[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The wage cup doesn't exi-

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1469931223063.png (58KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
1469931223063.png
58KB, 500x301px
>The wage cup doesn't exi-
>>
>>35652628
That's an earnings gap Anon, brought to you by women taking non dangerous roles in society. That graph shows an earnings gap, the fact that you don't know this is the same reason you're poor.
>>
>>35652652
Wrong, it shows women are paid less.
>>
>>35652652
Can you read? It says Wages right there.
>>
nice try but kind of obvious
>>
There is a wage gap, that's objectively true. It's also objectively true, however, that by and large women are paid equal pay for equal work. The gap in earnings isn't because of discrimination in wages. It's due to a lot of factors, but primarily that women are working in lower paying fields and working fewer hours.

I think there is a conversation to be had about why that is, but it's a difficult and nuanced one and not one that fits neatly into the world view of the feminists or the misogynists.
>>
>>35652628
>be female, acquire gender studies degree and be a barrista
>male friend works his ass off to get a solid gpa in EE and got internships every holidays instead of going to Cancun on daddy's money

>wtf why are women making less money!!!
>>
>>35653279
I sure it partly has to do with the fact that fewer women seem to major in STEM fields. I don't get it, for some reason most women I know just don't like math for some reason.
>>
>r9k falling for cheap bait as usual
Many such cases!
>>
>>35652703
Because they work less.
It's illegal to pay men and women different amounts for the same work ya dummy.
>>
>>35653408
That's the rub, isn't it? It isn't particularly clear to anyone why women are pursuing these fields so much less frequently than men are.

On the one hand there is the argument that differences in brain anatomy, function, or whatever make women biologically predisposed to have a harder time in quantitative fields. Proponents of this view can point to women having lower test scores in math than men (though higher test scores in non quantitive subjects) even when controlling for myriad other factors.

The other side of the argument is that there are cultural pressures discouraging women from studying these fields, biases in hiring, and cultural pressures making things harder for women once they've been hired in these fields. All three of these points are also backed by objective evidence.

It's conceivable to me that both things are probably having an impact, albeit to very different degrees. I can buy that women may have a harder time with mathematical fields, but I'm pretty skeptical that it has any kind of significant impact. I work in a quantitative field (economics) and I know plenty of women who have zero problem doing quantitative work every day. I've also known women throughout my life that are better at math than I am. Women may score on average slightly lower than men on the math portion of the SAT, but I'm not convinced it can explain any more than a small fraction of the wage gap, if that.

I think a bigger problem by far is the culture in a lot of these high pay male dominated fields. There's a lot of evidence to back that up, which I can provide if you're interested. The good news is that a lot of that is starting to change, though slowly.

Feminists should stop with the "equal work for equal pay" slogan. Catchy, but it distracts from the real issue. They should focus on confronting sexist cultures in male dominated fields and simultaneously in encouraging women to take the initiative to study and work in these fields.
>>
>>35653716
I agree that women seem to have an unconscious predisposition where they think they are bad at math and don't pursue it, but I don't like the use of affirmative action to try to forcibly fix the issue, if it can even be called an issue.
The only real solution is to fix the root of the problem, and get women to like math and science at a young age. I think most people can become good at math with enough practice, but I might be biased since I'm a math major. Lots of people though are "scarred" by Math or science at a young age because they had a bad teacher or something, and got into the mindset that they aren't smart enough for it. Math and science unlike some subjects are very cumulative, so doing bad in a class early on compounds the difficulty. They just need to be taught thoroughly at a relaxing pace. My AP Calc class was like that in highschool, where we had lots of time and a good teacher, and as a result I was able to easily get a 5 on the AP exam. But maybe there are concepts that they just can't understand even with lots of time. I don't really know what that would be like, but it could just be they have different learning styles that the teacher doesn't understand how to teach to. Apparently not all people are visual learners, so that could be part of the difficulty.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.