[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else is a learner here? I love learning. I read books all

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: f93.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
f93.png
279KB, 898x790px
Who else is a learner here?

I love learning. I read books all the time. I like history, art, and philosophy. I have no idea why people are content to know so little about the world.

I hate that in a year or two, when I've graduated from university, much of my free time will be spent doing the same tedious tasks for 40 hours a week when I could use that precious time to further nurture my mind. Even a simple part time retail job proved to be unfulfilling to me. My coworkers and "superiors" resented that I would spend the less busier hours doing research instead of meaningless busywork, and I eventually got fired.

I would love to live a life of contemplation, but the world thinks it's mere idleness and hates me for it. I would love to discuss interesting subjects with other intelligent people, but frankly, I just can't find anyone to match my interests.

People instead love to discuss inane gossip and insipid pop culture artifacts. They often can only stare blankly at me when I try to discuss more important topics. Their brains just aren't developed enough to understand me. I'm very unpopular because of this. Forgive my use of a rather stale meme, but I am literally too intelligent to succeed in this world.
>>
File: 1471276.png (108KB, 357x368px) Image search: [Google]
1471276.png
108KB, 357x368px
>to intellegent to learn
>>
>>35346801
i've been asking >>>/qa/ for a learning board but they just ignore me
>>
>>35346801
>tfw i forget almost everything i read about
Being a brainlet is suffering in this world.
>>
File: 1488150957726.png (10KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1488150957726.png
10KB, 645x773px
>tfw literally can't learn anything
please help
>>
>>35346801
I used to read all day at my last job and do history, tech, and philosophy podcasts on my hour long commute to and from class.

I moved 5 minutes away from school and started a new job that's also 5 minutes away. They don't allow reading and I got flipped shit on for trying.

I miss that commute and I miss that job. I know this is a bait thread but it made me nostalgic for it.
>>
>>35346801
I find learning new things to be itself a pleasurable experience. that moment of "Ah! I get it!" is wonderful. Sadly I haven't learned much in the past few years.
>>
File: 1484250120978.png (205KB, 3340x3176px) Image search: [Google]
1484250120978.png
205KB, 3340x3176px
>>35346801
Why learn when you can think?
>>
>>35347097
hahah I can't believe people made more of these, post them all anon
>>
I love learning but I have had a hard time learning(more practicing) my maths. It takes too much dedicated focus when I usually tend to let my mind wander
>>
It seems to me that you guys have to be pretty damn well-read to brag about it.

What are some books/novels that you would recommend for food for though/culture enrichment? I have never been a big reader, the last known books I've read was 1984 and Nautilus.
>>
Tfw when in Uni and can't choose what to read. Literally reading some gay ethnography for one class.
>>
>>35347667
also, preferably something that will make me even more depressed
>>
>>35347742
*not

I mean not more depressed
>>
I like the idea of learning but I've always been shit at it
Help me learn programming and Japanese roboto, please
>>
File: 1470954908393.jpg (1MB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1470954908393.jpg
1MB, 2048x1366px
>>35347802
Philosophy related stuff, unless you want the motivational/help books.

Honestly I believe everyone has an existential crisis, and the philosphy that resonated the most for me was Absurdism and Albert Camus.
>>
>considers himself a learner
>isn't studying hardout to do a phd so he can be a professor and learn eternal
>>
>>35346801
I'm too dumb to learn OP.

I just find it intresting but after a while i just drop and forget everything that i had ""learned""
>>
>>35348144
Thank you anon, I'm definitely saving that picture. Existential crisis is definitely something that bothers me to the point of underachievement and inaction, I hope I can get a better understanding of how other great/thinking people deal with it.

Could you please recommend a few that are beginner friendly? I'm not exactly a well-read person, and I'd feel frustrated if the first philosophy book I touch makes me flip through the dictionary every 2 sentences.
>>
>>35347541
>>35347097
seconded to this boy
>>
>>35348144
>Camus
He is a degenerate and tries too hard to be edgy, imho.
>>
>>35346934
How would it be something that can't be covered by /lit/ or /his/ or others?
>>
>TFW can't learn anymore

If I read an article and you asked me to tell you what it said, I wouldn't even know. I will read things but they don't stay in my brain
>>
>>35348395
One thing that helps me is to summarize what I read in my head and put it in my own words.

The bad part of this is that reading books takes ages but the good part is I get so much out of them, to the point that apparently mediocre books are brain sex to me.
>>
>>35348144
>>35348361
>l'etranger

Just realized I've read it in french in my highschool, montreal.

What's supposed to be the meaning conveyed? The amoral dude committed a murder and then got executed.
>>
>>35348246
No problem anon.
Honestly the books will depend on what exactly you think is "right" for you.
I could give you a list of books I have read, but most of them didnt help on the issue other than knowing more.

I recommend you do some searching about the philosphies, then you look into philosophers and ideas.
Personally Stoicism, absurdism, and Nietzche were the best for me.
Dont feel intimidated, we all have to start somewhere.
>>
>>35348428
Right? Camus is cattlefeed for trendy pseudo-intellectuals.
All philosophy which forsakes the divine element and leads people away from higher consciousness is trash.
>>
>>35348529
No, I mean I didn't really get it. I liked the general feel to the novel, it's pretty cool except for the MC getting executed for ambiguous jurisdiction.
>>
>>35348361
Well, honestly the only thing that I took seriously about him is:
The Myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>35348569
There is nothing of note to "get".
Welcome to absurdism, nihilism's attractive cousin.
>>
>>35348456
Knowing more is all I want, I know it's a different fit for everyone depending on a whole bunch of personal variables.

I will do a search online but could you recommend like 3 from your list that are relatively easy read? Except The Stranger since I've read it.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (58KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
58KB, 500x380px
>>35348619
Well played. To think even the oblivious MC got pussy.
>>
>>35348623
Well, if what you seek is knowledge, start with the Greek classical works.
As for the 3 examples I gave you:
>Stoicism - Meditations
>Absudism - The myth of Sisyphus (Most helpful personally)
>Nietzche - Ecce Homo was the easiest for me, many confuse Nietzches works
>>
>>35348749
Alright anon, you really made my night anon. Thank you very much. I will read them maybe I will find that there is more of a purpose other than feeling comfort.
>>
File: 1481236949467.jpg (94KB, 632x802px) Image search: [Google]
1481236949467.jpg
94KB, 632x802px
>>35348836
No problem anon, I wish you luck, and patience on your newly born quest for knowledge, hopefully your will learn from this suffering (Youll get if you read pic related).
>>
>>35348903
I've looked up a bit on Ecce Homo. Is it really really like a mad rumbling of a nearly insane Nietzche?
>>
>>35348965
That's Nietzche in a nutshell. Crazy fuck had too many woes. His wisdom is absolutely tainted with negativity.
>>
>>35348965
No, Nietzche became insane soon after.
He was sane when he wrote it, Ecce Homo is not as "heavy" as his other works.
>>
>>35349005
I'd still like to witness it. Hopefully, the negativity won't get to me. I'm already a not very cheerful individual.

>>35349031

That's good to hear, Nietzche is a very reputed writer. I don't want to see him as someone crazy right off the bat after reading his work for the first time.
>>
Hey all
I created a skype group for lifelong learners.
The group will be a place for people to share books, tutorials and knowledge they love.
https://join.skype.com/BgKXiyxj70SK

We could also make a rabbit group so people get to watch lectures together.
Everyone is welcome.
>>
File: HRE.jpg (37KB, 320x385px) Image search: [Google]
HRE.jpg
37KB, 320x385px
>>35349226
Would join, but I hate skype
>Shitty software
>>
>>35349285
rip
whats your field of interest?
>>
>>35349285
Seconded. I'm keen though. What else is good?
>>
>>35349310
History mainly, and Science (Astronomy, Biology, and a little of Physics).
Yours phamalam?
>>
>>35349385
math, finance, philosophy
>>
would you guys prefer an irc channel?
>>
>>35349401
>Finance
Thats a first, whats so interesting about it?
Honest inquiry. Mostly deals with investments, correct?
>>
No one asked me but physics, history, language/etymology and religion.
>>35349401
You good at advanced calculus my dude?
>>
>>35349226
>>35349376
Never tried discord, is it reliable?
>>
>>35349471
Its a mix of optimization plus luck.
Its like glorified gambling.

>>35349477
yeah, im studying to become an actuary right now.
>>
>>35349485
its k
more people uses skype tho.
discord is more for gaming.
>>
>>35349512
Guess Ill download the app on my phone, and join m8, maybe it will run better , give me a few min.
>>
>>35349605
just fyi, the group isn't doing too well.
You will be member number one (1).
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.