[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking back now, what do you think of the early 2000s?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

File: numa numa.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
numa numa.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
Looking back now, what do you think of the early 2000s?
>>
File: 1484331496174.jpg (41KB, 960x904px) Image search: [Google]
1484331496174.jpg
41KB, 960x904px
stop making nostalgia threads you fucking faggots
>>
File: 2324324324.jpg (446KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2324324324.jpg
446KB, 2560x1440px
It was literal heaven on earth. I just wish I knew that before it ended.
>>
>>35471655

One of the worst periods of human existence. Glad that it's over and that there's no going back.
>>
File: 1408552648654.jpg (13KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
1408552648654.jpg
13KB, 500x259px
>you'll never stay up late over the weekends to watch Cowboy Bebop and GiTS SAC on adult swim ever again
>>
better than the 90s 2bh
>>
File: 488275-xenia-muller.jpg (21KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
488275-xenia-muller.jpg
21KB, 320x240px
>>35471655
it was tits
>>
great tv from then
Boomtown, Malcolm in the Middle, King of the Hill
nowadays all the shows are 'ironic' and 'meta' and 'smart'
>>
>>35471942
Because 12 year old fucking and posting videos of it on snapchat and Youtube and Facebook pages of cringy normie tier "DANK MEMEZ AHAHA XDXD" is so much better.
>>
Nostalgic for a time I know was shitty in reality
>>
>>35471655
as far as I can remember technology was shit and people were more retarded than they are now, not missing it at all
>>
>>35471942
2010s are worse.
>>
I miss Poptropica.
>>
>>35471655
Internet with no Facebook or Normiegram was heaven,it didn't last long saldy
>>
>>35472034
Or even worse le cringe compilations
>>
>>35472065
take your nostalgia glasses off, there were also no other great websites that exist now
>>
>>35472084
Such as?

Youtube existed before Normiebook gotpopular for a bunch of years and that+forums were more than enough
>>
>>35472075
Ikr? There is this Youtube page (or pages alike) called "DANK MEMES" which are actually cringy vines that pisses me off.
>>
>>35472034

Early 2000's:

>9/11
>Dot.com crash
>U.S goes to war in Iraq

Yeah, fun times indeed. How old were you guys during that time? were you all really young? I was in high school and I remember those years being very stressful for almost everyone
>>
File: v8nbzHG.jpg (82KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
v8nbzHG.jpg
82KB, 454x453px
>>35472095
>youtube when there were no channels other than cancer like smosh while now there's pretty much a channel of any subject you can think of
>implying it's a bad thing

you can't even find a single thing to cherry pick on
>>
File: hgh.jpg (41KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
hgh.jpg
41KB, 600x579px
>>35472115
turned 13 in 00' so pretty much the 00's was my prime.
>>
File: bullshit.png (459KB, 848x445px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
459KB, 848x445px
>>35472115
Bad shit happens every decade, you can't just take 3 of them and decide that's all that happened during that time
>>
>>35472138
There were plenty of funny videos and lovely amvs, not to emntion whole movies
>>
>>35472160

I understand that - but that period of time was particularly shitty for many. My parents lost over a third of their collective savings when the nasdaq collapsed, forcing them to delay retirement. I ended up losing a family member in the conflict in Iraq......I don't remember much good about those years, desu.
>>
>>35472178
>funny videos
>amvs

fucking hated that shit
>>
did a little online gaming in early 2000s
like 2005-2009 was fun
/b/tv and /b/radio watching anime and movies and chatting on irc while doing stupid raids

then it just went all downhill when smartphones became a common thing, and normie social media like twitter, insta, snap became huge
>>
>>35472215
At least you don't live in present-day germany tbqh
>>
>>35472215
oh alright then, for me the 2000s were growing up with the internet, the begining of good tv shows, great music, great movies, easy life, etc.
>>
>>35471655
>9/11
>George Bush
>inflatable bubble chairs
>mp3 players
>Disney channel
>I'm blue da ba dee da ba daaaaaaaa gummibear do the crazy froogg

>i was born in 95 so this is all I personally remember
>>
>>35471655
I loved how edgy it was back then.

Stick death
Black trenchcoats
Those black bent round sunglasses
Shit infusion music of rap/metal linken park limp bizkit etc
baggy jeans with cargo style pockets
LOGOS LOGOS ON EVERY T SHIRT
>>
All I remember from the early 2000s is playing Counter-strike and Warcraft 3 in this internet cafe and drinking Red Bull

Fuck those were the best summers of my life. One day these stacies from my school burst into the cafe and called us all "virgin nerds" and laughed at us and left. I wanted to murder them immediately.

Luckily one of them got raped by a guy I know. (he's in prison now)
>>
literally just video games and internet entertainment all of the day all of the night
>>
i wish i had a computer back them but the first time ever online was in 2009 when i was 10
>>
The '90s were the best time to grow up. The mid-to-late '80s were also okay, but there was a sharp rise in drug use, gang activity, etc. back then. Everybody seemed to chill out by the mid-nineties. There was a much greater desire for global awareness and celebrating human diversity in that decade.

Then the new millennium came along and fucked everything up. After 9/11, many Americans embraced the most backward ideologies they could muster, and shunned or ostracized anyone who didn't follow suit. The persistent "You're either with us or against us!" mentality that's been further driving the political divide is only getting worse with the rise of nationalism among youth.

At this point, about the only way humans are going to continue working together is if they're forced to do so by an external threat, such as an extraterrestrial invasion on a global scale. But it seems more likely that we'll just perish in a thermonuclear holocaust before that can happen.
>>
>missed out on the peak of cs 1.6
>missed out on the peak of diablo 2
>missed out on the peak of WoW

The internet kinda sucked if you were poor. At least I had neopets then maplestory and a bunch of other buggy f2p korean mmorpgs. ;_;

4 player console gaming was the best of my 2000s gaming I can remember.

>Time Splitters 2
>Smash Melee
>Warioware
>Soul Calibur 2
>MvC2

Take me back
>>
>>35472115

What is it with you fags blaming 9/11 for everything?

>people are scared nowadays
>9/11
>why did 00 suck
>9/11
>why cant i get laid
>9/11
>>
I remember first properly using the internet in 2003 to play 'spongebob:the movie' for the pc with my dad when i was a kid and then being told by a former aquantance of mine about youtube in 2006 where i would watch old science channels out of mere interest. I also remember there being other old retarded shit that used to be exremely common on early youtube like ufo/ghost sighting videos, lego stop motion videos and crappy ms paint animation videos. Good times for the most part.
>>
>>35473044

>All that subjective tier nonsense
>The 90s were the best time to grow up

This is why millennials are so fucking retarded
>>
>>35471655
i was a miserable teenage kid who was being taught outdated shit at school, internet was slow and useless, and most cartoons were the same thing.

i don't think there was anything good about that period until girls started getting picture phones and sending nudes. maybe 2005, 2006? that was my entire life for a few years outside of sports, just chatting with girls. the instant messaging of the early 2000s was stupid as fuck, just made me nervous all the time and i had to sit in front of my computer all day.

can't say now is much better but since im an adult everything is easier. fact is that most things are constantly improving or getting more interesting at least in pnw of america.
>>
>>35473125
If you were old enough back then you'd understand. There was a clear change in the mentality of normies. Marginalized people and subcultures who were not only tolerated but valorized in the 90s were now shunned . Being an outcast after 9/11 is really terrible.
>>
>had dial up
>loaded a flash game online
>cut the dial up
>could play the loaded flash game with out internet connection

Why am i not so smart now when i was as a kid
>>
File: 1472589047459.jpg (30KB, 480x490px) Image search: [Google]
1472589047459.jpg
30KB, 480x490px
I've been using a computer since I was 5 years old, mainly to play games, but when I was 8 years old (2007) a friend lf mine told me about YouTube, that's when I started using YouTube to watched funny videos and AMVs.
Looking back now, there was something special about those times, I don't know If it was out of my innocence, but there was something special about those shitty tutorials, amvs, funny videos and "scary" videos.
>>
>>35473125

I cited a few more things than 9/11, and there are many others. But that was a pretty significant moment in time. Especially for an 80's kid who was old enough to grasp the magnitude of it and also didn't think such a thing was possible in the US
>>
>>35472873
All these were shit that carried over from the 90s.
>>
>>35473489
I know what you mean, I'd spend hours at a time watching conspiracy videos and spooky shit like that.
>>
>>35473457
>mfw just figured out how to download the flash games from the browser before people made applications for that
>mfw messing around in macromedia and soundstudio to make cartoons
>mfw my most creative activities these days are whether i use a formal or casual tone in documents
>>
>>35473379

No there wasn't you faggot. I was 15 at the time and 9/11 didn't impact the mentality of the normans. That's some straight up wishful thinking right there. Sure, there was discrimination against the mudslimes because I remember seeing it on Oprah at the time but other than that, you're forgetting the terrorist attacks that happened in the 90s as well. 9/11 wasn't a date where suddenly people's perception changed like a hivemind.
>>
>>35472873

I remember it was cool to be edgy

>Flame clothing
>Ramen noodle hairstyle
>It was cool to have that edgy extreme sports font or some sort of extreme to it e.g Chevy xtreme, Game Crazy, Xbox
>Darude - Sandstorm look
>>
>>35473522
>But that was a pretty significant moment in time. Especially for an 80's kid who was old enough to grasp the magnitude of it and also didn't think such a thing was possible in the US

After the Unibomber, 9/11 didn't really shock me. I felt like the media's response was grossly exaggerated. I mean, shit like this was happening all the time in other parts of the world, and even worse shit has happened all throughout human history.

It just seems like it would have been more prudent for everybody to pick up and let go. Yeah, it was a travesty that all those lives were lost, but to allow the issue to divide us for so long is exactly what the terrorists set out to accomplish.

Slogans like
>"9/11 - NEVER FORGET!"
and
>"TODAY'S TERROR ALERT IS RED!"
certainly weren't helping anybody, except maybe the political parties that wanted to win public support through fear-mongering - i.e. Republicans
>>
>tfw 19
>tfw miss the early 2000's
I was a kid and shit yeah, but honestly anything is better than the 2010s. I'm afraid of college, I'm afraid of throwing myself into debt and not being able to find a job. Everything just seems like a dead end and there's no hope for the future.
>>
>>35471655
The replies of this thread will be warped by childhood nostalgia of 19 year old kids.

Hypocritically enough, the early 2000s were the best decade for me personally.
>>35472873
>>35473655
Pretty much because of this. Punk rock was also on the radar of mainstream culture it also got me laid. Cyborg culture was real back then, mostly because people weren't as isolated online as they are now. Failed normies and spergs could all hang out at like The Warped Tour and be beach other's drunken mistake.

>>35473546
very very late 90s though. Most of the 90s was still neon-colored fanny packs and Christian rap.
>>
>>35472065
>go on Wayback machine
>browse old internet

It's pretty chill when I'm tired of modern day internet. Wish you could do that to reality, just travel back in a bubble, just to be there.
>>
File: 1439612827448.jpg (113KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1439612827448.jpg
113KB, 960x640px
>>35471655
I still believe that in the early 2000s people hadn't yet become professional copycats being cynical and mimicking each other to be funny.
People were still legitimately thinking on their own without relying on someone else to think for them. Was nice. I miss it.
>>
>>35473379
Most everyone here was barely out of diapers when 9/11 happened. The big impact on their lives was that it ruined their nap time in daycare or kindergarten.

>>35473585
>you're forgetting the terrorist attacks that happened in the 90s as well

Because they had no impact whatsoever.

>>35474069

People say that it had a big impact on their lives, because it had a big impact on their lives. Some autist living in the woods that mailed a few bombs around isn't the same as people hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings on live TV for everyone to see in a spectacular fashion. It was the single most lethal terrorist attack ever on American soil.
>>
>>35472115
I didn't even know what the twin towers was when I was told some plane crashed into it.
>>
>>35472065
You know you can still navigate the world wide web of the information superhighway without having to pass through social media.

>>35472138
This guy gets it.

Fred Figglehorn, Smosh? No thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5281FaWoNzo
>>
>>35474346
>People say that it had a big impact on their lives, because it had a big impact on their lives.

And that excuses the years of political exploitation, and people reactively embracing retarded levels of nationalism? No. The terrorists won because America chose to expound every little detail of 9/11 until everybody was so paralyzed with fear that they were willing to surrender all their rights and all their privacy to the big cats in Washington who milked 9/11 for all it was worth.
>>
>>35474300
Well you do have the internet to thank for that, because memes.

Some of 4chan's biggest meme icons today aren't even semi-original content. Pepe was stolen from some guy's weird furry online comic and Wojak was just stolen from an obscure Finnish weightlifting forum.
>>
>>35474520
>And that excuses the years of political exploitation, and people reactively embracing retarded levels of nationalism? No.

You're arguing with yourself my man, I never said anything about that. Hell I actually agree with you on that level. I'm just saying that it had a big cultural impact, before that if people wanted to be outraged they would just bring up Pearl Harbor - mostly because of that mostly-fake Michael Bay movie.

I remember arguing about the Iraq war in 2004 on a random forum and I don't even remember what I said but the guy's response was to autistically list out every single 3000+ names of the people who died on 9/11.
>>
>>35474535
Memes is a good example, but yes it is because of the internet that so many imitate something they've since. The internet has literally cause society to become more of an echo chamber on basically everything including political views, social movement, and philosophical ideas.
We're all becoming part of concentrated groups that no longer represent the individual's wants, needs or self awareness.

For example history of the first settlers in America with the Indians, that history is very complicated but is condensed as a historical summary which means the details are lost, and now we all take that broad summary as fact.
That's how this generation is learning about life, based on broad summaries that do not include the details of humanity.
Culture is losing individuality, self worth as an individual. Individual thinking is being streamlined out.
We're becoming more robotic, less sense of humility, or forgiveness. People scared to make mistakes, or to be known to give a bad opinion. Weaker people hiding behind group movements.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.