[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This movie is not groundbreaking. It broke no ground. It didn't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (62KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 768x512px
This movie is not groundbreaking. It broke no ground. It didn't reinvent or reimagine cinema in any way.

I'd give it a 7.4/10. It was solid, but didn't deserve best picture.

Obviously, this has a high metascore and won best picture because of race. Raceploitation.

Honestly, Lala Land, Manchester By The Sea, Arrival and Midnight Special (not even nominated) were all better than this film. In fact, there were probably several others that were too.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted this movie to be groundbreaking. I wanted it to shake me to my core. It didn't.

I don't have a problem with black people. But, it's obvious that the reason black people aren't prominent in film is because there aren't many black directors.

One shouldn't complain about this fact. One should be truthful about it, so maybe more black peoples would be inspired to make movies. And maybe critics and the academy wouldn't hand out bullshit ratings and awards respectively.

12 Years A Slave deserved its Oscar. Moonlight did not.
>>
Is this about the nigger faggots?
>>
>>35446186
it wasnt groundbreaking bc you arent black fampai
>>
>>35446186
>it's obvious that the reason black people aren't prominent in film is because there aren't many black directors
Maybe there are less black people who can act good?
>>
Thanks for sharing your opinion

Original comment
>>
>lala land was better.

No it was not. Moonlight was good but obviously people are white guilting themselves into gushing over it. The writer has some talent but it's simple identity politics rendered as art.
>>
>>35446370
It delves into homosexuality in urban culture and its solid formalistically with a few choppy areas but also a few really cool areas.

thematically is the only way this movie can be considered groundbreaking. But I wouldn't call it that.

The story wasn't told too creatively structure wise or in a formalistic sense.

It had a few visual bright spots, though.

If ts groundbreaking for black peoples, I think it only is because the media said it was.

****spoiler alert*****
If a person tells me that a movie will be about a gay Black man growing up from a boy to a man under a single, crackhead mother in urban Miami... I think to myself: This movie has potential to be earth shattering/to shake me at my core (similar to Requiem For a Dream). That's he vibe I got from what I've heard and read before I saw this movie. I thought it would have a feel like Requiem; a movie that grabs you by the gut and throws you around the room.

But it didn't. It was just simply told with no creative structure, super linearly, with a few aesthetically pleasing moments.

Critics obviously gave this one higher ratify than it deserved.
>>
>>35446420
Yes. It was better structurally and formalistically. Moonlight was a little more interesting thematically and more edgy. That's it.
>>
I'd forgotten how much I loved Caetano Veloso and Jacques Morelenbaum. If you love bossa nova you need these people in your life. Listen to everything Morelenbaum has ever touched.
>>
>>35446186
>Midnight Special
Great on first watch but I tried watching it again on an airplane and I couldn't make it.

Anyway, I thought Moonlight was on-par with Manchester. Simple, dramatic stories told with good characters. Nothing more, nothing less.

Each has their stand-out moments of course. Moonlight has the fucking chair scene and the handjob scene, Manchester has his kids BURNING ALIVE. Overall, though, neither really hit me in the face as much as I'd hoped.

Swiss Army Man, for all it's juvenile humor, was one of the best movies of that year. Beautiful soundtrack, off-beat humor, stupid philosophical musings that I can't get enough of, great chemistry between the mains. Excellently done, for how weird it was.
>>
>>35446186
Looked low budget as fuck as well. I can't believe people were upset that this didn't win best cinematography.
>>
>>35446741

You're right about Swiss army man. The way it used music made it arguably the most groundbreaking movie of the year.
>>
>>35446839

It utilized light in a pretty ways a few times and used some off kilter camera techniques (and editing techniques) when his mother approached him for money...

Other than that, I'd say slightly above average cinematography.
>>
>>35446741

Chair scene was the climax of the movie in more ways than one.
>>
>>35446892
It just looked like they upped the colour contrast post-production.
>>
>>35446340
i heard what you said
>>
The Oscar's had to give this the award to avoid shit publicity.

There was a lot of butt hurt after Adele beat Beyonce for album of the year at the Grammy's. It became 'racist' but guess what? Since 1990 7/27 of the album of the year award went to black people. That's 25%. Black people make up 12% of the population. They're actually heavily over represented in musical awards.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.