[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was it that made the 2000s so edgy?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

What was it that made the 2000s so edgy?
>>
Honestly? 9/11 and the burgeoning financial crisis, riding on a wave of conflict and excess. The internet hit the mainstream, exposing young and impressionable kids to shit like gore, Linkin Park and war footage. Video games shifted in tone from fairly upbeat, quirky platforming games to violence, ugly, and horrific murder simulators while also exploding in popularity.
>>
Previous 20 years were too colorful and sanitized
>>
>>35676163
The used
My chemical romance
AFI
HIM

I'LL BE JUST FINEEE PRETENDINNG I'M NOOO000T
I'M FARRR FROM LONLY AND IT'S ALL THAT IIIVE GOT
>>
>>35676163
Past the 80s everyone started getting locked up and murka became a prison as a backlash to the 60 through 70 revolution.

We got dark for a reason. But right now the Interweb has us so entertained that it doesn't show, and the cameras keep us from acting more sociopathic also.

Also since the 70s they've payed us less and less. Right around the time murika decided to give money to Isreal for no reason that I am aware.
>>
>>35676270
REMEBER WHEN YOU BROKE YOUR FOOT
FROM JUMPING OUT THE SECOND FLOOR
I'M NOOOOOOOOTTTTTT OK
I'M
NOT
OK
Why aren't we all emo fucks still? This music was made for us.
>>
>>35676163
>>35676198
>>35676270

The 2000s weren't really all that edgy, it was just aftershock of mid-late 90s mainstream counterculture and just the culture in general.

The 2000s was when that culture was morphing into emo and "scene". In the 90s you had bands like Rage Against The Machine and Nine Inch nails and Marilyn manson that were just as mainstream as Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake. One of the biggest dance groups of the 90s had songs about starting fires and smacking their bitch up.

Since mostly everyone here is younger than 25 they have their childhood/pre-teen/teen nostalgia warping that perception. They think that My Chemical Romance in 2006 was the pinnacle of teenager rebellion.
>>
>>35676163
The Matrix
Baloaozozjzzkz
>>
>>35676588
It came out in 1999 and already then it was more of a mirror image of alternative cultures - although it did amplify it.

There were plenty already of people in trenchcoats that listened to dark techno and were into computers, but then when the movie came out it created a whole bunch of new technogoths.

The movie soundtrack too. It featured bands like RATM and Manson and Rammstein and Deftones, but those bands had been mainstream for years or at the very least extremely popular. It did make them even more popular for kids that weren't already in the nu-metal or mallgoth scene.
>>
>>35676163
>you will NEVER go back to the early 2000s
>you will NEVER watch invader zim and nightmare before christmas with a solid 6/10 gf
Time to die
>>
>>35676545
>>35676163

and to go on even more of a rant you can look at almost anything else.

Pro Wrestling. You had three major competing organizations in the mid-late 90s. The WCW was fairly tame and generic but then you had the ECW that had idiot retards setting themselves on fire and landing-face first in barbed wire years before the WWF(E) was doing it, but the WWF also had its own brand of edge where they had gimmicks like a Satanic cult that kidnapped and implied-raped Stephanie Mcmahon, a group whose motto was Suck It as they did a thrusting blowjob motion, Stone Cold who at one point kidnapped Vince McMahon and held a fake gun to his head and then McMahon fake-pissed his pants, etc.

By the 2000s, ECW had been bought out and absorbed and the WWF was now a generic bunch of dudes with no real personality.
You can also look at hip-hop culture. The mid-late 90s was all about gangster rap, Wu Tang, Biggie and Tupac, East vs West coast, Eminem was actually shocking and offensive, to the point where he collaborated with Marilyn Manson. By the 2000s gangster rap was all but dead and was replaced with "in da club" rap that is still the norm today.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (39KB, 495x487px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
39KB, 495x487px
>>35676163
I kind of looked like this in high school minus the black clothes and piercings and plus glasses.
>>
>>35676309

Because emo was taken over by normies who decided it was cool to be an outcast.

WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO SHOW YOU THAT ITS NOT THE LIFE IT SEEMS

I TOLD YOU TIME AND TIME AGAIN

YOU SING THE WORDS BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A JOKE
>>
>>35677606
AND LOOK
ANOTHER LINE WITHOUT A HOOK
I HELD YOU CLOSE AS WE BOTH SHOOK
>>
File: 1436900239229.jpg (291KB, 959x960px) Image search: [Google]
1436900239229.jpg
291KB, 959x960px
>>35677032
>I looked like this, minus everything and plus something
>>
>>35677652
I miss being an emo bitch, it was easy to look cute caked in makeup and having hair in your face. Plus the music was and still is top fucking tier
>>
>>35677689
you can't do basic math?

addition by subtraction
>>
I wonder what all the emo girls I used to talk to and flirt with from the various teen social medias are like now.
>>
>>35676163
9/11
originalkjfd
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.