[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joining Military with Trump as CiC

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

Trump is pretty vocal about wanting to spend way more on the military. I might disagree with that politically, but does that mean that it will be a good time to join the military?

I enlisted after graduating college a few years ago. I wanted to become a 35p in the Army. I went through for two years and got a certificate of language in Korean and then was discharged under honorable conditions because of some BS. Since then I've gone back to school and gotten a Masters.

I've always wanted to become an officer in the Navy. I believe the Navy is the one essential branch of the armed forces, I love the uniforms, and I love the idea of serving on a ship, possible.

Good idea? I'll graduate with my Masters in a year. I have other ideas in mind, I'm just throwing things around.
>>
Even with more funding. None of that money will be seen by you. Our Healthcare is the most basic, and the only reason we get it is because they want to maintain healthy soldiers with minimum funds. Our food is bad. Read up on companies selling expired meat to the military.
>>
>>35573444
>>35572652
>>35573016

Why are you spamming the board you faggot?
>>
>>35573495
I don't give a damn about any of that mate, I'm married and got a housing allowance before and will be using it again.

>>35573512
I am not that poster, sorry.
>>
you're an idiot if you think that means that the grunts will be getting a higher salary
>>
>>35573547
I'm not talking about a higher salary, I'm talking about the general environment. When I was enlisted, the military was drastically cutting down and they were looking for any reason to get rid of people. Things were extremely competitive and the standards very high. I have the impression that around the time of 9/11 things were significantly more lax = better time to serve.
>>
>>35573444

I wouldn't. They're turning the military into a goddamned social experiment, even the Navy isn't safe from that bullshit. They're weakening the military with bullshit 'classes' that take up time better spent towards real training, and really? We need to CUT funding to the military, not increase it. The US Army buys a fuckton of tanks every year it doesn't even use just to justify their budget, and while I believe we need to maintain a military presence, we also need to direct more of that cashflow towards education and healthcare.

tl;dr: DON'T FUCKING DO IT, YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.
>>
>>35573571

Also the 'draw down' we expected to see didn't work like it was supposed to; all the new BS policies and desperation to meet their deadline in numbers means that a LOT of really good soldiers are leaving, and they keep the shitbags.

That was Army, though. Again...doubt it's different in the other branches. Also get ready to have transtrenders working with you.
>>
>>35573575
I've already been in the military as an enlisted and I agree it sucked and I hated being a college grad having obviously ignorant and small minded NCOs. Is it any better as an officer?
>>
>>35573616

I was Enlisted, so I don't know. And again I can only speak from Army experience. But a bad mark on an NCOER can be erased with enough time. A bad mark on an OER is a career-ender, doesn't matter what it is. And if the Navy is like the Army, you won't be picking your MOS/Rate, they will give you one.

Get ready to have nobody respect you as an LT/Ensign, and God help you if you try to play the 'I outrank you' card on anyone E-5 or higher. Sit down, shut up and observe is your best chance.

Or just go Warrant. All the privileges of an Officer with none of the bullshit.
>>
>>35573444
>he thinks the soldiers get that money

soldiers qualify for food stamps they make so little when they're not deployed in combat.
>>
>>35573683
So even as an officer it's just another environment of dickwads hazing you for no reason other than to swing their own dicks? What a degenerate military our country has.
>>
>>35573739
>implying things that were not implied
>>
>>35573444
The Navy is pretty chill from my experience, but I'm in subs; which are like the last bastion of refuge from the influx of equality-seeking females.
>>
>>35573683

Also all I can say is this: If you do go back in, Navy or Army or whatever, once you've 'made it' as an Officer and you've got your shiny new glue-sniffer rank, immediately tell your commanding officer you want to speak to your brigade E-9(or whatever the Navy has in place of brigades), and when you see your E-9, tell him it's because you want to learn about real leadership.

And if he's a true NCO, he'll sit you down and give you a lecture, and you might learn more in one session with that guy than you did in officer school.

They might also respect you a little more as someone willing to learn from the 'lower-ranking' who've been in a hell of a lot longer, and not being 'that guy', immediately coming into your unit/ship/whatever with a 'I'm the platoon leader and we're doing what I say' mentality, cuz that will just give them reason to throw you under the bus.
>>
>>35573741

This is the way it is from my understanding:

2-1LT: You don't know shit.

CAP/CO: You still don't know shit, but you make it up on the fly, and we do it anyway because you're the Company Commander.

MAJ/XO: Approaching the first real rank achieved by an Officer, your worth is still slightly less than that of pretty much any E-7, and they likely know more. If you're an Executive Officer, we hate you: Shut the fuck up and sign my dispatch so I can take my vehicle out of the fucking motor pool just for it to FALL APART AGAIN FUCK.

LTCOL: The first 'real' rank achieved by an Officer. Termed a 'good' Officer if he still does PT with the men.

COL: Stopped doing PT. Nobody questions it. Don't look him in the eye, ESPECIALLY if he has a Ranger tab.

1-4 Star General: If you noticed the star, you've been staring too long. Salute and walk away quickly, because one look from these guys can end your career and possibly your life.

Beyond that, I don't know what the fuck they do. They're all a bunch of goddamned desk jockies who make more than me despite doing considerably LESS work, because of a 'degree'.

Officers are there to make up new retarded policies and get you killed overseas.
>>
>>35573883
What a bleak and depressing picture. Why is the military so toxic?
>>
>>35573950

>the military

These are just my opinions, bro. Some of them might be true, but if you didn't get the subtext: I dislike Officers. I really couldn't see the use for any of our LT's. And the Battery Commander was a friggin idiot who went Green-to-Gold as a pissed-off and disgruntled CORPORAL, for fucks' sake. 1SG was barely any better, if they weren't wrestling for control of the battery they were defending their own idiotic decisions without actually correcting anything.

I also had kind of a shitty unit, though. I got out after one contract.
>>
>>35574091
I had a lame experience too. Everyone in my unit was a short high school student into modern popular culture. It was nothing like what I thought it would be. I didn't feel close to anyone.

You dislike officers sure, but we're talking about becoming one here.
>>
>>35573950
I think it might just be an Army thing.

In the Navy, officers can be a big deal (admirals in particular), but they aren't as terrifying as he paints them to be in the Army.

They're basically managers. They either do paper work or they watch the guys that handle the equipment.

The ranks I've encountered with the most consistent instance of sticks up the ass are PO1s/E6 and Chiefs/E7. Luckily, the assholes seem less likely to make senior chief or master chief.

Don't know if things are better or worse in the Air Force or Marines, but Navy officers don't seem to be too terrible.
>>
>>35573444
Navy gay. U gay
>>
I leave in less than a month to bct as a 15Q did I fuck up r9k?
>>
>>35574352

15Q - Air Traffic Control Operator? Is that really a thing? Jesus. Look man, if you made a commitment I say keep it. You already signed the paper. But you also haven't gotten on that plane yet. Nothing to stop you from not doing so, if you really wanted...
>>
>>35574255
Is there any facet of the military where it is actually redeemable? IN MY MIND, military officers are cultured straight white men who care about their country and themselves. They're not SJW multiculturalists and they're not dickswinging jockbros trying to prove something by wielding rank like a sword. They're fair people who want to see you succeed and do well and they generally care about other people. It's not a culture of hazing for the sake of hazing.

Does this exist? Or is the military literally where high school graduates and backwoods country people go because how their patriotic country songs make them feel?
>>
>>35573522
>I'm Married
>>>>>>>>>>>/trash/
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>35573883
>one look from these guys can end your career and possibly your life
can i hear some scary stories about generals
>>
>>35574843

I don't have any as I followed my own advice. Salute, "Good morning/afternoon/evening, Sir/Ma'am" and walk away. No reason to talk to them. No reason for them to talk to me. And they're usually followed by a gaggle of other high-ranking Officers. Show me a lower enlisted willing to stick with that group and I'll show you a guy who's gonna get pulled apart by the GEN's Sergeant Major cuz boy what the FUCK are you still doing standing here, and HOLD THE FUCK UP let me get a look at your hair and are those boots regulation? Boy....

...and who wants to deal with that? Not me, man.
>>
>>35574536

For all of my shit-talking I have met a few good Officers. But they're usually foreigners who got citizenship through the Army. For instance, met a chaplain from Africa, nice guy, worked hard to get into the Army.
>>
yooo I'm literally at the presidio right now. I hate my life
>>
>>35575010
Really?

You're in one of the best places in the world.. especially if you get married and can enjoy off campus housing. My wife and I traveled all over the Western seaboard. One weekend we just went to Seattle. Every other week we'd go to San Francisco, Sacramento, LA.. such beautiful places. I long to go back. I'm in nowhereville Virginia and I see downtown Monterey so vividly I could walk it in my sleep.
>>
>>35574986

Maybe the only good Officer I personally had, was a 1LT as the acting BC. White, not from the south, really good guy. Had his shit together. With him and my old 1SG work was much better. Still sucked, but we got off in a timely fashion when our work was done, and I don't recall any real BS. Now the guys who replaced them, different story.

But yeah, there can be some good Officers. And my theory as to why a lot of them aren't(particularly the younger ones) is because, again, you don't get to choose your MOS. Had some leave after their first contract because they didn't wanna be stuck as Field Artillery Officers.
>>
>>35575058
It's changed. Completely. I hear stories about how it used to be good. We're not allowed to drink. And we have to sign in every night, including weekends. Just last night our 1st Sgt made us clean after class until 9. wake up every single morning at 4 for pt
>>
>>35573444
>the Navy is the one essential branch of the armed forces
Infantry will always be the most essential. But the Air Force probably has the best future, right now.

The navy will be good once we start building the first interplanetary battlecruisers. The Navy will likely be in charge of that at first, having the most experience with the kind of life and environment on such a vessel.

So, yeah, join the Navy.
>>
>>35575169
I mean when you go way back to the Founders. They were opposed to standing armies completely, and I kind of agree with them--but they wanted a strong and up-to-date Navy to deter potential aggressors.
>>
>>35575235
But what does the Navy do when the enemy are already within the borders?

Sail to south america, march an army up through central america and invade along the border. Skip the navy entirely.
Or use spies, like everyone does these days.
>>
>>35575272
...what does the Army do? If the enemy are already within the borders, then you're talking about a fifth column or some kind of subversive group. Nobody could get within our borders because of our defense of the coasts. An Army is hardly any use against a fifth column or subversive group. At that point you need counterintelligence.
>>
>>35575272
>>35575298

The CG and Navy both do a pretty good job of watching our ocean. Coming up from Central America and now you deal with border patrol. Get past that and we can mobilize the Army and Marine Reserves and NG. Assuming such an army would make it that far(unlikely).

Also:

>implying there aren't foreign spies in the country right now

Got some bad news about 'The Enemy' for you...
>>
>>35575298
What I'm saying is that the US has borders that aren't coast. Having a navy as your primary military is only good if you're an island.
>>
>>35575235

Nevermind, I missed this post entirely. From an 'only having a Navy' standpoint, then yeah, the Founders were wrong. I believe we're only supposed to have state-run militias(like what the NG is supposed to be) and not a standing army unless we're in a time of war. I think.
>>
>>35573444
I wish I could blow my brains out. The military is what could've saved me, but since I have eczema they don't want me.
>>
>>35575487

The military won't stop suicidal depression homie. I know that for a fact.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.