[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: whiskey.jpg (86KB, 1440x720px) Image search: [Google]
whiskey.jpg
86KB, 1440x720px
My original intention was to try and justify my alcoholism with all the shit that happened in my life. I changed my mind and I want to know what you people think of functioning alcoholics. To be specific, people who drink in excess every day but don't let it effect their professional career. I drink about a bottle of whiskey every day before I go to sleep but I still make it to work and am successful with everything else. Is there a problem with this or can I continue guilt free?
>>
I'm surprised that you're concerned with guilt. Guilt isn't what I'd worry about. Just focus on the facts. There are two that should give you cause for concern.

1. The quantity of alcohol that you're consuming is poisoning you. That's indisputable. At some point or another you're going to run into physical problems because of it. When that happens you're going to suffer and probably suffer badly.

2. You're walking a knife edge. It's possible that you can keep up the balance of drinking yourself insensate every night and being productive the next day. Look, for example, at Christopher Hitchens. Right up until he died from throat cancer he was a very prolific writer and his heavy drinking never overwhelmed his work. But the odds that you can do this indefinitely are small. Most people who drink as heavily as you do eventually end up unable to function in society because of it. Maybe that won't happen to you, but objectively the odds aren't in your favor.

Those are the facts. Make your own choices. Don't worry about guilt. Just know the facts and confront them honestly.
>>
>>35654244
The only reason I feel guilt is because my family knows about my problem and they constantly ask me to see a psychologist. I've had clinical depression for a while now and the pills didn't work so I switched to alcohol. Alcohol doesn't work but it makes me feel normal while I'm using it.

Also, I'm not concerned with any illness that comes from this habit. I'm almost asking for an incurable illness to justify suicide. The idea of leaving all the stress and sadness in my life seems very attractive but I would never kill myself unless the inevitable was close.

What do, bro?
>>
>>35654347
I think you should see a psychiatrist. It sounds like your plan is to push yourself to utter ruin so that you can eventually justify suicide to yourself. There are better options out there.
>>
>>35654080
>Justify an addiction
>Functioning addict
>Using your success to downplay your addiction

Wow you've literally hit the 3 main points of alcoholics in AA before they've sought help
>>
>>35654422
I've been thinking about it. I've tried a handful of different SSRIs but none of them really worked. The last round I tried, the doctor wanted to put me on anti-psychotics and I said no.

I think you are right with your assumption about my plan. Never really thought of it that way before. I might need to look into more meds
>>
>>35654491
AA is for religious people though
>>
>>35654536

There's AA that aren't religious focused, anon. I'm an alcoholic and I go to the atheist AAs.
>>
>>35654567
What is it called? Just AA?
>>
>>35654491
>>35654536

Here, anon. I recommend you read this and you will see how a lot of the points will relate to you.

http://recoveryrocks.bangordailynews.com/2012/03/25/addiction/how-the-alcoholic-thinks/

>>35654587

It depends on your area. Google your area and you'll probably find a website with all the different AAs and they'll have annotations for
>youth
>elder
>married
>divorced
>religious
>non religious
>etc
>>
>>35654244
redditor spotted wew
>>
Think about "is there a problem" from a practical perspective. It's not effecting your work, that's good. Is it effecting your relationships? Have you gotten into legal trouble over it? Is it having a significant effect on your health? Can you comfortably afford your habit?

Lesser priority:
Do you feel that you could stop drinking if you wanted to or had to? Do you feel comfortable in a dry house (no alcohol)? Are you able to fall asleep sober? If not you might start thinking about getting it under control.

It's a problem if it negatively effects your life in a way that you don't find acceptable. Lots of people drink every day and don't have a problem. Our bodies tolerate alcohol very well for the most part, but a liter of liquor every day is not sustainable for the long term. You should know that it's not healthy.

Last night I went to bed sober for the first time in 7 years and slept. I tried to do it last year without tapering off properly, I was awake for 100 hours before I had some drinks and finally fell asleep. I thought there was no way I'd be able to sleep sober, that thought caused me a lot of anxiety. I felt like I'd never be able to stop drinking, how could I if I can't even sleep without it?

I love to drink, but I really resent being a slave to it. I felt like it's insulting, or like I'm pathetic that I don't have control of myself to get rid of a harmful influence. Self control and moderation, those are the important keys to healthy drinking habits. If you can, I strongly recommend to get it under control for your own sake.
>>
File: the11excuses.png (123KB, 525x822px) Image search: [Google]
the11excuses.png
123KB, 525x822px
>>35654491
Here's the points I mean
>>
Drink more you enormous fucking lightweight. Who the hell stops at one bottle?
>>
>>35654727
>Moderation
You're fucked. My wife believes in the moderation meme and I pretend to agree to have a drink every time I quit. Next thing I know I'm downing a carton of beer a day or several bottles of wine per day.

Quitting is easy enough for me. Drinking in "moderation" is not.
>>
>>35655941
it's so easy to convince yourself that you can have just one more and stop
you don't believe it on any real level but the desire pulls you through
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.