[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does one get autism? what age does it typically appear at?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1468114577187.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1468114577187.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
how does one get autism? what age does it typically appear at? I've always wondered if maybe I'm an undiagnosed autist. is that possible?
>>
>>35771703
I've actually been told I'm on the spectrum, but I have a normal life and a family
>>
>>35771703
>We're all autistic I'm just the first to admit

Kanye West
>>
When you're born.

This is what autism looks like. There's nothing wrong with you robots, you're just bigger attention whores than Stacy.

https://youtu.be/BcuZ3C9Q3Jg
>>
You get it from being locked in a room with a bunch of toys by an abusive babysitter
>>
>>35771901
>ask question about autism
>gee uh guys you're attentionwhores
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>35771703
>how does one get autism?
A variety of genetic factors
>what age does it typically appear at?
> is that possible?
Yes
>>
File: 56k56j566k6k.png (1MB, 1194x1359px) Image search: [Google]
56k56j566k6k.png
1MB, 1194x1359px
Everybody here is an undiagnosed autist.

But most people pretend they don't have it and distract themselves with more video games and anime and minecraft.
>>
it is possible to live your life and never get an official diagnosis of autism. some people just never go to someone who would diagnose it and many pediatricians/parents aren't really looking for it in kids where it's not super obvious

here's the thing though

let's say you went tomorrow and got an official diagnosis that says "yep, you have autism"

what's different?
what has changed about your life and your future?

nothing, really.

also consider this: your diagnosis of autism is not based on a blood test. there is no detectable marker for autism. it's entirely based on observation and conversation. it's possible to "trick" a psychologist, and it's perhaps more likely to present in such a way that they decide you don't have autism but you have OCD or generalized social anxiety or something to that effect. when you get a diagnosis from someone like this you always have to keep in mind that they're just guessing too.

but yeah
would your life be better if someone with a degree told you you have autism?
is that worth spending money on an office visit?

note that i'm not considering SSDI benefits here given that if you're on the fringes of even having autism you probably aren't getting neetbux

>>35771919
chris-chan is that you?
>>
>>35772968
My parents got me evaluated not that long ago.

I'm waiting for the results and feeling and depressed and anxious.

I honestly don't want to be diagnosed with it. I feel normal at times, but most of the time I have poor eye contact, poor conversation skills, and anxiety that usually clouds my thinking in social situations.

An IQ test as part of the evaluation, so my score on that is something to look forward too. Not sure if it was a complete one, or just one that tested executive functioning. Anyway, I didn't feel like I did that great on it. Maybe slightly above average.

I developed normally growing up, but never really had any friends.
>>
If you were circumcised as a child there is a very good chance that gave you autism.
>>
>>35772917
>love[d] wearing [school] uniforms/use homelessness as excuse to wear same thing eveyday.
>every single thing else on this list sans maybe pain resistant

Is tis a joke..?
>>
>>35773951
No, those things are taken from autism diagnoses websites but many people can qualify for any of those if not all of those.
>>
>>35771901
it's called a spectrum for a reason you fucking extremist.

i know people with aspbergers who are far more socially adept than i am. but obviously it can be completely debilitating in full blown cases, and many autists will spend their lives in group homes under supervision.
>>
>>35771703
Combination of genetics (MTHFR mutation) and environmental factors.

Google it
>>
>>35771901
>>35774298
In order for it to be autism you need to have below 70 IQ, anything above that is generally high-functioning, aspergers bears similarities to less severe cases of high-functioning but a distinction is made since aspergers isn't typically diagnosed just before or around puberty while high-functioning is typically diagnosed around 1-3 if I'm correct, there are also some other differences for example someone with aspergers tends to have more self-awareness than high-functioning. There's some other differences I think but I can't remember all of them.

Something I've noticed is that people don't actually understand autism that well, they either think it's essentially the kind of temper tantrum stuff or with aspergers super smart awkward person, the former is true but there is variation while the latter very rarely is. For example aspergers doesn't always come with savant ability though it's somewhat common to be more talented in certain areas. Autism gets confused with high-functioning autism, there's a lot of people with autism who can't speak because of it while high-functioning can result in the very childlike behaviour.

t. aspie
>>
>>35775593
Aspergers isn't even in the DSM anymore.

It's just different levels of ASD now.
>>
>>35771901
literally every life in this video has been ruined from whatever the fuck has been born
>>
>>35775593
You have a terrible understanding of autism for an autist

T. fellow autist
>>
>>35772968
i recently got diagnosed with it. it mostly just gave me an explanation as to why i can never make friends and why my personality is this way. i always thought i was just some weird kid that'll grow out of it but i eventually found myself as an adult that couldn't keep a convo going and realized something's up.
>>
>>35771901
she's so self aware she wants to put herself out of her misery
>>
>>35775593
You are considered mentally retarded when your IQ is below 70. Autism and Mental Retardation aren't the same thing.

From, a fellow aspie
>>
File: 20170210_103930.gif (622KB, 480x304px) Image search: [Google]
20170210_103930.gif
622KB, 480x304px
>>35771901
Am I a bad person for laughing at this?
My sides are still a little sore
>>
>>35775593
Why do you post about things that you have very little knowledge or understanding of?

Kys
>>
File: poly10a.png (86KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
poly10a.png
86KB, 640x400px
Everyone in my family is one so I assume it's genetic
>>
>>35771857
Pretty sure that's just the doctor wanting money
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.