[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Is CRISPR?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: 14595864656547.png (36KB, 500x351px) Image search: [Google]
14595864656547.png
36KB, 500x351px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCC2oILE7i0

Imagine a world where everyone can now design themselves. Is CRISPR our saviour?
>>
Call me a pessimist but it has all the potential to go wrong
>>
>>35422874
So did nuclear power but look at us now. We're still here and with less wars due to MAD
>>
>>35422874

>tfw you think you'll be able to genetically engineer yourself to have a massive dicc, model tier looks and an athlete body.
>tfw it ends up being used by chinks to make tentacle rape monsters

It cant be that bad right?
>>
>>35422924
There is not enough nuclear power plants if you ask me.

But what would you want to use CRISPR for?
>>
I'm gonna use it so my kid won't be a robot if I have one.
>>
Also curious: what would happen if a genetically modified human breed normally?

Genes don't work in isolation, who knows what they do in combination?
>>
File: 3456789654.jpg (79KB, 500x636px) Image search: [Google]
3456789654.jpg
79KB, 500x636px
>>35422969
For LOOKS obviously
>>
>>35423025
Boring choice, I would go with something health related. Though evolutionary psychology says that attractiveness and health are related.

Some animals have perks I wouldn't mind having.
>>
>>35422853
>a world where everyone can now design themselves.
Genes aren't magic, absolute guidelines, multiple genes can code for the same protein, you're a fool if you think people will change their genetic code to look different, especially when plastic surgery is a thing.
It's great for identified genetic diseases though.
>>
>>35423082
>you're a fool if you think people will change their genetic code to look different, especially when plastic surgery

You're an utter moron if you don't see people WILL use this for superficial purposes when capable
>>
>>35422853
imagine a world where the cost of that design is introducing an ocean of new mutations, many cancerous ones, into your body. imagine a world where we don't know the first thing about genetics beyond some patterns in people with specific diseases. all that shit you thought we could identify gene code for? nope, we're completely guessing. we can hardly figure out what is important in making cells replicate, let alone behavior or human competency.

maybe the world is going to get smarter about using CRISPR but it's not looking good so far. people don't approach these problems like biology problems but rather just look at the chemistry or physics. the constraints here start at govt regulations and end at the unique qualities of every person.
>>
>>35423104
Xe doesn't say that, xe says that it is more difficult as plastic surgery
>>
>>35423076
that's not evo psych, that's just psych.

evo psych would be "all ugly people died and there are no more"
>>
>>35423122
I am not very knowledgable on the subject, but I've read that most plants that are genetically modified die.
I imagine that if you want to do the same with humans some would have to die. But as I said I know jack shit about genetic modification.
>>
>>35423104
Consider how genes work first, it's a web full of linked implications, not just "gene A codes for trait X" but rather "gene A codes for one protein that is involved in producing trait X, but gene B codes for how much another protein influences trait X and gene C codes for the quantity of protein A & B you need for a good balance". One single factor omitted and it all goes wrong.

Meanwhile plastic surgery is just take thing, move it around, sew it back.
>>
>>35423201
Let's not discuss semantics please. I should've really said biology.
>>
>>35423215
most plants that are not genetically modified die too, can you believe that ?
>>
>>35423233
and of course it will take a long time to unwind, but this breakthrough will let us narrow those down a lot faster and the elements we can isolate and modify will be vast

This will eventually be used to change your eye colour, the structure of your head, height, body mass, shoulder width
>>
>>35423269
Don't be such a smart-ass you know what I mean
>>
>>35423337
Good luck narrowing down new data with experiments when it takes 9 months to see the results.
Eye colour and body mass can be changed easily right now.
Height, Shoulder width, head shape are set in time and even assuming you could magically find the "stop growth gene", the rate at which bones generate is slow. It would also cause an insane amount of problems with your organs and mesantery, which would also have to change.
>>
>>35423548

Its really not as hard as you think my dude. Technological breakthroughs are being made every few years, its hard to predict what the future will bring
>>
>>35423714
Scientists estimate the human genome to have 20000 coding genes. Each of these vary in size but let's assume they're all 50 nucleic acid long. That gives us already a sum of a million. Now if you take in account that on top of that, there are four possible nucleic acids, that gives us 1 million to the power of four, assuming my math is right.
Which is, 1000000000000000000000000 possibilities.
Not that hard right ?
>>
>>35423884
Quantum computing will fix this
>>
>>35423981
You can't model something you don't understand you mong, we wouldn't do genetic experiments if we could model it and skip on having to produce a living organism.
>>
>>35423884
50 nucleic acids is only 18 amino acids. Counting both introns and exons, the number would be much higher. Enhancer and promoter sequences could also count as they could change levels and locations of gene expression by being changed.
>>
>>35422853
>Imagine a world where everyone can now design themselves. Is CRISPR our saviour?
I don't understand CRISPR but I think it should be banned
>>
File: 53f.jpg (27KB, 600x765px) Image search: [Google]
53f.jpg
27KB, 600x765px
>>35422853

Assuming it can be made to work, it would be incredible if was given out on a globally universal healthcare system for free (like the NHS), and buying it privately was strictly illegal.

If it wasn't it's pretty fucking obvious rich people are gonna make themselves 7' model geniuses.
>>
File: 1483563449472.jpg (118KB, 600x808px) Image search: [Google]
1483563449472.jpg
118KB, 600x808px
>>35423135
>Xe

I really hope this is bait.
>>
>>35424760
>I don't understand CRISPR but I think it should be banned
Good news for you, it is.
Bad news, that's pretty much the only reason against it with piles of research for it.
And yes human/animal application would take a lot more research, but there is no reason not to use it on plants.
>>
You can regenerate the TP53 Gene and cure half of cancers
>>
Hey, geneticsfags.

I think there's gonna be feedback loops where people who were designed one way go further in that direction until we get mutants who don't really reciprocate personhood with humanity and are aesthetically repugnant. Inb4 "that's just jews".

I also think that being able to treat something implies that you should treat it, which means that we'll be forced to make less room for interpersonal differences and start treating things like personality traits, autism, gayness, and so on. This, too, is a feedback loop.

I don't like that I'm going to be asked to sacrifice everything, including the integrity of my genotype, for the betterment of future beings that might not even be conventionally sentient.
>>
>>35423122
>introducing an ocean of new mutations, many cancerous ones, into your body

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Let me guess, mutations = bad because mutations = cancer, right?

>people don't approach these problems like biology problems but rather just look at the chemistry or physics

Biology is chemistry is physics. The problem is discerning just how many genes affect one trait and to what degree, and then there's epigenetics on top of that.
>>
>>35422853
WERE GONNA MAKE CAT GIRLS REAL PEOPLE.

GET READY FOR IT.
>>
>>35422853
Has anyone ITT even seen the inside of a biology lab before?

A 10% success rate with CRISPR is considered a good day.

>>35425457
Not that simple.
>>
I heard they were trying gene therapy on people with cystic fibrosis and it was making them worse
>>
>>35425767
>tfw cybernetically enhanced cuteboi catboi harem
>>
>>35423884
There are multiple forms of each gene, on top of regulation in expression levels for each isoform.
>>
>>35425554
soooo borg future?
>>
This thread is great and all that, but nobody has considered the primary function for this technology

Genetically engineered domestic cat girls

Thoughts?
>>
>>35422853
>bioshock in real life
>>
Does this mean I can become a beautiful girl?
>>
>>35425554

>not being a transhumanist

This is humanity's destiny. This is what seperates us from animals. Humanplebs can stay with their genetic inferiority and continue living as beast, ill be ascending to a higher lifeform in the meantime.
>>
CRISPR is an important advancement in genetics but the media and even the scientific community kind of overblew how easy/successful it is. My dad thinks anyone can do it in their garage because they sell home CRISPR kits online. In one of my genetics lab classes last semester we tried to replicate the results of a paper published in like 2014. We transformed E. coli to be resistant to streptomycin but the CRISPR group didn't actually have any more success than the group that we just did recombineering on.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.