[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about therapy

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: braap.png (158KB, 1648x750px) Image search: [Google]
braap.png
158KB, 1648x750px
What the fuck do you anons with therapists actually do/talk about in therapy?

I am considering trying it out because I have a year of school left and my university offers free counseling.

I definitely have pretty serious social anxiety and I also hit a lot of the markers for depression, but I'm not sad all the time or whatever. Not trying to self-diagnose, just giving an idea of what I'd presumably be there for.

But like... what do you even do at therapy? Do I just have to talk to some normie for an hour about what I'm doing in life? I have always figured it would play out kind of like an extended, vaguely awkward conversation with some dude whose job description is "pretend to care about random people's lives."

Does therapy (without taking pills, etc.) actually improve your anxiety or depression?
>>
>>35606960
For "curing" depression and anxiety, everyone's "cure" is going to be different. It maybe be one, or both, or some combination of other methods. I've never attended but my mother was a Psychologist, so I don't know what it's actually like. I say go for it, wcpgw?
>>
>>35606960
Mostly just talk about why I drink so much.

And why OP is such a faggot.
>>
>>35607015
Right, I mean I'm not expecting a "cure" for anything. I'm just wondering what actually happens in a session? Do they just ask me how I'm doing and try to go from there?

I feel like I'd end up presenting myself as stable and happy and they would probably conclude I was just seeking attention or something.

>>35607060
But like, how does a session go? Does your therapist just open with "well anon, why do you drink so much?" and you just go?

Is there any kind of intervention being suggested? Is talking about it actually changing anything in real life?
>>
>>35606960
Depends entirely on you, the therapist, and the type of therapy (psychoanalytic, psychiatric, behavioral, cognitive, etc).

Been seeing my psychiatrist since March 2006 for two suicides I attempted in high school. Very good guy, and has the patience and delicacy most therapist should, but strangely don't. I was forced to go to him because of my school, and didn't even talk or say anything to him until about a year later -- because, at first, I was just so mad I was forced to go to him.

Mainly we talk about whatever is going on in my life at the moment, or playing Chess or Scrabble, with the occasional prescription renewal. Though lately, talk has been centered on trying to find a place to live in the city despite my only income being SSI right now -- and possibly facing homelessness this summer due to my family is moving. And because of the recent provisions and executive actions of the Trump administration, there's also worry that I might lose my insurance and money in the near future. All-in-all, I'm probably going to off myself this year because of all this.
>>
>>35607201
How do I know what type of therapy I'd be signing up for? I assume therapists specialize in one specific type.

What do the various types entail with regard to what actually transpires in a session?
>>
>>35607609
>How do I know what type of therapy I'd be signing up for?
They often say what it is on their resume, business card, place of business, web-site, etc.

>I assume therapists specialize in one specific type.
Sometimes.

>What do the various types entail with regard to what actually transpires in a session?
You could Google reviews or read up on different types of therapies.
>>
>>35607670
They don't really give me that much information on my university's mental health center website but okay. I guess I'll look up the different types.
>>
>>35607807
You can try an independent doctor. Or, if you live in the city, you can also find clinics that catered specifically to mental health. At least over here, those often have multiple doctors covering various fields and therapeutic options.
>>
>>35607862
Well, the idea behind this is that the stuff my university offers is free (I guess it's part of my tuition, but I don't pay out-of-pocket) so I'm trying to go the free route. I'm not gonna kill myself or anything so paying for this kind of thing seems like an extra layer of useless--I just kind of want to see if they can do anything for me but if not, it's no big deal and I won't waste my money.
>>
with my therapist he will just ask how im feeling today and go from there. At first there will be "awkward" silences but in my experience they go away with more sessions
>>
>>35606960

I have a degree in psychology

DO NOT GET A FEMALE THERAPIST DO NOT SEE A FUCKING WOMAN

The women who get into this are the most virtue signalling normie stacey "omg chad" cunts I've ever seen in my entire life, same for women who do medicine

They will NOT understand your problems they WILL NOT care about your problems and they will not help you. Don't get an old boomer either they're cunts and if you're a younger guy they won't understand either.

A younger guy is better 30s is ideal because they'll understand where you're coming from
>>
>>35606960
I'm currently seeing a psychoanalytic psychiatrist. I opted for psychoanalysis because I feel like psychoanalysis has more truth in it than phony 'of you need more serotonin' explanations.
Therapy started off by explaining why I felt the need for therapy and we've been continuing ever since. We talk alot about my past (as is often the case with psychoanalytically inspired therapy) and try to come up with explananations for present behaviour and unconscious patterns.

Don't let them simply feed you antidepressants. I am currently doing my master thesis on the DSM-5 and let me tell you that the whole situation is fucked. Big pharma has so much influence, especially in America.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.