[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we live in a post-truth world?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 1489108709140.jpg (102KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1489108709140.jpg
102KB, 1000x1333px
Do we live in a post-truth world?
>>
When did the news ever tell the full truth?
>>
>>35486247
We're just more aware of the lack of truth. The lies have always been there. We just didn't have internet and citizen journalists before, so we lived in the lies blissfully ignorant. The past was a more innocent time to be sure. But the amount of people awakening is encouraging.

I do have nostalgia for the pre internet times (or before it became a thing everyone used). When people would actually socialize with eachother.

I remember standing in line at the store and just chatting with the random person in front of me because what else are you gonna do while you wait. There's no smartphone to bury your face in. Try doing that now people will think you're a crazy person, like why are you talking to me weirdo?

The internet is so convenient and nice to have. But if we woke up tomorrow and the internet just poof disappeared, the only thing I'd be bummed about is YouTube. Only because YouTube is the logical conclusion to tv. No commercials and only content you want to see. But other than that, I wouldn't care.
>>
File: 1417421944747.png (103KB, 440x522px)
1417421944747.png
103KB, 440x522px
No, we live in a world where the (((media))) can no longer fully control the facts and narrative thanks to the internet
>>
we live in a bubble world that has been designed and created by facebook and google kikes
>>
>>35486247
We've never lived in a truth world
>>
The truth has never mattered. Humans let their petty emotions warp the world. This is how you get sky daddy and 96 genders.
>>
>>35486769
The modern western world is built on Christian values.
>>
>>35486806
are you saying that the foundational document of western civilization is the Torah

because that sounds like what you're saying
>>
File: peterson sort.png (767KB, 399x1152px)
peterson sort.png
767KB, 399x1152px
>>35486769
the Truth always matters
>>
Lies, deceit, and propaganda are as old as civilization. It certainly seems like things are getting worse though.
>>
File: ca425104f9b7c6650c8bc9e7a55ca560.jpg (106KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ca425104f9b7c6650c8bc9e7a55ca560.jpg
106KB, 724x1024px
The other anons are correct, we've really never lived in truthful world. There were not many opposing viewpoint agendas back then and those who did object got stoned by the village or something.
However in this hyper fast information network all humans are bombarded with propoganda from a million different sources and agendas all competing for your head. One has to be sharp and willing to put the investigative time in to discern truth from fiction. And it can be done, the problem is that it is time consuming and every fake news you disprove, 20 more take their place.
Trump was partially successful in getting elected due to his acceptance of alternative and out of the mainstream viewpoints. He got the Nazi vote, he got the libertarians, he got the conspiracy nuts, he got the anime masturbators, he got the hillbilly, and he got the troll vote. In reality whether he realizes it or not he has ushered in a new age of politics in which alternative viewpoints compete on equal terms now.
>>
>>35487022
I largely agree and I would add that sorting out truth from falsehood is not only time consuming and difficult, but our environment discourages it.

To me the most worrisome cultural phenomenon of the past several decades is the increasing stream of non-stop distraction. We are drowning in an endless sea of irrelevant and useless information.
We've only got so much mental bandwidth and its harder and harder for people to devote it to trying to make sense of a new political climate that is increasingly hard to make sense of.

In a lot of ways that distraction and disconnection from public discourse can be just as damaging as people taking in disinformation. Witness, for example, the people who apparently didn't realize that the ACA and Obamacare were the same thing and now fear losing their health insurance.
>>
File: 515561.jpg (481KB, 1280x720px)
515561.jpg
481KB, 1280x720px
>>35487123
Oh yes, the endless stream of pointless information has turned people to mental filtration as well.
They only hear what they want to hear, and Reddit and Tumblr sites are the main outcomes of this. They form an idealogical bubble where they only link to pages they want to enjoy or hear about. This happens on 4chan too but at least opposing ideals can show up to keep it sharper than the others. This is inherently why 4chan users are on average smarter than other forums due to a sort of forcing debates. A redditor doesn't have to debate, he just has to press the down arrow enough so the goys won't see his opponent's comment.
Of course 4chan users are on average more angry, depressed, and lonely than other sites too so I wonder if it's related. Are we the end result of a distrustful, truthless and endlessly paranoid society? Maybe.
>>
>>35486981
Blame it on the media/technology we use.
>>
>>35487611
I largely do. The medium dictates the message.
>>
Blame it on the shills
>>
>>35487548
Thats still better than scrolling endlessly through 9gag just because its full of repetitive memes and the every once in a while triva post so you dont feel lile youre wasting your life not improving yourself physically and mentally.

At least I think so...
>>
>>35486941
To me, yes. To you, maybe. To society as a whole, a society filled with emotional ignorant apes, nah bruh.
JP is a voice of reason but it will be drowned in a sea of stupidity.
>>
The first world these days has more truth than ever, in the 50s-90s there was cold war propaganda, nationalism and world war propaganda and secreacy from 10s-40s, the the lact of readily available information and literacy pre 1900s leading for easily manipulated working-middle class poplulous. These days with many first worlders being able to read, travel to other countries and witness events, learn around the world in universities, and have an acess to recent news from many prespectives not just from the news stations themselves but from eyewitnesses on social media. So we are not in a post truth society, we are moving into one.
>>
File: 1207283234459.jpg (68KB, 499x297px)
1207283234459.jpg
68KB, 499x297px
>>35486247

I don't like that ideation of it, because it makes it sound profound and noble in some sense. The truth is that we live in a spam world, where misinformation is equal to truth only in that it can be spammed much more easily and readily. The unfortunate nature of ideas is that complex ones tend to be more accurate because there is more nuance to them, whereas simple ideas tend to be less accurate because they're simple; but because of the technology we're surrounded with, it's much easier for simple yet appealing ideas to circulate than it is for difficult yet accurate ideas to do the same. Whatever's simple to make and easiest to digest will succeed the most, and even if you try to defy that you'll find your message taken from you and mutilated to meet those standards.

Anyway, all I mean is that truth still matters, but it's harder to find in all the noise. Hell, maybe it's a blessing. Maybe it was always like this, just in slow motion, and only now that it happens quickly can we see mass miscommunication for what it is.
>>
I feel like, if the Internet was the biggest form of control given by a collective of governments/businesses, then it had major tactical failures. An example this was the freedom of it, now people have realized their artificial state, exploding the societal firewalls of citizen brains

A flaw in the system before the information age was contrarians, critical criticism, and nihilists. However, they were contained, left alone. Of course, there were other flaws within the older system, but generally there was no real outside problem, no outside source (ex. citizens). Now everything has, for the most part, been left to decay as societal freedom has very slightly showed.

What people say itt about misinformation is correct, however if everything I just said was right, then misinformation is the answer to this. If you accumulate and instantly try to collect the amount of info around you, you will only be staggered. Nothing is safe, not even your own mind.
>>
Like I really want to live in a world where priests tell me what to believe. I don't think I could even if I wanted to. I can't feel that kind of connection with anyone.
>>
>>35486247
That implies we ever lived in a world of truth
>>
>>35486831

That's like saying we all came from Africa you fucking retard.

Poor shit analogy.
>>
>>35486247
The moment the majority of all data becomes stored in a digital rather than physical manner is the moment when the majority of information becomes uncertain, and, as a result, reality becomes subjective not just from one person to another, influenced by personal bias and emotion, but for all parties people. Truth will become manipulated once the only proof of an event is stored in a changeable medium.
>>
>>35488981
...What?
Physical documents can be destroyed or altered as well.
>>
>>35489054
Not that guy but when a physical document gets destroyed its almost always discarded and thrown away/rewritten. Also, altering it is easily noticeable if it was printed/inked on, because methods of editing those without something giving it away hasnt become quite mainstream yet.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.