[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

videogames have lost all meaning to em.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: 1489023949780.jpg (111KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1489023949780.jpg
111KB, 1252x1252px
videogames have lost all meaning to em.
>>
What games did you like? Any older classics that you absolutely love?
>>
BUT NEW ZELDA AMAZING
>>
i want a game with a good story that you get suck into..
>>
>>35600381
Video games are just time wasting skinner boxes. They never had any meaning, they are shallow power fantasies designed to deliver instant gratification reward for instantly repeatable actions.
>>
>>35600381
Same, at a certain point you realize a video game is just a series of chores someone is giving you, only you end up with no real life progress. "Take this letter to my daughter," "collect all the coins," "find the star," "save the princess," fuck I don't even want to clean my room but at least it will actually make a difference in my life.
>>
>>35600461
Videogames are just a medium. You could say the same about books and movies except they are less interactible.
>>
>>35600668
The skinner box element is inherent to the medium. You make inputs, the game rewards you with progress at the bare minimum. They give a false sense of accomplishment for the loser beta males that play them. You're always the best around and can overcome any challenge thrown your way! Except, no, not really. You're just some sad fuck in a basement tapping on a piece of plastic who has to turn to escapist fantasy to trick your brain into thinking that you're doing something, when you're really not! And you need to grow the fuck up
>>
>>35600757
That's a pretty black and white way to look at the world.

It's a fun distraction but like anything if you do it too much it's bad.
>>
>>35600430
Soma is pretty good.
I don't like scary games, but i enjoyed the story anyway.
>>
File: CrIhVitXgAE7nZQ.jpg (27KB, 734x549px) Image search: [Google]
CrIhVitXgAE7nZQ.jpg
27KB, 734x549px
>>35600430
Metal Gear solid 5
Deus ex human Revolution/mankind divided
>>
Does anyone else feel like games become a chore? I started playing Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS and then took a break for whatever reason, and now I just can't make myself play again. The game collects dust and it gets worse the longer I wait. Sad thing is I'm a huge DQ fanboy
>>
File: 1384109990226.png (319KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1384109990226.png
319KB, 480x480px
>the game that I've begged for a sequel for years finally came out
>it has a developer making it that I already love
>can't be fucked to buy a console and get the game itself

Even if I did, I would probably play it for an hour then shelve it, coming back here to waste my time. God fucking help me.
>>
>>35600461
>>35600469
>>35600757

Weird how people call video games a time waste and having no meaning but see no problem with TV, movies, books, or sports.
It's literally just another way to experience a story or compete against other people, but via interactive software.
>>
>>35601871
>MGSV
>good story
pffft
>>
>>35600381
Life has lost all meaning.
>>
>>35603037

No, art has much greater goals than just to relate a story. It literally expands your mind, heightens your awareness of life, and can teach you about people. Any film or book lover will tell you that.

Some video games may aspire to that level, but the unfortunate fact is that many games are just shallow. They don't enrich your understanding of the world. You play reaction and strategy games in an environment on the aesthetic level of kitsch. It's nothing more than a time waster, and the amount of people making threads saying they're sick of games should tell you that being obsessed with them is a totally pointless enterprise, and that to improve your life you must mature.
>>
>>35603237
>some movies are bad, therefore no movies are good.
>some books are bad, therefore no books are good.
People play football, basketball or tennis because they like to compete, so do people who play starcraft or counterstrike
People ready fantasy or history because they like to imagine new worlds and learn about their own ones past, so do people who play elder scrolls or crusader kings (maybe, i don't play it) or old war games.

There are definitely games that exist as you describe them, usually things like RPGs and MMOs that are repetitive checklists, most AAA games are mindless killing too, but some really good games exist as well, mostly indie games, off the top of my head is INSIDE, LIMBO, Bastion, Thomas Was Alone, The Stanley Parable, ABZU. All of them tell a story that might not be possible in another medium, honestly do try them out.
>>
>>35603237
>art has much greater goals than just to relate a story
>greater goals
>family guy and bing bong theory
>>
>tfw the only good memories you have in life are of video games
>>
>>35603450

I've played three of those games. Inside and Limbo are just simple puzzle side-scrollers with kitschy graphics to trick people into thinking it's "art." For Bastion: Same thing, different genre.

I admit they look pretty, and have amused me enough to divert my time for a few hours, but I honestly didn't think about them until I was done with them up until you mentioned them. They're just nothing compared to the best works of literature, music, and cinema created in history. There are poems that have left psychic wounds I've never yet healed from, but games haven't made a single mark on me.

If they really are masterpieces with more to them, I admit I "just don't get it." However, I've spent enough time and money in the medium to conclude I shouldn't waste my time on them anymore, so the rest of your sugesstions will go ignored by me.
>>
>>35601871
>mankind divided
>good story

That game was basically an extended prolouge
>>
>>35603637

Actually, I don't know if I should be so stubborn. Maybe I'll give video games another chance if you could direct me to a well researched and reasoned scholarly study analyzing and appreciating the unique aspects of the medium, and arguing that its best works are on the same level as the best works of art in other mediums. I await your reply.
>>
>>35603698
I'm just a tard on the internet I don't know enough about it, plus that's a pretty damn autistic request, but think about this; When people are exposed to new forms of art they always turn their nose up at it in favour of the old ways, "bah these camera wizzboxes will never catch on" "no one wants to watch a motion picture when they could just watch a live play" "People don't have time to stare at a screen for an hour every evening" shit, I bet even cavemen scoffed at those weirdos painting on walls while they told stories round a fire
You'll catch up, maybe even by the time we're old men people will already be touting modern warfare as a classic.
>>
File: image.jpg (184KB, 980x952px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184KB, 980x952px
I want to enjoy vidya
But whoever I play it I feel overwhelmed and apathetic
And I have to just stop
Because for some reason it's not fun
I want to like it
I want to like it
>>
>>35600381
play spiral knights anon
trust me
it'll help
>>
>>35602904
Nier Automata is out on PC my dude
>>
I spent $60 on skyrim remastered because I have a console, I played maybe 15 minutes of it. I legit can't get into video games anymore.
>>
File: 1485991389497.png (13KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1485991389497.png
13KB, 184x184px
>get gratification from buying games and building my collection
>try to play them
>get bored within twenty minutes
>go back to /r9k/ while watching twitch streams

There must be a word for this kind of pathetic
>>
>>35603882
>;

Incorrect use of a semicolon.

You can also think about all the technological and artistic fads that have died and been forgotten over time.

Early cinema and cave paintings are very beautiful, graceful, mysterious, and extraordinary. I see no such qualities in video games.
>>
File: Enough.jpg (7KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
Enough.jpg
7KB, 316x202px
Vidya used to be good, but now even MGS has fallen to scripted walking segments.
Resident Evil went from action-horror with tons of content on release to a 3 hour Outlast clone but with guns and most of the content being locked behind DLC.
FPS and TPS games have flooded the market and JRPGs have gone from easy to learn, hard to master games with complex characters and story (and good art), to generic waifu sims with Persona 5 of all things being the thing that might save the genre.
God of War went from a badass action game to a feels-a-thon behind the shoulder Last of Us clone.
The fact that shit like Last of Us is praised as being one of the best games of all time is saddening, with its mediocre gameplay, garbage story with characters you can't feel sorry for or sympathize with.
Normies ruined fucking everything we loved.
>>
>>35604163
>correcting grammar on the internet

>over four decades and still going strong, huge industry making shit tonnes of money off it, more and more hype every time a game is announced, sales numbers climbing ever higher
I don't think it's going anywhere.
>>
File: 435.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
435.png
7KB, 645x773px
>>35600381
>tfw sold all my games for alcohol

This was when I was going to kill myself so I sold a lot of my shit because I didn't find any worth in materialistic things anymore and I thought that someone else would put my belongings to good use.
>>
>>35604235
To be fair, the video game news industry almost crashed with Gamergate and all exposing most journalists for being massive cunts
>>
>>35604235
>four decades

Half of a human's lifetime. What an achievement.

Is it really that autistic to ask for an explanation on the strength of video games that isn't a poorly written 4chan post? Honestly, until recently I often thought of cinema as a low brow artform, but studying film making techniques and reading the criticism of intelligent film lovers such as Andre Bazin and Andrew Sarris helped direct my attentions to certain aspects of the artform and helped increase my understanding and appreciation of it. Certainly the same could be done for video games.
>>
>>35604030

it's the same thing for me with movies. I started collecting blu-rays and didn't even watch most of the movies, or they were movies I've already watched and will probably never even watch again.
One day the pointlessness of collecting this just hit me and I stopped. Now I have 150+ Blu-Rays and I don't even really wanna watch anything.
>>
>>35603933
If any one wants help in spiral knights I am full 5 star and my name is blakkwaltz
>>
>>35604341
>4chan post
I think that's the key problem here to be honest, I don't know why I'm bothering, you clearly have a vendetta against video games unrelated to this thread, plus you're a massive sperglord even for r9k, but I don't think you need to be told that. Enjoy being a literature connoisseur and studying filmography in between looking down your nose at the plebs on the autism containment board you also frequent, I guess.
>>
>>35604419
no one wants to play? ;-;
>>
>>35604163
have you considered the fact that you are an autistic faggot?
>>
>>35600469
This has expressed pretty well why I stopped playing video games. Every time it's just the same kind of pointless task, just with a different color scheme.
>>
>>35604419
>[Alert]<
>[Pony Radiation Detected]<
>Activating Lockdown<
>BarneyFag Deployed<
>Alert at Sector B and Z of /r9k/<
>Quarantine on Thread #9187<
>Thank you for your Comprehension and have a very.safe.day<
>[Alert]<
>>
>>35605125
i dun gat itt
>>
>>35600381
Happened to me as I got older and experienced life more. Realized how unfulfilling most video games are. Last video game I played that I really liked was the Walking Dead series specifically season 2.
>>
Learn to play CKII and have the most fun you've had in a while. My wife cheated on me so I killed her and her lover and sent their child to the deepest depths of my dungeon
>>
>>35604341
your gayer then a juggalo brony
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.