[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate anime? Is hating it some cruel meme?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 477
Thread images: 64

File: 1470022664621.jpg (23KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470022664621.jpg
23KB, 480x480px
Why do people hate anime?

Is hating it some cruel meme?
>>
anime is for children. if youre unironically watching chinese cartoons over the age of 10 as your only hobby other than playig video games youre a degenerate who will be first on the day of the rope
>>
>>35491381
i like the artstyle itself but anime/manga is childish shit
>>
File: minamisan.jpg (183KB, 1732x1030px) Image search: [Google]
minamisan.jpg
183KB, 1732x1030px
>>35491381
because people hate nice things. I too was not into anime after I stopped initially watching in the 90's on cartoon network's original toonami, but a few years ago I got back into it and it's all I watch.
>>
File: clay.jpg (169KB, 904x904px) Image search: [Google]
clay.jpg
169KB, 904x904px
>>35491381
>Japs can't into humour
>jokes consist of "he did something socially unacceptable" and then another character pointing out what he did with a ridiculous exaggerated reaction
>their polite culture is boring
>High pitched loli voices are like nails on a chalkboard
>>
Anime is pretty bad but thats not why its hated, its hated because the people who like it are awful.
>>
Japan has made many Americans butthurt for a long time, first because of the war, then because of their economic ascension, and then because of the rise of their pop culture. Anime made them particularly butthurt because it beat America at its own game, and that's just not something you're allowed to do.

And it's also a meme. People hate it because other people hate it.

>>35491401
>>35491409
Most anime is not made for children.

>>35491475
Weeaboos are a meme too, and most self-described anime fans don't even like it.
>>
>>35491381
It's another case of hip cynicism.

Pleb normies who can't get into it feel as though it should be beneath them so act accordingly.

Sad desu, animu and mango are exceptional art forms.
>>
>>35492608
Patrician opinion anon. You are correct, I didn't consider the defensive xenophobia.
>>
>>35491381
>shitty writing
>shitty animation
>shitty art style
I'd rather stick to western cartoons, thanks.
>>
>>35491448
better than "BAZINGEL"

also, a lot of japanese humor in anime is based in character interactions. you'll never be able to invest in it with an attention span like yours.
>>
>>35492684
could you list a few examples? I'd like to know what's going on that's good in american cartoons. it's pretty hard to compete with japan considering the nips push out like 1600% the amount of non-child focused animated material.
>>
>>35492608
Oh yeah I forgot an important thing.

Animation is mostly dumbed down children's entertainment in America, and Americans are very particular about being age appropriate and every demographic sticking to their own sandbox, so anime is highly problematic since it's mostly not made for children and people are expected to take it seriously.

>>35492684
>shitty writing
There's shitty writing everywhere.

>shitty animation
It's the best there is.

>shitty art style
It's much more detailed and sophisticated than in American animation.
>>
File: 1482563024421.jpg (50KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1482563024421.jpg
50KB, 409x409px
you bitch niggers SHIT watch le attack o totom an LOVE LOVE it's all new shit you fuckers should be lovin le fuckin good yo EVA n CHOBITS
FUCKASS GOOD NIPPON 4 LYF
>>
anime is normie shit now in 2017, everyone has seen an anime they've liked at some point
>>
File: 1460310544978.jpg (142KB, 798x598px) Image search: [Google]
1460310544978.jpg
142KB, 798x598px
>>35491401
posting on a site called 4chan, with literally 4boards for animes. Made by anime posters for anime posters.

It's time to leave nigga
>>
>>35491381
Because most of it is a carbon copy of some other anime and has horrid writing that only super autists could find funny. Not saying western things are better because there's certainly that issue for it, but aside from a few good ones like ghost in the shell and cowboy beebop it's just escapist bullshit that makes my eyes want to barf. And the voice acting...it's either a shitty English or a high pitched Japanese. I will give credit to where it's due though, the animation can be really nice and whenever something original comes along (that's not high school/fairy land/video game clone #5,678,435) it can be extremely well done.
>>
People do hate anime, but it is not for the reason you might think.
There are two folds to that answer: the first, is the in-out group idea.
Anime is very much still an in-group, meaning that it is a minority of people that are alike to one another, and therefore constitute an homogeneous block. You might not think of it as it, but it is pretty much the case, as you share many values and interest with other anime-watchers. But it is a large minority, and due to the fact that it is a minority, it has a tendency to be very picky about his members, and to isolate itself from society. This creates an in-out group phenomenon: either you're for anime, or you're against it.
This is the breeding ground for hate: just like two nations have different nationalities, and tensions can appear between these two, the same happens here.
The second reason is that hate is the strongest of human emotion: it is the emotion that produces the most chemicals in the brain, and is often well remembered. It also breeds hate very well, propagating itself easily. Therefore, it is easy to propagate and intensify hate against anime.

I highly recommend a video made by CGP Grey on the subject of hate and these kinds of phenomenon, it explains a lot about it.
>>
>>35491381
The same people that unironically hate anime are also people who will still play video games.

Also I'd argue that at least some of the anime hate is because of people like steam shitposters and more than that people here just hate it because someone else finds joy in it.
>>
>>35492751
what nignog language is this?
>>
File: 345345.jpg (279KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
345345.jpg
279KB, 1280x720px
>>35492814
>aside from a few good ones like [child's shounen] and [child's shounen], it's just bs
it's always the kiddies with the turd opinions
>>
File: 1489269884094.jpg (692KB, 1200x1586px) Image search: [Google]
1489269884094.jpg
692KB, 1200x1586px
>>35492835
I unironically hate anime and video games
>>
File: 1488857436953.jpg (81KB, 419x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488857436953.jpg
81KB, 419x480px
two bombs weren't enough, anime is trash
>>
>>35492861
this tbqhwyatoalitt
>>
For all its cliches and stereotypes, anime is something I've always adored and been entranced by. It has its share of good and bad (a lot of it bad unfortunately) but doesn't everything? It always saddens me when I see or read how people won't even give it a chance because they were exposed to some shitty aspect of the medium before they could even get a look at some genuinely incredible shows like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuRajFzMYI
>>
>>35492853
Then you're better than most that hate anime.
>>
>>35492880
you're very autistic.
>>
>>35492881
Not really, hating 1 good thing is better than hating 2 good things.
>>
>>35492787
That's like saying icebergs are small based on what you see above the water surface.

Most anime is not mainstream, only a few are.

>>35492814
>Because most of it is a carbon copy of some other anime
Anime is more varied than live action TV.

>aside from a few good ones like ghost in the shell and cowboy beebop
Baby's First Anime. From decades ago.

>it's just escapist bullshit
A lot of anime is escapist, but so what? I don't understand people who want to spend every single waking hour obsessing over some political bullshit or their own personal lives, and then treat it as some moral responsibility that everyone must be expected to fulfill.

>high pitched
Meme. Different characters have different voices.

>whenever something original comes along (that's not high school/fairy land/video game clone #5,678,435) it can be extremely well done.
Why is something not original just because its setting is high school, a fantasy world or a video game?
>>
>>35492898
not him but video games are for children.

you might not think so now but in a few years when you aren't one, you'll understand.
>>
>>35491381
most of them are shit desu
>>
>>35492914
Video games are for everyone.
>>
>>35492914
I hardly have played video games lately but it's a platform for expression of any kind which makes it a good thing to me.
>>
>>35492898
It's subjective.

Plus I meant it was only good in the sense that someone who calls someone a manchild because they watch anime but they play games is completely illogical.
>>
File: 1487718252147.jpg (104KB, 589x571px) Image search: [Google]
1487718252147.jpg
104KB, 589x571px
>anime is dead!!1! it's all moeblob pandering fanservice trashsh!!!
look under the surface. here's an OP to a currently airing series that doesn't get a lot of attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHZ7l8CH9k

also there's nothing wrong with moeblob fan service
>>
>>35492931
Cool but I've watched like 120 that aren't shit.
>>
>>35492891
Thanks? Yes, that's original.
>>
>>35492956
>120 that aren't shit
that's how I know you have bad taste
>>
>>35492967
You've probably seen like 50 anime max
>>
>>35492931
>most of 10k+ series are shit
by that metric there could still be thousands of great series. I've come across a couple hundred so far.
>>
File: 1486093450932.jpg (11KB, 180x135px) Image search: [Google]
1486093450932.jpg
11KB, 180x135px
>>35492967
I've seen well over 120 good series personally.

let me guess....you watched cowboy bebop, ttgl, lain and everything else is trash?
>>
>>35492947
People who complain about that kind of stuff never watch any shows that don't fit their pre-conceptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xS8gohdpEM

>>35492967
Taste is a meme.
>>
File: 1488205369385.jpg (80KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488205369385.jpg
80KB, 720x720px
>mfw my constructive comment is being drown by a slough of "L0L ANIME IS SHIT POO POO PEE POO"
>mfw there is no interesting conversations on this website anymore
>>
It's rare that I can enjoy anime without drinking. I tend to have fun as long as I'm blasted off my ass because it's typically simple, child-like fare. There's a handful of shows out there that are good enough that I'll watch them sober, but when you find those diamonds they're an absolute pleasure.

I bet none of you fags watched Shigurui.
>>
File: drifters ep 10.png (2MB, 1912x1080px) Image search: [Google]
drifters ep 10.png
2MB, 1912x1080px
>>35493001
>Oda Nobunaga giving arquebus technology to dwarves
sounds ridiculous in theory but is so tasteful in practice
>>
the only ones i've seen are
Naruto
dbz
kill la kill
highschool dxd
monster musume
welcome to nhk
shin chan

I watched only a little of
Tokyo goul
highschool of the dead
one punch man
one piece
fairy tail
new game new life

is there any others like nhk? or some comedy ones would be nice if they have dub that'd be great.
>>
>>35493021
you're on the wrong board. try /his/, /sci/, /lit/, /out/, /x/, some different places off the top of my head that I can think of where people engage in extended conversation.
>>
>>35493034
But I did watch shigurui
>>
>>35493034
>it's typically simple, child-like fare
What exactly are you watching? Shows for small children that never get shown or fansubbed in the West?
>>
>>35493048
>or some comedy ones
ouran highschool host club made me and my girlfriend laugh a lot together.
It has a dub too.
>>
>>35493048
If you want to, you could try Shimoseka. Greatest comedy i've ever seen when it comes to anime because it is a mix of satire and crude humor. Especially effective when drunk or high.
>>
>>35493053
>/x/
>extended conversation

That's a meme and a half. /x/ is the only board worse than /v/ for "people who don't like THING going into a thread about THING and bitching for 30 posts about it"
>>
>>35493058
Did you enjoy it? I'll be sad if not
>>35493064
The overwhelming majority of anime involves simple plotting, broad strokes characters, unsophisticated humour and has platitudinous messages at the core. I'm not saying they're bad, but they are mostly this way. There are exceptions of course, but the vast majority is as I described.

Rather than write an exhaustive list, I'll refer to another anons:
>>35493048
From his list, only NHK has mildly mature themes and even then the humour isn't especially deep or complex. I enjoyed a good few of the shows on that list but it is as I said. Shows like Tokyo Ghoul are also a good example of the sorts people cite in order to say that anime is mature because it has blood and violence. That is nonsense of course: being an edgy twelve year old is still being a twelve year old.
>>
>>35491381
Anime tropes tend to annoy me. I'm a little too neckbeard in several areas to get into them a lot of the time.

>quiet elf: ether timid as fuck or damage former katana assassin

>protagonist: idiot with "determination" superpower or friendship/hidden talent bs

>ect

this extends into lewd shit as well. No hentai does what I want
>>
File: 1453889566954.jpg (90KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1453889566954.jpg
90KB, 512x384px
>>35493048
kannagi is similar to NHK in a cute girl falls from the sky, and also good comedy. maybe try kami nomi?

for a good comedy spread try kill me baby, ichigo mashimaro, twintail ni narimasu, mitsudomoe, yuyushiki, nichijou, nichibros, watamote, joshiraku, sora no otoshimono, konosuba, panty and stocking off the top of my head. some varied material. dunno about dubs, but you should get over that shit anyway if you're going to get into anime. dubs are garbage and can ruin series easily. things like joshiraku and tatami galaxy can't even be dubbed, and LoGH is some prime un-dubbed material. like, 12/10 television.
>>
>>35493087
I don't spend a lot of time there but you are heavily cherrypicking threads if you don't think extended conversation is common there. I just checked myself and it's all over the fucking board.
>>
>>35491381
It's not funny, every show has the same character personalities, and japanese is an objectively obnoxious language. It's worse than russian.
>>
>>35493132
t. watched 4 series.
>>
>>35493099
Anime is full of complex stories and characters, and even shows made for children are much more complicated than American ones.

Maybe you if you were less drunk you would realize that you're watching watching an American show and not a Japanese one.

>Shows like Tokyo Ghoul are also a good example of the sorts people cite in order to say that anime is mature because it has blood and violence.
Have you considered that maturity doesn't mean just blood and violence?

>That is nonsense of course: being an edgy twelve year old is still being a twelve year old.
Tokyo Ghoul is a late night anime.

>>35493132
>every show has the same character personalities
I didn't realize K-On and Drifters have the same characters.

>japanese is an objectively obnoxious language
You're confusing objectively with subjectively.
>>
>>35493048
Kono Subarashii
I find this Anime very enjoyable to watch
maybe because im fucking autistic but i would recommend it
>>
>>35493156
I'm a full blown weeb faggot and even I'll say that tokyo ghoul is kiddie shit.

plenty of shounen gets ran past midnight, btw.
>>
>>35493156
>Have you considered that maturity doesn't mean just blood and violence?
You seem to have missed my point entirely. I'm saying that anime rarely comes closer to maturity than that. You say it's a late night anime as though that is a point of some kind. Do you imagine normal adults watch that show about school children with super powers, or are the characters' ages a little bit of a clue as to the intended audience?

>>35493150
The funny thing is, whether he'd seen 4 shows or 4000 his experience would be broadly the same. The life of an anime enthusiast is sifting through mountains of shit to find a single edible piece of corn. If you were to boil all of it down into 4 shows, there might be one or two seconds worth watching.

Of course, hobbyists come to view it as a point of pride: you have to build up your repertoire in order to appreciate the good, and you don't deserve to see the cream of the crop otherwise. What this actually means is that after watching so much of it the anime viewer will have become so used to the piss-poor standard of entertainment that they can appreciate the merest shred of quality. Meanwhile, someone who isn't used to watching it would see the pick of the bunch as decent or maybe rarely good but not the second coming the dumpster divers would have you believe.

Anime isn't that good. It's enjoyable, but in all but extremely rare cases, it isn't good. Case in point: nearly finished HxH. About ten episodes away. I enjoyed it for two arcs or so. It got onto the Chimera Ant arc and I decided I'd just have to get though it because maybe the next one would be better. Instead, this is it. The last arc. What a total waste of time this has been. Anything beyond the tower and to a lesser extent the generic MMO season has just been shite.
>>
File: noriko33.gif (1MB, 367x272px) Image search: [Google]
noriko33.gif
1MB, 367x272px
>>35493270
you're not making a good case for yourself when you say "anime is shittt!!" and talk about hxh(a literal children's show)

most stuff made for adult men is CGDCT, comedies, slice of life, fan service, maybe these things mixed with some other themes, and that's also where most of the best material is. along with occasional seinen action/dramas which there was a plethora of in the 80s and 90s. you just sound entirely ignorant of the medium to me.
>>
>>35493319
So just to be clear, your argument for anime as a sophisticated, valid medium is SoL and fan service, and nothing of value has been made in 20-30 years? I'm beginning to suspect that you're a ruseman.
>>
File: .png (739KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
.png
739KB, 1280x738px
Hatred destroys you from inside, you shouldn't hate anything.
>>
>>35493257
Tokyo Ghoul is a late night anime and it's self-evident that it isn't intended for or suitable for children.

If a series airs in the middle of the night then it means it's not aimed at children. If they wanted children to watch it they'd air it in an early timeslot.

>>35493270
>I'm saying that anime rarely comes closer to maturity than that.
It does it all time, but since you don't watch anime it would be hard for you to know that.

>You say it's a late night anime as though that is a point of some kind.
Late night anime is not aimed at children.

>Do you imagine normal adults watch that show about school children with super powers
Yes.

>or are the characters' ages a little bit of a clue as to the intended audience?
No. See K-On for example, which ran in a seinen magazine. Many manga like K-On run in seinen magazines.

In a surprising twist, things in Japan don't necessarily work the same way they do in the West.

>The life of an anime enthusiast is sifting through mountains of shit to find a single edible piece of corn.
Those aren't anime enthusiasts, they are people like you who think everything is shit because it isn't exactly what they're already accustomed to and expecting. And on the other hand people nowadays rarely see any middle ground between shit and 11/10 and are also terribly pretentious.

>Anime isn't that good.
Then neither is anything else.

>>35493319
Anything that airs at night is intended for adult/late teens audiences, and most new anime now airs at night.
>>
File: 1487705515069.gif (873KB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487705515069.gif
873KB, 346x360px
>>35493373
I don't really care about sophistication though there's plenty of that in political dramas and period stuff, and the term "valid" doesn't apply to subjectivity.

I'm saying if you don't appreciate SoL and fan service, you're probably either insecure, inexperienced with it, a child, or 2-3 of these things. everyone starts out like that, it's fine, but you're missing out on the most successful adult male genre in the medium. it's as successful as it is for a reason.

cute things are cute. "UNSOFISTICAT INVALID LOL" chill the fuck out, dude.
>>
>>35493387
>Anything that airs at night is intended for adult/late teens audiences, and most new anime now airs at night.
Could it be that it's considered a dogshit medium in Japan and stations are loath to surrender valuable airtime to bottom of the barrel dreck for losers outside of graveyard hours when no one but NEETs are watching anyway?

>>35493417
Fan service is for fourteen year olds who don't have acces to actual porn. If you enjoy it then fine, but it's cringey and distracting in my opinion.
>>
>>35493387
I think you have misconceptions about what is acceptable for children in japan vs the west, and you have no idea what timeslots mean. mob psycho was played at nearly 1 am and it's a children's show.

it's okay to like kid's stuff. I love danmachi and shoujos like cardcaptor sakura and princess tutu are among my favorite series. you don't have to justify it by claiming they're intended for adults. tokyo ghoul is kiddie as shit.
>>
What even is anime? Just low framerate badly drawn cartoons?
>>
File: 1469052149953.png (353KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469052149953.png
353KB, 566x800px
>>35493443
that's not what demographics and sales statistics say. clearly fan service is enjoyed largely by adult men with expendable incomes.

think of it this way: comedy is fun, cuteness is cute, sexy things are sexy. why not combine all three into the ultimate experience?
>>
>>35493473
What is an anime? A miserable pile of secrets.
>>
>>35493481
If you consider that the 'ultimate experience' then have at it. Tastes vary.
>>
>>35493387
If you think Tokyo Ghoul anime is not aimed for children, then you should read the manga. The anime really is for children when you compare it to the manga.

When they made the anime they just straight up cut all the "mature" stuff like psychological conflict, character development and the fact that no character is either black or white (from a moral perspective). Also the manga heavily features racism themes, even though it's rather subtle. They literally just cut the best parts and did an adaptation of a seinen manga into a shounen anime.
>>
File: 1486449032982.jpg (368KB, 600x883px) Image search: [Google]
1486449032982.jpg
368KB, 600x883px
>>35493503
not even being defensive here, I'm trying to tell you that if you keep watching anime, this is where you're going to end up. it's where they told me I was going to end up and it's exactly what happened. it's where we all end up. it's simply the pinnacle of the medium. one day you will understand, I promise.
>>
>>35492713
>Oi, KANEDA, STOP ACTING LIKE A PERVERT!
>*Kanada does silly pervy face*
>OMAIII!

You're a fucking mess, just stop, you can't sit there and say that Jap humor is actually any level of good. It's not clever or witty or with substance, it's just shitty """"Character interactions"""" based on Jap society memes which in themselves are autistic as fuck because Japanese society is a fucking joke.
>>
>>35493534
And as I pointed out, I don't disagree but that's simply because your standards get lower and lower, and it provides simple comfort that doesn't require you to invest any mental energy after a hard day of Japanese turbo wagecuckery or neethood.
>>
>>35493417
Out of the top 50 best selling shows of the century, only two or three are SoL (K-On, Aria and maybe Lucky Star).

>>35493443
Late night anime did not start until the late 90s. Before that anime aired during normal hours (and of course still does, but much of it has shifted to later timeslots). Early timeslots are for anime with the widest appeal and they almost always run for longer than late night shows. Show don't air late because they are low quality or because they are necessarily inappropriate or uninteresting for mainstream audiences.

Anime is not considered dogshit in Japan, you are just projecting. As a recent example, Kinema Junpo gave the best film and best director awards to an anime movie, and an anime movie won the best screenplay academy award.

>Fan service is for fourteen year olds who don't have acces to actual porn.
No it isn't. Sexuality is a normal part of anime and it's not just teenagers who watch fanservice-oriented anime. They're also not the ones creating most of the pornographic doujinshi and fan art.

>>35493459
Mob Psycho is not a children's show. Neither are Tokyo Ghoul and Danmachi. You shouldn't accuse other people of having misconceptions when you're the one who has them.

>>35493473
Framerate is a meme. Anime doesn't run at a constant framerate, and people mistake framerate for animation quality and usually don't even realize what the actual framerate of an animation is.

Anime has nothing to do with cartoons.

>>35493505
Tokyo Ghoul is not for children. You people are just trying to attack things by accusing them of being for children.

>They literally just cut the best parts and did an adaptation of a seinen manga into a shounen anime.
Seinen and shounen are manga target demographics. That's all they are.
>>
>>35492911
These aren't arguments your posting you know? Just fractions of opinion pieces.
Just hope you're aware of that.
>>
>>35493581
What did I say that was not an argument and how was it not an argument?
>>
Clannad will heal your broken robot heart
>>
File: 1485814075919.png (783KB, 957x1518px) Image search: [Google]
1485814075919.png
783KB, 957x1518px
>>35493571
you're cherrypicking the word "SoL" out of a list of genre elements I posted, not sure why. Konosuba is obliterating sales projections right now, for example, and fits into what I was talking about. Gabriel is climbing up as well.
>>
>>35492914
Videogames are for everyone.
That is like saying 'movies are only for kids'

Just because something is boring and fucking real, does not mean that it is more mature.

I would love to play them more, but I lost all interest in it.
>>
>>35493571
>Tokyo Ghoul is not for children. You people are just trying to attack things by accusing them of being for children.

Nah, I'm not attacking anything, I'm just mad the worst possible studio got the rights to adapt one of the best, if not the best manga. I don't really care what audience is it aimed for as long as I enjoy it.
>>
>>35493571
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Mob was literally advertised as a shounen and was written by a shounen author.
>>
I dont really hate anime, i just dislike it. The way characters are written, how they behave, what they do and what they consider funny is just not what i like. There are a few i watched and enjoyed but most of them are bullshit and I Cant unterstand how one could watch it on daily basis.
>>
>>35493639
>I would love to play them more, but I lost all interest in it.
it's because you grew up. because games are for children. the same thing happened to me. I want to play them, but I'm not interested.
>>
>>35493569
oh believe me, my standards are through the roof. if I don't heartily laugh at least once per two minutes, or if character art is unappealing to me, into the "dropped" pile it goes.
>>
>>35493637
If we also include fanservice anime, then the only ones in the top 50 are Strike Witches and Monogatari, and the latter is very sporadic about it. And maybe Infinite Stratos too but I'm not sure.

>>35493651
Shounen doesn't mean "for children," it covers a large age group and many adults read shounen manga and watch anime adapted from shounen manga. And again late night anime is not intended for children.

>>35493664
Video games are for everyone.
>>
>>35493664
To be fair though, I lost interest in almost any kind of media exept music.
>>
>>35493571
>anime has nothing to do with cartoons
it is cartoons though...

And yeah, sometimes framerate is even lower than that. 30 fps is the minimum.
>>
I dont even understand why people who dont like anime go here, its one of the cornerstones of 4chan. Hell, you dont even have to actively watch it, just dont sperg out everytime you see a smug loli.
>>
>>35493559
I agree, there is nothing funny about what the nips consider humor. Perhaps because it's remained unchanged for what seems like forever, it's a society of old, old men still angry about the fact that "The West" exists and that their ancestors chose to end the extreme isolationism that defines their culture.

Anime can be amusing, or downright fun to watch. I have my weaknesses for it but as a general rule the "best" series are ones that have nothing to do with japan outside the language they record in.
>>
>>35493694
>CGDCT
>comedies
>"maybe these things mixed with some other themes"
your cherrypicking is autist-level
>>
>>35493694
>Shounen doesn't mean "for children,"
"a genre of Japanese comics and animated films aimed primarily at a young male audience, typically characterized by action-filled plots."

Retard. It's okay to like children's stuff. You don't have to lie to yourself about it.
>>
>>35493736
>CGDCT
What do these letters mean?
>>
>>35493704
Do you even know how animation works?
>>
>>35493694
"Shounen" is literally japanese for "boy" you enormous faggot.
>>
>>35492931
Most of everything is fucking shit.
>>
>>35493704
Anime and cartoons couldn't possibly be more different from each other.

The video framerate for almost all anime is 24 FPS, which is the same video framerate used in cinema. The animation framerate ranges from still images to 24 FPS.

>>35493731
>I agree, there is nothing funny about what the nips consider humor.
Subjective.

>Perhaps because it's remained unchanged for what seems like forever, it's a society of old, old men still angry about the fact that "The West" exists and that their ancestors chose to end the extreme isolationism that defines their culture.
Japan hasn't remained unchanged, and it's not "old, old men" who create and consume anime. Nor does the nature of Japanese humor have anything to do with people supposedly being angry at the West.

>as a general rule the "best" series are ones that have nothing to do with japan outside the language they record in
Every anime has something to do with Japan, because they are made in Japan by Japanese people.

>>35493736
The post I replied to said SoL and fanservice.

>>35493744
>The age group varies with individual readers and different magazines, but it is primarily intended for boys between the ages of 8 to 18.

>Retard. It's okay to like children's stuff.
I never said I don't. I'm just pointing out the fact that shounen doesn't mean "for children."

>>35493745
Cute girls doing cute things, which itself doesn't mean anything.

>>35493758
And?
>>
>>35493775
interject halfway into someone else's conversation without reading, don't be surprised when you sound like an absolute retard.
>>
>>35493785
What are you talking about?

blox
----blox
>>
>>35493775
Wait so you're literally posting a source yourself explaining to yourself that "shounen" literally means "intended for non-adult male audiences", and you still deny it?

What kind of futuristic meta-denial is this? Shounen literally means "boy" in japanese, and as you said, "for audiences between the ages of 8 and 18". You are incredibly insecure.
>>
File: 1480182374018.jpg (61KB, 355x322px) Image search: [Google]
1480182374018.jpg
61KB, 355x322px
>>35493775
didn't you just point out that shounen means exactly "for children", though?
>>
>>35493809
>>35493827
Shounen is, again, for a wide age range and doesn't have the meaning you think it does. The Japanese are also a lot less fussy about these things than Westerners.

What I find really tiring about people is their obsession with trying to twist words and turn them into weapons.
>>
File: 1435060253619.jpg (151KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435060253619.jpg
151KB, 1280x720px
>>35491381
I don't know.

The meaning of weeb has also lost it's meaning.
>>
>>35493843
Also it's funny how people are always holding 18 as the magical universal age of adulthood and adultness, but now 18 year olds are lumped together with 8 year olds because it's more convinient that way.
>>
File: 1430538857546.png (86KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1430538857546.png
86KB, 625x626px
>>35492684
>western cartoons
>good

Pick one and only one.
>>
>>35493843
you're just mad about getting btfo.

it's okay to like kids shit, anon. quit being insecure about it.
>>
>>35493864
I didn't get BTFO anywhere, and once again I never said I don't like children's anime. I am, again, just pointing out the fact that shounen doesn't mean what you think it does.
>>
>>35493860
extremely insecure to the point of raving.
>>
>>35493875
I'm not insecure and I never "raved."

You are just trying to weaponize the term and don't care how inconsistent it is.
>>
>>35493863
older western cartoons are great
>>
>>35493048
You've got the most normie tier tastes.

People are afraid to branch out and find something worth while to watch.
>>
>>35491381

Boring and shit.
>>
>>35491381
Normies hate everything they don't like and have no control over it.
>>
>>35493872
look up "shounen", "shojo", "seinen", "josei".

they have specific meanings, and are used for a reason. according to you, they might as well all mean "intended for everyone", when in reality, they refer to specific demographics.

you are ironically the one twisting words to suit your purposes.
>>
Can we at least agree that shounen is intended for audiences under 18 and this is an 18+ website, and that as such, you're either underage b8 or engaging in a medium intended for people younger than yourself?
>>
File: 1430538852325.png (83KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1430538852325.png
83KB, 625x626px
>>35493895
You didn't specify that in your post, you said "western cartoons".

Also, modern western cartoons are pure trash because its only noodle people, cheap animation tricks, low-tier humour and aimed at middle schoolers attention span.
>>
>>35493903
I know what all those terms mean. You don't.

Shounen doesn't mean for children, it covers a wide age range. The fact that something is shounen doesn't mean only the nominal target demographic of thje magazine it runs in reads or watches it.
>>
File: 1486524725606.jpg (2MB, 2841x1901px) Image search: [Google]
1486524725606.jpg
2MB, 2841x1901px
>>35491381
Stratos 4.

>be plane autist
>holy shit i love airplanes
>Area 88 comes along
>AIRPLANES YES IT'S GOOD
>Area 88 OVA
>EVEN BETTER YES I LIKE THIS
>I like this anime thing, more plane anime please
>Royal Space force
>Fake planes but still good and a rocket yes I like this.
>Stratos 4 has planes!
>Ok I'll download that
>le cute girls doing cute things xD
>that's about it. (well, idol defence force hummingbird also goes on the shit side and "the cockpit" on the good side, didn't bother with sky crawlers or strike witches.)
>no more planes, only girls now
>basically 90% of anime still over-represent females because they gotta get those thirsty hikkibux.

all i wanted was planes
why did you drown me in interchangable women
>>
>>35493919
new Jack season came to save western cartoons
>>
File: 1479313388932.jpg (539KB, 1580x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479313388932.jpg
539KB, 1580x1080px
>>35493973
Haven't seen it, but they only make like 2-3 good shows every 10 years.

The Western animation industry is honestly pathetic.
>>
>>35493956
This

Planes > Anime Girls > Real Girls...

Every game studio should know that.
>>
>>35493919
I wasn't the anon you replying too desu
>>
>>35493956
>basically 90% of anime still over-represent females because they gotta get those thirsty hikkibux.
Hikikomori are a meme, and the preference for female characters is cultural, not commercial.

>all i wanted was planes
>why did you drown me in interchangable women
What makes you think anime exists to serve your specific niche interests? And why haven't you watched Sky Crawlers, The Wind Rises, Porco Rosso, Allison & Lillia, Last Exile and The Pilot's Love Song/The Princess and the Pilot? Seems like there's quite a lot of anime about a topic as niche as that.
>>
>>35493992
yeah the industry stagnated greatly since 90s/early 00. I miss when cartoons were about epic fights and these creepy comedy shows. Maybe I just got too old and cant appreciate anything new
>>
>>35492734
Not the same anon, but looking for something specific or just a general list? Maybe I can give you some recs.
I'm guessing you won't have a problem for "children aimed" shows either.
>>
>>35491381
Because it's gay faggot shit that severs as an escape for Bitch bois such as ur self
>>
>>35494043
>and the preference for female characters is cultural, not commercial.
Even then, I don't like it. It's irritating, and the number of thirsty westerners who like it speaks for itself.
>What makes you think anime exists to serve your specific niche interests?
It doesn't have to. I just feel gypped when I thought I was getting something geared to my interests, but it was just a background element for the interest of 98% of mankind: sluts and butts.

The female disproportionality thing then gets into full swing and I just don't care enough to carry on watching when I can just play Ace Combat for an appropriate balance of planes, humans and womans. Even AC actually has a disproportionate number of women compared to real air-forces, but that's fine. Also the plots are basically anime style anyway.
>>
>>35494164
Most Westerners hate female characters.

>but it was just a background element for the interest of 98% of mankind: sluts and butts.
The fact that an anime has female characters in it does not mean it is focused on "sluts and butts." Have you tried being less obsessed with sex?
>>
File: 1434764505555.jpg (84KB, 597x397px) Image search: [Google]
1434764505555.jpg
84KB, 597x397px
>>35494114
Watch out, we got a tough normalfag over here.
>>
>>35493749
it's a lot of drawings with a small delay
>>35493775
what is anime if not cartoons?
also 24 fps isn't really enough either. Normal cartoons made with tools like adobe flash are usually smoothed out and they are 30 fps
>>
File: 1464694409439.jpg (34KB, 638x475px) Image search: [Google]
1464694409439.jpg
34KB, 638x475px
>>35494183
>The fact that an anime has female characters in it does not mean it is focused on "sluts and butts."
No, the regular unnecessary fanservice does. Stratos 4 is literally a slice-of-life fanservice anime. That's why I tie it down so narrowly for the purpose of the example. There's basically no need to have the airplanes at all for it to work.

Area 88 has an attempted rape scene in the latter part of the story that works in context. Sexual content isn't the problem, context matters.
(You should really watch Area 88 btw it's good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgCQWt0pbhs )
>>
File: 1486739029098.jpg (41KB, 454x519px) Image search: [Google]
1486739029098.jpg
41KB, 454x519px
Anime sexualizes children
>>
>>35494240
3D television sexualizes children.

Are you going to tell me that it doesn't?
>>
>>35491448
You're putting all anime into one box, that doesn't make any sense.
I'm not a fucking weeb but I enjoy series like One Piece or Samurai Champloo.
>>
>>35494205
>what is anime if not cartoons?
Anime and cartoons are different subsets of animation.

>also 24 fps isn't really enough either.
24 FPS animation looks more smooth than live action, and people often confuse 12 FPS animation for 24 FPS.

But then there's the question of whether or not you can actually keep up 24 FPS almost all the time, and the answer is no. Disney might have done it in at least some movies, but they had big budgets and short runtimes and streamlined designs.

>>35494231
>No, the regular unnecessary fanservice does.
Which only exists in some shows.

>There's basically no need to have the airplanes at all for it to work.
Japanese otaku are interested in more than fanservice.
>>
>>35491448
Yeah. Comedy seems to equal cringe in japan.
>>
>>35494252
no anon, YOU sexualize children.
>>
>>35491381
Because some of the people who watch it are losers like me and so others think the medium as a whole is bad.
>>
>>35491381
3DPD feel threatened at the presence of superior 2D.
>>
>>35491381
A lot of anime uses the same settings and shit. Like lately I've been looking for romance anime, but literally all in school, man. There's no variety. I'm guessing it's because men have a schoolgirl fetish, especially in Japan, that's why a lot of them go to JK cafes. It's like they can't grasp romance outside of school that have nothing to do with dates and shit.
>>
>>35494835
Not all anime takes place in school, and the reason why school is a popular setting in Japanese media is because of nostalgia, the glorification of youth and because school works better for many stories.
>>
File: Very Rare Pepe.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Very Rare Pepe.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
anime is for degenerate weebs
>>
>>35494908
I literally didn't say "ALL ANIME TAKES PLACE IN SCHOOL SO IT SUCKS"

I said "A lot of anime uses the same settings and shit." Fuck huge difference there, buddy
>>
>>35494933
You said there's no variety.
>>
>>35494944
There is no variety, especially not like there is in film where you have shit like indie arthouse, Hollywood, foreign films.
>Inb4 a lot of films use cities as a setting
Cities are more dynamic than school settings. I also said there's no variety because there's only like one or two animes that you can call art that actually says something. There's also no subtlety, the only subtle film/show is Spirited Away from what I've seen so far. The variety is lacking for the simple fact that the art is lacking (not the animation). It's like they're afraid to criticize real life situations

Name one artistic anime that isn't Angel's Egg or Spirited Away
>>
>>35495076
There is variety. There is in far fact more variety than in live action TV, yet almost never will you ever hear anyone complain about a lack of variety there.

>I also said there's no variety because there's only like one or two animes that you can call art that actually says something
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/massage_my_ass/

>There's also no subtlety
Some anime is subtle, some isn't.

>the only subtle film/show is Spirited Away from what I've seen so far
I'm sure you've seen a huge amount of anime then.

>Name one artistic anime that isn't Angel's Egg or Spirited Away
What is "artistic" supposed to mean?
>>
>>35495193
>more variety than live action TV
I am calling bullshit. Gonna need a citation for that.
>>
I just hate being a pleb but I'm working on it
>>
>>35495341
What "citation" are you expecting, exactly? Generation Wikipedia really needs to get a fucking clue already.

Anime covers more genres, topics and settings than live action and does not have the limitations of live action production, and that's what makes it more varied.
>>
>>35495193
>Posts a shitty blog post about a person who's never done visual arts in his life posting about visual arts
I think I understand art better than this person, seeing as I've actually written it before. Art needs to be subtle as I'll explain later.
>Some anime is subtle, some isn't
Subtle about what though?
>I'm sure you've seen a huge amount of anime then
Name an anime as subtle about a topic they want to reach to the audience as Spirited Away
>What is "artistic" supposed mean?
A narrative plotted with subtlety that feeds the themes they want to talk about and often uses the themes in a way to deliver double entendre in an allegorical form, because that's what art does. That's my definition of art. The Bible is one of the greatest pieces of art in history, I'm an Atheist saying this.
>>35495341
He thinks 'variety' is having more media to choose from instead of quality.
>>
>>35495403
>Posts a shitty blog post about a person who's never done visual arts in his life posting about visual arts
But he wasn't talking about visual arts, he was pointing out the inanity of "messages."

>Subtle about what though?
Subtle about whatever.

>Name an anime as subtle about a topic they want to reach to the audience as Spirited Away
And what was it that Spirited Away was trying to say? I've seen a lot of interpretations.

>That's my definition of art.
Well it isn't mine.

>He thinks 'variety' is having more media to choose from instead of quality.
Variety doesn't mean quality.
>>
>>35495469
>variety doesn't mean quality
Then why the flying fuck do you keep spouting out how many topics anime has? Besides, you'd still need to dig through the Earth to find the good animes that don't involve high school and shit.
>>
>>35495469
>But he wasn't talking about visual arts, he was pointing out the inanity of "messages."
He was using video games as an example, which is a visual medium. When people say that something has something to say: They mean philosophical, political or a social criticisms, usually multiple at once with layers, not just outright stating what the thing is about with the plot alone.
>Subtle about whatever
Can you be more specific?
>And what was it that Spirited Away was trying to say? I've seen a lot of interpretations
I've heard Spirited Away was a commentary on child prostitution in Japan
>And what was it that Spirited Away was trying to say? I've seen a lot of interpretations
Because clearly you have a child's view of the artistic form
>Variety doesn't mean quality
>the quality or state of being different or diverse; the absence of uniformity, sameness, or monotony
Quality is literally in the definition, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>35492608
I don't hate because i used to be a fucking autist but anime is just otaku pandering with cute drawings and bad writing as a excuse
>>
>>35495572
>Then why the flying fuck do you keep spouting out how many topics anime has?
Variety also doesn't mean a lack of quality. It means variety.

>Besides, you'd still need to dig through the Earth to find the good animes that don't involve high school and shit.
If you're a dumbfuck casual, sure.

>>35495619
>He was using video games as an example, which is a visual medium.
That's irrelevant. And anyway, he's right.

>Can you be more specific?
About what? We are not talking about any specific anime.

>I've heard Spirited Away was a commentary on child prostitution in Japan
Which is COMPLETELY FUCKING WRONG, and a good example of how inane all this "message" and "art" shit really is.

>Because clearly you have a child's view of the artistic form
Or maybe I just don't have "modern art" bullshit view of the artistic form.

>Quality is literally in the definition, what the fuck are you talking about?
a : peculiar and essential character : nature
b : an inherent feature : property

Please tell me you're not being serious.

>>35495631
Otaku pandering doesn't exist.
>>
>>35491381
>have friends who really like anime
>they casually bring up anime at times
>dont have anything to say about it because i dont watch it, other than like half of initial d because /o/ memes
>ANON STOP PRETENDING YOU DONT LIKE ANIME
>BUT YOU WATCHED INITIAL D ONCE
>WHO CARES IF YOU DONT LIKE THE ANIMATION HAVENT YOU WATCHED CARTOONS BEFORE
>NAH ANON NOT ALL EPISODES ARE PRETEENS YELLING WEEB SHIT
>
>>
File: nagasarete10 (28).jpg (34KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
nagasarete10 (28).jpg
34KB, 1024x576px
>>35491448
To be fair, I do see your point. Japanese humour relies to much on already established jokes and the manzai routine rather than making actual original jokes in a format that isn't banal or overly watered down. One of the main issues with their style of humour is that it doesn't translate into real life, cities/countryside are only unsanitary and imperfect when they are supposed to serve a point, though otherwise everything in anime is idyllic when in reality if you walked outside for just a moment you would see numerous cracks in the pavement, poorly painted houses, potholes and more often than not a rather gloomy environment with oftentimes gloomier people - its this aspect, that in essence Japanese humour fails to capitalize as it lacks the ability to relate trivial, real-world problems with that of its imaginary utopia. Of course, its only natural for this to trickle into the characters themselves, who are more often than not borderline perfect human beings without blemishes, embarrassing flaws (that aren't made out to be cute), and sometimes disgusting attitudes/viewpoints that vary much like ours.

Part of why comedies like The Inbetweeners or South Park are so well received is because they acknowledge the flaws of society - the places we live and the characters we come across in day-to-day life, the jokes built function in that they satirize aspects of daily life in a relatable medium rather than "x did something stupid" or a slew of puns that aren't remotely amusing, but only suffice to give the FEELING that you are watching a comedy rather than deliver the humour proper. The only exception I can think of to this is Panty & Stocking, where the main cast are all fairly down to Earth despite being complete vitriolic ass-hats, leading to jokes which are often mean-spirited though deliver more often than not, this largely works because everyone is proven to be hugely flawed and play against each-other.
>>
I wanted to get into anime and so I started watching Gabriel Dropout because that's what everyone is posting.
It is literal trash. If it is representative of normal anime quality then i'd rather not.

Also anime turns you gay.
>>
>>35495713
In much a similar way to how actual humans act towards one-another. For the most part anime glosses over this and confuses "cute" with "funny", presumably to give viewers the excuse that they only watched 12 episodes of fan-service for those oh-so-funny kooky characters and not just to watch cute girls prance about on screen making high-pitched noises and acting autistic, it makes Mean Girls look like a Louis Theroux documentary on feminine subcultures.
>>
>>35495661
>That's irrelevant. And anyway, he's right
Based on his subjective opinion
>About what? We are not talking about any specific anime
Doesn't matter, based on my definition, you should be able to pull an anime out of your hat
>Which is COMPLETELY FUCKING WRONG, and a good example of how inane all this "message" and "art" shit really is
Except the people who say this have literal evidence of this. To make a counter-proposal, you're gonna need evidence and counter-evidence
>Or maybe I just don't have "modern art" bullshit view of the artistic form
I bet you think that view is 'pretentious' and it's because you're literally too stupid

>peculiar and essential character : nature
You can say this with anything
>an inherent feature : property
Same can be said for video games
That doesn't imply variety, it's not whether there's a quantity to choose from.

>Please tell me you're not being serious
Are you?
>>
>>35495714
>Also anime turns you gay.

On the contrary anime girls dominate my train of thought more than 3D girls ever could
>>
>>35495823
Only a matter of time until you try to become one yourself
>>
>>35495696
>NAH ANON NOT ALL EPISODES ARE PRETEENS YELLING WEEB SHIT
Teenage characters are by far more common than prepubescent ones, and why would the characters be yelling wannabe Japanese shit? What does that even mean? In any case, no, they aren't "yelling weeb shit."

>>35495713
Humor is cultural and subjective and there are different kinds of humor.

>>35495714
>It is literal trash.
It isn't.

>If it is representative of normal anime quality then i'd rather not.
Anime covers all kinds of genres and styles.

>>35495778
>Based on his subjective opinion
Which is right.

>Doesn't matter, based on my definition, you should be able to pull an anime out of your hat
For what purpose?

>Except the people who say this have literal evidence of this. To make a counter-proposal, you're gonna need evidence and counter-evidence
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/sen.html

>I bet you think that view is 'pretentious' and it's because you're literally too stupid
It's because I appreciate actual art, rather than literal piles of garbage that are supposed to be art because someone wrote a complicated essay to argue what makes it art.

>You can say this with anything
>Same can be said for video games
What in the fucking christ are you talking about.

I said anime has variety. It has variety. Variety doesn't mean quality or lack of quality, it just means variety. Fucking hell.

>Are you?
You thought "variety" has something to do with "quality" as in something being bad or good because the dictionary definition uses the word "quality."
>>
File: BnH.png (943KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
BnH.png
943KB, 800x600px
I watch anime but on a relatively casual level. I used to watch a lot but now its very rare and mostly shonen stuff. Boku no Hero is a recent favourite of mine.
>>
>>35495856
>>It is literal trash.
>It isn't.
It is
>>
>>35495856
>they arent "yelling weeb shit"

Then let me be more clear about what exactly i dont like about it:
>be watching some anime with a friend upon request
>relatively normal scene
>suddenly high pitched girl screaming saying cringey garbage
>cutesy bullshit out of context
>if it's a dude doing the "le extreme awkward anime reaction xD" its less grating because theres no high pitched sound but almost always just as cringey

Happy now?
>>
>>35495856
I'm all for the concept of humour being cultural and subjective though I do not see how anyone could be so entertained as to have anything more than a light chuckle, there is just so little substance. I suppose we have our equivalents here (The Big Band Theory, FRIENDS and all those other light sitcoms which rely on a laugh track rather than good writing). I'd imagine though that if these anime characters were all drawn in, say, a rotoscope style, no-one would find it funny at all, people feel compelled to laugh for the same reason they laugh when their crush says anything even slightly humorous.
>>
>>35495985
It isn't.

>>35495997
>suddenly high pitched girl screaming saying cringey garbage
"High pitched" and "cringey" are memes.

>cutesy bullshit out of context
What is this supposed to mean?

>if it's a dude doing the "le extreme awkward anime reaction xD" its less grating because theres no high pitched sound but almost always just as cringey
???

>Happy now?
No, because you didn't actually say anything.
>>
>>35496016
Well obviously Konosuba is going to be less funny when rotoscoped seeing as how the expressions of the characters are important to the comedy.
>>
File: 1479155776269.jpg (76KB, 610x660px) Image search: [Google]
1479155776269.jpg
76KB, 610x660px
People who hate anime are the same type of people who hate Justin Bieber. They just jump on a bandwagon to try and look cool. Are both JB and Anime shit? Yeah pretty much, but there's no point defining yourself by what you don't like, it just shows that your life is utterly devoid of value. Your entire existence is essentially a YouTube dislike button.
>>
>>35495856
>Which is right
Based on your subjective opinion
>For what purpose?
So you could sell another person on anime?
>http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/sen.html
He never makes the distinction in that interview about it just being legal businesses that target children. Prostitution is a business too, they sell a service.
>It's because I appreciate actual art, rather than literal piles of garbage that are supposed to be art because someone wrote a complicated essay to argue what makes it art
What's your definition of 'actual art'? Anything made by an artist? What makes that person an artist? Their ability to write a simple story or craft a deep narrative?
>>
>>35496016
I am personally a dry humor person. I find things like Mitchell and Webb and Monty Python funny. Some American humor is funny as well. But I cannot for the life of me see how most (not all for the neckbeard weeaboo that is in this thread) "humor" in anime is considered funny, unless if Japan has that much of a fucked society.
>>
>>35491448
Yes
Ani anime that attempts comedy is immediately shit that only people in Japan or "people" who spent ten hours a day watching that crap could enjoy
It goes beyond that tho. It's so formulatic that they recicle characters, plots, everything.
There were a couple good animes made, watch those then pretend anime isn't a thing
For a country with that much animation the west still has more good animated shows
>>
>>35496023
>high pitched and cringey are memes
They literally are not. Retarded voice acting puts a lot of people off from things that arent anime as well

>not understanding what is meant by cutesy bullshit
Yes, characters making silly faces and sounds at the viewer and each other is absolutely sophisticated and not at all just baby talk

>???
Not a defense nor an argument

>claming i didnt say anything
>does nothing but greentexts my post back to me
Ok
>>
>>35496042
And not to be overly nagging here, but how are the expressions entertaining? They are littered throughout anime and are reduced in effect by same face syndrome. Sure, they may be mildly amusing on the very rare occasion though generally they are far too overused, surely one would get bored of it pretty quickly. Konosuba is a great example of that, the reactions, whilst sometimes cute - are not really funny, they just exemplify how adorable characters like Aqua (best girl) and Megumin can be. If you took those expressions away it wouldn't really lose any level of humour because it has been done several times before, just look at Nichijou.
>>
ITT: people complaining about anime on an Asian cartoon imageboard.
>>
>>35495856
When your culture consists of people issolating themselves, working until they die while having no family and just hoarding the money for no reason
And the government doing anything they can to get people to fucking talk to each other because it's an actual crysis
Your comedy is going to suck bro
>>
>>35496086
>So you could sell another person on anime?
What are you even talking about anymore?

>He never makes the distinction in that interview about it just being legal businesses that target children. Prostitution is a business too, they sell a service.
He never says or implies anything about prostitution. You didn't even read the interview. Spirited Away has nothing to do with prostitution, it's just dumbshit Westerners misinterpreting things.

>What's your definition of 'actual art'?
A well done landscape painting is art even if there's no "message" to it.

>>35496090
>It's so formulatic that they recicle characters, plots, everything.
All media has repeating characters and plots and other elements. But ONLY anime is ever attacked for that. It's a bullshit double standard.

>There were a couple good animes made
There's good anime made every season.

>For a country with that much animation the west still has more good animated shows
Anime shits all over Western animation without even trying.

>>35496104
>They literally are not
They literally are.

>not understanding what is meant by cutesy bullshit
In what universe does "cutesy bullshit" have a clear meaning?

>Not a defense nor an argument
I didn't say it was. Do you even know what question marks signify?

>does nothing but greentexts my post back to me
Why are you lying?

>>35496114
>same face syndrome.
Meme.

>>35496156
And what culture would that be? Because it's not describing Japan.
>>
It's creatively bankrupt and stagnant genre that needs to be put down.
>>
>>35496173
>That's not describing Japan
Sorry, my mistake. Japan is a wonderful land full of cat girls and samurai and people purchase big robots and tiny flying monsters on a regular basis
Why would anime lie to you?
>>
>>35496183
Meme. Anime is more varied than live action television.

>>35496203
>>
File: 1485143302294.jpg (172KB, 861x889px) Image search: [Google]
1485143302294.jpg
172KB, 861x889px
>>35495713
yes, in general all anime needs more real world inspiration. western humor draws a lot from real world inspiration these are problems we would have with it and not them.

>>35494276
i'm sick of this stupid argument, anime is very much so since and repeat cookie cutter bullshit. one piece is a prime example of a dbz rip off with superficial "improvements." and as for actual different stuff like lain or cowboy bebop, you can't keep referencing the same few series and apply their diversity to the whole genre. yes anime has potential for any type of story but creators don't take advantage and prefer the same garbage.

>>35492713
anime is literally made to be exaggerated easy to understand bullshit for people with low attention spans. i like anime but if you're honestly defending it as a medium then you're probably an underage retard
>>
>>35496173
>Anime shits over western animation
That floaty shit? Those static shots were all that moves is the mouth? That abuse of after effects? Those characters with no weight? Swords that cut tanks in half like if they where made out of cardboard and gigant hammers that send people flying like ping pong balls?
No, animes animation looks like shit except for the rare one in a million case
>There is good anime every season
There is a good show or two every decade
>Only anime gets attacked for this
Wrong, Mexican soap operas do the same shit
It's so bad in anime that I can't tell a show from another
>>
>>35496250
Wrong. the premise is always pretty creative but then it turns into 20 year old protagonist with no real skil lset or impressive qualities hangs about with 4 big titted women who worship him for no particular reason and maybe theres 1 male friend who presents no competition and is just comedic relief. The whole genre is based of stock characters.

SAD!
>>
>>35496173
>What are you even talking about anymore?
The thread is 'Why is anime hated?' I answered the question from my own perspective and expectations of art.
>He never says or implies anything about prostitution. You didn't even read the interview. Spirited Away has nothing to do with prostitution, it's just dumbshit Westerners misinterpreting things
He talks about businesses that target children.
>If you let me have my own way, I'd first reduce the amount of manga, video games, and weekly magazines. I would drastically reduce the number of businesses that target children. Our work is part of them, but I think we should let our children watch animation only once or twice a year, and ban cram school as well. If we let children have more of their own time and have their own way, they'll become more lively in a year or so. There are too many people who make money off of children. There is evidence we can live without such things here in this park, yet there are too many things around us to relieve our unsatisfied hearts and boredom. This is the fault of adults; it's adults who are in the wrong shape. Children are just mirrors, so no wonder they are in the wrong shape
This literal whole thing could mean two things.
>For those who are in their powerless childhood, when they feel helpless, fantasy has something to give them relief. When children face complicated or difficult problems, they have to dodge at first
This could also mean be alluding to child prostitution
I did read the shit, YOU haven't.
>A well done landscape painting is art even if there's no "message" to it
A well done landscape painting is a painting, art is art.
>>
>>35496250
A wedge perception of the world
Meanwhile culture in actual Japan is shit
>>
>>35496173
>ONLY anime is attacked for that
No it isnt you victim complex weeb.

Every god damn television series that runs for a long time gets hit with that criticism. Even western shows that are critically acclaimed. No show ever gets away with actually recycling a plot point, but somehow anime is immune to that complaint in your eyes.
>>
>>35496265
>anime is very much so since and repeat cookie cutter bullshit
>creators don't take advantage and prefer the same garbage
Meme. Anime is, once again, more varied than live action TV.

>>35496268
>That floaty shit?
Meme. This doesn't mean anything.

>Those static shots were all that moves is the mouth?
Meme. Anime is much more than static shots.

> That abuse of after effects?
Why is it "abuse" to use visual effects?

>Those characters with no weight?
Meme.

> Swords that cut tanks in half like if they where made out of cardboard and gigant hammers that send people flying like ping pong balls?
That's intentional.

>No, animes animation looks like shit
It's the best hand-drawn animation in the world.

>There is a good show or two every decade
There is good anime every season.

>Wrong, Mexican soap operas do the same shit
I've never seen anyone bring up Mexican soap operas. All I ever see anywhere is people attacking anime for being repetitive. Always anime.

>>35496278
Anime is not a genre and features all the same genres (+ more) as live action. You have no idea what you're talking about, you're just reciting some shit you heard somewhere.

>>35496280
>The thread is 'Why is anime hated?' I answered the question from my own perspective and expectations of art.

What?

>He talks about businesses that target children.
Yeah, he's talking about entertainment businesses in the real world that sell manga etc. to children. How the fuck does that mean Spirited Away is about prostitution? Do you have brain damage?

>This could also mean be alluding to child prostitution
Hooooooooooolyyyyyyyyyyyy shit. Yeah, you definitely have brain damage.

>I did read the shit, YOU haven't.
Ahahahahaha. This is amazing.

>>35496286
Again, what are you talking about?

>>35496317
Yes it is, and I am not a weeaboo.
>>
>>35491381
Most women hate it, because they realize that 2D is superior to them.
>>
File: 1485450320852.jpg (718KB, 1100x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485450320852.jpg
718KB, 1100x1000px
Thread factions
>underage defending anime as amazing after watching Mirai Nikki cause psychological 2D4U
>reasonable anime fans saying if you don't like cute stuff then don't watch most anime
>western cartoon fans who have a chip on their shoulder
>people who hate japan for not being overtly masculine
>random retards with a stupid opinion

Everyone involved in this thread should be ashamed
>>
>>35496373
You do know that just because you say "meme" at the beginning of every sentence doesn't make it true right? And if there's anything you have shown here today is that you are indeed a rampant weeaboo. Stop putting Japan on some high pedestal and open your eyes for once, Japan has a ton of issues with its society that people like you are just rampantly increasing. Or you could just be a typical drone and spout the same nonsense over and over again while fucking your dakimakura while actual Japanese people completely cringe at the very thought of you.
>>
kek people in this thread actually trying to make the argument that anime is sophisticated

no its just cute girls doing cute things with the same personalities used over and over again

literally every show now has this because the creators know cute girls sell the most so they are intentionally destroying their creative freedom to cater to disgusting weebs who like lolis

gas yourselves
>>
>Why do people hate anime
>give factual reasons
>NO NO NO NO NO

Why did you ask? This is literally pic related.

Enjoy your emotionally stunted manchild bullshit but dont act like everyone else is wrong to not like it.
>>
>>35492735
>and Americans are very particular about being age appropriate and every demographic sticking to their own sandbox

That's very nicely shown with hatred towards bronies, because Americunts just can't get into their thick heads that you can like something outside your demographics.
>>
>>35496429
You forgot one

>le neutral highground
>>
File: 1485071884956.gif (13KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1485071884956.gif
13KB, 633x758px
>>35496483
FFFFUUGGGGGGGG
>>
>>35496373
>What?
Are you fucking retarded? How is that hard to understand? I explained why I hate anime, you're trying to argue that it's none of the things I described, are you not trying to sell me on it? Otherwise, why the fuck would you even reply? Just to say that you think I'm wrong?
>Yeah, he's talking about entertainment businesses in the real world that sell manga etc. to children. How the fuck does that mean Spirited Away is about prostitution? Do you have brain damage?
>There are too many people who make money off of children
He didn't say 'Too many of us' that time, he says TOO MANY PEOPLE...
>When children face complicated or difficult problems, they have to dodge at first. They would surely lose if they tried to tackle it head-on
Yes, this only means one thing and not a VARIETY of problems they face.

Also:
>Implying animation is just about pretty drawings
It has writing in it too
>>
>>35496477
>bronies
>grown men and women(sometimes) being part of a fandom for a show meant for small children
>"whats wrong with this i dont understand"

Hint: The issue isn't that people stray from demographics.
>>
https://youtu.be/h-mi0r0LpXo

What is the Cheers of anime? please no shitty bartending anime, an anime about a place where everyone knows your name.
>>
>>35496439
I call them memes because they aren't true.

>And if there's anything you have shown here today is that you are indeed a rampant weeaboo.
I'm not a weeaboo. You either don't know what the term means or you're intentionally using it wrong.

>Stop putting Japan on some high pedestal and open your eyes for once, Japan has a ton of issues with its society that people like you are just rampantly increasing.
What do Japan's "social issues" have to do with anime, and how I am responsible for them?

>Or you could just be a typical drone and spout the same nonsense over and over again while fucking your dakimakura while actual Japanese people completely cringe at the very thought of you.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

>>35496458
>kek people in this thread actually trying to make the argument that anime is sophisticated
Some of it is, some of it isn't.

>no its just cute girls doing cute things with the same personalities used over and over again
There exists no such thing as CGDCT. It's a meme. Female characters don't all have same personalities either.

Anime comprises the same genres as live action.

>literally every show now has this
Has what? A thing that doesn't exist? If you say so.

>the creators know cute girls sell the most
Creators and audiences are not separate groups of people. People who produce content like cute girls too.

>intentionally destroying their creative freedom to cater to disgusting weebs who like lolis
Weeaboos barely exist, and even if there were more of them around what makes you think the anime industry would be targeting them in particular? The anime industry exists first and foremost for Japan's domestic audiences. Sometimes Western viewers are targeted, but that doesn't mean they are specifically targeting weeaboos. It's unlikely that many in Japan even know what that means.
>>
>>35496576
>an anime about a place where everyone knows your name
It's gonna be one about school
>>
>>35496526
>Are you fucking retarded?
Are you? You were talking about subtlety in anime, and I kept asking what you mean, and now you're talking about something else entirely.

>There are too many people who make money off of children
Yes. Entertainment industries and other businesses catering to children. Not prostitution rings. You fucking idiot.

>Yes, this only means one thing and not a VARIETY of problems they face.
Cancer is a problem some children face. That doesn't mean Spirited Away is about cancer. Retard.

>Implying animation is just about pretty drawings
I never implied any such thing.
>>
>>35496539
But it is. I haven't seen a single valid argument against bronies since they became a thing. Mostly just variations of "adults shouldnt enjoy kids stuff/they fap to it/kneejerking".
>>
>>35496597
i don't mind, as long as it's not too melodramatic
>>
>>35496615
I explained what subtlety in anime meant when I was talking about what art was. I also gave an example, which is Spirited Away. The fact that it is coupled with this:
http://jpninfo.com/29501
He's being SUBTLE in that interview
>>
>>35496686
You were asking me some vague questions about subtlety in anime and then you started talking about how you hate anime and acted like the topic had at no point changed.

>He's being SUBTLE in that interview
No, he's just honestly explaining things. Spirited Away is not about prostitution you fucking retard.
>>
>>35496615
>I never implied any such thing
(Same guy):
Also, actually you did when you said 'A painting of a landscape is art"
>>
>>35496758
I actually didn't. Maybe it's time to stop making things up.
>>
>>35491381
They don't hate anime per se, they hate the child-like weebs who are the poster child weirdo behind it.

>though I have to admit, some animoos are edgy and gay/gross as fuck, which comes off as shitty and retarded
>>
>>35491381
its too cringe for my taste
>>
>>35496718
My first post was in response to the OP, what are you talking about? Context, bro.
>>35496771
What was the point of the 'A painting of a landscape is art' then?
>>
>>35496851
>what are you talking about?
Again:
>You were asking me some vague questions about subtlety in anime and then you started talking about how you hate anime and acted like the topic had at no point changed.

>What was the point of the 'A painting of a landscape is art' then?
It was obviously that art isn't just about "messages."
>>
>>35496875
Jesus, you're a real sperg, aren't you? You need to pack it up and go do something less stimulating for a little bit, bucko. Maybe once you calm down you'll be able to post something comprehensible.
>>
>>35496917
How am I a sperg? What was incomprehensible about what I said?
>>
>>35496875
The topic never changed, bro, you were just arguing from your perspective for why I was 'wrong' and I basically said 'Actually show me I'm wrong. don't just make the claims without any evidence'
>>
>>35496956
First it was:
>There's also no subtlety
etc.

Then suddenly it became:
>The thread is 'Why is anime hated?' I answered the question from my own perspective and expectations of art.
>I explained why I hate anime

And now it's something like:
>you were just arguing from your perspective for why I was 'wrong' and I basically said 'Actually show me I'm wrong. don't just make the claims without any evidence'
>>
>>35496995
I can't even read that shit anymore, guy. It's just a bunch of stream of consciousness garbage typed out so hurriedly that it doesn't make sense to anyone but you.

Holy shit, slow down and maybe ask yourself if other people can understand your sperging.
>>
>>35497035
I didn't type that out, I copy-pasted your posts.
>>
>>35497042
Hahaha, you're so fucking dumb that you can't even tell two different posters apart. Me and that guy don't even type the same.

You'd be better off starting up a /brainlet/ thread than continue to embarrass yourself in this one.
>>
>>35496995
What the fuck are you talking about? I'm basically saying that anime is pretty straightforward with things they write. I explained what I meant by subtlety in the post about what I thought was art. Allegory for example and anime doesn't do allegory or I haven't heard of any that does. The topic never changed, we just added a subtopic.
>>
>>35497079
So you're admitting to impersonating him? Yeah, I'm the one who must embarrasing himself here.
>>
>>35497108
What? He just said we don't type the same. How would he be impersonating if he's not trying to type like me?
>>
>>35497108
>RRREEEEEEE I MISTOOK TWO PEOPLE FOR THE SAME GUY AND WHEN IT WAS POINTED OUT THAT MEANS ONE MUST BE IMPERSONATING THE OTHER, OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE I CANT TELL THEM APART

Gosh, you're really fucking stupid. It's almost like you actually do have Asperger's.

Get dunked on, fag.
>>
>>35497150
You jumped in in the middle of an argument and pretended to be someone else. Don't fucking try to blame this on me, you are responsible.
>>
>>35497164
Not the guy you just replied to, am the other guy

Meme off, bro, me and you

Me talking to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7smLPz2GY
>>
File: 1489402334407.gif (164KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1489402334407.gif
164KB, 300x300px
>>35491381
>kek people in this thread actually trying to make the argument that anime is sophisticated
>
>no its just cute girls doing cute things with the same personalities used over and over again
>
>literally every show now has this because the creators know cute girls sell the most so they are intentionally destroying their creative freedom to cater to disgusting weebs who like lolis
>
>gas yourselves
It's simple enough that I like it, I don't see the big deal about it being 2dfu. It has good stories cute characters that's all I want.
>>
So how about a recommendation for some top moe? Has to be on Crunchyroll though.
>>
>>35494276
wtf hermie
>>
>>35491381
There's a difference from normie anime (OPM, Dragonball, AoT, etc.) and moeshit. If they didn't watch the latter, then they assume all anime is hentai/moeshit, hence the bad stigma
>>
>>35498349
>they assume all anime is hentai/moeshit
That's cause it literally is nerd
>>
>>35491448
>anime tries to be meta by pointing out a cliche (ex. "wow you are such a tsundere")
>Instead of doing anything interesting with it, they play it straight
You can literally tell a character's personality by their hairstyle/color, breast size, and eye shape
>>
>tfw taking Japanese class
>always just say "my language class" or otherwise sidestep saying I'm in due to the stigma
>>
>>35498376
>Yotsuba
>Porn/hentai
You sick fuck
>>
>>35498349
K-On was popular in Japan. It was re-aired on the Disney Channel and NHK BS in early timeslots. The Love Live movie was the 8th most popular domestic movie of its year.

>hentai/moeshit
Hentai means porn. It's released straight to video. It has practically nothing to do with the rest of the industry, let alone "moeshit."

And what is even supposed to be the bad stigma of "moeshit"?

>>35498394
>You can literally tell a character's personality by their hairstyle/color, breast size, and eye shape
Even if you can, so what?
>>
>>35498662
We're not talking about Japanese audience, we're talking about murrikan ones
>>
>>35491381
I don't hate it, it's just not my thing.
Does every damn robot have to like anime?
>>
>>35498662
>Even if you can, so what?
Way too many cliches are used. No chances are taken on anything. I blame otaku
>>
>>35493919
>tfw there will never be Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life or Spongebob (first 3 seasons) ever again
Those were patrician-tier (not just imo so fuck you motherfuckers).
>>
>>35498712
There are cliches in Western media too, but as expected nobody ever complains about them because Western = good and Japanese = bad.

>No chances are taken on anything.
Anime is full of weird off-the-wall shit, and for the hundredth time it has more variety in it than live action shows.

> I blame otaku
"Otaku," as Westerners understand them, do not exist. They are a bogeyman.
>>
The whole fanbase are the "fedora retarded nerdy guy who never gets a gf" plus anime is for children or for men in there midlife crysis
>>
>>35496373
Anon 2+2=4
>No
But it does
>No it doesn't
Listen to me 1+1+1+1=4 right?
>Yes
And 1+1=2
>Yes
And 2+1=3 and 3+1=4
>Yes
Then 2+2=4
>No it doesnt
>>
>>35498767
>"Otaku," as Westerners understand them, do not exist.
Are you retarded? What do you think powers the anime economy
>>
>>35498789
Most anime isn't made for children, nor does it have anything to do with a midlife crisis.
>>
>>35498801

>>35498806
I didn't say otaku don't exist. I said:
>"Otaku," as Westerners understand them, do not exist.
>as Westerners understand them
>>
>>35498829
What do you think otaku are? What in the hell are you even trying to say?
>>
>>35498857
It's painfully obvious what I'm trying to say if you have even a modicum of intelligence. The "otaku" you people talk about do not exist. There are no such people.
>>
Honestly, this whole thread is putting me off anime.
>>
File: otaku.jpg (78KB, 580x676px) Image search: [Google]
otaku.jpg
78KB, 580x676px
>>35498923
So in otherwords:
>"Oh shit I don't know how to counter that, so I'll just deflect"
Gotcha
>>
>>35498956
I really wish I gave this few fucks
>>
>>35498956
I just countered it, and I did not deflect anything.

If I described jews as aliens that are ten feet tall and have six arms and ten eyes, would that mean the "jews" I am talking about exist? No, but at the same time it wouldn't mean that jews don't exist.
>>
>>35498956
I'm pretty certain that's the guy we're dealing with here. Just have him be ashamed of himself and jack off to Japanese animu while thinking he is Japanese himself.
>>
>>35499001
I'm pretty certain you are delusional enough to require psychiatric intervention.
>>
>>35492734
Star vs the Forces of Evil is actually really, really good! You should check it out.
>>
File: 8r1Hr0a.jpg (9KB, 236x230px) Image search: [Google]
8r1Hr0a.jpg
9KB, 236x230px
>>35498986
>>35499037
have fun anon
oregnjmk
>>
>>35491381
The writing is atrocious, storues make no sense, terrible and inconsistent ir 1-dimensional characterization, I could go on...
>>
>>35499130
This is nonsense. There are thousands of anime that vary in their genre, content, quality, target audience etc.
>>
>>35491381
Anime has become mainstream.
Weebs are the biggest normies.
>>
>>35499219
A tiny handful of anime is mainstream, and how exactly would a weeb be a normie? Is it now normal to act like a weeb?
>>
File: IMG_2502.jpg (37KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2502.jpg
37KB, 306x306px
>>35499037
Ooh wee you sure showed me man. Holy fucking shit. Man I'll never talk shit on Chinese cartoons again.
>>
jojo's reference?????
>>
I suspect these are the most common reason people (rightfully) hate anime and know it is lame:

-The cringey cutesy face stuff where people randomly have cat faces.

-The voice acting is fucking creepy as fuck. Teenage girls and full grown women speaking like 10 year old girls. Random sexual moaning sounds from both genders.

I know not all anime is like this, only like EIGHTY PERCENT of it. You can't really blame people for thinking it's fucking weird/creepy, because it is.
>>
Anime is the equivalent of Johnny test. Anyone who watches that loli highschool shit needs to hang
>>
File: 35084.jpg (29KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
35084.jpg
29KB, 225x350px
>>35499755
It's very rare for a loli to be in high school, unless she's some kind of prodigy, anon!
>>
Glad that I only read books. Any media besides books is trash-tier nowadays.
>>
>>35499755

You sound really resentful and judgmental anon.
Maybe you need to watch some iyashikei to calm your nerves?
>>
>>35499827
This is a good idea, I bet the light novels are better than the anime adaptations anyway
>>
>>35499582
>The voice acting is fucking creepy as fuck. Teenage girls and full grown women speaking like 10 year old girls.
There's nothing creepy about this, it's unfeasible to use child actors, and the point isn't even to have realistic voices.

>Random sexual moaning sounds from both genders.
You are hallucinating.

>because it is.
It isn't, and the people who complain about all this shit are the same people who have no problems jerking off to rape scenes.

>>35499755
>loli highschool shit
As in what? Are you people physically incapable of communicating normally?
>>
>>35499827

There are so, so many shitty books, anon.
The medium does not determine the quality of the message.
>>
File: 1489356435587.jpg (29KB, 680x554px) Image search: [Google]
1489356435587.jpg
29KB, 680x554px
>>35491381
B A I T

Origialmantato
>>
>>35499976
Here's the difference though, creative freedom. Many movies and tv shows has to limit on what can be said and shown.
>>
>>35491381
Anime is objective trash. My girlfriend likes anime so I tried watching some shit her and her brother recommended.

>It's drawn out
>The interactions are horrible
>The fan service is cringey
>The voices in it are grating
>The humour, when present, is shitty slapstick LOL THEY TRIPPED OVER HOW CUTE AND FUNNY ~_^
>There's always that one annoying useless girl who turns every anime into a challenge of patience to sit through

And most of all

>it's just fucking boring
>>
>>35500026

Manga and graphic novels satisfy the creative freedom criterion to the fullest extent too.
>>
>>35500058
Much like muslims, not all anime is bad.
>>
>>35500068
>Exactly.

Original Comment 7678.
>>
>>35500026
And yet so many anime still stick to the same exact carbon copy archetypes that have been done to death. For gods sake you could even tell their personality from their hair color and shit, I wouldn't really call that artistic freedom at all.

Though I will admit, there are some anime out there that are actually pretty good. But the overwhelming majority are definitely not.
>>
>>35500058
>Anime is objective trash
This logically means that everything is objective trash.
>>
>>35491381

Here's one thing I don't understand.
We all Reee when anime becomes more mainstream, and yet when anime is criticised we jump to defend it. Surely the best way to ensure anime does not become mainstream is to enthusiastically corroborate that anime is shit, and continue watching it tacitly?
>>
>>35500121
>And yet so many anime still stick to the same exact carbon copy archetypes that have been done to death.
And yet nobody says a word when a Western movie, show, game or novel repeats itself.

>For gods sake you could even tell their personality from their hair color and shit
Again, even if you could, so what?

>I wouldn't really call that artistic freedom at all.
So you define artistic freedom as people only being allowed to do the things you want?
>>
>>35500121
I wasn't talking about anime. Read my previous post >>35499827.
>>
>>35500134
>Anime is everything
>This is logical
lmfao this is one of the most butthurt weeb responses ever

>>35500079
>Muslims are all bad
>So is all anime
Fixed that for you buddy.
>>
>>35500185
Anime varies in quality, so if you claim that all of it is shit then it logically follows that everything is shit.

I'm not a weeaboo. You either don't know what the word means or you're intentionally misusing it.
>>
>>35500121

90% of everything is trash.
This fact does not vary with medium: it applies to anime, books, movies, paintings, everything.

It's just that people are very easily misdirected from simple, evident realities, hence threads like these, where one medium is derided for it's 90% trash, and other media are brought to comparison with their 10% gold. At the same time, the 10% gold of the other media are presented as the norm, whereas the one medium is criticised for having a low gold:trash ratio, even though this applies universally.
>>
>>35500228
>Anime is objectively shit
>Anime has variation
>This means everything is shit
You don't know what logic is do you? Are you legit autistic? I've never seen someone make the logical leaps you're trying to make.
>>
>>35500240
>90% of everything is trash.
Meme.
>>
File: moe cancer.jpg (456KB, 854x756px) Image search: [Google]
moe cancer.jpg
456KB, 854x756px
>>35491381
i like anime, just not moe shit.
>>
>>35500255
If anime is all shit despite that not actually being the case, then why should this logic not be applied to everything?
>>
>>35500256

Whether something is a meme or not has no bearing on whether it's true. I posit this meme generally holds up to the criterion of correspondence to reality.
>>
>>35500174
Many tv shows and movies get larped on because they're redundant. You clearly do not remember the early-mid 2000s where literally almost every show was a copy of another. Needless to say there's a reason why shows from that time aren't really remembered, or at the very least most of them. And if you consider certain hair colors specifically meaning certain things to be a thing of artistic freedom, well I honestly don't even know how to respond to that aside from what is your definition of artistic freedom.
>>
>>35500278
Because not everything else is completely shit like anime? How is this so hard to understand?

>Steak at a michelin star restaurant
>High powered cars
>Fucking tight pussy
>Fucking hot girls
>Blowing loads inside girls
>Telling a weeb his cartoons are a fucking embarrassment and he needs to grow up

All these things are GOAT. Anime is goat shit. Get it?
>>
>>35500275
Moeshit doesn't mean anything.

>>35500305
I call it a meme precisely because it is not true.

>>35500312
>Many tv shows and movies get larped on because they're redundant.
People will call two shows identical even if they are in reality completely different.

>And if you consider certain hair colors specifically meaning certain things to be a thing of artistic freedom, well I honestly don't even know how to respond to that aside from what is your definition of artistic freedom.
How does that demonstrate a lack of artistic freedom?

>>35500357
Anime isn't completely shit. If you say it is then logically what you are saying must apply to everything. This is not negotiable.
>>
File: bruh.jpg (88KB, 720x466px) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
88KB, 720x466px
>>35500275
dumpin more moeshit
>>
>>35491381
Because many people are normalfags. Anime usually very kind. Normalfags like violence and dirty humour.
>>
File: otaku in the indsutry.jpg (372KB, 1365x1586px) Image search: [Google]
otaku in the indsutry.jpg
372KB, 1365x1586px
>>35500374
>Moeshit doesn't mean anything.
are you sure familia
>>
File: moe cancer again.jpg (403KB, 854x805px) Image search: [Google]
moe cancer again.jpg
403KB, 854x805px
>>35500411
IM REALLY FEELIN IT
>>
>>35500420
Pre moe anime are the kind I can actually watch and not want to kill myself out of boredom, cringiness, or sheer embarrassment.
>>
File: moe.jpg (363KB, 854x758px) Image search: [Google]
moe.jpg
363KB, 854x758px
>>35500420
>420
ayy too dank 4 me, postin 1 more
>>
>>35500411
The studio owner in this picture runs a studio that doesn't produce anything, it only assists other studios' productions. So in any case he doesn't get to make what he wants. Other studios were making "artistic" and "deep" and "mature" anime at the time, just as they are today.

But how exactly is this lame old meme supposed to prove that moeshit means something?

>>35500420
>>35500444
What is this supposed to prove?
>>
>>35500374
>IT'S TRUE BECAUSE I SAY IT IS
You have shit tier logic and you sound like a fucking moron. No wonder you're over twenty and shilling for bad cartoons online.
>>
>>35500420
Became very cute. What's wrong?
>>
>>35500468
>IT'S TRUE BECAUSE I SAY IT IS
What is this referring to?

>You have shit tier logic and you sound like a fucking moron.
Projection.

>No wonder you're over twenty and shilling for bad cartoons online.
I haven't shilled for cartoons at any point.
>>
>>35500357
>loaded language: the post.

try this:
>restaurants
>cars
>fucking (x3) (could be fucking a hobo's unwashed asshole too)

I can say
>watching a movie

I can also say

>watching an amazing movie.

This doesn't prove movies are good, just because I used the word "amazing" in front of it. That's called circular reasoning, or otherwise loaded language.

God, it's like explaining logic to a 5-year old.
I know anime lolis who can do this shit better than you.
>>
File: anime then and now.jpg (2MB, 3860x3860px) Image search: [Google]
anime then and now.jpg
2MB, 3860x3860px
reeeeeeeeeee moeshits get out
>>
>>35500374

>I call it a meme precisely because it is not true.

Then just say "I don't agree" or "that's false". Preferably with reasoning.
>>
>>35500464
>What is this supposed to prove?
KAWAAIIII DESU DESU XDEE with simplistic "cute" art styles, mainly focused on females or feminine males without a spine

vs actual complex animations with cool story and technique involved

moe is a CULTURE in japan now

do your research you weeb faggot
>>
>>35500569
>KAWAAIIII DESU DESU XDEE with simplistic "cute" art styles, mainly focused on females or feminine males without a spine
What is this supposed to mean?

>do your research you weeb faggot
I know more than you, and I'm not a weeb. You either don't know what weeb means or you're intentionally using it wrong.
>>
>>35500504
>Is too stupid to realise I'm talking about fucking three different ways
>Starts talking about his imaginary characters like they're real
I know you haven't got to use your dick yet short of abusing it with your hand but those three things are objectively good for different reasons. You can fuck one girl and satisfy all three at once which is even better, but they're still separate.

>(could be fucking a hobo's unwashed asshole too)
My list precludes this you stupid cunt. Stop trying to pretend like you're smart online. You watch cartoons. You'll never be smart.

>B-but m-muh imaginary cartoon characters think I'm s-smart....
>>
File: tumblr_m4ib2zQAyH1r8uyogo1_500.jpg (67KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4ib2zQAyH1r8uyogo1_500.jpg
67KB, 500x667px
>>35491381
Anime is one of the last redpilled artforms left.
Media tells you anime is pathetic because they want to put their lies into your head.
>>
>>35500677
>Rep pilled
>Embarrassed to be seen in uniform
Yet another reason why it's shit and could only be considered "art" by the most desperate of weebs.
>>
>>35500728
Then everything is shit, and nothing can be art.
>>
File: 1488912241131.png (832KB, 819x865px) Image search: [Google]
1488912241131.png
832KB, 819x865px
>>35500677
Media tells us that anime is pathetic so out birth rate can remain positive, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>35500745
>He uses the same stupid fucking logic to defend his horrible position
>IF MY FAVOURITE CARTOONS ARE SHIT THEN EVERYTHING IS SHIT :(
>>
>>35500769
What does it have to do with birth rates?
>>
>>35491381

I don't like a lot of the tropes in anime, the way the girls usually behave, the weird way all the guys talk.
>>
>>35500788
It's your logic and I'm not defending any position.

>IF MY FAVOURITE CARTOONS ARE SHIT THEN EVERYTHING IS SHIT :(
When did I say anything about cartoons?
>>
File: 1489093731823.jpg (22KB, 169x177px) Image search: [Google]
1489093731823.jpg
22KB, 169x177px
>>35500791
People who watch anime don't reproduce.
>>
>>35500813
Yes they do.

blox-blox---blox
>>
>>35500807
>Being THIS autistic
Your Japanese cartoons are shit, weeb. This doesn't mean everything is shit.
>>
>>35500769
>He doesn't believe in throwing everything we have behind artificial womb development to finally make 3DPD roasties obsolete
Found the Chad.
>>
>>35500838
What Japanese cartoons?

I'm not a weeb. You either don't know what weeb means or you're intentionally using it wrong.
>>
>>35499247
You seem to have forgotten that normie is just a synonym for non-virgin now.
>>
>>35500608

>Is too stupid to realise I'm talking about fucking three different ways

>fucking hot girl
>fucking a hot girl's tight pussy

Wow, bro, that's such a radically different experience. Just totally separate things. Oh wait, no, fucking a hot girl already implies fucking a pussy (together with anal), so they're literally the same.

>My list precludes this you stupid cunt.

Yes, because you're clueless about analogies and you're using loaded language. I explained this pretty well in the post. You're not supposed to preclude or modify anything if you want to make an accurate analogy.
If you're comparing anime to sex, then have the integrity to keep both in their basic premises. Comparing "all anime" to "good sex" is dishonest. Either compare "good sex" to "good anime" (in which case sex wins) or compare "all sex" to all anime, in which case anime wins, because getting raped in a prison shower is infinitely worse than all the worst anime put together.

>Stop trying to pretend like you're smart online.

You're flattering yourself. I don't have to be smart to show that you're wrong.

>B-but m-muh imaginary cartoon characters think I'm s-smart....

Funny, because I never mentioned that. Are you even reading my posts or are you just high?
>>
>character that doesnt act even remotely similar to a real person does something not even remotely similar to anything that goes on in real life
>terrible campy nonsense

you see we call shows and movies that do this in America BAD unless its a superhero movie which means the retarded critics give it a pass
>>
>>35500881
>He thinks there is no difference between pussy and TIGHT pussy
Christ anon. Stop doing the virgin talk.
>>
>>35500769

>the ((((media))))
Why would the Jews want our birth rate to remain positive, my blue-pilled friend?
>>
>>35500930
>character that doesnt act even remotely similar to a real person does something not even remotely similar to anything that goes on in real life
Teekyuu is hardly representative of anime.
>>
>>35500518
regardless of the stupid memes being shown on this chart, K-ON is truly one of the worst fucking shows I've ever seen, it literally doesnt have characters, its just a drawing of a "cute" girl who walks around and does uninteresting plotless things with other cardboard boxes with faces
>>
>>35500930

That's the whole fucking point.
>>
>>35500995
You haven't seen K-On, you're just making things up based on stories you've heard and assumptions you've made.
>>
>>35500978
every single anime is characters that aren't even remotely similar to actual human beings in either their mannerisms, attitudes, or actions. Literally find me a single example that proves me wrong
>>
>>35501019
>Literally find me a single example that proves me wrong
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6164/Aoi_Hana
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu
>>
>>35501016
i watched like 5 episodes and it was actually boring me to tears, LITERALLY NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS THERES NO PLOT OR CHARACTERS

In fact I would struggle to say K-ON is even a real show
>>
>>35501034
this proves my point and your autism
>>
>>35501038
>LITERALLY NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS
This is literally wrong.

>THERES NO PLOT OR CHARACTERS
It's not supposed to have a plot, and it obviously has characters.

>In fact I would struggle to say K-ON is even a real show
It's not a real show. The K-On you're describing, that is.
>>
>>35500275
What's bottom left?
ghbjnk
>>
>>35501056
How do they prove your point and my alleged autism?

>>35501062
Ergo Proxy.
>>
>>35501062

Ergo Proxy.

Considered to be either the most patrician thing ever or pretentious uninspired vapid garbage, but I haven't seen it to give my own opinion.
>>
>>35499785

I like you for that post.
>>
>>35501060
>its not supposed to have a plot
anime fags everybody

them going to a store to buy a guitar is not "something happening" in an actual narrative sense

"characters" implies that their are actual defining traits, actions, and personalities to the people on screen which is not something that exists in k-on other that the absolute most basic possible characteristics which in this case mens cute and cute acting, you know, not real characters
>>
>>35501060
>You can spot the autismo every time he posts
>>
Some people don't like the things you like. Imagine that.
>>
>>35501151

Actually he's been one of the most based posters here so far.
>>
>>35501086
only somebody with autism would actually believe these characters are even remotely similar to real people, this isn't to say they don't sometimes hit the mark but when you mix these characters in with campy anime nonsense they cease to actually be good characters
>>
Anime is degenerate. Fucks with your brain, social skills and functioning. If you watch anime casually it's OK but we hate anime bc it turns people into cancerous weebs.
>>
>>35501143
>anime fags everybody
Why should everything have a plot? Many American shows don't have plots either.

>them going to a store to buy a guitar is not "something happening" in an actual narrative sense
They were buying it so Yui could start practising guitar. It's clearly a narrative development.

>"characters" implies that their are actual defining traits, actions, and personalities to the people on screen
There are.

Why are you trying to argue about this anyway, since you've never seen it?

>>35501151
How am I autistic?

>>35501170
How are the characters not even remotely similar to real people?

>when you mix these characters in with campy anime nonsense
What kind of campy nonsense do those shows have?

>>35501171
>Anime is degenerate.
It's far less degenerate than Western media.

>we hate anime bc it turns people into cancerous weebs.
Weebs practically speaking do not exist.
>>
>>35501167
>An autistic weeb defends another autistic weeb
>>
>>35501198
How is either of us an autistic weeb?
>>
>>35501171

>Fucks with your brain, social skills and functioning.

No, anon, I think you were like that already.

>captcha: select around the street signs
what the fuck.
>>
>>35501197
>How am I autistic?
By having autism.

>It's far less degenerate than Western media.
>He's trying to compare Japanese Cartoons to Western media as a whole
Japs still sell pedoshit. Japs think up things like tentacle porn. Japs are one of the most, if not THE, most degenerate groups of people on the planet.
>>
I think anime is pure garbage but I actually liked one(Berserk). Weebs need to be gassed tho. Worst fanbase ever.
>>
>>35501197
>many american shows don't have plots
give me one that is also critically acclaimed
>its clearly a narrative development
jesus christ
>there are
really activated my almonds
>>
>>35501197

>They were buying it so Yui could start practising guitar. It's clearly a narrative development.

Except she hardly practiced; they mostly ate cake.
>>
>>35501216
You're autistic weebs because you have autism and are weebs. I don't understand what is so difficult to grasp?
>>
>>35501262

>give me one that is also critically acclaimed

Seinfeld?
>>
File: 1488658721832.jpg (155KB, 362x447px) Image search: [Google]
1488658721832.jpg
155KB, 362x447px
>>35501256
>Berserk
>anime is pure garbage
>weebs need to be gassed
>worst fanbase ever
Fucking this. I love you my friend
>>
Emotion is disturbing and anime is overly expressive
>>
>>35501253
>By having autism.
What makes you say I have autism?

>He's trying to compare Japanese Cartoons to Western media as a whole
Sure. Why not?

>Japs still sell pedoshit.
No, that would be Western media.

> Japs think up things like tentacle porn.
What about it? It's completely removed from reality.

>Japs are one of the most, if not THE, most degenerate groups of people on the planet.
I think you meant to say Westerners.

>>35501256
Anime doesn't have a weeb fanbase.

>>35501262
>give me one that is also critically acclaimed
Seinfeld. In fact if we're talking about series-spanning plots, most American shows don't have them.

>jesus christ
How is it not a narrative development?

>>35501268
But she did practise.

>>35501278
How am I autistic or a weeb?
>>
>>35501197
>what kind of campy anime nonsense do these shows have
LITERALLY any moe trope is campy nonsense
>>
>>35501313
>>35501313

That's actually pretty profound.
Might explain a lot of the discomfort people feel concerning anime.
>>
>>35501337
What is a moe trope and what are examples of moe tropes in those shows?
>>
>>35491381
Because it's "cool". They just can't appreciate the potential of a medium that has the power to both calm and excite, make you laugh and rage, depict everything from the most mundane everyday life to your wildest fantasies. Instead, they think themselves superior with their crude sex scenes and vulgar fart jokes. They are sadly mistaken.

In a way, I feel sorry for them. They will never see the true magic of animation.
>>
>>35501356
>make you laugh
More like make you cringe. I refuse to believe that anime made someone laugh.
>>
>>35501380
>cringe
Epic buzzword.
>>
>>35501328
You've been here arguing like an autist for hours using the same lines of reasoning and responding with the same exact answers to questions. Anything that challenges your view makes you shut down until you restart with the same exact lines of reasoning.

>WHO CARES THAT MY "SHOW" IS NOTHING BUT CLICHED CARICATURES WITH NO PLOT
>WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS
>IT'S BETTER THAN WESTERN MEDIA
>(but I'm not a weeb)
>WEEBS DON'T EXIST

>>35501380
I laughed AT anime once. Does that count?
>>
>>35501306
>>35501328
seinfeld has a different plot in every episode, you know where the characters develop, do something that is entertaining, you know basic sitcom stuff, small stories within a 25 minute span. K-ON has no such thing its literally just characters fucking around being "cute", theres no set up, no conflict, no resolution UNLIKE something even as basic as Seinfeld
>>
File: 1489140533349.gif (1MB, 500x599px) Image search: [Google]
1489140533349.gif
1MB, 500x599px
>>35501400
>cringe
>buzzword
alright
>>
>>35501380

Nichijou had me rolling. But I agree that comedy in anime is not ideal, to say the least.

>>35501352
OK, Devil's advocate.
>When lolis do the evil "ojousama" laugh with their hand contorted into that quasi-aristocratic position with the fingers sticking out and the wrist bent over their face.

>>35501411
>seinfeld has a different plot in every episode, you know where the characters develop, do something that is entertaining, you know basic sitcom stuff, small stories within a 25 minute span.

In anime that's often called "filler".
>>
>>35501352
>what is a moe trope

the defining characteristics of the genre???????
>nonsensical cute characters
>goofy/quirky actions
>things such as the liberal use of japanese words like "kun" "sama" whatever the fuck japs say

i mean holy fuck how retarded are you that i actually have to point out the uniquely characteristics of moe, do you even know what "campy" means?
>>
>>35501475

>>things such as the liberal use of japanese words like "kun" "sama" whatever the fuck japs say

Those are literally part of the japanese language, anon. That's how Japanese people refer to each other in real life.

The other things you mentioned are pretty vague. Would you care to expound a little and go into more detail?
>>
>>35501467
if Seinfeld was an over-arching plot it would be filler but thats the regular episodes, same applies to shows like the Simpsons

K-ON has no overarching plot meaning their are no filler episodes, everything is a self contained plot for the most part. Im saying even then K-ON's episodes literally don't have a plot which includes set up, conflict, resolution. This is literally the most basic element of a narrative which K-ON does not fulfill
>>
>>35501532
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Moe

just read this page moron
>>
>>35501408
How have I been arguing like an autist? What is wrong with using the same reasoning and responses more than once?

> Anything that challenges your view makes you shut down
How?

Strawman.

>IT'S BETTER THAN WESTERN MEDIA
It is in certain ways.

>(but I'm not a weeb)
That's right.

>WEEBS DON'T EXIST
The fact that you're accusing me of being one even though I'm not supports the idea that they don't exist.

>>35501411
The series has no plot, and K-On actually has more continuity and story than Seinfeld.

>K-ON has no such thing its literally just characters fucking around being "cute", theres no set up, no conflict
I don't understand why you're still trying to push this shit when it's been established that you've never seen K-On and don't know anything about it.

>>35501460
It is.

>>35501467
>When lolis do the evil "ojousama" laugh with their hand contorted into that quasi-aristocratic position with the fingers sticking out and the wrist bent over their face.
What makes this a "moe trope," and where in Aoi Hana or Rakugo does this occur?

>In anime that's often called "filler".
Filler episodes are episodes that exist to prevent the series from catching up with the manga.

>>35501475
>the defining characteristics of the genre???????
Moe isn't a genre.

>nonsensical cute characters
What does this mean?

>goofy/quirky actions
Very vague and generalized.

>things such as the liberal use of japanese words like "kun" "sama" whatever the fuck japs say
So the Japanese language is now a "moe trope"? Should they be speaking English instead? Or maybe Norwegian?
>>
>>35501534
K-On has no plot but it has a story and continuity. It starts as Yui enrolls in high school, they move up grades during the series, and graduate in the end.
>>
>>35501563
>moe isnt a genre

alright I'm done
>>
>>35493048
ghost stories is the funniest anime ever
>>
>>35501563
>Strawman
You said it earlier you fucking faggot

>(but I'm not a weeb)
>That's right.
>WEEBS DON'T EXIST
>The fact that you're accusing me of being one even though I'm not supports the idea that they don't exist.
Those two things do not follow, weeb.
>>
>>35501534

>Im saying even then K-ON's episodes literally don't have a plot which includes set up, conflict, resolution.

Well, some do, others don't. The ones that don't may be divided up into smaller separate scenes (around 5 minutes long) which have their self-contained micro-narratives with a focus on subtle character interaction. This is common in Iyashikei shows which are often based on 4-panel comic sketches.
>>
>>35501602
It isn't a genre.

>>35501611
>You said it earlier you fucking faggot
Quote it.

>Those two things do not follow, weeb.
They do follow, and I'm not a weeb. You either don't know what it means or you're intentionally using it wrong.
>>
>>35501628
please define the term "genre" for me
>>
>>35501682
We are not arguing what genre means.
>>
>>35501563

>What makes this a "moe trope," and where in Aoi Hana or Rakugo does this occur?

We're talking about "moe" as a synonym of "cuteness done for the sake of cuteness itself rather than any narrative or character-building-related implications", which seems to be the vulgar contemporary definition.
Aoi Hana and Rakugo wouldn't be considered moe shows under this definition.
It makes it a moe trope in that it's a trope that is supposed to be endearing for the purpose of being endearing rather than any narrative purpose or significant character building.
>>
>>35501628
>>THERES NO PLOT OR CHARACTERS
>It's not supposed to have a plot, and it obviously has characters.
I'm not scrolling up further for the part where you think it's okay for looks to always coincide with a personality.

>They do follow, and I'm not a weeb. You either don't know what it means or you're intentionally using it wrong.
It doesn't follow. I suspect you struggle with logic because autistic weeb.
>>
>>35501696
I think its important to define our terms if we are going to discuss this, clearly we aren't on the same track here.
>>
>>35501733
That's not what moe means.

>It makes it a moe trope in that it's a trope that is supposed to be endearing for the purpose of being endearing rather than any narrative purpose or significant character building.
Why does everything need to be either for a narrative purpose or for building character? Characters can't have mannerisms without some 2deep reason?

>>35501736
These are not the same:
>It's not supposed to have a plot, and it obviously has characters.

>you think it's okay for looks to always coincide with a personality.
Where did I say that?

>It doesn't follow.
How does it not follow?

>because autistic weeb
How am I autistic or a weeb?
>>
>>35501809
They are the same you autistic faggot. You're the same cunt who thinks if anime is shit then everything is shit but you can't seem to accept that if your "show" has no plot and the character's personalities can be divined by the appearance due to adherence to cliched tropes then it's a show with cliched characters and no plot.

It's so simple. Fuck off. I'm not replying to your autistic shit anymore.
>>
>>35501861
>They are the same you autistic faggot.
No they are not. Stop lying.

>if your "show" has no plot and the character's personalities can be divined by the appearance due to adherence to cliched tropes then it's a show with cliched characters and no plot
Not everything needs to have a plot, and even if you can roughly determine a character's personality by their appearance, so what?

>I'm not replying to your autistic shit anymore.
I haven't posted any autistic shit.
>>
>>35501809

>That's not what moe means.

I know, but that's what most people understand under the term today, so it has to be taken into account when having a discussion with someone on the topic. I assume that's what the other person meant, so I'm going with that definition for the purposes of this question.

>Why does everything need to be either for a narrative purpose or for building character?

It doesn't. That wasn't the issue we were discussing. The question was whether these phenomena exist and it seems you agree that they do.
>>
>>35491381

Because is fucking shit.

It is done by losers to loser who does not how to differentiate a turd to their own brains.
>>
>Why do people hate anime?

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I definitely don't like it. I've tried several animes that people have recommended and they're all bad.

Part of it is that a lot of them are subtitled, which I can't stand.

And the ones that aren't, I just don't think Japanese storytelling methods translate well to the US.

I find it hard to relate to the characters because their emotional reactions to situations don't match up to what I expect.
>>
>>35501957
>The question was whether these phenomena exist and it seems you agree that they do.
What phenomena? Characters having mannerisms? Yeah, obviously that's a thing. And has nothing to do with anime in particular.

>>35501958
Then logically everything is shit made by losers.
>>
>>35491381

> he watches autistic nu-male pedophile cartoons
>>
>>35501961
>I find it hard to relate to the characters

don't worry, its not because of cultural things its just because Anime is just bad
>>
>>35501982
Are those some American thing?

>>35501996
Then everything is bad.
>>
>>35502018

I wouldn't know, I'm not a worthless NEET
>>
>>35501980

>Characters having mannerisms?

Characters having formulaic endearing mannerisms that are prevalent and similar throughout shows of a similar type, those mannerisms being those are endearing for the sake of being endearing, and those shows being shows that focus on plotless character interactions between characters with aforesaid mannerisms for the sake of their endearment value.
Which is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to today as "moe tropes".

I'm not criticising it, I'm just saying that it exists.
>>
>>35501996
>don't worry, its not because of cultural things its just because Anime is just bad

That could be. I don't have any other Japanese TV to compare it to though.
>>
As a serious answer, it's got lots of culture shock.

Even some of the greatest animes of all time do weird things that aren't normal for American television, animated or otherwise. People are not used to these things in their media and therefore don't get why anime doesn't "behave like TV is supposed to".

Take Steins;Gate, for example. It has a fat perv, a very loud wannabe, a cosplayer, a maid cafe employee, and a trap as main characters. What average American do you know who would consider that normal, and not become very uncomfortable around it?

I get that a lot of this is mainly done to reinforce the location and culture of the area in this particular example, but even when an anime isn't trying to do this, there are always leftovers.

Also consider that American television watching is a social experience. People watch their shows so that they can communicate with other fans about them. And nobody wants to communicate with the weeb community. Like, no offense, but coming back to an earlier point, that culture is different and therefore alienating.
>>
>>35501982

>Using progressivist terminology such as nu-male

I think you've scored an own goal here, son.
>>
>>35502080
Mannerisms are not restricted to shows like K-On.
>>
>>35502124

never reply to me ever again you swine
>>
>>35502123

Well, Steins;gate's character cast was strange even for anime and I daresay rather ill-conceived, so I'm not sure that's a good example. Personally I was left disappointed by it.

Take Black Lagoon, for example. I doubt that would be considered strange by an American audience.

Actually come to think of it, most of the Japanese character tropes originally come from American tropes.
>>
>>35502148

Yes, but I believe I defined what precise mannerisms I meant and in what specific context I meant them in pretty expressly in my post.
>>
>>35502284
You can see the same kind of mannerisms in shounen comedies like Kyoukai no Rinne and shoujo shows like Sailor Moon.
>>
File: 1485258128837.png (71KB, 225x249px) Image search: [Google]
1485258128837.png
71KB, 225x249px
To me anime is just like any other form of entertainment; most of it is shit but theres always something good here and there. For every Neon Genesis Evangelion theres about 20 "Cute loli does cute things" moeshit shows
>>
>>35502358
>"Cute loli does cute things" moeshit shows
These don't exist.
>>
>>35502358

It's funny because there are quite a few "cute lolis doing cute shit" shows that are better executed than EVA. EVA was pretty botched actually, from the continuity of Rei's character development to the rushed ending, to the 2-minute long still elevator scene.

>>35502387
Yuru Yuri
>>
>>35502427
What about Yuru Yuri?
>>
>>35502494

The show is entirely about girls doing cute things.
It is 99% about that with a 1% margin of error.
Saying that these shows don't exist is like saying hentai doesn't exist or ecchi harem shows like To-Love Ru don't exist.
>>
>>35502539
The characters are not lolis, and it's a comedy. "Cute girls doing cute things" is not a real thing.
>>
>>35502387
There are quite a few, allowing you consider middle schoolers or underdeveloped highschoolers "loli"

I hate them because they're usually SOL comedies where the punchline is always "aren't these girls so cute?"
No story, no character development, no laughs.
Just dull cookie cutter characters doing dull cookie cutter things with nothing aside from "looking cute" to set them apart from all the other otaku-pandering trash.
>>
>>35501310
Those aren't particularly unique feels, anon
>>
>>35502587
You're complaining about and professing to hate something you've never seen and know nothing about other than what you've been told.

Otaku pandering doesn't exist.
>>
>>35502581

> "Cute girls doing cute things" is not a real thing.

So the show doesn't involve cute girls doing cute things? Why does it have to be a "thing"? What is a "thing" according to your definition? Why is "comedy" a thing, but "cute girls doing cute things" is not a "thing"?
How does it being a comedy preclude that? Are you saying that a comedy scene cannot contain elements of cuteness, which are just as much a defining element of the show as the comedy? Are you saying nobody watches the show for the cute things being done by the cute girls? I certainly do. Will you argue the veracity and authenticity of my experience and the experience of many others?

You are being disingenuous, my friend.
>>
File: 1479676181804.jpg (101KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479676181804.jpg
101KB, 600x600px
>>35502658
>Otaku pandering doesn't exist
>this level of delusion
>>
>>35491381
why havent you killed yourself?

stop being mean and wasting space
>>
>>35502693
>You are being disingenuous, my friend.
No, I am insisting on clear language and looking at things as they actually are instead of hiding them behind useless, meaningless, misleading abstractions like "cute girls doing cute things."

>>35502707
Nobody has ever proven even a single instance of it happening, and the entire premise behind it is completely delusional and illogical.
>>
File: 1484635151200.png (284KB, 586x634px) Image search: [Google]
1484635151200.png
284KB, 586x634px
>>35502693
>>35502707
Don't engage him senpai. He's truly gone full retard
>>
>>35502658
I've seen quite a few, I believe.
I'm currently trying to slog through kiniro mosaic and gochuumon wa usagi desu ka?
They're both really dull to me, because I don't give a damn about cute female characters unless there's some romance or ecchi subplot.
>>
>>35502587

>I hate them because they're usually SOL comedies where the punchline is always "aren't these girls so cute?"

I totally understand and respect if you feel that way about it, anon. It's definitely not for everyone and very much a "different strokes' genre.

>>35502707
It doesn't, because "otaku" refers to an anime fan, anime being a diverse medium with many genres, which means that every genre needs its own type of "pandering" to different types of "otaku". There is no universal kind of "otaku" to pander to, there are specific audiences and demographics who like specific things.
>>
>>35502427
You're either a 13 year old pedophile or trolling.
>>
>>35502741
How have I gone full retard?

>>35502758
>I've seen quite a few, I believe.
It's very clear that you haven't.
>>
>>35502739

"Cute girls doing cute things" is by no means an abstraction, but a relatively exhaustive and concrete description. "Girls", "cute", "things" and "do" are well-defined words.
How are they misleading, useless and meaningless? You haven't explained.
>>
>>35502771

>a 13 year old pedophile

What? Are you alright?
>>
>>35502819
K-On, Girls und Panzer, Amanchu, Flying Witch, Koufuku Graffiti, Yuru Yuri, Long Riders, New Game--these are all different shows about different things. It's completely misleading and useless to lump them all under a category like "cute girls doing cute things." What the fuck is a "cute thing"? Is riding bicycles a cute thing?
>>
>>35502878
And yet, if an all female cast of cute girls doesn't itself entice you to watch something, you're unlikely to enjoy some of those.
>>
>>35502919
That's not relevant to what I said.
>>
>>35502878

I never mentioned any of those apart from Yuru Yuri.
You've come up with your own understanding of my position that's not grounded in what I actually said.

All I said so far was that "cute girls doing cute things" was a completely apposite description for Yuru Yuri. "Doing a cute thing" is any action or activity ("doing a thing") that is portrayed for the purpose of creating a sense of endearment (cute) in the viewer. Hence, "doing cute things".

The show is about cute girls, doing cute things.
That kind of show exists, with YRYR as an example.
QED.
>>
>>35503097
As I just explained, CGDCT is a not a real thing.
>>
>>35503097
on the subject of yuruyuri, I thought it was relatively funny, but similar to and inferior to ichigo marshmallow in terms of comedy
>>
>>35503110

And yet you haven't proven it.
Your only objection to that so far has been to assert that the terms are unclear, and yet I've just defined them.
Now you're back to simple assertions, which leads me to think you don't actually have any evidence or argumentation for them.

>>35503131

I'd be overjoyed to dicuss yuru yuri with you, anon, especially after this roller coaster of a thread.
>>
>>35503110
It;'s a slightly less caustic term for moeshit. pretending it's not a a real thing indicates you're too deeply entrenched to see it.
>>
>>35503168
>And yet you haven't proven it.
I just did.
>>
>>35495997
I like anime but I swear to god the cute girls doing cute things bullshit has fucking made me consider suicide.
>>
>>35503172
A meaningless term used as a synonym for another meaningless term. Great.

>pretending it's not a a real thing
I'm not pretending anything. It isn't a real thing.
>>
>>35503175

By asserting that it doesn't?

I haven't heard of this type of "proof" before.
Would you care to explain in a little more detail for me?
>>
>>35503110
An analogous situation would be claiming that shonen battle anime doesn't exist, because series like bleach and naruto and one piece are so very different.
>>
>>35503194
Do imaginary things often make you consider suicide?

>>35503202
>By asserting that it doesn't?
By explaining that it doesn't.
>>
Is there any anime where it's hot girls doing "unintentionally" sexy things that can make me chub through the whole episode?
>>
>>35503224
probably, but I don't feel like pimping anime just for some horny kid
>>
>>35503213
I didn't say anything about shounen battle anime.
>>
>>35491381
It's a false reality...sure the stories are nice at times but whether or not I want to accept it anime is a false reality, a distraction from the real world which despite all the hideousness can at times be beautiful
>>
>>35503253
That's why I called it an analogous situation.
Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?
>>
>>35503222

And what was your explanation?
>>
>>35503266
I don't care about your supposedly "analogous situation." I never said anything shounen battle anime.

>>35503268
You know exactly what it what was, you're just pretending like you don't.
>>
>>35503248
But I'm a grown man, anon, and I don't feel like looking at hentai. I want something that is kind of a tease.
>>
>>35503301
look up anime with an ecchi tag. something might blow your skirt up.
>>
File: nami.png (306KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nami.png
306KB, 640x480px
>>35494276
I enjoyed One Piece until I realised how repetitive it was.

>Crew arrives at new place
>Bunch of bad guys there
>Beat them up
>Repeat
Also, most of the girls just look like Nami and Robin cosplaying.
>>
>>35503321
I enjoy it for the comedy and the characters.
It would be pretty incredible for it not to be formulaic after airing for 15 years or so/
>>
>>35503288

>You know exactly what it what was, you're just pretending like you don't.

You listed a whole bunch of shows I never mentioned and said they were all about different things.
Then you said "cute girls doing cute things" was a misleading and useless category, without mentioning why.
Then you asked what a cute thing was and I explained it for you, but you disregarded that.

Never once did you explain anything.
Are you that afraid of an honest discussion with me on this topic? I don't mean any ill will towards you.
>>
>>35503374
>without mentioning why
Are you pretending to be stupid or are you for real? I clearly explained why.

>Are you that afraid of an honest discussion with me on this topic?
Are you seriously this delusional?

>I don't mean any ill will towards you.
You people insist on labels like CGDCT and moeshit so you can use them as convinient and lazy attacks.
>>
>>35503374
at this point, I've stopped wondering whether the poster you're replying to is autistic or a troll.
Either way there's nothing to be gained from discussing things with him.
>>
>>35503321

Fuck dude, you could make that same argument for a whole bunch of classic literature too.

>Swift's "Gulliver's Travels"
> Arrive at a new island
>The population is weird in some way
>Make satirical commentary on British public life
>Repeat

>Dante's Inferno
>Arrive at a new layer of hell
>Everyone is suffering in a new interesting way
>Poetic justice and commentary on Italian public life and history.
>Repeat
>Leave

There are subtleties beyond the overarching formula. In One Piece too.
>>
>>35503431

>You people insist on labels like CGDCT and moeshit so you can use them as convinient and lazy attacks.

Except I already said that I like it and wasn't attacking you.

>>35503450
Yeah, I think I'll stop now. Thanks for your concern. I really wanted to make it work.
>>
>>35503450
I'm not autistic or a troll. Maybe you're projecting.

>>35503531
>Except I already said that I like
You mean you lied about liking it so your agenda seems more legitimate.
>>
>>35503359
Yeah, you could definately enjoy it as a Slice of life series without caring about the plot.

>>35503511
One Piece does have the whole "world balance" thing going on that's pretty interesting, but it's moving insanely slow.

There's also DBZ being repetitive af, but let's not get into that.
>>
it's very predictable most of the time. when i was a teen i would watch harem shit and slice of life garbage to emulate friends and it got stale after a while. not all anime is bad but the vast majority is littered with sick tropes and poor writing
>>
>>35504330
All genres are garbage. Everything is garbage.
>>
>>35491381
3 factors:
1. Weebs
2. Autists
3. The current quality of the anime industry
>>
The only people who got into anime were lonely poor kidd who could not afford cable

was me[\spoiler]
>>
>>35504365
>1. Weebs
Don't exist.

>2. Autists
Meme.

>3. The current quality of the anime industry
Nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>35504361
i was really trying not to say it but you're right
>>
>>35492810
ahahahaha fucking cucklord doesn't realise those boards were made to keep the weeb niggers out and away from the decent boards. fucking autistic cunt.
>>
Because redditors flood in here from /pol/ and enter autismal rage when they see kawaii cartoons in place of the frog memes they were expecting.
>>
>>35504768
>>35504768
Moronic newfag detected.

Weeb boards are literally the oldest boards on this site. The only non-weeb board that is just as old is /b/ and it started as anime/random
>>
>>35504768
4chan was specifically created for anime, and non-anime boards like /co/ and /tv/ etc. weren't added until later.

It's time for you to go back.
>>
>>35492608
This sounds accurate.
>>
File: 1487556268474.jpg (139KB, 700x955px) Image search: [Google]
1487556268474.jpg
139KB, 700x955px
>>35493069
>girlfriend

R-,... R-REEEEEEEEEEE ;_;
>>
>>35496265
>one piece
>dbz rip off
Dude kill yourself what the fuck haha.
>>
>>35505640
No counter argument, just a fucking response for that person to kill themselves
>>
>all these people defending anime so hard
it's honestly not that great just because you like the lil girls doesn't make it good
>>
>>35504413
t. autismos weeboo
>>
>>35506043
I think animation is a medium particularly suited to science fiction and fantasy; artistic depictions of things that would be difficult costly, or impossible to depict with live action (or just look cheesy).
Western cartoons still haven't fully graduated from "programming for children" so anime is the only medium where these fantastic tales can be easily shown.

The sexualization of underage cartoon girls is an unfortunate side-effect. Or fortunate, in the case of those who like it.
>>
>>35506925
Western programs have had plenty of hits and misses. I hate to be that guy, but the 90s to very early 2000s were the golden years of main western animation. Ren and Stimpy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, ATHF, and even early Spongebob are a few examples of prime western animation. The problem is the issue of companies wanting to exploit that, hence beyond the early 2000s being referred to as the dark ages of western animation. And anime is going through the same thing as well, and you'd have to be completely delusional not to see it.
>>
>>35508192
You missed the point. Those are all good cartoons, but it's like comparing Monty Python and the Holy Grail to Excalibur.
>>
>>35508325
I'm just saying that to peg all western animation as kid oriented isn't really a fair thing to say. Like how anime may mostly be a bunch of shit, but if you're willing to look you'll find the really good stuff. I just hope we get another one of those 90s phases, back when things were actually decent.
Thread posts: 477
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.