[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have experiences with psychiatric hospitals? I always

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

File: 2085527625.jpg (37KB, 576x399px) Image search: [Google]
2085527625.jpg
37KB, 576x399px
Anyone have experiences with psychiatric hospitals? I always hear negative shit about them.
>>
>>35391436
I was in one last year. Ask me anything.
>>
>>35391436
Suicidal friend got shipped off their a few months ago. At least in Canada, they try to get you out of there as quickly as possible with as little work as possible because universal health care. Everyone talks down to you super hard. So overall a pretty shit tier time.
The people staying there were apparently also awful. One had an obsession with MF Doom, another won't stop messaging my friend about how much being bipolar sucks.
Glad I've always been mentally sound. I could never survive a day in there.
>>
>>35391436
mine was good. I just chilled out, ate some food, and talked to nice, anxious/suicidal people with the occasional crazy nut mixed in (who was also interesting to talk to). Overall, id rate it 7/10. I kind of wish I could go back to be honest. My life has gone to shit since I got out.
>>
File: Spongebob.jpg (21KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Spongebob.jpg
21KB, 500x374px
>>35391436
bumping for potential of originality.
>>
>>35391436
I was in one for 10 days. Made friends with an ex cultist. Pretty comfy, just get to eat, sleep, talk to other crazies, play board games, read and watch TV
>>
>>35391804
Do you get to watch anime?
>>
>>35391680
>talking to other people
Normie out.
>>
File: resetti.png (518KB, 937x699px) Image search: [Google]
resetti.png
518KB, 937x699px
>>35391804
yeah, i think the reason psych hospitals are known as shit is because most of the people going to them are poor niggers who are there for raping someone who have to live with other fucked up people in a government funded institution with poor resources and abusive staff. If you can get into a private mental hospital though, you're all set to live the comfy NEET life for the rest of your life. Begging the question once and for all: When will you all take the mental hospitalization pill?
>>
File: Impressive.png (142KB, 1439x472px) Image search: [Google]
Impressive.png
142KB, 1439x472px
>>35391853
well, technically they were talking to me and not the other way around, but whatever.
>>
>>35391436
In U.S. I probably will be in one eventually, got nothing to live for and I hate my life, I'm also bad at everything so suicide will probably fail.
>>
>>35391830 unfortunately no, got to watch movies and stuff though
>>
>>35391680
>I kind of wish I could go back to be honest
Same here, last time I went to one it was pretty nice.
>>
>>35391892
well damn, I thought I was the only one who had that feel. I guess not. Tell me, my mentally ill brother, what brought you to the loony bin?
>>
>>35391862
Most of them keep the criminals and so on away from other patients. But I also saw some people just dump their elderly(mentally healthy) elderly families in one just because they could. I did have one experience with this crazy old fellow who would break out of his binds, strip down and flash everyone though. Personally I wouldn't try and live in one permanently
>>
>>35391934
criminals go public, the rest go private.
>>
>>35391436
I was forced to go there twice when I was a minor. They might make sense for some people under certain circumstances but in my case all I learned from it was that there are consequences to opening up about your issues.

It's all counterproductive and they damn well know it. They want to perpetuate your issues so you'll keep coming back for their service. They don't give a flying fuck about your problems, they just want the big fat $$$
>>
>>35391873
don't fear it, anon. I've been in one twice: once at age 7 and once at age 18
>>
>>35391929
Snapping on someone and almost bashed their heads in with a dumbbell. This was a few years ago though, met some cool dudes in the place too.
>>
i'm schizoaffective, been hospitalized 4 times for speaking poetic nonsense and not being able to snap out of it
>>
>>35392094
pls post some of your poetry.
>>
>>35391989
I was in a public one, they just kept the criminals separate. I'm not American.
>>
>>35392147
fair enough ojkugkjhkjkhjkjkhjk
>>
>>35392129
my tumblr is sancap.tumblr.com i have poems on there
>>
>>35391998
what were you there for, anon?
>>
>>35391436

Was a medical student at one for 2 weeks, hospital service for 4. Don't know much but AMA.
>>
>>35392213
tell me what you've learned from all of this. Also, do people get better? Or is that just a normie meme?
>>
>>35392257
it's the schizoaffective poet, i don't identify with my illness as i'm very mentally stable when i'm not psychotic, but when i am psychotic im an insane animal
im also neet now and i used to get attention from girls and do well in uni
>>
>>35392180
what led up to the first time was basically this
>16
>therapist prescribes antidepressants
>i take antidepressants
>i start feeling a lot less depressed
>i tell the therapist this
>he tells me I'm "not well" and commits me
>apparently sudden lifts in mood are a red flag

the second one was because I wrote a very detailed story about a school shooting and sent it in as a writing assignment. This was a few months after Sandy Hook, it contained specific names and times, I got expelled for it in addition, and call me edgy but I don't regret writing it because it was really cathartic. It was probably the worst lapse in judgment I ever had.
>>
>>35392257

Hmm...

Probably about 50-75% of the women in the psych hospital were sexually abused as a kid. To me that was unexpected, just how frequently it came up in the history. Or even sometimes it would manifest during psychotic episodes. Had a 50 year old woman talk in baby voice to me telling me I could do whatever I wanted to her. Boy that was uncomfortable.

Will think of something else...
>>
>>35392447
you made me kek. What the hell were you thinking, anon?
>>
Read up on medications, they are going to try to force whatever flavor of the month medication is being pushed at the moment onto you regardless of if it's really the best fit for you. Don't outright refuse to take meds at all but be very firm, but not agressive, in suggesting an alternate medication plan before they reach right for the antipsychotics.

Ultimately antipsychotics may be what you need and psychiatric medicine is a valid field which helps a lot of people but the people in it are only human and as such are just as prone to greed and corruption as any other industry. Pushing a serious and new antipsychotic in excessive dosages for something as simple as depression or anxiety isn't all that uncommon despite decades of successful treatment for such conditions with better established medications which are cheaper and have less potential for serious side effects.
>>
>>35392491
I honestly don't know why I did it. I'm probably on some kind of list now
>>
>>35392561
true. I was there for depression, and got put on olanzapine pretty much as soon as I got there (at age 18). Also, when I was 7, they put me on risperdol, and I was once so out of it that my brothers literally dragged me around the room by my hair and I still wouldn't wake up.
>>
File: american-flag.jpg (153KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
american-flag.jpg
153KB, 600x400px
>>35392585
well at least you put the normies in their place, and thats something they can never take away.
>>
>>35392488

The borderline personality disorder is my personal LEAST favorite patient to deal with, hands down by far.

They are the most fucking skilled manipulators you will ever meet. They have been in and out of the pscyh hospital more than you (as a student) and they just can read your mind like a maganzine. The only patients that ever kept me up at night plotting how ask my questions and get out unscathed were BPD patients.

One picked up on how uncomfortable I was and would always come up things to say that I'd have to follow up with questions etc just to keep me in the room bc I think she liked to see me sweat. She knew I hated her i think.

BPD are also the sickest patients, imo. One has cost the county tens of millions from surgeries, ICU stays, all related to self harm, swallowing sharp objects, ingestions of chemicals, drug overdoses. Been at it for more than a decade. One day she'll accidentally kill herself, but it's taking longer than most would have thought, she's really good at getting close but not over the edge.
>>
>>35392639
holy shit, ten million dollars? Next time, suggest she drinks draino in the middle of the dessert. That should finish the job.
>>
>>35392257

As to whether people get better, you have to understand that psych hospital is not a place where you really get treated. You wind up there because you have tried to seriously harm or kill yourself, become psychotic and get discern reality from not-reality, you are detoxing from alcohol (in some states this can be done in psych hospitals as well as regular hospitals).

Those are the big ones. So once you stop being psychotic or agree to not kill yourself you're out. Your problem isn't really fixed in a psych hospital. Either you get placed in some sort of program as an inpatient or outpatient, and ideally they fix you. I don't know anything about that because all of my psychiatric experience has been in the hospital.
>>
>>35391436
I've been in three times and I actually really like them. They're safe from the outside world, you have no problems to deal with, you get to pick food from the hospital menu and it's brought to your room if you don't feel like getting out of bed (always request lots of extra salt and pepper with every meal to make it palatable) and you can just sit around and color coloring book pages all day if that's what you want, or they have TV, books, word puzzles, and board games. It definitely helped me.

AMA I guess if anyone is still interested.
>>
>>35392754
would you go back again if you could?
>>
>>35392671

Yeah, I've been to ethics meetings about that individual. Surgeons snidely remarked "next time she swallows razors, maybe she's just got too many adhesions to safely operate on... maybe we just won't be able to"

Really awkward, basically they were saying they don't want to operate on her because she's a waste of time and money. The psychiatrists got pissed and basically said you can't do that and the hospital liaison /lawyer said they would have to continue to make risk assessments on case by case basis (basically, surgery you will operate or have to defend your decision in front of other surgeons affiliated with the hospital).

Really weird situation. I've seen her around the hospital probably a half dozen times just walking around the wards. She's outlasted most of the psych attendings, residents who saw her 10 years ago are well established in their careers now. It's weird. One day that'll be me, maybe (not going into psych but still)
>>
>>35392860
holy shit, how can you swallow razor blades and live?
>>
The one I went to was a dirty flophouse full of weird people.
>>
>>35392639
>BPD
God, this shit has plagued me forever. My mom was crazy and invested in pop psychology, so everyone she disliked had BPD. My sister? BPD. My dad/her ex-husband? BPD. Her brother? BPD. The fucking town council? BPD.
>>
File: 1488824891129.png (160KB, 261x271px) Image search: [Google]
1488824891129.png
160KB, 261x271px
>>35391544
>mentally sound
>browsing r9k

>>35391436
Don't mental cases get sent to nursing homes now anyway? My Dad works at one and it's like 50% crazy people 50% old people 80% crazy old people.
>>
>>35392782
Definitely. Every so often I get in such a way that I feel like I need to go back, but I have managed to stay out of there. However, I would like to go back. It's definitely an option for me in case things get bad again. The last time I was in there was this exact week, last year.
>>
>>35392890
Not him but you don't really need your digestive system to live

And the razors probably just get stuck someplace nonvital and sit there
>>
i get an injection right above my ass once a month to keep me from speaking in poetry and intepretive dancing in public places and running around like a wildman

t. schizoaffective poem man
>>
>>35392969
im more curious how something so big can fit down your throat anyways.
>>
File: kmsmyself.jpg (82KB, 1075x500px) Image search: [Google]
kmsmyself.jpg
82KB, 1075x500px
also i gained a lot of weight and grew a crazyman beard (left is now, right is like 4 years ago before mental shenanigans)
t. schizoaffective poem man
>>
>>35393055
Holy shit, are you James Holmes? pls no murderino in pepperinos.
>>
>>35392890

Oh god, she has done that soooo many times. 3 or 4 since I have been there.

She has insulin because she is diabetic, and she has put herself into comas wound up on ventilator many times from ODing on insulin. Of course she needs her insulin to live so she still has to be able to get it. It's a real problem.

There is a real fucked up childhood story along the lines of what I've said is often seen in women with psych issues of significant morbidity. Hers is particularly bad.

Dayum shame yo.
>>
>>35393076
i thought there was an implicit no bully rule here...im a gentle nonviolent crazy person
>>
>>35393089
>Hers is particularly bad.
Tell us, anon.
Tell us what her story is.
>>
>>35393102
I'm no bullying you, I'm saying you look like James Holmes
>>
>>35391436
They take away literally all your freedom, the doors are all guarded, they monitor how much time you spend in the shitter, they tell you when to go to bed and when to wake up, no shaving, no cutting your nails, you leave looking like a fucking castaway. you will obviously want to pack your things to go stay there, don't bother because they take them all away immediately. no snacks between hospital food meals, either.
>>
>>35391436
If you're considering visiting one because you're dissatisfied with mental healthcare you've been receiving on the outside, don't. They don't have anything you can't get outside.
>>
>>35393146
>>35393127

nah, you just went to a shitty one senpai. The high class ones are really good. Also, even the decent ones are pretty good. Literally just don't be poor and you'll be fine.
>>
>>35393123
i like to think im a bit handsomer than that guy but alright
>>
>>35393195
if you had to kill one group of people in a bombing, who would it be?
>>
>>35393234
white males xd
>>
>>35393185
I didn't find the Bell Jar to be a particularly compelling novel because the heroine described her mental hospital as a "country club" and had a bright future ahead of her despite her minor mental illness.
>>
>>35393185
I'd really rather not be imprisoned anywhere regardless of accommodations quality, thanks.
>>
>>35393259
kek. Personally, I'd choose either muslims or jews. I still can't decide.
>>
>>35393280
what the fuck is the bell jar?
>>
File: rage.jpg (36KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
36KB, 680x680px
>>35393281
fucking normies, gtfo fdfvd
>>
>>35393118

Lotsa sexual aboose, pimped out as a kid. That's really all I know but I hear the specifics are pretty bad.

She doesn't have any actual psychotic disorder. I think maybe like Bipolar type II not even true mania. So you imagine basically she is doing this shit to herself despite not being psychotic.... there is some seriously fucked pscyhopathology going on in there.
>>
>>35393305
A super famous book that teenage white girls find super relatable about a depressed college student who is offered a million good jobs in her field of study but she has to go live with her mom for a month because she feels a little bit sad despite all her big city adventures. she also has a short stay in a hospital that she describes as a country club. Heinous.
>>
>>35393345
idk fampai, the author did kill herself only a month after the book was published. I think she was legit.
>>
>>35391436
It is SO BORING. When I first got there I would sleep to pass the time, but it turned out sleeping all the time made me look depressed so I had to stop or else they'd keep me there longer. That leaves the following activities:

- playing cards with the other residents (fun for a while but gets old after about an hour tops)
- watching shitty daytime tv
- staring off into space (somehow this isn't a red flag?)
- talking with the other patients (also gets old fast)

No phone, no computer, no electronics whatsoever. If you take a book to your room so that you can fucking read without being disturbed by the other patients, then you are "socially isolating" yourself which is another offense that ends up keeping you there longer. I refused to eat for the entire duration of my stay and they didn't give a shit about that, but god forbid you want a few minutes of peace and quiet.

The bathroom mirrors are just really shiny plastic so that nobody can shatter them and slit their wrists with the pieces. They take your shoelaces and you have to go to the nurse's station just to check out a fucking toothbrush (and you have to bring it back).

The next time I try to kill myself I'm going to make damn sure I'm successful, because I'd rather die than spend a few more weeks at a psych ward.
>>
>>35393327
>a robot wanting to be around a bunch stacies who tried to off themselves because chad cheated on them all day instead of in his comfy neetden
Lmao, if you can afford admittance to one these "good" hospitals then buy yourself a home you wouldn't want to leave in favor of a prison.
>>
>>35393404
The book wasn't good, idc about Sylvia plath or her life or her idiot children
>>
>>35393413
are you retarded? Literally anybody with health insurance can get into a "good" mental hospital. Just have health insurance desu
>>
>>35393405
you probably did a bad job trying to kill yourself, I bet you did some stupid shit like take a bottle of tylenol to die, otherwise youd be alive.
>>
>>35393480
* be dead jbbjkjbj
>>
>>35393146
in terms of one on one meetings with psychiatrists/psychologists, this is true, but otherwise, its not true.
>>
>>35393480
Yeah, so did everyone else there LOL

I'm medicated now so I'm pretty normal.
>>
>>35393692
I was a medicated normie, but I hated how liberal it made me, so I stopped taking my zoloft.
>>
>>35393453
>person who apparently likes being monitored 24/7 with no freedom calling others retarded
Literal shill for the psych hospital industry in here rn. It doesn't matter how well funded a facility is, psych hospitals aren't hotels. Some may have better food or rooms or offer more freedom than others but they exist fundamentally for the purpose of stabilizing unstable people. Most occupants are there against there will and even if you enter willingly you can't leave of your own accord.

No one fall for this idiot's lies.
>>
>>35393728
Then wouldn't you just be a crazy liberal? That sounds even worse imo.
>>
>>35393767
Hey! Multiple people in this thread have agreed with me. You're just salty because you're a dindu who got put in a state hospital after you pled insanity to avoid going to jail for robbing a bank, you stupid nigger!
>>
>>35393769
nope, now I'm a white nationalist who wants to kill all jews, muslims, and niggers. Times change, fampai
>>
File: so FUCKING close.jpg (17KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
so FUCKING close.jpg
17KB, 500x375px
>>35391436
I was in THE motherfucking McLean Hospital back in 2014. I met Daniel Day Lewis's son, Gabriel Day Lewis who was also in there for psychiatric problems.

He was a nice kid. Oh also this one girl kept bashing her head into a wall. It was a really shitty exprience by I got to talk to a cute crazy girl so I guess it was okay.
>>
>>35393791
Stay mad shill. Multiple people who went to the facility i was at came willingly under false pretenses on the recommendations of their counselors or whatever and didn't learn what they were really getting into until they signed all the paperwork.
>>
>>35393818
Oh shit, how would you rate it, if you had to rank it from 0 to 10. Silver Hill Hospital nigger reporting in.
>>
>>35393867
Like I said, don't go to a shit facility, you dumb cuck. Oh and also, don't sign paperwork without reading it you retarded cunt. No wonder you were locked in a mental hospital. I hope you get raped to death by a pack of rabid niggers!
>>
>>35393896
This is the mental state of the kind of person who enjoys being in a psych hospital, threadreaders. He was probably faking a mental illness to get benzos or something if he's not a literal shill.

Don't fall for the bullshit
>>
File: mr. rogers.jpg (58KB, 625x351px) Image search: [Google]
mr. rogers.jpg
58KB, 625x351px
>>35393970
No, you're just a retarded faggot who hasn't taken the mental hospitalization pill yet. Here are the benefits of living in a mental hospital forever:

Don't have to work
get free meals each day
get to make good friends
get to meet lots of other robots
get to have decent quality food most of the time
get to settle into a relaxing routine (don't have to deal with change and scary unexpected events)
get to be surrounded by people who care about you
get to do puzzles, write, read, and watch tv all day (basically, the ideal NEET life, but without any neetbux. All you have to do is keep saying you're going to kill yourself or other people)
Get to get unlimited medications
get to talk to psychiatrists and psychologists for free
get to have people constantly checking in on you every 15 minutes to cater to your needs

living in a mental hospital is literally the ideal life. You're probably a mental hospital shill whose posting in this thread because you're afraid that NEETS and wannabe NEETS will realize how good mental hospitals are and try to take advantage of the system, causing mental hospitals to be overwhelmed with people being in there who don't need to be there and have no money of their own, which will cut into your profit margins, you fucking cancerous leech!
>>
>>35391436

I think a lot of people's perception of mental wards is colored by their emotional state/circumstances, except for the couple of cases where the staff are really shit or the people around you are psychopathically crazy
>>
>>35394162
this is a good point. ghjhghgj
>>
File: Psych.jpg (201KB, 959x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Psych.jpg
201KB, 959x1280px
I've been twice in one.
I'm from Mootxico.
AMA
>>
>>35394186
were there any gang members in there?
>>
>>35394124

Your overlords will be young stacies and middle aged stacies who will give you a shot of thorazine in the ass for as much as looking in their direction.
>>
>>35394213
Nope, gang members are too "macho" to accept they need any kind of help, they would be called pussies be bullied
>>
>>35394227
hes lying. Stacies will leave you alone. He wants to trick you so you can't live the comfy mental hospital life.
>>
>>35394186
what were you there for? oyttyu
>>
>>35394227
In my experience you have to get violent, be activity jumping on tables, be screaming incessantly, or something like that to be physically restrained and sedated, maybe things are different in the chronic ward though.

Last time I was inpatient I spent more than a couple sleepless nights in the hallway reading and talking to a cute asian nurse. Her name was Mary, we ended up talking about trains for like an hour somehow one night, it was oddly relaxing. She wrote me a poem about watching the snow melt and the flowers bloom while riding a train back home from a long winter up north. I really wish I still had it
>>
>>35395357
can confirm. The only guy who got involuntarily sedated was screaming and cursing as loud as he could and threatening people. He was transferred from lower security up to us (originally) because he had aids and cut himself with a piece of glass and threatened to infect people with his aids blood. He had 3 warrants on him, and a sherrif visited him to serve him with criminal charges in front of us. That dude was hard core.
>>
>>35395777
oh shit, trips!!!!! nmbbm
>>
>>35391436
bumperino jhjhh
>>
>>35393818
OH SHIT GABE DAY

That motherfucker went to Sarah Lawrence for like half a semester and made shitty rap music about how his dad didn't care about him or something.
>>
If you tell a psychologist you are suicidal do you get a 72 hour hold or is it longer?
>>
>>35396058
thats the minimum. It depends though. If you do it repeatedly they might stop taking you seriously
>>
Are the hospital's good at catching fakers or do they even give a shit?
>>
>>35396058
72 hours is just the maximum for an involuntary hold during a crisis period without a court order. The court can mandate you stay longer if deemed necessary but you have a right to represention and due process and can challenge it but It's different if you voluntarily commit yourself or are put on a psychiatric hold and later decide it's best for you to stay. It varies quite a bit by country, region, and what sort of insutamce coverage you have but in my area you will generally end up there a week or two, maybe even 3 but probably not much more. A month is basically the outside limit for anyone who isn't stark raving mad and ordered to be there by the courts and also happens to have coverage. You have to be in pretty rough shape and have a difficult time finding a medication plan that is the right fit for you and your issues to even be there more than a couple of weeks.

Also, expect it to be expensive even with insurance.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.