[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who else here /linux/?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

who else here /linux/?
>>
>>35786614
I dualboot memebuntu and windows 7 because I have an old thinkpad and memebuntu is a lot faster, but I play meme of legends on windows, and surprisingly get 100+ fps.
>>
i am currently running gnu plus linux plus xubuntu
>>
>>35786614
were you the faggot who was making the n64 game
>>
>>35786682
Nope. I almost never make new threads
>>
Right here.
After using some easy-peasy linux distros for the past 2 years I am now planning to install Gentoo, I've been reading up on it all week, wish me luck.
>>
Why use a meme OS that doesn't even have spotify or netflix or games or photoshop?
>>
>>35786955
>spotify or netflix or games or photoshop?
What do I need that for when I have all the chinese cartoons at my fingertips?
>>
>>35786955
All the games I had on windows were available for linux, and netflix works now. I have another computer for photoshop and I don't use spotify
>>
File: loonux.jpg (654KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
loonux.jpg
654KB, 1440x900px
here

>>35786955
netflix has been a thing on linux for years now
>>
how do I install Linux?
>>
>>35786955
>netflix
runs on chrome and firefox
>photoshop
never used it, dont need it
>spotify
dont use it
>muh GAYMENS
dont play games and haven't for over 10 years
>>
>>35787064
Download an ISO, dump it on a USB drive, plug the USB drive in the computer, choose to boot from USB drive and there you go.
>>
>>35787064
wright the iso on a USB, boot it and follow the simple steps

most linux distributions are easy as pie now
>>
>>35787108
>>35787129
thank my dudes
>>
>>35787068
why do you have steam then liar fagg
>>
>>35787157
im not OP, i would never install valve botnet onto my comp
>>
Yes, I use linux occasionally but I'm not a massive faggot about it like OP
>>
Yes I use linux on one of my computers, but I do not use fedora, or make a gay desktop like that.
>>
>>35786955
>doesn't even have spotify
Yes it does
https://www.spotify.com/fi/download/linux/
>netflix
Works in the browser
>games
Games are for manchildren, but there are quite a lot of games available for linux
>or photoshop
I'll give you this one

t: Macbook Pro user
>>
>tfw still remember emerging Gentoo back when I was still a clueless nerd with cum stains on my T-shirt

I miss those days :(

My life has been a downwards spiral from that time onwards.
>>
>>35787213
>Games are for manchildren
no they aren't
>>
>>35787227
found the buttmad manchild gaymer
>>
>>35786904

Gentoo in 2017 is a meme. I used to use it a long time ago. It's really not worth it these days. The project is not even taken that seriously any more.

I would recommend Arch Linux instead.
>>
>>35787231
t. weeb

oregano
>>
>>35787248
nt but i do not watch anime

anime fags disgust me
>>
>>35787108
>>35787129

What happens when the USB stops working?
>>
>>35787227

Stopped gaming when I was 18. Never felt like going back. I'm 24 now. Games are truly for man children.
>>
Had to reinstall kernels today because the broken nvidia package ruined everything.
Never again update without btrfs snapshot first.
>>
File: IMG_20170325_233045.png (69KB, 1080x430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_233045.png
69KB, 1080x430px
Disability to notice and ignore bait is a sign of autism.
Linuxposters = autists
>>
>>35787269

What do you mean? You get a USB. You empty it. You put a Live Distro on it using Rufus or similar.

You boot from USB, might need to press some buttons to get in the boot menu during bootup.

Eventually you get the installation menu for Linux.

It's super easy.
>>
>>35787269
Depends on what exactly you were doing with it at the time it stops working.
>>
>>35787247
I want Gentoo because I want to see how far I can optimize my crappy laptop.
>>
>>35787301
It has advantages and disadvantages anon. There's never black and white in choices, only various shades of grey
>>
>>35787269
uh, then it stops working..?

you're not supposed to run whatever distro you choose off the usb the entire time, if that's what you're thinking. i mean, you can do that, some distros are supposed to be run off a usb drive, but it's a stupid idea and slow for most distros.
>>
>>35787371

The problem is that you need to emerge everything and compiling stuff on crappy hardware takes hours.

When I installed Gentoo for the first time on my 2004 hardware PC, it took me 12 hours to get the same stuff up.

And you need to compile everytime you update so that is a lot of hard work for your crappy laptop.

Arch Linux is better. You have binaries that are pretty optimised already and you just download them as is.
>>
>not using arch linux
>not using gentoo
g-get off 4chan

f-f-faggot..
>>
>>35787371
Go for BSD then or at least try to avoid the GNU ecosystem around linux. It's like the GNU objective was to make software as shitty and autistic as possible just so you can complain about people not reading your shitty manpage - oh sorry, GNU infopage.
BSD userland is so much better. Anybody who disagrees should be forced to use netcat.
>>
>>35787505

BSD is fine if you want to setup a server with the software and ever touch it again ever.

Having any kind of BSD on a Desktop is truly nuts.
>>
>>35787523
You can stick with linux, but csh instead of bash is a good start. As a rule of thumb get rid of any gnu-basetutils component that has a manpage that is several dozen pages long or starts with a "short" introdruction on formal grammar.
>>
>>35787523
not that anon but i have a system setup with freenas. it's nice 99% of the time, but whenever i have problems with it it is a complete pain in the ass to figure out what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>35787406
Sorry that you had to find out about it this way, Anon.
>>
>>35787523
That anon from >>35787564
Want to interject: Also you are a candidate for the pit. Get thrown into a whole in the ground and be cattled prodded any time you take a break from figuring out which combination of -l [host] -p[port] [host] [port] does what you intended.
>>
>>35787315

Eventually you get the installation menu for Linux.

>>35787434

>you're not supposed to run whatever distro you choose off the usb the entire time

Wait, what? So you need to do some other *real* installation after the USB part? Why didn't you mention that to begin with? This is why I don't use linux, nobody ever gives you all the details because they assume you magically know everything they didn't explicitly mention.
>>
>>35787651
too autistic and angry to write
*hole in the ground
*cattle prodded
>>
>>35786955
Netflix ditched Silvershite ages ago friend.
>>
>>35787652
>Wait, what? So you need to do some other *real* installation after the USB part? Why didn't you mention that to begin with? This is why I don't use linux, nobody ever gives you all the details because they assume you magically know everything they didn't explicitly mention.

think of writing the linux iso to usb as a windows install disc, but its more powerful than that because you can boot into the desktop and try it out before you install it.

its not that complicated and there's thousands of tutorials online
>>
>>35787564

I tried but decided against it. I'm end up administering servers constantly and 99% of the time they are Debian with bash. I want to stick to the environment I work in.

>>35787651

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't matter what I use in my basement. People in production use Debian with GNU coreutils and all the crap that has become standard tools. I have to learn to use those.

Like, similarly, I don't like PHP, but 95% of the web is still PHP and if I need to do web dev maintenance I need to know PHP (or Perl if it's a decade old)
>>
File: desktop-2M.jpg (2MB, 5120x2880px) Image search: [Google]
desktop-2M.jpg
2MB, 5120x2880px
I used to use Linux until I got a Mac in 2014.
Now I can't go back.
>>
>>35787847
please take your mac shilling back to /g/
>>
File: 1490100649823.png (305KB, 398x487px) Image search: [Google]
1490100649823.png
305KB, 398x487px
>>35787847
Everyone who uses Linux is just too poor to afford a mac.

Both groups need to be purged
>>
>>35787875
Mac is better. Deal with it.

>>35787888
If you're defending Windows you probably don't know much about computers.
>>
>>35787970
>Mac is better. Deal with it.

thanks pajeet, .10 macbux have been deposited into your account
>>
>>35787970
>If you're defending Windows you probably don't know much about computers.
I'm not defending it. I'm saying you need to be purged if you use anything else.
>>
>>35787847
The general OS X user experience doesn't really differ that much from many mainstream linux distros. OS X just has more software available

t: used both for years
>>
>programming course
>requires us to use git and a compiler
>normie complains they can't get it working on their computer
>TA tells the student they're fucked and should be using linux
>tfw it just werks on linux
>>35788005
Why?
Are you just baiting for (you)s?
>>
File: selection.jpg (2MB, 2762x2718px) Image search: [Google]
selection.jpg
2MB, 2762x2718px
>>35788069
>The general OS X user experience doesn't really differ that much from many mainstream linux distros.
Absolutely wrong. MacOS (Not OS X anymore) is smooth as fuck and has things you'd just expect like dragging a file to a terminal to get the space canceled path or little things like pinching in to show the tab overview (pic related) in Safari.

>>35788005
Windows users need to be purged. Windows has done the most harm to computing out of anything, period.
>>
>>35788135
I'm fairly sure those are possible on Linux (except for using safari)
>>
>>35788268
Gnome and KDE are the most "advanced" DEs on Linux. They don't compare to MacOS in terms of usability and "smoothness".
MacOS is a bit like Linux if you fixed all the problems Linux had. I was even able to migrate all my scripts from Gentoo to Mac. It's a bit more limited, yes, but for a desktop OS it's just so much better.
>>
>tfw using it for so long now that you don't even notice it any more
>everything is set up the way you like it

Feels indifferent.
>>
im currently on debian
>>
>>35786614
why gumshoe of all people
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.