[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where exactly did this idea that suicide is a sin come from?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: i hurt myself.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
i hurt myself.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Where exactly did this idea that suicide is a sin come from? Capitalists made it up because their slaves were killing themselves. So they started telling their slaves they would go to Hell if they did it. This idea that suicide is a sin is nowhere in the Bible.
>>
Jew here.

It's considered a sin because of the amount pain it causes your friends and family.
>>
I think it's a sin because it's running from the aftermath of the decisions you've made or taking the easy way out so to speak. not seeing out your fate maybe
>>
>>35348471

The actual reason is dead Jews and Christfags can't give the church money and make their friends/family question gods existence.
>>
>>35347622
i think you go to purgatory rather than hell if the christian canon if you kill yourself
>>
>>35347622
You're close, or at least on the right track.

Passion, or "passion" really, is a weird product of capitalism. I have my doubts it was intentional but it's here nonetheless. Anyways, yeah the idea that you would want to work your whole life is stupid. It's just that there are some people like that and they make the best workers so labor environments became suited to fit them. Now they've stressed "passion" to mean that you're willing to work for nothing and should be grateful for it just because you're in your "dream job."

Suicide is interesting though. If it wasn't taboo then everyone's throught would be
>Sure I'll try that! Who cares if it sucks? I can always just kill myself.
That's obviously a problem since children are a drain on the economy until they grow up and work for a couple decades. Not to mention that debts sre screwed since there could just be chains of suicide to pass debt along.
>>
It's better to be safe than sorry regardless. If you rush in and suicide even when you're a believer, this could be the worst decision in your life. Also remember what Judas did after selling out.

>>35348490
>m'lady
>>
You couldn't give yourself life, therefore giving yourself death disobeys karmic law
>>
>>35348471
Jew here. That isn't really true. The original biblical reason is clearly because of the sanctity of life that is established over and over again in the Hebrew Bible.

A Rabbi may tell you something like what your answer was in this day and age, but that simply is not the origin of the belief.
>>
>>35347622
>Where exactly did this idea that suicide is a sin come from?
all the people who would say otherwise already killed themselves, so naturally with no competition it won out
>>
>>35348507
That's completely incorrect, actually. Suicide is traditionally considered to be a mortal sin. Dante gives suicides their own section of hell and days they'll be the only humans not to be included in the Resurrection.

As for purgatory: First of a, it isn't a part of the "Christian canon" as such. Protestants do not believe in purgatory because it is exclusively part of Catholic tradition and is never mentioned in the Bible (except maybe the Apocrypha which is largely ignored by Protestants, not sure). I don't know whether Orthodox believe in it. Purgatory is a place where Christians do penance for sins that they have already confessed in life and been forgiven of by God. Suicides can't confess to their crime because they're dead and it's too late at that point, so game over for them.
>>
>>35348737
On top of that, God could justify it as a person trying to take the easy way out and not be held accountable for their sins. Judas did it when he fucked over Christ, not waiting for the consequences of his actions. For the regular person though, it means not professing that final sin. All sins are equal but it seems that some sins are more equal than others.
>>
Any reason why euthanasia is illegal? Obviously a patient should be psychologically competent to make long term decisions in order to choose to die but he should be able to die if he wants.
>>
>>35349004
There is Right to Die for depressed people who have exhausted all their options. I believe Belgium has this.
>>
>>35347622
Its between you and God or not to know, whether its a sin.
>>
>>35347622
>Capitalists made it up
Are communist seriously this stupid?
>>
>>35349407
wtf you're not allowed to kill yourself! then you wouldn't be able to wageslave and consume for us!
>>
>>35349443
Okay prove that's why it's a sin, because Christians call it a sin because of the sixth commandment.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.