[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 3212566664.jpg (14KB, 252x300px) Image search: [Google]
3212566664.jpg
14KB, 252x300px
Let's discuss some of the great thinkers of history and their contributions to reason and logic.

Feel free to share your own thoughts on all manner of subjects as well.
>>
Dood, this is 4chan. All you're getting from this is shit now.
>>
>Ayn Rand
Just stopping by to say that thi is the most overrated and simultaneously shittiest '''''''''''''''philosopher'''''''''''''''' arguable
>>
>>35587021

You can't deny though that she has had an enormous influence on American culture and politics.
>>
>>35586785
Anon, you do realize this is the wrong place for such discussion when /pol/ exists on 4chan.
>>
>>35587241

Political philosophy is just one branch of philosophy though.
>>
>>35587076
So she's to blame for the American "culture"?
>>
>>35587241
>having a philosophical discussion on /pol/
I hope you are kidding dude, because philosophical discussion will never happen on a shitfest such as /pol/ where threads will be bombarded with non-arguments and unfunny frog memes accompanying one liner green-texts
>>
>>35587366

I'm not sure if "blame" is exactly the word I was use, but yes, she has had a major influence on American culture, especially in the political sphere.
>>
File: arthur-schopenhauer.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
arthur-schopenhauer.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
How come Western philosophy was such a shitshow before out man Schopenhauer told us what's what?
>>
Where my Marcus Aurelius Meditations bros at
>>
i am gEM the most amazing philosopher ever. none of you know anything compared to me
>>
>>35587553

Then share with us some of what you have learned.
>>
File: stefan-molyneux.png?w=640.png (128KB, 640x344px) Image search: [Google]
stefan-molyneux.png?w=640.png
128KB, 640x344px
I HAVE BEEN A PHILOSOPHER FOR 30 YEARS
>>
>>35587606

Pretty sure this guy was heavily influenced by Ayn Rand.
>>
>>35587490
>to gain anything we have longed for is only to discover how vain and empty it is; and even though we are always living in expectation of better things, at the same time we often repent and long to have the past back again.
If only I could stop desiring things. I am obsessed by my loneliness and lack of gf, but my rational brain knows, thanks partly to Schopenhauer, that even if I stopped feeling lonely and had friends and a gf I would still find a way to feel like shit, incomplete and empty.
>>
>>35586785
Ayn Rand was a fucking stupid piece of shit who has no connection whatsoever with the real world and need to justify her psychopathic ego by any means necessary.
That's all the philosophy you need to know about her. You are welcome.
>>
>>35587021
They both over-generalize, but Orwell had the decency to keep it short, sharp and simple.
>>
File: philosphers.jpg (173KB, 555x503px) Image search: [Google]
philosphers.jpg
173KB, 555x503px
I want to get into philosophy because I find it very interesting.

Where should I start?
>>
Those who have the potential to be great at anything are very unlikely to meet that potential. Great men and women were fortunate enough to be cast into the role they were born into.
t. Anonymous
>>
File: 9780062201584.jpg (203KB, 431x648px) Image search: [Google]
9780062201584.jpg
203KB, 431x648px
>>35588568
>want to get into philosophy
>Where should I start?
>>
>>35588568
>Go to /lit/
>read the sticky
>start with the greeks
>>
>>35588568
>>35588636
>actually reading greek philosophers
lmao you can read dialogues and nothing else unless you wanna bore yourself to death

grab a philosophy textbook, get the general feel for particular philosophers and then try reading their works if their ideas actually seem interesting to you, don't waste time and braincells reading everything in chronological order
>>
>>35588694
>not trying to understanding the basis for contemporary western thought by reading the progenitors of it's core ideals and ideologies
>just pick up a textbook yo, man they'll teach you everything you need to know you don't even have to read the book they're talking about man!
>>
>>35588751
>you absolutely cannot use a textbook if you wanna learn maths properly
>you must read the original theorems and proofs if you wanna understand anything

yeah dude it doesn't work that way

Textbooks were made so you can understand complicated stuff more easily and quickly. Do you want the guy to just pick up Hegel or Kant and try to understand them on his own? Why the fuck would he torture himself like that? Why not let him read just the things that actually interest him?
>>
>It's a spam juice until the gym get tired and of and proclaim you god's cohen peple to get you to stop thread
goody
>>
>>35588829
>this false fucking equivalence

>yeah bro i just like dont even need to understand basic philosophical concepts or like really anything cus i only read thing that interest me like Deluze cus I dont have the intellectual capacity to understand works that don't even like interest me u know

philosophy is about reading. if you try to shortcut the learning process you're going to miss out on lots and lots of things that a textbook can't give to you in the way it's distilled.

I'm not saying read everything ever, just don't think that picking up a textbook and picking three books you like will teach you anything about philosophy. Reading the greeks first gives you a basis on which to understand more complex philosophical concepts and allows you to start thinking like a philosopher. It helps guide someone into thinking about the abstract and is the perfect jumping off point for getting into philosophy. Socratic dialogues introduced me to Aristotle, which introduced me to realism and empiricism; Plato introduced me to his concepts concerning the metaphysical.

you start with with the greeks because they had the most simple understanding of philosophy and work your way up.
>>
>>35588085
>If only I could stop desiring things. I am obsessed by my loneliness and lack of gf, but my rational brain knows, thanks partly to Schopenhauer, that even if I stopped feeling lonely and had friends and a gf I would still find a way to feel like shit, incomplete and empty.
that's not true, the man deeply is just an animal with animal needs, if you can fulfill your needs and don't think about death too much you will be happy.
>>
>>35588944
You're being a stuck up elitist cunt who's completely missing my point. Reading a textbook or two WILL give him the general idea about basic philosophical concepts and certain philosophers' ideas. From then, he can pick up actual philosophical works that have caught his eye while reading the textbooks. There is no fuckin reason at all for him not to read stuff that interests him in the first place if he's just trying to study philosophy for FUN.
>>
>>35589078
I disagree. First of all I don't give care about death, if anything knowing that I have to die makes me live better because I know it's going to end, so doing risky (and exciting, for me) things is not at all frightening. But what if I can't fulfill my needs? That's the problem. Also
>you will be happy
doubt it. Maybe "not unhappy"... maybe.
>>
>>35589230
follow schopenhauer's advice and contemplate art in order to achieve nirvana
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.