[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eye contact

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: e36.png (158KB, 831x826px) Image search: [Google]
e36.png
158KB, 831x826px
Eye contact is one of the hardest things for me, always has been.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I don't know when to look in the eyes and, more importantly, FOR HOW LONG.
I always get the feeling that my stare is too hard, and I look away. If I want to threaten someone I can hold a rock solid stare, but I can't do normal, innocuous eye contact. So it's not even about being scared, more like not being threatening.
Have any of you figured it out? Post your experiences?
>pic unrelated
>>
Listening: Maintain contact, glance at their expressions, focus on words not eyes.
Speaking: Look away when you think, maintain when you deliver.
>>
>>35573813
>focus on words not eyes
Do you mean look at the mouth? Sometimes I do that when I can't hear clearly (background noise and stuff like that).
>>
Stop fapping. After 2-3 weeks in I can maintain eye contact.
>>
File: 1481715475801.jpg (12KB, 315x310px) Image search: [Google]
1481715475801.jpg
12KB, 315x310px
Thinking about it, I haven't looked anyone straight in the eyes for years. I can't do it. It's unsettling for me.
>>
>>35573943
No you don't focus on anything except their voice. You should then gaze naturally. Of course easier said then done cus I struggle too.
>>
I can do it just fine with women but it's hard to keep with men. I start feeling like they want to fuck me if they look at me in eye for too long. Its unpleasant.
>>
me too, anon. i hate telling you this but it's an aspergers thing. we are all fucking autistic.
>>
The trick is to just look towards the center of their face, it doesn't have to necessarily be their eyes.

If you focus on their nose, or forehead or whatever, it still looks like you're making eye contact but without the pressure.
>>
>>35574062
Yeah I know that. A psychologist once told me that I'm not autistic, that I just need to learn social skills, but I didn't believe him. I know that there's something wrong with me, I always knew.
>>
File: freakingoutanimu.jpg (56KB, 600x464px) Image search: [Google]
freakingoutanimu.jpg
56KB, 600x464px
>>35573497
I know the feel anon. Thing is, I wasn't always like this. There was a time where I knew how to hold genuine eye contact. However, I lost this skill around...I wanna say the 7th grade? Pretty much when my social anxiety kicked in. It's one of those things where once you lose it, you will never be the same again. It's like a bad redpill. Feels fucking bad man.
>>
File: 1450372653461.jpg (95KB, 903x714px) Image search: [Google]
1450372653461.jpg
95KB, 903x714px
Ha, I can relate to that feeling of not wanting to come off as [MENACING] anon.

>I dont know what im supposed to do.

What I do is make eye contact when I say something that I feel is important.

>How long

As long as you want, theres no time limit. I do 2-3 seconds.

>It's not even about being scared, more like not being threatening.

Don't overthink this too much. Theres more to coming off as threatening than just your gaze.
>>
>>35574452
>As long as you want, theres no time limit.
Well, I can hold it but how do I avoid the "I'm going to cut your fucking throat" stare?
I mean, probably this is all in my head, maybe the others don't even find me menacing (or maybe they do, fuck if I know)... I hate my autism, man.
>>
>>35574582
Don't open your eyes too wide, keep them chilled and normal/neutral while talking to someone. And try slightly smiling or grinning to make it look like you have a happy facial expression so the person can feel comfortable with you.
>>
>>35574740
>Don't open your eyes too wide
This is not a problem
>And try slightly smiling or grinning
Yeah, I noticed that when I look people in the eye often they make that half smile, and that's when I look away. Maybe the key is here... But I can't do a forced smile, I always look like a retard.
>>
>>35574452

>How do I avoid the "I'm going to cut your fucking throat" stare?

Don't stare Anon. Eye contact is important to let someone know that you are paying attention to the conversation.

3 seconds is more than enough.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.