[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can animals really feel sadness?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1476507795154brd_converted.webm (2MB, 822x476px) Image search: [Google]
1476507795154brd_converted.webm
2MB, 822x476px
Can animals really feel sadness?
>>
>>35436662
>Can animals really feel sadness?

Yes animals can feel emotions such as sadness or happiness

however, it's important to not anthropomorphize animals - although they can feel emotion, the extent of which they can do so and the emotions which they can feel are different from humans and different from other animals as well.

For example, humans generally feel sadness at the death of family members, do dogs feel sadness at the death of a family member, what about cats? Are the family structures the same, is the relationship the animals have with their parents the same, etc.

Just because the way that animals feel emotion may be different from humans doesn't mean it's any less valid and it should definitely be considered
>>
>>35436662
not every animal.
>>
This is so sad!! please no sad birdy its horrible :(
>>
What's going on in that [oregano] webm?
>>
>>35436858
cats and dogs regularly eat the faces off owners who die in their homes
>>
>>35436950
Bird in a chamber that's being depressurized. Literally sucking the air out of its lungs
>>
Why is this birby cryin' =[
>>
went to a farm at age 12, got to see a cow up close. wouldnt you know the damn thing rested its head in my hand..or tried to. broke my fucking heart then and there, never ate meat again after that. jesus christ it was so fucking....eye opening
>>
>>35436950
the falcon came back to its nest and found its baby dead, that fluffy thing was its chick
>>
>>35436974

>implying animals are smart enough to understand human burial rituals
>>
>>35436950

If I remember correctly, that white fluff on the floor is a dying chick. Bird is literally having a breakdown over its baby dying.
>>
>>35436974
>cats and dogs regularly eat the faces off owners who die in their homes
this is a great example of why not to anthropomorphize the relationship animals have with humans

the way we feel towards our pets is not shared for them to us

Does a cat understand it has an "owner"? Do dogs love their masters like a child would love his parents?

maybe in the dog's example, even if love is there, dogs feel differently about treatment of corpses than humans do. Maybe as the smell of a dying human changes from the living ones smell, the dog no longer identifies the human as being it's master, who knows?
The way animals feel emotion is NOT the same as the way we do. I don't think it would be a good idea to act like a dog eating it's dead masters face means it never felt love or emotion towards its master, we really can't know
>>
>>35437045
>implying animals are smart enough to understand human burial rituals

Elephants do. They hold funerals for their deceased and cry tears.
>>
>>35436950
toxic nerve gas
>>
>>35436662
What exactly is happening here?

>oregino
>>
>>35437052
>>35437039

>>35437639
Never mind should've read the thread more carefully.
>>
>>35437153
dogs dont eat you, cats do though
>>
>>35437040
why is this arousing m8s?
>>
>>35437040
What the fuck anon this isn't funny
>>
>>35437404
Ooooor they just sit there hoping one of there own will get back up again, but then after they do that once and see it won't happen, elephants memory and all of that. But death, no they cannot talk either. If a dog lived so long it'd learn the smell of death just the same, but they die too quick and their owners hide the dead dog bodies so it never cliches when there own dies either. My point is it's unfair to compare the species on that one aspect of '''''understanding''''' death when humans don't know where the soul comes from nor goes to anyway. Some day humans might have robots hide the dead and we'll not know either.
>>
>>35437040
Tbh, the only issue i have with this is that the pupper is alive. The rabbits that are the norm are just as cute

It's better than some shit owner neglecting it for the rest of its life or a life on the streets.
>>
>>35437754
They will.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/desperate-dog-eats-owner-in-geelong-say-reports-20150702-gi3oxx.html
>>
>>35438146
The difference is that in most times this happens, the dog will wait until they're starving, usually several days before eating your corpse. Cats will eat right away.
>>
>>35438185
>>35438146 (You)
Yeah, that's what I've noticed from my quick Google search.

I can't say I blame any animal for eating their owner's corpse. The animal doesn't know that, hopefully, someone will come to check on the owner. Their food and water bowls would last for a day or two at most. Cats in particular get a lot of their water from food.
>>
Aren't emotional centers of the brain really, really old, hence why it's referred to as the "reptilian brain"?
I know that's basically popsci but it's true, right?
>>
>>35436662
Some of them yes.
>>
>>35439048
Not all of them. Fear is most certainly.
>>
Long story short, no, not as we know it. Animals have physiological dispositions, but it is vastly, vastly reduced as compared to humans. Emotions are an adaption, don't put the cart before the horse.

Stop anthropomorphizing animals. They only act and react. There are VERY few animals that have any idea how to think in any sort of human sense.
>>
File: 1473561194842.png (413KB, 4344x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1473561194842.png
413KB, 4344x5000px
>>35436662
I was having a pretty good time until I watched this webm. Thanks 4chinz
>>
>>35439124

Crows, ravens and dolphins, right?
>>
File: 1484349952664.jpg (24KB, 225x298px) Image search: [Google]
1484349952664.jpg
24KB, 225x298px
Humans are probably one of the very few biological beings that do not "live" in the present moment. We are always fixated on the past and what was or the future and what will be with minimal focus on who or what we are in any given instant. There's always some form of analysis based on projections of past and future.

Emotions come from thoughts and reactions based around an event or instant in time that have been projected simultaneously into the past and the future.

Regarding a death, it's likely someone would lament the fact that a person who was once here is no longer here and that they have to continue existing into a future that a person important to them is no longer able to do the same among other subjective influences unique to the people involved.

While unlikely that an animal can understand what sadness or grief entails, it is not impossible that there exists animals with a higher than average level of "empathy" for lack of a better term. Usually a really smart dog or a pet who always seems to show up and hang out when you are feeling down.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.