[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody else root for the villain?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 21

File: latest.jpg (66KB, 568x513px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
66KB, 568x513px
Is there anybody else around here that roots for the villain in works of fiction? I remember, even when I was a little kid, for some reason I'd almost always want the villain to ultimately win in almost anything that I was watching.

Nowadays it's probably closer to 50/50, but I still find myself rooting for the villain as an adult. A lot of times, they'll be a lot more likeable and make a lot better points than the "hero" characters do. A lot of times, I even feel like the villain is more of a hero than the "hero" is.
>>
>>35543270

Depends what the villain stands for. But yeah in most fiction these days the villain is ironically in the right preaching responsibility and hard work whereas the "hero" is the person who defends people's rights to indulge, be lazy, and be degenerate.
>>
>>35543270
Yes, sicne I was a child I loved villains like Bowser
>>
>>35543583

tl;dr Big Brother is the good guy in 1984.
>>
File: griffith-2212.jpg?t=1487973065.jpg (28KB, 347x477px) Image search: [Google]
griffith-2212.jpg?t=1487973065.jpg
28KB, 347x477px
I even dream about him sometimes.
>>
>>35543270
Yes, ever since I played kingdom hearts 2 and heard my lord and savior Xemnas say things like

"nothingness is eternal" and "anger and hate are supreme" I knew I was rooting for team dark
>>
File: 1466913039487-r9k.jpg (68KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
1466913039487-r9k.jpg
68KB, 500x483px
why of course brother
>>
Anyone ever read this book? The main character is a chad who goes around killing betas and raping girls and he eventually gets sent to prison but gets released early in exchange for agreeing to be "brainwashed" into being a good citizen which leaves him unable to fight back when other people attack him and we're supposed to feel "sorry" for him and be mad at the "evil" government. The ending of the book has his brainwashing undone and he ends up being a free man who still engages in "ultraviolence".

The "lesson" of this book is that chad should have the right to choose a life of crime and any attempt to take away that choice is "evil".
>>
>>35543619
What are those dreams about, exactly?
>>
>>35543666
>>35543619

I feel like Berserk is getting more popular
>>
>>35543709

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rEGeh7fpKg
>>
>>35543270
>Is there anybody else around here that roots for the villain in works of fiction?
I dont like cliche villains or hero's. I prefer the one's who are villains because it's convenient for protagonist to see them as one. Basically Handsome Jack is one.
>>
>>35543806
every /a/fag has been fapping to it for at least a decade though
>>
OPs first teenage edgelord phase

>>35543666
nice behelit trips
>>
File: k-serk.jpg (236KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
k-serk.jpg
236KB, 1000x1414px
>>35543619
GRIIIIFFFIIITHHHHH .o.------.g.
>>
Rooting for someone based on their role alone is retarded
>>
>>35543270
If it's a good villain, then sure thing.

Unfortunately we get very few GOOD villains anymore (Thanks Marvel).

Best one I've seen in years is Yoshikage Kira (Fuck you, I only just finished the anime). Yeah he's fucked up but his ultimate goal of living a quiet life without too much trouble is noble save for the whole killing girls and jerking off with their hands thing.
>>
>>35543934
>good villain
Such as?
>>
Goru? Is that you?
>>35543270
>>
garrosh did nothing wrong
guldan did nothing wrong
leave my orcs alone
>>
>>35544035
Final solution of the trolls when?
>>
>>35544101
>voljin becomes warchief
>does absoluteley nothing
>dies to trashnpc
not part of the TRUE HORDE
>>
>>35543709
Yes, it's a great book actually, I empathized with him a lot
>>
>genuinely good "villain" who never did anything wrong is viciously tortured while still being kept alive just to suffer even more
>>
Usually the villians are self made men/women, while the heroes unfairly stumble upon their powers, by way of a master teacher who looks homeless, or by way of reasons out of their control.

Think Lex Luthor and Superman. Lex was born poor to abusive parents, and founded a company by cashing in on the life insurance policy he took out on them. He had orchestrated their deaths (which is screwed up, but still).
Superman was born to a chad on another planet, and got his powers simply because of the Earth's close distance to the Sun.

Who the fuck would you root for? The normie chad who had everything handed to him, or the robot genius who struggled for everything he had. That's why he's so pissed at Superman; Superman put no effort into becoming great, yet he goes around acting like he had.
>>
>>35543270
I root for the villain because the villain is usually more interesting.
>>
>>35544324
This guy gets it. The bad guy always has the better more pragmatic and realistic perspective.
>>
Of course

Its because villains usually seek out to change the status quo. People like robots are punished with the way things are, we are bottom class citizens and normals wish we were dead.

Its natural to root for the guy who is trying to change things.
>>
>>35544324
>self made women
female villains are always inferior.
>>
>>35544324
Look at Batman v Joker

One saw their parents killed in front of them after they went to a closed off alley. Gotham is a high crime shithole, and this has certainly happened before. The only difference is Bruce's money allowing him to get good.

One of the Joker's reported backstories is that he was a failed comedian forced to take up robbery to support his pregnant wife. He fucked up on the first job, jumped into a vat of acid to escape Batman, which made him look like how he's known. His wife dies before the robbery, but he still was forced to go rob.
It really was a sick fucking joke. No wonder he went insane, lol.

If only the Joker could be himself...
>>
>>35543619
this anime made me gay, fucking Griffith that bastard twink boi
>>
>>35544286
Well that kind of was the point. The big reveal is how animalistic and violent the "humans" are while the mole people have been the victim of all of it. I really like that one, shame it got overlooked that season for fucking Ghost in the Pass.
>>
>>35543270

We need more of them irl too
>>
>>35543827
>handsome jack
>gouging peoples eyeballs out with a spoon for entertainment
>ordering moonshots on civilian villages
>not a villain

sure...
>>
>>35543955
Magneto
Yoshikage Kira
Every Fist of the North Star villain except Juda
Toguro
Akuma
Maximilian Pegasus

What defines a villain as being "good" is that they aren't evil for the sake of being evil. Rather, they have a goal and set out to achieve it, and this goal conflicts with the protagonist's goal in some way, and that paints him as the villain. Bad villians are just evil for the sake of evil (e.g. Dio, the Joker, Frieza).
>>
File: 1483821219715.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1483821219715.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>35543270
>movies where the villain/bad group are pretty much nazis
I'm looking at you Harry Potter and Force Awakens
>>
>>35545307
While we're at it, I hate stories like Harry Potter where the main character is special just because of "birthright," by all objective measures being a considerable piece of trash.
>>
>>35543270
I only really rooted for Kira. I don't know, I guess I just felt like I could relate with him in some way. Not the killing part, obviously.
>>
File: light-yagami.jpg (45KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
light-yagami.jpg
45KB, 1024x768px
Sure, why not? If the villain provides the most entertainment, I'll root for them. It's easy to do when they're the protagonist as well. It ain't new, see Richard III. Light Yagami is an example as well. He has a master plan and the means and the will to achieve it, crazy plans and cruel executions, and it is left arguable that he was ultimately doing the most good despite his evil (the "heroes" at the end still wonder if killing the "villain" was right since the world became WORSE [well, back to normal] with his defeat). Also I understand L but who the hell cheered for his successors?

>>35545224
Eh, I don't fully agree. Every antagonist will have a conflict with the protagonist and that doesn't even make them necessarily evil. But what is important to me is if that villain affects me in some way. Any villain can have good motivations or whatever, but that doesn't mean I'll care at the end of the day. Dio, the Joker, and Frieza aren't complicated but they didn't need to be to be the faces of villainry for so many people: Dio strives to be #1 and is so charismatic he naturally attracts people inside and outside the series, the Joker has no concrete motivations and is all about what he'll do, and Frieza is a sadistic tyrant who exuded this sense of invincibility, wipes the floor with everyone, it taking a warrior from fable to finally best him. I wonder how many other things factor into an impressible villain, or character in general.
>>
File: 1478030732666.jpg (233KB, 1020x960px) Image search: [Google]
1478030732666.jpg
233KB, 1020x960px
Robots are essentially anti-hero. Many anons are.
>>
File: Rip_and_tear.png (178KB, 297x234px) Image search: [Google]
Rip_and_tear.png
178KB, 297x234px
>>35545775
Remember that besides his protection from Voldemort, he is always brave and kind(emotional problems in Order of the Phoenix aside) and has huge guts.
And all of that after growing up with the Dursleys.
>>
>>35543270
Mah nigga, i knew i wasnt the only one.
So.many good "villans"
>>
>>35546922
There are good villans movies, the jackal comes to my mind, starring Bruce Willis
>>
>>35543270
The empire did N O T H I N G WR ON G
>>
>>35546054
>and it is left arguable that he was ultimately doing the most good despite his evil (the "heroes" at the end still wonder if killing the "villain" was right since the world became WORSE [well, back to normal] with his defeat)
The problem is that crime rates probably wouldn't go down if it happened in real life.(Death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent) The appeal of Death Note is that Light is an immature child who is given the power to act out a childish morality system, which most people can relate to if not endorse. He doesn't have to be right for it to work.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161115-235951_01.png (2MB, 1510x1033px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161115-235951_01.png
2MB, 1510x1033px
Not only Lex Luthor did nothing wrong but he is completely right about Superman being a danger to humans in every way
>>
>>35547257
\I'm sure in real life, things would be a lot more chaotic, rather than the general attitude of DN which is "eh, leave matters to the genius detective(s) and the outcome decides everything". And I'm sure supernatural killing wouldn't count as a plain ol' death penalty in the eyes of billions of people.

But that doesn't matter, it is left arguable within the story itself.
>>
>>35547556
If you obscured the mechanics of the supernatural killings you might convince people that there really is a god dispensing justice and let superstition take care of the rest. However it was revealed that it was a student doing this shit and so you could avoid his wrath by using fake names and not getting caught by the police or the news.

People who commit crime are either too stupid or desperate to care, or believes that they will get away with it.
>>
>>35547612
It's because most criminals are exactly geniuses that they were easy pickings. Once Light became L, even the tougher ones would have trouble and the most diligent were driven deep into the underground like the Mafia.

But that's how it worked in DN. What I was getting at was supernatural killings in real life would potentially turn the world upside down because as far we know, that has never happened in the history of ever. Do people just sit back and watch? There will be no super genius detective to take care of that.
>>
>>35547829
*aren't

screwyourobot
>>
>>35547829
I think humans are adaptive enough to learn to deal with even supernatural shit rather than end up in a perpetual state of confusion and panic.

No real difference between technology and magic as they say.
>>
File: tfw when to inteligint.jpg (133KB, 689x797px) Image search: [Google]
tfw when to inteligint.jpg
133KB, 689x797px
>implying a story with a villain/hero dichotomy is good
>>
>>35543709
I love this book. It taught me that my emotions were hopelessly worthless at deducing what's right and wrong. Although I had always known this in the back of my mind I never consciously accepted it until I read it.

One of my all time favs.
>>
>>35543270
Sometimes. I never want the villain to fail however, but I doesn't want the MC to fail either. Ive become impartial to them.
>>
>>35543270
>villain
its antogonist, retard
>>
>>35548101
>"antogonist"
>calls me a retard
>>
>>35547987
People will adapt but what will they do with this knowledge? And what happens to governments? We normally question whether things would work out for Light in real life or what someone would personally do with a Death Note, but how would it really affect the world? In the story, the world is secondary and just moves along with the duel between Kira and the detectives.
>>
>>35545823
That's probably because he was the MC. If the story was told through L's perspective then maybe not. Similary, most stories would have you rooting for the bad guy if the story was told earnestly through their point of view.
>>
I don't necessarily want the villain to win, but I've always thought they are just cooler. As a little kid, Jafar seemed so much cooler than Alladin. Captain Hook was so much cooler than Peter Pan. Scar so much cooler than Simba. Maybe I just like the villains in Disney movies.
>>
>>35548151
I think he might be talking about Yoshikage.
>>
File: AJ_Styles.jpg (79KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
AJ_Styles.jpg
79KB, 1200x675px
That's a normal thing in WWE and it's their fault for that. Though in some wrestling promotions, it's not a big deal to cheer for who you want even if it's a heel.
>>
>>35548145
>no u
yes, you retarded
>>
>>35543270

In batman I always root for the villain Bruce Wayne is just a billionaire playboy with too much time on his hands
>>
>>35546813
Harry Potter is a twat. Fuck Harry Potter.
>>
>>35548633
>trust fund baby, star player of his sports team, school representative in interschool tournaments, became a cop, married his highschool sweetheart and gets away with bullshit because he befriended the headmaster

Fucking Chad normie
>>
Literally lost because he became too strong during battle. I liked him because he decided to live by becoming the biggest dog in a dog eat dog world.
>>
>>35543806
I think it'll be normie-tier pretty soon.

Unfortunately, it will also never be finished.
>>
does kira count as villain?
>>
>>35550013
Sure, why not? His name's all over this thread.
>>
>>35548029
>implying that ascending to solzhenitsyn levels of dichotomy in which the heroes are pathetic and weak and the villains are insanely successful supermen is not the ultimate form of literature
>>
>>35543270
>tfw you're the villain
Guess I might as well root for the villains too
>>
File: the major.jpg (199KB, 1416x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the major.jpg
199KB, 1416x1080px
>no one posted major
If you didn't root for him you have no soul.
>>
>>35544324
Superman doesn't go around "acting like he put in effort," he uses his superpowers to save people from murderers like Lex.

this is why you get no play
>>
>>35544610
you fucking dumbass how did Bruce Wayne's money allow him to "get good."
there are tons of villains in comics who were born rich, it has nothing to do with it
>>
>>35551666
>you fucking dumbass how did Bruce Wayne's money allow him to "get good."
I see what you're getting at, but how did it not? Batman couldn't be Batman if he didn't have billions of dollars, that's not even debatable.
>>
>>35551740
>moving the goalposts
you're such a villain
>>
>>35551814
I'm not even that guy, you fucker.

...Do you at least root for me now, though?
>>
File: 2du9xc8[1].png (170KB, 640x355px) Image search: [Google]
2du9xc8[1].png
170KB, 640x355px
I didn't really root for him exactly, but as the arc went on I started to see that he wasn't such a bad guy after all, could emphasize with him a little bit especially towards the end. The ending of the arc with him and komugi really gave me the feels.
>>
>>35552764

Best arc ever. Goddamn.
>>
>>35553373

I know, goddam that arc was long as hell, but it was amazing. It was unlike anything else in the show up until that point, a mixture of depressing, feels, and crazy.
>>
File: BobPage.png (296KB, 515x510px) Image search: [Google]
BobPage.png
296KB, 515x510px
>>35543270
I was reading the Deus Ex Bible which mentioned Bob Page's motives being centered around his insecurities. Would that be robot like?
>>
>>35551666
Well, both Joker and batman were traumatized by shitty luck.

One was a billionaire, and one wasn't.

And you are completely correct. Many villains are rich. The rich villians don't act like they've gotten it because of their work, however. Most of the rich villains recognize their privilege.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.