>>
>>35825290
You're right. It can't be measured against itself. It's a part of the One, the Light, Love, God - whatever you want to call it. It's the Infinity of existence - I've seen it. >>35825310 I have seen it and I can promise you it's real. Even within my own life. Like I said, it's very rare for those to whom it is happening to see it, but it is.
>>
>>35825290
> It's one of the only options we really have.
i think it's the only option we have. i have asked this question in various places and those who claim that they are happy to just live their lives with no purpose or meaning always reveal that they actually have created a meaning for themselves, often with the "journey is more important than the destination" idea playing a central role.

>As much would prefer
we were talking about choosing to live or die. obviously, any life could end at any moment and that's part of the reality of existence.

>Suffering is a fact of life.
yes, and it is an important one if you are choosing whether or not you should continue to live.

>I can't offer advice or reasons for you personally to go on
i didn't think so. now, maybe you can revise what you said at the start of the conversation, where you assumed that OP must be underage. (he might be and i am not him but i always think it's kind of insulting for those who have created a purpose for themselves to condescend to those who haven't been able to do it.)
>>
>>35825170

super shitty child hood and all that usualy shit made me a "special" person.

I allways thought I grew stronger with shit but latley I don't know anymore.

I used to be alone alot and I liked it. nowadays I am alone most of the time. my latest "hang up" is that I don't really want to talk to people anymore.not even the few that I consider friends. I feel like everything has been said and at this point we are just moving in circles telling each other what we allready know so we feel better about our selfes.
I don't want to be angry anymore at anybody. I just don't want to have anything to do with them.
like really, In a sense I want to leave society.
I don't think I fit in and so I think I should go.

I am quite passionate about my hobbys. either passionate or obsessive.
I think I might spend a lot of time with my hobbies to further alienate my selfe.
I like to work out. I like to ride my bike. I like to go hiking and camping. those are all thing I do alone. and I love the feeling of beeing alone in the woods with nobody around.
out there I feel like I actually escaped society and can stop existing as a person.
that's enjoyable in a very quite sense.

when I'm not out and about I read up about all kinds of shit. whenever I talk to people I feel like they are terrible imitations of a person.
I know more about their "hobbies" than they do.
it's unbearable. and I get sort of angy but at the same time I feel like I am the problem and as I said early I think I should just leave them.

I don't know anymore if I'm happy or sad.
>>
>>35825367
Let me add to this, real quick, that if I were ever in any large amount of pain or discomfort, I'd off myself in a heartbeat. No question and no qualms about that.
>>
>>35825367
>I have seen it and I can promise you it's real. Even within my own life. Like I said, it's very rare for those to whom it is happening to see it, but it is
as i said, i did see it that way when i was younger. it was a comforting illusion and a nice rationalization for suffering. now, after over a decade of constant unhappiness, that beauty does not exist, even in the things that should be easy to find beautiful.
>>
>>35825436
>choosing to live or die
You could believe that humans are preprogrammed to prefer life over death, that the positive experiences and primal desire to continue living to spread our genes drive us onward, and that those who commit suicide are overriding their self preservation instinct due to heavy negative stimulus, thus making life the easier choice. But life is long and life is hard. Having to go years and years in a situation where you will experience multiple hardships without any real security in the overall scheme of the universe or your continued state of survival is not something to be taken lightly. If someone is in the horrible situation you describe, would not living be the more difficult choice? Does the choice we are predisposed to take make it the easy choice?

>Maybe you can revise what you said
Fuck off.
>I always think it's kind of insulting
I don't care.
>those who have created a purpose for themselves to condescend
I worded it that way because I figured op was still young and still had time to find a purpose or choose some other path I am unaware of. I find it impossible to believe he made it this far without this fundamental building block. If he really is that old, he needs to get his shit together because what he is doing now clearly isn't working.
>>
>>35825485
Yeah, and that's totally fine. But still, it doesn't always have to be beautiful to YOU, you know? More like... The average of the collective of Us.
>>
File: ctawooo.jpg (281KB, 900x891px) Image search: [Google]
ctawooo.jpg
281KB, 900x891px
>>35825461
I have painfully and consciously separated myself from everyone too. I think we're very similar in a lot of ways.
Do you either feel like a hollow shell going through the motions or too intense for living around humans?
Can't recommend the outdoors and taking breaks from smartphones/internet enough; it sounds like a meme but for people who are uncomfortable around people it's heaven once you get past the initial twitchiness.
>>
>>35824225
this anon knows what he's talking about. You're not truly a robot until you've devolved into a being who's only capable of escapist fatnasies to distract him from how horrible the real world is
>>
>>35826507
you're not truly a robot until escapism no longer works for you.
>>
>>35824063
You can't be depressed if you're not ugly.
>>
>>35826538
Where do you think you are right now, originally?
Escapism works in mysterious ways.
>>
File: Alan-Watts.jpg (1MB, 2267x1588px) Image search: [Google]
Alan-Watts.jpg
1MB, 2267x1588px
By using it as a spark to wake up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCpA6rgvb7Q

If you're serious about this then at least give it a short listen, I assure you 100% you won't be disappointed.
>>
>>35824063

pro tip; you dont

enjoy your temporal existence
>>
File: 121267512635322.jpg (92KB, 690x690px) Image search: [Google]
121267512635322.jpg
92KB, 690x690px
>>35826654
I'll add that this goes for everyone in this thread, Watts is easy to pass off as a nutjob but only by those who haven't listened to what he has to say.
>>
become an absurdist pleb
>>
File: mabRf.jpg (513KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
mabRf.jpg
513KB, 2048x1366px
>>35824063
ez pz bby grl
>>
>>35826654
>>35826687
a family member tried to get me to listen to watts. i really don't "get" him. i can't remember exactly what the lecture was about but a few weeks ago i tried listening and i got about 30 minutes into it and all i had were questions and criticisms. it felt more like new age abstraction that is more likely to help people who don't really care about details.

does he ever actually get down to clearly defining things or this kind of antithetical to his whole point of view and mode of expression?
>>
>>35824063
Stop caring. orignaity
>>
>>35824063
You can't. It's a sliding scale with terror on one end and apathy on the other. But at least I stopped feeling lonely after getting on this ride.
>>
File: going with the flow.jpg (499KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
going with the flow.jpg
499KB, 2048x1536px
>>35826862
You have no idea.

The anti-religion stuff is just the opening, keep in mind he was making these recordings in the 60s-70s, when people were swayed far more at their core by those things. You need to listen to him in whole to hear the whole thing obviously, and even if it seems slow to get he always gets back to his main point in every lecture. It's the only experience I've had of sudden understanding of everything, and I know that sounds retarded but there's no other way of putting it. I found the feelings before I found Watts but he just writes it out and makes it understandable. And if you need any motivation it was these recordings that made me completely drop my plans for suicide and totally content with living as a terminally ill physically deformed loser.

You'll just need to hold your nose and take the plunge if you want to get what I'm talking about.
>>
>>35826964
>I found the feelings before I found Watts but he just writes it out and makes it understandable.
see, i was wondering if this was the problem. i don't have an ounce of "spirituality" (or whatever you might want to call it) in me at this point and i'm also stubborn and have a hard time changing my point of view unless i find a very good reason to.

>it was these recordings that made me completely drop my plans for suicide and totally content with living as a terminally ill physically deformed loser.
that's encouraging. maybe i'll try again. could you possibly give a brief overview of his main points, maybe the one or two most important ones, just so i have more of a context when listening?

and what is the best lecture to begin with? the one posted above?
>>
>>35826964
>and totally content with living as a terminally ill physically deformed loser.
And mentally retarded, if his bullshit has any effect on you. Sadly it doesn't work on people with functional brains.
>>
>>35825761

I described my selfe as a "humanshaped brick" to a friend.
it's kind of fitting.

I think smartphones/socail media is a good example.
it really dosen't effect me in the slightest.
I've watched my flatmate go into a facebook browsing frenzy atleast 100 times.
i get 0 enjoyment out of stuff like this.
it's like this is made for people and I'm apperently just not people.

like a dogwhistle that dosen't work on humans.
>>
>>35827084
He talks about spirituality but it's not what you think, once you get it it'll just seem like logical interpretation of science. Really what he means by it is that these thoughts come from many aspects of Eastern Philosophy and metaphysics, which I at first was to apprehensive about. I'll let you in on the big point but I'll do it simply and trying not to sound too crazy, and that is that all of this, including you, is the same thing. Now that will either seem to you like boring new age dribble or full blown schizophrenia but just think for a second what implications and processes would lead to someone thinking that. Even what I'm saying doesn't come close to capturing what I'm trying to say, but I know what I mean and all I want is for others to know the same. Really the only thing that stops so many people, including me, is that is sounds like bullshit at first, but you if give one a listen, maybe another or two more you'll start seeing it. And I can say with certainty that by the end of it all you can do is chuckle to yourself and then go on living.

I'll also put my reputability on the line and say that cannabis can help if you can get it with going into this with the right mindset, if only because it makes you more susceptible to creative and abstract thinking.

But if that's not your thing then an open mindset and the willingness to crtitcally think about your own experience in reltion to these things is the same deal. Just be ur positive self and give it a go, at the very worst you waste a couple of hour and go back to being miserable.
>>
>>35827331
Then please go on about why these things are wrong and your things are right, I'm open to changing my mind about things.
>>
>>35827439
If it works for you, that's great, why would you want to pop the bubble and be perpetually unhappy like me?
>>
>>35827404
thank you for the response. i will try to listen with an open mind and see if it changes my perspective at all. like you said, i don't have anything to lose except a few hours that i would be wasting anyway. and even if it doesn't change anything, maybe a break from negativity would be good for me.
>>
>>35827457
Tell me why you're unhappy.
>>
>>35824063
Read either the Holy Bible or Albert Camus. Nietzsche can help as well if you want to stick to nihilism.
>>
>>35827536
>Nietzsche can help as well if you want to stick to nihilism
are you fucking stupid?
>>
I like to be in the ocean for that.

I got my scuba divers license last summer, because the one place nobody can ever reach you, is underwater.

You can't get phone calls about useless shit, nobody can talk to you, you don't have to worry about work or being anywhere, all the exhausting minutiae of adult life just melts away

It's just you and the sea life, floating weightless in a universe of water.

Being weightless also really helps my back and knee problems
>>
>>35826653
>>35826507
>>35826687

these guys know.

heroin, lsd, VR and a ton of computer games and weed. not sure how long it will last but I spend every day like it is my last
>>
>>35826654
Man I'm at the point where I've listened to pretty much all the Alan watts lectures there are, have had them help for a while, then get depressed again, and listened to them all over again, etc...

And from my listenings, I know exactly the cycle I'm in, he speaks about it many times, but knowing that I know that I know it's a cycle doesn't help
>>
File: 1427455684544.jpg (70KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1427455684544.jpg
70KB, 1024x768px
You die

or turn 23 where you stop caring about it as much
>>
>>35828326
I just turned 24 and I started caring about it again about half a year ago

I think it's because I started my first 'real' job last May, and I had the sudden realization that this could be my life for the next 40 years and I hate it
>>
File: 1480918542470.png (1MB, 1381x1055px) Image search: [Google]
1480918542470.png
1MB, 1381x1055px
>recently started thinking about how there's absolutely nothing to my being
>I don't have any real hobbies
>I don't have any real interests
>nothing I want to do
>emotions aren't there until they are and then I'm crying
>will cut contact with whoever I talk to eventually, no exceptions
>literally no friends, no one I actually talk to
>even my family just talks at me

I'm not sure if I've worded this right because I'm honestly, not sure how to put it into words. It's a crippling feeling and I don't know how to change it, I'm just wallowing in it and just want it to go away, yet don't know how to make it do so. I've also started getting panic attacks again recently which I think might be related to this. It's like all I am is a receptacle made to sit, listen, observe, and absorb other peoples words, actions, opinions, and ideas. That's all I'm good for and all I've ever been good for, just silently listening to other people and acknowledging what they say so they know I'm listening.

There's just nothing at all to me as a person, not even in the sense of individuality or something, but just the things that make a person human I don't even have.
>>
>>35828491
There's nothing wrong with being an observer, anon. Trust me. If anything, it's truly the patrician choice. You can absorb a concentrated extract of all things good without having to deal with as much of the shit, imo.

Still, if you want to talk to somebody, drop contact info and I'll talk to you daily, or else as much as you'd like~

I'm here for you. For anything and everything that you. I love you. With all of my heart.
>>
>>35828882
>You can absorb a concentrated extract of all things good without having to deal with as much of the shit, imo.
It doesn't really work that way, at least for me. It's more or less just taking everything in and letting it ferment until I drains of its own accord, leaving concentrated pieces of everything that's stuck to the side of the barrel.

>Still, if you want to talk to somebody, drop contact info and I'll talk to you daily, or else as much as you'd like~
I mean I'll try talk, but I'm not sure how well it'll go. Sorry in advance if it wasn't worth your time.
dirt#4580 on Discord
>>
>>35824063
It's like when you do something fun, eventually it stops being fun. You've had enough, you can come back for it anytime.

Life, though, there's only one shot. That's what makes it beautiful - every thought, feeling and sight. It's yours. Your unique insight to the universe. Every chirp of the birds, the wind sighing in the trees.

It's fucking beautiful, man. And if death weren't a threat I don't know if I'd stop to appreciate it.
On a side note does anyone have archive link to anon getting cucked by his dad?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170327-074745.png (105KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170327-074745.png
105KB, 1440x2560px
>>35829173
I still want to talk to you
>>
>>35829173
>>35829222
Aha! I was doing it wrong like a dummy! I found you~
>>
File: 50caliberasprin.png (153KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
50caliberasprin.png
153KB, 500x333px
>>35824063
The way you phrase that makes it sound like you have a solution in mind already.
Anyway just deal with it how one deals with regular old depression. Cognitive-behavioral therapy would be a good place to start.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.