[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are unpaid internships even legal?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: Unpaid-Internships.jpg (330KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Unpaid-Internships.jpg
330KB, 750x500px
How are unpaid internships even legal?
>>
i guess they add experience to your curriculum later.
>>
>>35516910
i had an internship for 3 months, got nothing from it except contact which is the most important thing right now, i hope to get some kind of job there once i graduate in 3 months.
>>
File: 1478888179247.jpg (15KB, 397x296px) Image search: [Google]
1478888179247.jpg
15KB, 397x296px
Because they're voluntary?
>>
>>35516910
there are some unpaid internships that require you to pay them
>>
>>35516910
Wanting to be paid for your work is entitlement, goyim. Only your masters deserve money.
>>
>>35516910
To stop lower class plebs from breaking into certain industries, I imagine.
>>
>>35516910
because they can.

Essentially you trade labor for training. It's still unfair, but there's not much you can do about it.
>>
>>35517023
there's really no difference between that and going to college. Honestly you're probably better off paying for a real hands-on internship than going to school
>>
Nobody is forcing you to take one. That your chances at employment are significantly lower if you don't is just a coincidence.
>>
File: college.png (63KB, 1319x363px) Image search: [Google]
college.png
63KB, 1319x363px
>>35517046

Ummm no sweetie, back to pol
>>
>>35517046
Ahh but you see friendo, you have to have a degree before they'll give you privilege of paying them
>>
>>35517022
It would still be voluntary if you had a job that paid less than minimum wage, but that's very illegal. But somehow if you drop the pay to zero it can be legal.
>>
>>35516910
supply and demand, boys.
supply and demand
>>
File: ancap-meme.png (200KB, 547x402px) Image search: [Google]
ancap-meme.png
200KB, 547x402px
nobody is forcing you to do anything in the market

nobody's forcing you to not die a miserable death of hunger

nobody's forcing you to debase yourself and deny your humanity just to get some scraps from the table where the big boys feast
>>
>>35517110
There should be no minimum wage for the same reason, it would be a purely voluntary relationship. The reason its so hard to find a job is because of the minimum wage, among other things.
>>
>>35517160
If there is no minimum wage it becomes are race to the floor seeing who will work for the least
>>
>>35516910
Pretty sure "unpaid internship" is just a fancy word for "voluntary work that could turn into paid work if we like you enough". That's why it's legal.

At this point, I don't even bother questioning the hypocrisy and absurdity of the job market. I'm so bloody desperate I will work for anyone willing to give me that work experience that 99% of employers require these days.

Too many fucking engineer new grads, I'm competing with at least 50 applicants for every job I apply to.
>>
>>35517301
No, the price of labor will match the supply and demand. Labor is still a finite resource. Employers will pay better wages if they are going to hire better employees.
>>
They are and they shouldn't be.

Work for free and still have ZERO guarantee of getting a paying job.
>>
>>35517301
>people earning ~1 dollar per hour
>they can't afford things in markets
>markets aren't making money because people can't afford things
>markets lower their prices across the board
>deflation happens
>middle class gets rich again
>>
File: 1407834347828.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1407834347828.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
>>35517414
>he drank the Neo con coolaid

I'd feel bad for you if you weren't such a fucking
retard
>>
It illegal in some places, especially if what you do makes them money.
>>
File: 1489468465486.png (55KB, 916x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1489468465486.png
55KB, 916x1100px
Muhahahshaha ha

Fools
>>
>>35516910
>be engineering student
>work ass off at internships
>make $17-20/hr
>graduate
>go to law school
>unpaid internship
>there's almost nothing to do past noon any given day, have to find work

Maybe it's because these unpaid ones are literal do nothing positions
>>
>>35517341
This and rampant nepotism are why I have completely given up.
>>
File: 1485651329410.jpg (60KB, 510x427px) Image search: [Google]
1485651329410.jpg
60KB, 510x427px
>>35517364
>Labor is a finite force
If the employer could he would not pay the workers, there will always be more people looking for work than there will be work

>Boss man "Rinse shitters for 7$/h"
>Worker man "Fuck that i won't do it, increase the pay and we will talk"
>Immigrant Pedro "Ill do it for 5$"
>Boss man "Sold to the desperate man with ragged clothes!"
>Immigrant Pedro "American dream!"
>Boss man "Yes Pedro, dream big!"

>Employee man "Well shit what work we got left?"
>Boss man 2 "You can come work for free, i might hire you with actual pay i might not"
>Employee man "Wtf that's stupid fuck no!"
>Fresh meat student "Ill do it, you promise to consider paying me right?"
>Boss man 2 "Yes student boy, i promise to consider paying you for your labor"
>Fresh meat student "Oh boy, the American dream!"
>Boss man 2 "Yes student boy, dream big!"

>Employee man "Wtf these options suck, isn't there any real work?"
>Boss man 3 "You can come to my company, that is if you know anyone from the inside who can vouch for you"
>Employee man "But i don't know anyone from your company.."
>Connected brat "My Father works in your company"
>Boss man 3 "Welcome to the family kid!"
>Connected brat "Psh self made man coming through peasants!"
>Boss man 3 "American dream come true my boy, now lets get you initiated into our club"

>Employee man "Oh well i guess i can try to look for jobs as cashier"
>Boss man 4 "You're welcome to join the company, now are you black, woman or retarded?"
>Employee man "Im a straight white man and im not retarded
>Boss man 4 "Oh gee thats a bummer mate, we need to fill those quotas before we hire anyone else, guess you have too look elsewhere"

Equal opportunities, American dream
>>
>>35516910
most unpaid internships are actually illegal

bureau enforcing that shit too underfunded to pursue it though, and people taking the jobs don't know shit about workplace laws lol
>>
>>35517022
I had to MANDITORY intern for FREE for 10 months (40 hours a week) as part of getting my diploma. Catch is: they made us actually PAY school because they count it as school time even though you are not even in school.

Literally jews oy vey school system

Also clients of the companies we intern at are getting jewed because the companies charge them full price even though they let crappy students to their work
>>
You still get something to put on your CV, which could really help once you apply for a real job
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.