[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DEBATE TOPIC: Is suicide selfish ?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5811.jpg (143KB, 634x823px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5811.jpg
143KB, 634x823px
This happened earlier today

>english class
>somehow get on the topic of suicide
>normie faggot (literally, the whole class knows he's gay, he does the flamboyant walk, talk, the whole nine yards) starts talking about how suicide is selfish
>muster up the balls to say something that goes sort of like "w-well...it's not as easy as you're making it out to be. Sometimes there isn't always a way, are you suggesting that person live a miserable existence simply because other people will be affected? Isn't that selfish of said other people?"
>in all his faggot fury he replies
>"you're literally hurting your family and friends, you're only thinking of yourself! just find a way and work it out xDDD"
>teacher says that's enough suicide talk and class is dismissed shortly

What do you robots think? Is it selfish? Is it justified? I'm not trying to be an edge lord I swear. Personally I feel you could argue it being selfish on both sides, but I feel when it comes to these type of things people should put themselves first you know?
>>
no more selfish than having a child
>>
>>35723102
I honestly don't understand how you can get to that point. Maybe my view of it is super naive but if I hated my life I could always drop everything and start new somewhere. Move to mexico and roleplay as a gunslinger boi
>>
>>35723102
Anyone who says suicide is selfish has very obviously never experienced severe depression and thoughts of suicide before.

Good video on the topic of suicide that used to get posted around here a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d86Yss7qcw
>>
This seems like a good thread so I'll bump with another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QoyTmeAYw
>>
>>35723349
>good video
>fat nu-male with tattoo
no
>>
is killing yourself a selfish thing to do?
of course it is. Does it matter?
probably not, nothing else does
>>
>>35723102
I think suicide is selfish because in a way you are doing something that will put you in a "better" situation while causing suffering on others. However, the lack of compassion some people have for suicidals is a lot more selfish, in my opinion.
>No! You have to keep living even if you are suffering because I don't want to feel sad!
Not to mention that they always say things like "just find a way" or "work it out", but when you ask them how would one go about that, the best they can come up with is "go to therapy!"
>>
File: schoppy wolverine.png (199KB, 602x718px) Image search: [Google]
schoppy wolverine.png
199KB, 602x718px
Technically, suicide isn't selfish because it doesn't do anything for the self. It's the act of terminating the self. But since we complicate things, it can be selfish or altruistic depending on internal and external factors. I personally don't think it matters that much.

As for justified, that again can depend but if you mean absolutely, it's on whether you believe someone has full right to their own life.
>>
On the other hand, it's also selfish when people say that THEY would feel bad if you killed yourself, while totally ignoring that you feel much worse in the moment
>>
>>35723200
>if I hated my life I could always drop everything and start new somewhere

this fucking meme
>>
>>35723102
Debate answer: it doesn't matter if suicide is selfish, because you'll be dead. You can't care if you're dead.
>>
>>35723102
attention-whoring fags like that don't know what suicide is like

I agree with you, anon. I think suicide is the ultimate expression of "my body, my choice"
>>
>>35723102
It's a selfish act to bring a child into this shit world. It takes a selfish act to leave.

Tit for tat. It balances out. Nothing wrong. Nobody asks to be born, nobody chooses to be born. If you are living against your will and you don't enjoy it, then you should take your exit route. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>35723200
>t. hasn't been homeless
>>
>>35723102
No not really. Some people will never get better plus it's not like we had a choice to be born. But of course normies will never understand this.
>>
>>35723102
Well you are inflicting pain on others just to stop your own pain.
You're putting your interests above other, which is selfish.
>>
>Insisting another person should stay alive because their death would make you feel bad
>Not selfish

Opposition to suicide is selfish. In a lot of ancient cultures, suicide was seen as noble for a reason. The ending of your life, the most important thing you have, to restore some balance or justice to the world is the most noble act of all.
>>
>>35723102
I've always basically thought "When I'm truly bored and feel there's nothing left to live for I'll just kill myself" I try not to think like this because I know my family would be very sad to know I killed myself. Maybe I'll wait until they pass. That could be a while though.
>>
>>35724448
>Well you are inflicting pain on others just to stop your own pain.
You are stopping your own pain, which may bring pain to others as a result. The way you word it, it sounds like you're inflicting pain on others for the sake of alleviating your own pain.
>>
>>35724661
Forgot to answer the actual question...

But is it selfish to commit suicide?
Yes and no, it's not selfish to just end it if you feel there's no other option and that's what you want, but it's also selfish because your loved ones will be hurt. Although one could say its selfish for them to think like that. Idk
>>
>>35724448
Well I was brought into this world carelessly by shitty parents who did nothing to raise me correctly and even molested me at one point. They were putting their interest in having a "let's save our marriage baby" far above my interests, which is selfish.
>>
>>35723102
>It's selfish to kill yourself after asking everyone in your life for help.
It's not like this is our fucking first choice. This is pretty normal to, suicide people will throw red signs in your face. Doesn't matter though. I'm preaching to the choir.
>>
>>35723102
Who cares? A person's life doesn't belong to others.

>>35723125
Less, actually. Humans are a disastrous plague upon this world. Every child born is another nail in Earth's coffin. Not to mention that the child has no say in anything.
>>
>>35723102
Religious people say this shit. Many suicides are done as a sacrifice for the lives of others. If some virgin shoots up the school and a teacher dies blocking him that's suicide. If getting shot so others can flee is selfish what's altruism? Having kids yu can't provide for and beat out of frustration?
>>
>>35725118
Earth's going to get destroyed anyway, might as well overrun it with the chosen lifeforms while we can. Make hay while the sun shines
>>
>>35723102
>kill yourself

orignialiolio
>>
Why would it be selfish? They don't give a fuck about you when you're alive. Why would they when you're dead?
>>
>>35723200
>I could always drop everything and start new somewhere
Except that's not how reality works. Getting to the point of suicide means you don't have the mental nor physical energy to do things like that. It means you literally cannot imagine a way to make life worth living, even if you "dropped everything and started somewhere new."
>>
>>35723102

I would agree that if you sneak it in it's pretty selfish, because you leave everyone behind with survivor's guilt and a lifetime of regret ahead of them. Only if you were to commit suicide after telling everyone that you're going to would you avoid that.

If you've got a decent case for committing suicide, it'll survive the inquiry of your friends/family, and if you find you can't make a convincing argument then you should consider that you might be wrong about it.

>>35725192
>If some virgin shoots up the school and a teacher dies blocking him that's suicide

No, that's murder. Suicide is when you kill yourself. That's just the definition of it.
>>
File: 1490015170812.jpg (256KB, 1272x700px) Image search: [Google]
1490015170812.jpg
256KB, 1272x700px
>>35723200
this is only an option if you were born wealthy
>>
>>35723102
I believe that suicide is selfish, but living is selfish too.
We live by eating plants and animals, taking their lives. We ignore the plight of the poor and homeless guiltlessly while eating fast food.
A truly selfless person would arguably immediately give his food, money, organs etc to those in need. Which would kill him.
So to live we must be selfish.
Dying selfishly by our own choice isn't significantly more selfish than living must be.
>>
>>35725799
>If you've got a decent case for committing suicide, it'll survive the inquiry of your friends/family
That implies they care to be reasoned with.
>>
Yeah, of course it is fucking selfish.
It is so self evident.
Why aren't we allowed to say this anymore? Why do we have suicide awareness organizations jumping down peoples throats when you point this out?

We are always pussyfooting around and coddling people with depression. We do we have to deny reality just to appease them.

If you want to kill yourself. Fine. Then do it. But why hang around and be obnoxious to everyone? What do you gain from it? You can't really believe that suicide is a good choice if you are still hanging around.

tl;dr suicide is selfish. Don't sperg out about this statement.
>>
>>35723102
Bumpin der tha
>>
>>35725799
It's assisted suicide. You could run and avoid death but instead you choose to et yourself die. It's like knowing you have cancer and refusing treatment
>>
>>35723102
Suicide is hard to define. If someone arefuses to take care of their health is that suicide? If you refuse treatment and you have cancer is that killing yourself? What about eating quarter pounders and smoking every day? Most people commit suicide they just do it in a slow way
>>
>>35726849

It's hard to call all of those cases suicide, but they are all morally abhorrent.
>>
I am nicce guy.

>rad this yhred

I am not ince guy.
>>
Louis C.K. said he never blames a person who gets a divorce because no who's happy with their marriage gets a divorce. I think the same applies to suicide, no one who's happy with their life commits suicide. Good on them that they actually have the balls to do what I can't.
>>
>>35727187

divorce is just as abhorrent and selfish as suicide. Ask any kid who has had his parent seperate.

Instead of choosing to fix their marriage or resolve their differences, they take the easy road and fuck up the kids for life. Of course they pretend to care about the children, but its pure selfishness.

Same goes for suicide. If you choose the easy road out, people have the right to judge you for it.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.