[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is English a shit tier language? How does it truly compare to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: english-is-important-7-728.jpg (63KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
english-is-important-7-728.jpg
63KB, 728x546px
Is English a shit tier language? How does it truly compare to other languages?

For those that only speak English, do you ever think that you would have a different life (all else being equal) if you grew up speaking another tongue entirely?

Are robots only as autistic as their syntax allows? Please discuss.
>>
>>35821743
English is the best language because of the sheer amount things it can describe with its relatively simple grammatical rules and its relatively small alphabet. There is a reason that Mandarin isn't the Lingua Franca of the world, despite China's massive population and geographical size. It's too complicated. Too many characters in the alphabet. Your fluency in Mandarin is often defined by the amount of characters that you can recognize, and its difficulty is amplified by the fact that it is a tonal language.
>>
English is tied with Vietnamese and Mandarin for information density per syllable. So, overall, it's not bad.
Phonentically it's stupid but not as excessive as it's made out to be, japanese, french, korean, arabic, and turkish are all just as bad if not worse.
Grammatically, english is impossibly simple. Total declension in the language means you don't need to memorize case differences in verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. The only ones needed are posessives and tenses.

The only sacrifice english makes in the sense of being a "good" language is such strict word ordering. Particularly when involved in long descriptions of things. Notably: Opinion Size Shape Condition Age Color Pattern Origin Material Purpose Noun.
The beautiful tiny round old brown striped italian steel spoon makes sense.
The round old brown italian steel beautiful tiny striped spoon, doesn't.

It is an ideal lingua-franca, taking little time and understanding to speak and understand, but an eternity to fully understand the nuances of.
>>
>>35821743
Ease of use aside, I just don't like how English sounds. There are worse sounding languages for sure, but English still isn't nice. I'd say English is like middle of the line in terms of how attractive it sounds. My least favorite language for sounds has probably got to be Chinese. Japanese might be number one, but French is nice too. This is just an essay on languages from someone who understands very little on linguistics... I feel dumb .-.
>>
>>35821871
Don't all languages have a nuance that can take an eternity to understand the nuances? Does English's relative ease cheapen its literature?
>>
>Does English's relative ease cheapen its literature?
EVEN A NATIVE SPEAKER REQUIRES MULTIPLE READS TO UNDERSTAND CLASSIC ENGLISH LITERATURE
>>
English is the language of memes.
>>
>>35822272
I agree, English is a very vanilla sounding language, but that could just be a function of how immersed we are in it. It also tends to sound rather staccato, given all the influences it has absorbed from other languages.
>>
Spanish is English but easier to pronounce. Letters are pronounced only one way, unlike english long and short vowels and such
>>
>>35822390
This is categorically false in every conceivable way. It doesn't even come from the same language branch
>>
I would love Latin to reutrn in auge.
Even the mid ages ones.

>All Western world beside Germany has a easy time learning it.
>It has literature.
>language of culture for centuries.
>Defines normies from higher beings.
>Learning it during your highschool teaches you the best way of studying anything.
>>
>>35821871
>The beautiful tiny round old brown striped italian steel spoon makes sense.
>The round old brown italian steel beautiful tiny striped spoon, doesn't.

What the fuck you are doing some fucking witchcraft
>>
>>35822281
>Does English's relative ease cheapen its literature?
No, thanks in particular to the aforementioned adjective chain.
Same with Russian, though Russian still has proper cases.

>>35822491
Little taught but well known rule of english. If you're native you'll probably never have noticed. If you're foreign you'll probably have understood both equally-ish well.
>>
>>35822281
tell that to shakespeare
>>
>>35821861
>English is the best language because of the sheer amount things it can describe with its relatively simple grammatical rules and its relatively small alphabet.

English absolutely does not have a simple grammar. We have numerous lexical categories that don't exist in other languages, and provide a level of depth that is arguably unnecessary. By comparison, Japanese grammar seems like something a caveman would come up with.

Our alphabet is also complete shit. English is not a phonemic language. There are dozens of ways to pronounce any given vowel, and no indicators of when and why vowels change from one phoneme to another. Very few languages on the planet have this issue. Russian and French are the only ones that immediately come to mind, but even those are more phonemic than English.
>>
>>35821871
>tfw intuitive native understanding of the world language
I guess it's not all bad
>>
>>35822272
Blame amerifats, listen to british accent, its sweet and clear.
>>
>>35821743
The syntax isn't very logically laid out is the problem. The phonetics are also very inconsistent.

Take split infinitives. To boldly go. You'd think this is acceptable because the adverb is with the verb, like gracefully swimming.

But, to go is an infinitive and must stay intact. To go boldly. Then how would you write something innocuous like 'she seems to really like it'?

Then you have things like being able to phonetically spell fish 'ghoti', enouGH etc etc.

I'm a native speaker and even I concede that it's pretty awful. But atleast we don't have fucking gendered nouns.
>>
>>35823005
>british accent

Which one? There isn't a single ubiquitous accent for the U.K.

They all sound like shit anyway. Australian is even worse.
>>
>>35823120
Most likely the BBC accent that nobody speaks.
>>
I speak spanish and english and I like english much more. I find it more comfortable to use. It has shorter words and it sounds cooler.

I live in a spanish speaking country and I spend all my time on the net, so communication with my peers is hard sometimes because there's a lot of expressions I'd like to use that I don't know how to translate, but I hardly ever struggle to find my way with words in english. It's just a better language in general.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.