[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any space experts here? I have a weird qquestion: can you pour

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: colgate.png (167KB, 333x309px) Image search: [Google]
colgate.png
167KB, 333x309px
Any space experts here? I have a weird qquestion:

can you pour out water in space, have it be frozen, collect it, and then drink it again without it making you sick?
>>
>>35719769
Water doesn't exactly freeze in space, it vaporizes
>>
>>35719769
I'd say no because, even if as other anon said it does, if it doesn't vaporize due to lack of pressure the constant radiation coating much of space would likely in the short term contaminate it

If you leave it until the radiation dissipates I wouldn't see a problem
>>
the water would collect germs from the sun rays if your pored it in space. there is also all forms of bacteria floating around in space, which is one of the reasons why astronauts need suits
>>
>>35719801
That depends on the temperature though, most places water would freeze due to the cold. Of course in space it would either be frozen or gaseous, but most places it would be frozen.
>>
>>35719769
No, there's nothing out in the middle of space that would contaminate that water.
>>
>>35719965
Except radiation
>>
>>35719973
Well that depends on where in space then. Radiation would be a problem if you're near a star, but otherwise not so much.
>>
>>35719801
>>35719854

oh. well thanks for the answer
>>
>>35719921
It's because of the pressure, not the temperature. Freezing and boiling points are pressure-dependent, so very cold water in a vacuum still tends to become vapor.
>>
>>35719902
>there is also all forms of bacteria floating around in space
this is mainly what i was wondering. if space itself is toxic to humans beyond no air and freezing
>>
>>35719973
>>35719995
When you make tea in the microwave, it's literally irradiating the water you then drink. That same radiation would kill you if you stuck your head in the microwave. Radiation does not stick to things like that, you only get Chernobyl-style contamination if bits of radioactive matter get in there, but starlight in empty space won't do it.
>>
File: MissingSide.jpg (8KB, 502x395px) Image search: [Google]
MissingSide.jpg
8KB, 502x395px
>>35719902
>the water would collect germs from the sun rays
>your pored it
>astronauts wear spacesuits to protect against space bacteria
>>
File: Phases chart.png (813KB, 2000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
Phases chart.png
813KB, 2000x1688px
>>35720002
No, it's pressure AND temperature. As you can see in this chart, at the lowest pressure, so space, water can only be solid or gaseous. So therefore without pressure, the only determining factor would be temperature.
>>
>>35720044
So why do scientists make space gear and space station and space ships radiation proof, and in the event of the sun having a temper tantrum the possibility that satellites can be absolutely fried beyond repair, under radiation many times more severe than an emp could create
>>
>>35720022
No, that guy is trolling, there is no bacteria in space, or any living organisms.
>>
>>35719973
radiation does nothing to water, it's ingesting bits of radioactive material (uranium, plutonium, polonium, cesium isotopes, ect) that give off alpha/beta particles when they decay that gradually give you horrible cancers when you ingest them.

You can drink water that has been X-rayed/gamma rayed to fuck and be absolutely fine.
>>
>>35719769
Fun fact: technically, with proper preparation and medical care on the station, you could survive for more than one minute (losing consciousness after 15 seconds) naked in outer space.

Of course, you would get swollen everywhere, your blood would vaporize and you would then bleed from almost every orifice, but there's still a chance.
>>
>>35720022
There is no living organism in space, at least near our planet. Space is dangerous, mainly due to gamma radiations from our star, but that can be prevented by the adequate protection. However, it won't do any harm to the water itself: what is dangerous is the cancerogenic (is that a word?) effect of said radiations.
>>
>>35720126

They shield against gamma rays which will indeed fuck a human up, but gamma rays pass right through compounds like water without leaving any real trace of them having been there.

Water only gets tainted by radiation when you fill it with a bunch of radioactive particulates that will emit radiation after ingestion.
>>
>>35720215
the word you're thinking of is 'carcinogenic'
>>
>>35720215
Carcinogenic us the word you're looking for my guy
>>
>>35720155
is /r9k/ actually so uneducated that they do not know this? embarrassing.
>>
>>35720134
is there any evidence that there isnt any bacteria/viruses floating around in space, though? because space has intertia, any moving object will not stop moving, so any bacteria form anywhere in the universe would be in space and float around. perhaps this is the origin of life on earth?
>>
>>35720235
Okay thanks.

And to respond to >>35720126 : the reason why we protect them is that if you didn't give the astronauts any form of protection, they'd have much higher cancer rates, just like you get more dangerous radiations in a plane than on the surface. But protecting them entirely is difficult: most of the gamma radiations will be stopped by normal elements, but stopping 100% of it requires either 10 cm of lead or about 1 meter of water.

>>35720282
It's never too late to learn though
>>
>>35720320
As we know it, no live form can survive the extreme vacuum and temperature of deep space. Hell, even being into a near perfect vacuum down on earth inside a vacuum chamber kills almost all bacteria within minutes.
Viruses are a little tougher, but still no where enough to survive that. And we never got one single living form from going out into space: it became obvious really quickly that there was no need for decontamination when astronauts came back on earth, so worry not: no space-AIDS.

however it is not out of question that amino-acids necessary for basic life forms came from space debris falling on earth, but a living thing could not survive re-entry, with the extreme temperatures it comes with.
>>
>>35720320
If we had found organisms floating in space, it would be HUGE news everywhere. So far we haven't found any life outside of earth, and bacteria from Earth can't survive in space with the lack of everything it would need to live. Viruses are different though, they're not really "alive", so I'm not sure how those would do in space. Viruses can only reproduce through living creatures though, so they wouldn't be able to reproduce in space though.
>>
>>35720322
the reason why we mock them is that if you didn't give the tripfags any form of shit, we'd have much higher cancer rates, just like you get more cancerous posts on social media than on anonymous sites. But repelling them entirely is difficult: most of the tripfags will be stopped by normal anonymity, but stopping 100% of them requires either forced anonymity or extensive cyberstalking
>>
>>35720322
>It's never too late to learn though
words to live by
>>
File: c2O_RwPU_400x400.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
c2O_RwPU_400x400.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>35720439
Nice one buddy, gave me a good giggle.

>>35720435
I'm pretty sure the few chemical processes that power a virus would be severely disrupted by the extreme heat and coldness it'd experience in space.
>>
>>35720507
viruses aren't generally powered when they're not inside a cell making viruses
They're effectively inert protein shells.

Think of a ball of keys that's just floating around waiting to land in a lock that fits.
>>
>>35720417
>what are tardigrades
>>
>>35720578
Well not really, it still has some small processes that maintain, in some regard, it's RNA from damage caused by radiations and such.
So just like a bacteria, their RNA would be shredded into pieces in space and couldn't repair it.
For example, most viruses can't survive in cold temperatures because of this effect, and those who do usually have some sort of protective measure for it, with strengthened shells.
>>
>>35719769
If you poured water out in a vacuum it would boil away, not freeze. But no, space isn't toxic if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>35720671
U so sure 'bout dat?
>>35720110

it would freeze, but still sublimate at a certain rate.
>>
File: a-10-thunderbolt-ii_011-ts600.jpg (31KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
a-10-thunderbolt-ii_011-ts600.jpg
31KB, 600x400px
>>35720639
my a10 will decimate u anyday pal
>>
>>35720726
Come ahead you filthy capitalist, I'm not scared. My 12,7mm bullets will fucc U up, so watcch outt boi!
>>
To people saying that space radiation won't affect water because it doesn't leave radioactive particles behind: only the second part is true. Radiation can split h2o and when it can then reassemble into different combinations, some of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. It can affect it in a few more dangerous ways but this is probably the most likely one.
>>
>>35720784
Are you sure? Because the only real combination I know of is deuterium and HO-, which are pretty harmless.
And besides, these things already happen all the time in standard liquid water, so I don't really see the problem here. But maybe I'm missing a piece of the equation?
>>
File: brrrt.jpg (147KB, 2967x1440px) Image search: [Google]
brrrt.jpg
147KB, 2967x1440px
>>35720774
thats it, you and your AAs have done it now

BRRRRRRRT
>>
>>35720842
OH as far as I am concerned will hurt your cells. It can also reassemble itself as h2o2, so that is a big issue.
>>
File: zsu-23-4-shilka.jpg (136KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
zsu-23-4-shilka.jpg
136KB, 800x550px
>>35720918
H2O2 is simple oxygenated water, and is harmless.
Heavy water (deuterium) is also harmless as far as we know. And OH- is already occurring in normal water at any moment, so there is no reason to worry about that either.

>>35720887
heheh, not so fast!
>inb4 armor gets penetrated
>>
>>35720044
>When you make tea in the microwave

What the fuck my man
>>
>>35719769
U might get Space aids be caeeful
>>
>>35721149
some people are animals without kettles
>>
>>35721024
>H2O2
>simple oxigenated water
>harmless
Jesus Christ. Go and fucking drink it then. For science.
>>
>>35720002
>what are commets
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.